over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Metabolic damage layne norton

I used to think some people were "carb senstitive" but I'm not sure anymore. I think most of these people actually just don't need very much protein, they could eat more carbs if they cut their protein way back...

i was overweight/obese most of my childhood. tried the low fat thing in the 90's. switched to the low carb thing in the 2000's. this year i am eating less protein and more carbs and i am leaner for it. there may be some other things going on as well. i did add in some tabata type aerobics 3x a week. but am not doing the 2+ hours of aerobics i used to do during the week.

I used to think some people were "carb senstitive" but I'm not sure anymore. I think most of these people actually just don't need very much protein, they could eat more carbs if they cut their protein way back...

Exactly! I hired Layne before and it was worth it I learned not to be afraid of carbs and how to use them to an advantage, when I was "overbulked" I started out my carbs really low like .75xbw , and eventually had them down to almost keto! When I worked with Layne we SLOWLY added calories thats the thing MOST people dont do they dont slowly add them in they add in like 50,100 , 150 + more at a time. Then they get bloated or even gain some fat and freak out saying how insulin sensitive they are . I only eat a little over a gram per bound of bodyweight (i.e I eat 185 grams of protein at 165 pounds) , then eat ALOT of carbs and have a minimum of .45 grams of fat, basing calories off a % doesn't work for me and I think its pretty dumb to give someone % based of calories like 40/40/20 or whatever rather then hitting a minimum number .

So using Layne I went from having to eat 2000 calories right before getting on stage during contests and lowest I got was around 7-8% bodyfat , to eating 2600 calories and even having a 3k calorie day once a week , and coming in at about 4-5% bodyfat. Its exactly like he said about building your metabolism and trying to eat as much as possible. Also the way I felt when eating so much more calories and carbs during pre contest was amazing, I was making gains up until about 4 weeks out and then I was just maintaining and making sure not to get injured, and the only suffering was just like the day of the show where I wasn't drinking as much water but that wasn't bad at all honestly.

For growth, I would definitely try something closer to 40g/60g/15g, maybe even take the protein lower and carbs higher depending on your size. We are always afraid of shrinking so we never give the low protein a try, but it works. I'm currently the biggest I have ever been and I'm eating less protein than I ever have in probably 20 years.

There are people far more experienced with this than I on these forums, and this subject has been covered many times in other threads, read up!

Right on the money there man.

First off, I respect the hell out of Layne...the guy is a science fiend and knows his shit.

I too cut my protein pretty low (by my standards) this year and have never felt better. I used to push over 400+ grams almost everyday and in my opinion, you realllly don't need that.

No real loss of muscle mass, no loss in strength + I get to eat more carbs (clean of course) and more fat. A lot easier for me to go out to eat with some friends and not have to worry about ordering 2 steaks.

Right on the money there man.

First off, I respect the hell out of Layne...the guy is a science fiend and knows his shit.

I too cut my protein pretty low (by my standards) this year and have never felt better. I used to push over 400+ grams almost everyday and in my opinion, you realllly don't need that.

No real loss of muscle mass, no loss in strength + I get to eat more carbs (clean of course) and more fat. A lot easier for me to go out to eat with some friends and not have to worry about ordering 2 steaks.

Yeah that's another thing , once my metabolism was fixed and was on fire Layne had me eating 4000+ calories sometimes, it was ridiculous lol! Before I would have had like at least 350-400 grams of that being protein and It was just plain ridiculous how expensive it was getting that in with chicken/shakes/fish/deli meat. It was so much easer eating only about 225grams of protein and then the carbs being about 50% of calories from bulk rice/potatoes/oatmeal packets, so much cheaper and convienent !

Perhaps thats the reason Kai Greene can peak for Arnold but miss the peak for Olympia.., metabolic damage? havent seen many who do spring and fall shows and peak for both.

Perhaps thats the reason Kai Greene can peak for Arnold but miss the peak for Olympia.., metabolic damage? havent seen many who do spring and fall shows and peak for both.

Possibly, there couple be a MILLION reasons why Kai didn't win that though.

But if you watch that George Farah/Kai seminar (its on youtube) they did in Ireland, Kai cut his protein considerably and I thought he looked damn good at the Olympia.

Once again—just like a thousand other things in bodybuilding, there are many ways to skin a cat.

Has anyone considered that there have been several top bodybuilder a from the 80's and 90's that have had kidney failure. I know oral aas is a factor but massive amounts of protein (500-1000ged) could be another factor? Idk???

Two years ago I hired a trainer in Dallas named Sagi Kalev. I met with him and told him I was very carb sensitive. He chuckled and basically told me no I wasn't. My first diet had triple the carbs I was eating and he cut my protein down by about 25%. I was gaining muscle and loosing fat by the day. I was in shock at how fast I was changing. He blew my mind. I will try to post a pic but I have never forgot how shocked I was that I could eat so many carbs and less protein and gain muscle and loose fat.

It's sad it needs to be said but your trainer should be applauded for at least knowing what he's talking about. The bro-scientific stuff you hear in the BB/Fitness is epic (fail). And somehow, even though none of them has a college level degree in nutrition, they ALL think they are truly experts concerning the human body and nutrition. I'm surprised how little people have been killed up until now since the same applies for drugs as well of course.

i was overweight/obese most of my childhood. tried the low fat thing in the 90's. switched to the low carb thing in the 2000's. this year i am eating less protein and more carbs and i am leaner for it. there may be some other things going on as well. i did add in some tabata type aerobics 3x a week. but am not doing the 2+ hours of aerobics i used to do during the week.

Carbohydrates are not only needed for serotonin production, they are also needed to keep your thyroid functioning properly so this should come as no surprise.

It amazes me to constantly see bro-scientists say "carbs are not essential" implying that you don't need to eat them. They are "not essential" because your body can manufacture them on it's own, this by no means implies you don't need to eat them because you sure as hell do. This is what happens when people who don't get the big picture start pubmedding.

Granted you won't die if you don't, but I assume (or hope) a healthy mind and a healthy thyroid are priorities for everyone here.

Last edited:
Has anyone considered that there have been several top bodybuilder a from the 80's and 90's that have had kidney failure. I know oral aas is a factor but massive amounts of protein (500-1000ged) could be another factor? Idk???

Definitely, do not doubt this for a second ...

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrcivic
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws