over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Mentzer on nutrition

b40361

Newbies
So I have been on the shelf for past 18 months tore my alnar nerve. In this time I have been reading mostly about 70 and 80 s. Stuart mcrobert Mike mentzer Dr Ellington bill pearl Casey victor mostly. But Mikes take on nutrition is very different . I am 42 and my days of putting 400 to 500 grams of protein are over. So I found lots on mikes take on nutrition 60 25 15 with huge watch on calories. Mike said as long as he stayed under 2000 calories he could eat. The man said he ate every morning in prep carrot cake. Anyways the man in my opinion was dam near perfect at the 1980 Mr Olympia. He did get a perfect 300 at the Mr universe

So I have been on the shelf for past 18 months tore my alnar nerve. In this time I have been reading mostly about 70 and 80 s. Stuart mcrobert Mike mentzer Dr Ellington bill pearl Casey victor mostly. But Mikes take on nutrition is very different . I am 42 and my days of putting 400 to 500 grams of protein are over. So I found lots on mikes take on nutrition 60 25 15 with huge watch on calories. Mike said as long as he stayed under 2000 calories he could eat. The man said he ate every morning in prep carrot cake. Anyways the man in my opinion was dam near perfect at the 1980 Mr Olympia. He did get a perfect 300 at the Mr universe
Them pain pills are getting to you. I think you forgot to ask a question or make a single point.

You forgot . . . he was a proponent (later on) of drinking your own urine.

Just so you know In regards to nutrition, Mike had no original ideas - he was literally reciting the food pyramid, which is a great way to make yourself sick/ill. As stated in my prior post, the conditioning was highly likely due to amphetamines. Its not the healthiest way to cut, but its pretty easy to load up on AAS, eat amphetamines and walk around all day (increase activity) and eat when and whatever you can within reason, you WILL get cut and your mileage will vary.

The only advice I'd ever take from Mentzer is the best way to take amphetamines.
That’s kinda a cold shot at Mike but I get it 😉

He was a Jones wannabe, right down to the smoking, gravely voice and conversation style.

But I give him some credit for trying to inject some logic and simplicity into training even though by his own admission he built his most muscle working out 4 days a week multiple sets.

I have no co clue what he advocated nutrition wise. Was not even aware he had a nutritional ‘plan’. (I was only interested in training.) But knowing Mike, it could easily have been controversial with questionable results.

Just remember that Mike was heavy on amphetamines! So
Oops, had not read any replies

Mike Mentzer never drank his own urine. That rumor originated with Dan Duchaine and has been debunked over and over. Mike addressed this in his last known interview with Muscle Magazine. He laughed and said, "How would anyone know if I drank my own urine?" Then unequivocally denied doing it. Doc's also used to prescribe amphetamines all the time for various conditions back then - which is how he took it. Really not much different that Adderall, Concerta, or Vyvance, which are all heavily prescribed today. More rumors that Mike acted erratic and crazy have never been substantiated and are bullshit.

A lot of regurgitated nonsense spread by the bro's, LOL. What's new? Mike was one of the pioneers in the Golden Era. Back before the internet, forums, and youtube. Back when you actually had to read a book. Mike was studying to be a physician at one point (psychiatrist) and took pre med classes and read medical books constantly while he was competing early on. He experimented. Tried new things. Talked a lot about making mistakes, especially during prep. Though he followed Jones' work, he never had a coach or someone who told him what to do. That's one of things I appreciate a lot about that era.

Most people look back and shit on him and his work but really have no idea what the fuck they're talking about, as evidenced by some of the dumbass comments on this thread. Now everybody has a coach. "Hey, I'm a dumb fuck, teach me to train, eat, do gear, cycle, and prep." Lol, all kidding aside I know a lot of people make money as coaches on here. But if you do, just give due respect to the greats who came before you (whoever you are) and actually thought for themselves. Mike was a beast and beat Robby and other greats a long the way.

Lesson for the day: stop spreading things you know nothing about =)

Not taking anything away from the guy but his amphetamine use combined with some other trauma/life eventa etc led to him being institutionalized multiple times over a period of years. He dealt with some serious mental health issues (amphetamine can make that hard battle even harder) and eventually won that fight. This is self admitted by him in interviews so not some wild bro rumor. No idea on some of the others. He did turn me onto Ayn Rand's books and objectivism which I got something out of (Atlas Shrugged being infinitely better/more entertaining than Fountainhead).

As far as his physique at its peak. Man, it epitomizes mesomorph and honestly it may be equaled but not surpassed. Dude looked badass like no one else.

Mike Mentzer never drank his own urine. That rumor originated with Dan Duchaine and has been debunked over and over. Mike addressed this in his last known interview with Muscle Magazine. He laughed and said, "How would anyone know if I drank my own urine?" Then unequivocally denied doing it. Doc's also used to prescribe amphetamines all the time for various conditions back then - which is how he took it. Really not much different that Adderall, Concerta, or Vyvance, which are all heavily prescribed today. More rumors that Mike acted erratic and crazy have never been substantiated and are bullshit.

A lot of regurgitated nonsense spread by the bro's, LOL. What's new? Mike was one of the pioneers in the Golden Era. Back before the internet, forums, and youtube. Back when you actually had to read a book. Mike was studying to be a physician at one point (psychiatrist) and took pre med classes and read medical books constantly while he was competing early on. He experimented. Tried new things. Talked a lot about making mistakes, especially during prep. Though he followed Jones' work, he never had a coach or someone who told him what to do. That's one of things I appreciate a lot about that era.

Most people look back and shit on him and his work but really have no idea what the fuck they're talking about, as evidenced by some of the dumbass comments on this thread. Now everybody has a coach. "Hey, I'm a dumb fuck, teach me to train, eat, do gear, cycle, and prep." Lol, all kidding aside I know a lot of people make money as coaches on here. But if you do, just give due respect to the greats who came before you (whoever you are) and actually thought for themselves. Mike was a beast and beat Robby and other greats a long the way.

Lesson for the day: stop spreading things you know nothing about =)
You make some very good points. Thanks for taking the time.

While I appreciate you setting the record straight about the urine (will take your word for it since Mike is no longer with us) I stand by any other remarks and comments (opinions will be read as opinions) as I have have met and talked with him and watched him and his brother work out a few times at Golds and have have several long phone conversations with Mike as a function of a book project I was working on at the time.

Not dissing you personally as much of what you said I believe to be true.

And as far as his mental health is concerned (not a laughing matter), he was a bit ‘unstable’ by his own admission and his erratic behavior got him fired from one job, I know the man who fired him and his episodes are indeed fact. Mike really did suffer in that department and for that I feel the utmost compassion.

Just trying to set another record straight.

Amphetamines also fueled his extremely high intensity workout.
Amphetamines and the works of philosopher Ayn Rand of course 😂
That would be so uncomfortable. HR into the stratosphere. I guess if lifting weights, with enough time between sets it works. But I like to run miles after working out. So sky high HR is a no no.

Sooo quite a few posts in on this thread and still not a single damn thing about Mike and his nutrition….

Such a cool thread..

I saw the bottom of this thread that I had done a thread like this a couple months back and I had a TBI so sometimes I repeat myself I apologize

Sooo quite a few posts in on this thread and still not a single damn thing about Mike and his nutrition….

Such a cool thread..
Do you really want to know about Mentzer's nutrition? Do you really think that's going to help you progress?

Nutrition from the golden age is a joke. Back then guys knew a fraction of what we know today on nutrition and it's one of the reasons guys are so much bigger and leaner today. Guys in the golden age over-trained and under-recovered because they didn't have a diet that supported their training. As good as one might think those physiques are they all would've been better if they had today's knowledge of nutrition.

If you really do want to learn about Mentzer's nutrition get on YouTube, tons of his seminars and interviews have been uploaded in the last few years.

I don’t think Mentzer’s nutrition philosophy was his biggest contribution to bodybuilding. I think his greatest contribution was helping a bit to create Dorian Yates, who took what he liked from Mentzer, rejected the rest, and then went on to surpass him by far.

Didn't know Mentzer but I can tell you what I saw working at hardcore gyms in the mid 80's from high ranking amateurs and a handful of pros. Here I will paint with a broad brush and say these are GENERAL statements based on what I SAW.

1. They valued protein, but not to the extent we prioritize now. The protein powder it was like mixing cement. And tasted like paste. I would say most of the guys/gals I witnessed got at or just under 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight.

2. NOBODY ate fat. Fat was the enemy.

3. Carbs were more valued than they are now. I would say 75% or more of the diet was carbs...rice, pasta, oatmeal.

4. Cheat meals consisting of fast food was common. Example, I used to bring bags of McMuffins, pancakes and fried hashbrowns to the gym every Sunday for the "bros."

5. Bro split ruled the gym. Most worked out 5x per week. Perhaps 2 body parts per day. And legs were never more than once per week.

6. I didn't get into the drug clique but I used to clean up the gym and the most commonly discarded bottles were: Deca, Dianabol, Testosterone and anadrol/anavar (coin toss) in that order. Occasionally you would hear about someone being on Halotest or whatever Jeff Feliciano was brewing up at the time. I forget the name...bolasterone or something like that. Being in OC it seems everyone touched our gym at one point or another.

7. Cigarette smoking was very popular, mostly with the female pros and those on the fringe of pro. They would smoke outside the gym before and after workouts in order to stay lean.

8. Recreational drugs were just as popular as steroids. Cocaine was huge with the muscle crowd. The opiates we see now were not a thing back then in the culture.

Do you really want to know about Mentzer's nutrition? Do you really think that's going to help you progress?

Nutrition from the golden age is a joke. Back then guys knew a fraction of what we know today on nutrition and it's one of the reasons guys are so much bigger and leaner today. Guys in the golden age over-trained and under-recovered because they didn't have a diet that supported their training. As good as one might think those physiques are they all would've been better if they had today's knowledge of nutrition.

If you really do want to learn about Mentzer's nutrition get on YouTube, tons of his seminars and interviews have been uploaded in the last few years.
So it’s been a few years but I feel like Arnold is asked in Pumping Iron what he eats for breakfast and I may be misremembering but I feel like he said 3 eggs and some toast lol

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member
  • LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Punisher13420
NapsGear