over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

MEDIAL HEAD OF CALVES

little slice

Featured Member / Kilo Klub
as anyone who has seen my pics probably already knows, the medial (inside) heads of my calves are pretty much non-existent.

the muscles just do not fire during calf raises... any type of calf raises...

the outside of the calf fires just fine though, and the soleus is there as well..

so im guessing it's a nerve issue.

I made the mistake of pinning one of my calves with a little bit of gear a few years ago.. it was painful... and im confident that ive never torn anything in my calves.

does anyone have any suggestions/insights?

what type of physician/sports therapist should I see about this?

ty bros :headbang:

to clarify, the medial heads ARE there...barely

I have to rotate my foot/ankle all kinds of weird ways to get it visible though... and even then, it's just soft and doughy feeling

I have the outer head, then it's just this 'drop off' where the medial head is/should be.

Maybe this helps:try doing leg curls but keep your toes fully flexed toward your shins (using tibia), tibia may tire but this can help some people feel the calf area you mention so you can target it better with practice while doing standing calf raises, feet straight.

Maybe this helps:try doing leg curls but keep your toes fully flexed toward your shins (using tibia), tibia may tire but this can help some people feel the calf area you mention so you can target it better with practice while doing standing calf raises, feet straight.

that's good advice

but ive tried it, for several weeks.

If both legs have the same issue I highly doubt that it’s a nerve issue , probably just genetics. I get best results for the medial is with toes out doing a very deep stretch then only coming about half way up

If both legs have the same issue I highly doubt that it’s a nerve issue , probably just genetics. I get best results for the medial is with toes out doing a very deep stretch then only coming about half way up

do your medial heads fire doing just standard standing calf raises though?

doesn't matter the angle, or the type of raise, etc.. my inner heads just do not fire.

I don't think it's genetic, because the muscles ARE there.. I just can't tense/activate them

Have you tried doing calf raises slowly with just your body weight or lower weights? I find that when you start to use heavy weights, your more dominant parts of the calf muscle takes over.
It may just be more about recognizing when the weights trigger an automated response for your dominant parts of the calf to do the work.
I hope that makes sense

Have you tried doing calf raises slowly with just your body weight or lower weights? I find that when you start to use heavy weights, your more dominant parts of the calf muscle takes over.
It may just be more about recognizing when the weights trigger an automated response for your dominant parts of the calf to do the work.
I hope that makes sense

makes sense

a "you're only as strong as your weakest link" - type of thing

I think most people train calves with way too much weight.

I’d lighten the weight and concentrate on FULL range of motion.

All the way up, pause and flex, then all the way down, pause and flex.

More than any other muscle, I think you need to really Burn the calves for growth.

I see people get into a rhythm with calves, to where they’re just bouncing the weight, up and down.

Last edited:
I think most people train calves with way too much weight.

I’d lighten the weight and concentrate on FULL range of motion.

All the way up, pause and flex, then all the way down, pause and flex.

More than any other muscle, I think you need to really Burn the calves for growth.

I see people get into a rhythm with calves, to where they’re just bouncing the weight, up and down.

yeah I've tried just about everything... including 5/5/5 temp (concentric/contraction/eccentric), extreme stretching, toes in/toes out

standing, seated, donkey, single, etc..

guess i'll give the super light weight a shot, then go see a sports therapist lol

What about using a compex type of device? I've had some reasonable success with developing a better connection with certain weaker parts using a compex a couple times a week. Probably a long shot, but just the first thing that came to mind.

I know we've talked before about some different techniques, so I have no doubt you've pretty well exhausted every variation of foot placement, angle, etc...

What about using a compex type of device? I've had some reasonable success with developing a better connection with certain weaker parts using a compex a couple times a week. Probably a long shot, but just the first thing that came to mind.

I know we've talked before about some different techniques, so I have no doubt you've pretty well exhausted every variation of foot placement, angle, etc...

do those actually work?

Try sitting on a smith machine with bar resting right before your knees, and do calf raises with toes sitting on a platform or multiple plates.

Do these slowly; they're super painful and hurt your leg too because of the bar ( :) ).

A jerry rigged way of doing calf raises, but very effective.

Like gunsmith said; it's not like you have an exact form of nerve issue in both calves, but it's a tricky thing to diagnose. Anything with nerves is (wish we had a way of doing a full body scan that would map out nerve geography in your body, and we'd be able to see points of impact...dreams of a nerd :eek: )

There really isn't a Medial head of the calves
watch this
follow it
then complain
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21inrjhoFkQ"]The Most Scientific Way to Train CALVES in 2018 (Science Explained) - YouTube[/ame]

Try sitting on a smith machine with bar resting right before your knees, and do calf raises with toes sitting on a platform or multiple plates.

Do these slowly; they're super painful and hurt your leg too because of the bar ( :) ).

A jerry rigged way of doing calf raises, but very effective.

Like gunsmith said; it's not like you have an exact form of nerve issue in both calves, but it's a tricky thing to diagnose. Anything with nerves is (wish we had a way of doing a full body scan that would map out nerve geography in your body, and we'd be able to see points of impact...dreams of a nerd :eek: )

That's a seated calf raise . A donkey calf has the legs only slightly bent which includes the gastroc not just the soleus

I feel like to an extent it does. No crazy muscle building or anything like that, but it's definitely helped me to "reconnect" with my biceps and triceps on my left arm, and helped with actually feeling my left quad flex. It's good for general rehab after a heavy workout or something to throw on before training to get the muscles warmed up. Takes some getting used to, but I feel like it's helped keep my joints and tissue a little healthier this prep.

do those actually work?

That's a seated calf raise . A donkey calf has the legs only slightly bent which includes the gastroc not just the soleus

I should've added the seated part

as anyone who has seen my pics probably already knows, the medial (inside) heads of my calves are pretty much non-existent.

the muscles just do not fire during calf raises... any type of calf raises...

the outside of the calf fires just fine though, and the soleus is there as well..

so im guessing it's a nerve issue.

I made the mistake of pinning one of my calves with a little bit of gear a few years ago.. it was painful... and im confident that ive never torn anything in my calves.

does anyone have any suggestions/insights?

what type of physician/sports therapist should I see about this?

ty bros :headbang:

Try this for a while. Make sure to stretch the fibers during each movement. So on the negatives stretch out the calves as much as possible. Let it hurt a bit, and then positive. Do this on all calf exercises. Do a great stretch between each set too.

Try doing the DC calf method Dante put out on the incline treadmill walking. Smokes every area of my calves. Also....smash and roll the shit out of your calves on a barbell to try and free up any bound up tissue in there

Occluded calf raises could be helpful too due to additional bloodflow

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
bg15351
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity