over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Middle of the night Protein vs. Full night sleep

bigboy05

Registered
So which do you think is better...getting up at 2 am for a protein shake or getting a full, good nights sleep. I for one couldn't do the shake. I would wake up and spend the next 2 hours trying to get back to sleep. Anybody here do the shake thing? Do you think it makes that much difference?

Id say if it makes falling back asleep a pain then dont.

Just get your prebed meal in you and you should be fine.

Now I wake up 3 times a night cuz A. Im starving. Or B. I gotta piss. Or C. Both.

So then I get something in me.

But I never sleep straight through the night.

I prefer sleep for me. Just take in the prebed protein seems to be ok for me.

Now I wake up 3 times a night cuz A. Im starving. Or B. I gotta piss. Or C. Both.

+1. I'd only do it, if i naturally wake up in the middle of the night and don't easily fall back asleep. I would not intentionally disturb my natural sleep pattern in order to take protein and risk fucking up the rest of my nights sleep. That would be counterproductive at the very least.

Exactly. When I do wake up I'll start craving something to drink..usually cranberry juice for some reason or chocolate milk. This is why we don't keep sweets or junk food in the house...middle of the night cravings

Same goes for me, and when I do wake up I just mix a protein shake, or a tall glass of milk. Then I go back and hit the sheets.

I vote for full night of sleep. Your muscle's not going anywhere if you fast overnight. Just so long as you eat a few hours before retiring I don't think it'll affect gains in the least.

I've tried both approaches and found that undisturbed, quality sleep is more important.

There's absolutely no reason to wake up in the middle of the night to down a protein shake. If you think there is a good reason, then you need to read this: **broken link removed**

only reason i would throw in a shake is if i get up to piss in this middle of the night.

i have a swig of LBA's if i wake up to piss but that is only when im bulking.

any other time, i'd rather just sleep longer and recover.

only reason i would throw in a shake is if i get up to piss in this middle of the night.

I get up and piss in the middle of the night like clockwork. I put a casien shake in the bathroom. Chug it, then go back to sleep fine. Kill two birds with one stone.

So which do you think is better...getting up at 2 am for a protein shake or getting a full, good nights sleep. I for one couldn't do the shake. I would wake up and spend the next 2 hours trying to get back to sleep. Anybody here do the shake thing? Do you think it makes that much difference?

If you able to go back to sleep immediately following the shake/meal then it may work for you...however if it screws your sleep up I would reconsider.

I wake up to piss every freaking nite, some times I crave usually bad foods, but most the time I try a small cup of milk with a banana.

i have woken up twice in this myo-hmp run starving .....

so i had to throw another meal down, is it right? dont know but i can guarantee you i did not have a choice . no way in hell i would have fallen asleep again.

I don't know any heavyweight or superheavyweights who've ever said "I wasn't doing that well... but then I started waking up in the middle of the night and pounding down a shake. It literally catapulted my gains!"

If your diet is sufficient for 16 hours of the day, the 8 that you sleep should be spent... sleeping.

99% of the time if I get up...its over with...so for me the sleep it more important then the protein. I make sure I get enough protein in during the day!

all I know is if I drink water halfway through the night, I wake up feeling a lot better.

Too much sleep and I end up being dehydrated. I notice I wake up feeling better on 3-4 hours of sleep than I do 9..

Unless I drink a tall glass of water halfway thru.

Back when I was doing 30 meals a day I'd wake up 4 times to eat but I'm only doing 18 meals a day now so I only get up twice. Us Christians believe you need a constant stream of nutrients and level blood sugar, and you can only achieve this by eating all day long. Christian science FTW!

all I know is if I drink water halfway through the night, I wake up feeling a lot better.

Too much sleep and I end up being dehydrated. I notice I wake up feeling better on 3-4 hours of sleep than I do 9..

Unless I drink a tall glass of water halfway thru.

I naturally do this and have been doing so for about 11 years. I simply can't sleep if i'm dehydrated. I carry a jug of crystal light with me damn near everywhere I go. I get up every 3 hours or so, piss, chug, sleep, repeat. I don't even think about it. I can finish 1/2 gallon or more over the course of a night.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Peterwilliam
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws