Status
Not open for further replies.

Knight9

Featured Member / Verified Customer / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Verified Customer
This is my friend...and this happened to him today..

From Gavin Louis, owner of Metroflex Gym Oceanside

Today I got arrested for having my gym open in Oceanside CA and refusing to close it down. This is an affront to our constitutional rights and a complete throwing in the garbage of police oaths... This is a war on small businesses... the arrest was personally ordered by Mayor Peter Weiss and LT. DOYLE of the OPD. The last time we had a war on this we won.... 1776

Attachments

• 2020-05-10-gavin.JPG
    2020-05-10-gavin.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 27
Has it come to this - **EDIT** - LEAVE THE POLITICS OUT OF IT! - this crap needs to stop in the USA.

This is the letter that Gavin Louis, owner of Metrolflex Oceanside, just sent our Chief of Police, Mayor and City Attorney

Re: OPPOSITION TO OPD INTENT TO ENFORCE PUBLIC HEALTH ORDER

May 9, 2020

Dear Gentlemen,

As I write this letter, I am confused, disappointed and extremely upset. There is complete chaos as everyone tries to figure out how to respond to the various vague and ambiguous modifications to already vague and ambiguous public health orders. In the meantime, my business and survival hang in the balance. This is inexcusable. I opened on Friday after the focus was changed from “essential” and “non essential” to “high risk” and “low risk”. Because my business is undeniably a “low risk” business, I opened on Friday subject to the operating guidelines set forth by the state and county.

Today, I received a letter from councilmember Rodriguez advising all businesses to open subject to social distancing guidelines and indicating that the Chief of Police favored a policy of educating rather than issuing citations. Hours later, I received an email from Mayor Weiss indicating that Councilmember Rodriguez was not authorized to speak on behalf of the city, but rather offered a “personal opinion” concerning business reopening. The Mayor’s letter did not address any of the abundant uncertainties of the current “orders”, but merely referred to the state and county orders. Making matters even more muddled, I received a call from OPD moments ago advising that it was Captain Marchand’s opinion that Gyms were not permitted and on that basis would be issued citations if open.

This situation is absolutely unacceptable and unconscionable. My only purpose for opening is to survive and to keep my family and staff off of welfare. For this effort, I am rewarded with absolute chaos from city leaders and threats from OPD of criminal sanctions? I have worked my tail off and sacrificed blood, sweat and tears for this gym. I have dedicated my life to improving the health and fitness of my members. To be treated this way turns my stomach.

Please know that I WILL be opening my gym tomorrow morning (May 10, 2020) at 8:00 A.M. I will be doing so in accordance with the guidelines issued by the state and county public health officials. My business is undeniably a “low risk” business. To date, not a single case of COVID 19 in the United States is known to have come from a gym or workout facility. Furthermore, the CDC has confirmed that the COVID 19 virus is NOT transmitted by means of sweat or perspiration. There is absolutely no scientific basis for deeming a gym a “high risk” business. Accordingly, I am entitled to open my business at this time, subject to strict enforcement of the applicable public health orders concerning re-opening of businesses.

The various orders that Captain Marchand has threatened to enforce by issuing citations are undeniably void for vagueness. The manifest confusion displayed by absolutely all parties involved is ample evidence that the orders are beyond vague and therefore unenforceable. As you know, a statute or order may be so vague or so threatening to constitutionally protected activity that it can be pronounced wholly unconstitutional. The Supreme Court held in Papachristou v. City of Jacksonville 405 U 156 (1972) that a statute criminalizing loitering was unconstitutional because of the following:

1. It failed to give proper notice
2. Did not require specific intent to violate the ordinance
3. The ordinance encouraged and permitted arbitrary enforcement
4. It criminalized activities that by modern standards are normally innocent

ALL of the aforementioned defects in the Papachristou case are present here. We have had several officers who
have come by in the past two days and have indicated that as long as we comply with social distancing, we are fine. Now, Captain Marchand has indicated that he is going to direct his officers to issue citations. That is a perfect example of arbitrary enforcement. These vague ordinances are curtailing business activities that are obviously innocent and permitted.

Aside from the obvious “void for vagueness” defects of the current orders, it is absolutely immoral for any law enforcement agency to criminalize the actions of a business owner who is merely trying to survive and who is, as I am , complying with ALL re-opening guidelines. I implore you to watch this short youtube video of Riverside County Sheriff Chad Bianco addressing the board of supervisors at

In refusing to issue citations to those who are working, the Sheriff rationalizes that it is absurd to release thousands of convicted criminals from the jails because of COVID 19 so that he can them criminalize the actions of law abiding business owners that are merely trying to survive and to support their families. How did we get to the point where Sheriff Bianco is a hero for standing up for law abiding members of the community who are only trying to survive?

I am not interested in making a political statement or in becoming a beacon for a cause. I am literally being suffocated by these onerous and vague regulations. I need help. I do not need more threats and chaos. I am not alone. There are hundreds of us in Oceanside that are similarly situated. It seems that we have a couple of choices at this point. You can issue threats and use OPD and its good members to finish me off while I am trying to survive. This option will certainly invite a mountain of litigation from business owners that suffer from such a policy. Or, we can all work together and cooperate to make sure that the public health is given the highest priority. I will do my part to make certain that reopening guidelines are strictly followed in my gym.

Gentlemen, I have given my life for this business. I am literally on my last breath. Please, stop threatening me and help me.

Sincerely,

LOUIS G. URIDEL

Last edited by a moderator:
To complain

Oceanside Police [email protected], Chief's Office (760) 435-4450...

Peter Weiss - Mayor of Oceanside - [email protected]

Let the mayor know he needs to take a stand.

If only more owners of businesses would do the same to take a stand. All it took in texas was a few to open despite the orders and get thrown in jail and now governor straight up said any owners will not be arrested for opening up.

Is Lou still technically a lawyer in CA?

Your friend is a hero in a time where cowardice is common place. Bless him. I hope this story becomes national news and all his Bill's are paid and he comes out on top. Let him know how much support he has and to not back down.

This is my friend...and this happened to him today..

From Gavin Louis, owner of Metroflex Gym Oceanside

Today I got arrested for having my gym open in Oceanside CA and refusing to close it down. This is an affront to our constitutional rights and a complete throwing in the garbage of police oaths... This is a war on small businesses... the arrest was personally ordered by Mayor Peter Weiss and LT. DOYLE of the OPD. The last time we had a war on this we won.... 1776

Big Lou is a good guy! It’s terrible what they’re doing in this country! I hope he sues them for millions.

Similar happened here. Lady opened her Salon, refused to close, arrested. Governor changed the law to make it where they could not be arrested for similar again. The bigger issue here, was the judge was trying to force her to basically get on her knees and beg forgiveness. When she wouldn't, back to the cell she went. State Supreme Court also overturned what he did. Would be nice to see this judge removed and lose his state bar.

Unfortunately, unless some miracle happens, I do not see the same happening in Ca. Loved it the 15yrs I grew up there but can only stand visiting now.

Him saying that covid is not transmitted through sweat kinda shows why he shouldn't be open as he clearly doesn't understand the virus, (it's not sweat you should be concerned with its mouth dropplets) it is highly transmitted through mouth breathing droplets are air born and tranmitted, thus why they want people to wear face mask. When working out your heart rate increases causing you to breath heavily thus more likely to release more of the virus if you happen to be infected, this is ONE of the reasons why gyms are last to open in most states ( that and it's difficult to social distance).
Kentucky''s governor has opened churches in kentucky but first said no singing allowed but has now changed his stance on that so this is good news for gyms in KY, and maybe other states churches will follow and carry over to reasoning for opening up gyms.

You can disagree I'm not going to argue as I try and stay out of POLITICAL type threads as I think they are retarded, thus I don't comment on covid-19 threads and will probably regret opening my mouth in this one! :-(

Him saying that covid is not transmitted through sweat kinda shows why he shouldn't be open as he clearly doesn't understand the virus, (it's not sweat you should be concerned with its mouth dropplets) it is highly transmitted through mouth breathing droplets are air born and tranmitted, thus why they want people to wear face mask. When working out your heart rate increases causing you to breath heavily thus more likely to release more of the virus if you happen to be infected, this is ONE of the reasons why gyms are last to open in most states ( that and it's difficult to social distance).
Kentucky''s governor has opened churches in kentucky but first said no singing allowed but has now changed his stance on that so this is good news for gyms in KY, and maybe other states churches will follow and carry over to reasoning for opening up gyms.

You can disagree I'm not going to argue as I try and stay out of POLITICAL type threads as I think they are retarded, thus I don't comment on covid-19 threads and will probably regret opening my mouth in this one! :-(

In CA face masks are currently required in essential businesses. He clearly states "I will be doing so in accordance with the guidelines issued by the state and county public health officials." So explain to me how mentioning the fact that Covid is not transmitted through sweat shows that he does not understand how the virus is transmitted? Do you think he's a complete moron with a bachelor's degree, law degree, business owner? You think he doesn't see everyone wearing face masks everywhere and understand why? He's saying that if someone gets on a bench after another person that they can't contract Covid and this is part of his argument for being a low risk business. How is this any different from crowded Costcos where social distancing is not even possible? Social distancing is actually much easier in a gym than many of the "essential" businesses that have remained open. I think your last instinct was correct actually, you should probably stick your own lane.

Rex.

In CA face masks are currently required in essential businesses. He clearly states "I will be doing so in accordance with the guidelines issued by the state and county public health officials." So explain to me how mentioning the fact that Covid is not transmitted through sweat shows that he does not understand how the virus is transmitted? Do you think he's a complete moron with a bachelor's degree, law degree, business owner? You think he doesn't see everyone wearing face masks everywhere and understand why? He's saying that if someone gets on a bench after another person that they can't contract Covid and this is part of his argument for being a low risk business. How is this any different from crowded Costcos where social distancing is not even possible? Social distancing is actually much easier in a gym than many of the "essential" businesses that have remained open. I think your last instinct was correct actually, you should probably stick your own lane.

Rex.
I'm going to be polite even though you were not.
I'm not disagreeing with him opening, I'm disagreeing with his explanation, if you go before a judge and have to explain why you did not comply with closing your business please on behalf of all gym owners be able to intelligently defend your decision. Your gym is not closed because of sweating on gym equipment is a Hazzard of transmission, it is closed because it is a Hazzard of transmission due to proper social distancing AND heavy respiration through increased hear rate in a confined area. No one is RUNNING through the lanes of Costco getting their heart rate up and breathing heavy through their mouth and nose.

I'M OUT AND GOING TO STAY IN MY LANE

I'm not disagreeing with him opening, I'm disagreeing with his explanation, if you go before a judge and have to explain why you did not comply with closing your business please on behalf of all gym owners be able to intelligently defend your decision. Your gym is not closed because of sweating on gym equipment is a Hazzard of transmission, it is closed because it is a Hazzard of transmission due to proper social distancing AND heavy respiration through increased hear rate in a confined area. No one is RUNNING through the lanes of Costco getting their heart rate up and breathing heavy through their mouth and nose.

You don't think their heart rate raises when they are at Costco and they see that bundle of toilet paper sitting there and they can now wipe their ass once again? :)

So your contention is that face coverings decrease in efficacy as respiratory rate increases. Do you have some data that shows that face coverings are less effective when breathing 30x/min vs 16x/min?

Rex.

So your contention is that face coverings decrease in efficacy as respiratory rate increases. Do you have some data that shows that face coverings are less effective when breathing 30x/min vs 16x/min?

Rex.
HOLY SHIT!
Dumb ass gym rats won't even rack their weights when their done, you think they are going to wear mask? If they do are they going to have them on the entire workout? PROBABLY NOT.
I work at a chemical plant and have to be respirator certified which means I have to have a respiratory fit test once and year and have respirator knowledge testing.
The protection factor decreases as your face mask (cloth) gets wet.....gym, sweat,...hmmmm?

I can see this thread is going to be cluttered with me and you going back and forth, so here you go....
YOU WIN, I AM WRONG, YOU ARE RIGHT
END OF DISCUSSION! :)

I think you are right about the method it spreads, and I can't imagine keeping a gym disinfected enough to stop the spread. All it takes is one person in the gym to start an outbreak. Even with social distancing I don't see how you stop it since the droplets really go much farther than 6 feet.

Another problem is a lot of the people are asymptomatic when they spread it. I do think people should be able to use the gym under social distancing rules if they sign a waiver that they are taking their health into their own hands when they go in there. Owners should not allow senior citizens in nor people like me with serious health problems. If this were done, the virus would spread more but its at least a compromise. The community that the gym is in shouldn't have a high rate of hospitalizations at the time and should be prepared to shut down if an outbreak happens there.

HOLY SHIT!
Dumb ass gym rats won't even rack their weights when their done, you think they are going to wear mask? If they do are they going to have them on the entire workout? PROBABLY NOT.
I work at a chemical plant and have to be respirator certified which means I have to have a respiratory fit test once and year and have respirator knowledge testing.
The protection factor decreases as your face mask (cloth) gets wet.....gym, sweat,...hmmmm?

I can see this thread is going to be cluttered with me and you going back and forth, so here you go....

I see the arguments you both have and you’re both right in some ways.

My question is why can’t they just open and have a policy “enter at you’re own risk” and sign a waiver

HOLY SHIT!

It's not about being right or wrong. I'd truly like to understand why people believe that a sparsely populated gym of low-risk individuals is somehow a greater risk to public health than a crowded Costco full of high-risk individuals who have zero clue how to wear PPE all but rendering it completely ineffective.

REx.

It's not about being right or wrong. I'd truly like to understand why people believe that a sparsely populated gym of low-risk individuals is somehow a greater risk to public health than a crowded Costco full of high-risk individuals who have zero clue how to wear PPE all but rendering it completely ineffective.

REx.

Rex, you seem like a smart dude: why are you making the assumption that gyms are full of low-risk individual's? I think the issue related to containing this virus is that it is extremely hard to predict who is high-risk vs. low risk. I also think you might be conflating risk of transmission vs. risk of mortality and I don't think that bboy is talking about the latter. Really when we talk about huge policy shifts such as re-opening, it relates to trusting the judgement of other people to reduce transmission rates. This I think has been shown to be somewhat of an issue

Rex, you seem like a smart dude: why are you making the assumption that gyms are full of low-risk individual's? I think the issue related to containing this virus is that it is extremely hard to predict who is high-risk vs. low risk. I also think you might be conflating risk of transmission vs. risk of mortality and I don't think that bboy is talking about the latter. Really when we talk about huge policy shifts such as re-opening, it relates to trusting the judgement of other people to reduce transmission rates. This I think has been shown to be somewhat of an issue
Great post ^^^^

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
systemfiles1
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws