advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Mike Arnold: What can you teach us about HSP ( Heat Shock Proteins )

Muay Thai

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
How are different HSPs activated via extreme heat (sauna) and extreme cold?

do sauna increase BDNF via HSP activity? HSP70?

I have read some interesting articles, these are proteins we never learn about

Please fill us in on some of their functions and how to recruit

best wishes

MT

How are different HSPs activated via extreme heat (sauna) and extreme cold?

do sauna increase BDNF via HSP activity? HSP70?

I have read some interesting articles, these are proteins we never learn about

Please fill us in on some of their functions and how to recruit

best wishes

MT

You should get Russian to chime in on this, he just did some lecture about it.

Go study Dr. Rhonda Patrick's work...why would you think Mike Arnold would know about this stuff?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

You should get Russian to chime in on this, he just did some lecture about it.

Was it in his own words, or plagiarized? Considering he has a tendency too do such things.

Last edited:
Go study Dr. Rhonda Patrick's work...why would you think Mike Arnold would know about this stuff?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Clearly I have read her work. That is not what this post is about but thanks for the unsolicited tips and command.

Mike wrote an interesting article involving HSP

Clearly I have read her work. That is not what this post is about but thanks for the unsolicited tips and command.

Mike wrote an interesting article involving HSP

You have the link to this article?

i found one of the few, this one was about metformin but HSP was mentioned and it recruited my attention

Metformin and Muscle Growth | IronMag? Bodybuilding & Fitness Portal

Yeah, I've seen this article before, as well as our debate on this particular topic. There's many errors in this particular article. We're all guilty of making errors, I know I have.

Nonetheless, I've never seen Mike get into the specifics of this very complex molecular chaperone(s). Maybe he has?

More than likely, you're already taking several supplements that initiate the activities of HSF1 that act on transcription of these multichaperones.

b_cornelius would be my go-to guy on this subject. That's just me.

Metformin and berberine causes dislocation of HSP90 of the androgen receptor, in cell-line cultures. Not sure about in-vivo?

As does sleep apnea.

This topic could be limitless.

Last edited:
Seeing HSP in his article only sparked my interest, I am in no way defending whether anything he says is factual or not. I wanted to see specifically if he or anyone can elaborate on them, and more directly their relationship and effect in bodybuilding/fitness/health. This whole HSP information chase started with me searching for the true benefits of sauna/steam rooms

I may have misread that HSP via hyperthermic conditioning induces BDNF, when infact it is just the heat/sauna that causes this

"During exercise, fasting and, it appears, sauna use, nerve cells release proteins known as neurotrophic factors, such as brain-derived neurotrophic factor or BDNF, which activates brain stem cells to produce new neurons. BDNF also triggers numerous other chemicals that promote neural health."

**broken link removed**

""Heat shock proteins (or HSPs), as the name implies, are induced by heat and are a prime example of hormesis. Intermittent exposure to heat induces a hormetic response (a protective stress response), which promotes the expression of a gene called heat shock factor 1 and subsequently HSPs involved in stress resistance.

HSPs can prevent damage by directly scavenging free radicals and also by supporting cellular antioxidant capacity through its effects on maintaining glutathione.
HSPs can repair misfolded, damaged proteins thereby ensuring proteins have their proper structure and function."

more interesting stuff from the article above

"Heat treatments may even induce heat shock proteins that help protect against rhabdomyolysis, a serious degenerative muscle tissue condition that is one of the most common side effects associated with the use of statin cholesterol-lowering drugs!12 If you've had a muscle injury, you may be immobilized for lengthy periods, which generally will cause your muscles to begin to atrophy. Hyperthermic conditioning has been shown to slow muscle atrophy during disuse by up to 32 percent in one animal study. Whole-body heat treatment both prevents muscle atrophy and increases muscle regrowth, courtesy of elevated HSP levels. Dr. Patrick explained:

"During injury, you may be immobilized but you don't have to be very mobile to sit in the sauna a few times a week to boost your HSPs! This is a clear win in the injury and recovery department."

I know saunas increase hypertrophy, but I am wondering if because I use sauna and steam and spa DAILY, is my CNS being taxed too much to stay in a hypertrophic environment? Am I sabotaging my progress and desired results? Is too much too much?

thank you sir for your expertise I enjoy all of your posts.

I am excited to learn and expand my knowledge

Best Wishes

Last edited:
Keep in mind, my knowledge is very limited on the complexities of HSP. By no means am I authority on this topic.

Given that, different chaperones act differently on specific extracellular matrix's, and not specifically to the modulation of the androgen receptor. The reaches are far beyond that. There can be activity of difference chaperones linked to several cancers, for example. I believe there's interest on developing HSP inhibitors as adjuvants for specific cancer treatments.

I don't believe you want too keep HSP on constant alert. As overexpression may have detrimental consequences. Or so I would suspect?

Keep in mind, my knowledge is very limited on the complexities of HSP. By no means am I authority on this topic.

Given that, different chaperones act differently on specific extracellular matrix's, and not specifically to the modulation of the androgen receptor. The reaches are far beyond that. There can be activity of difference chaperones linked to several cancers, for example. I believe there's interest on developing HSP inhibitors as adjuvants for specific cancer treatments.

I don't believe you want too keep HSP on constant alert. As overexpression may have detrimental consequences. Or so I would suspect?

this is great information, thank you.

In your opinion, Do you think the everyday use of sauna/steam/spa use POST EXERCISE is counter productive for a bodybuilder's mass/hypertrophy/power goals if we also refuel and refeed pre/post hyperthermic conditioning ( or at least think we do properly ) everyday ?

I know many UFC and BELLATOR athletes in my network who utilize these hyperthermic conditioning strategies daily. Many will go directly from SAUNA to CRYO therapy.

I always concluded that heat being a vasodilator would increase nutrient transport, amino shuttling absorption (and of course recovery)

and then directly after the cold ( vasoconstrictor ) basically constricting your vascular system and in theory "marinating" your muscles, tendons, ligaments and connective tissue with the necessary or at least available nutrients

This was just a theory I grew to believe

Last edited:
I have read about the sauna use for HSP. I think it was done at at least 150 degrees in a IR sauna and for 45 minutes, with face uncovered.

I usually sauna at 125 degrees with face covered so I don't know if I am getting the same outcome fore NGF, bNGF, or HSP.

Yeah, I've seen this article before, as well as our debate on this particular topic. There's many errors in this particular article. We're all guilty of making errors, I know I have.

Nonetheless, I've never seen Mike get into the specifics of this very complex molecular chaperone(s). Maybe he has?

More than likely, you're already taking several supplements that initiate the activities of HSF1 that act on transcription of these multichaperones.

b_cornelius would be my go-to guy on this subject. That's just me.

Metformin and berberine causes dislocation of HSP90 of the androgen receptor, in cell-line cultures. Not sure about in-vivo?

As does sleep apnea.

This topic could be limitless.

What were they again? I know we disagreed regarding the berberine vs. metformin debate, but what in particular is inaccurate?

Regarding the OP's question about HSP's, I know relatively little about the subject. I have read maybe 5-6 articles by doctors who have explored the connection between HSP's and muscle growth, but outside of referencing the information found there, I haven't really contemplated the subject further.

Why? As far as I know, no one has yet figured out a way of manipulating these proteins in a manner that produces meaningful results relative to other methods of growth stimulation. I'm not saying it's not possible (I don't know), but only that we have a long way to go before they become a viable method of stimulating muscle growth. There are a handful of supplements out there that claim to increase hypertrophy via HSP's, but customer feedback has been poor. As for non-supplement methods, I haven't heard of anyone claiming to experience significant results. I could be wrong, though. It would be interesting to hear from an expert on the subject.

Last edited:
All I have to say is that I just watched Masters of Sex episode 1 for this season.

If you wanna hear the good word, I'll be giving lectures in Vegas.

What were they again? I know we disagreed regarding the berberine vs. metformin debate, but what in particular is inaccurate?

Our thyroid stimulates protein synthesis.

Although "inhibit" and "suppress" are synonymous, in some regards. When speaking of drug actions upon our hypothalamus and pituitary, suppression is generally the term. They're not really interchangeable, in this sense.

Even if we used the two words synonymously, you are making it out as metformin induced hypothyroidism. In contrast is the opposite, suppression or "inhibition" of TSH would be suggestive of hyperthyroidism.

The truth of the matter is, metformin has no alteration on euthyroid individuals.
Metformin and Thyroid: An Update

Within your article.
In terms of non-protein synthesis related side effects, metformin impairs thyroid function by inhibiting TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) production, thereby lowering T4 and T3 levels.

And, in animal models, berberine has been shown to alter the biosynthesis of testicular enzymatic sex hormones CYP17, 3ß-HSD and 17ß-HSD1 mRNA. Which could increase the synthesis of estradiol from testosterone.

This is in animal models, tho. Who knows what the feminizing outcomes would be with humans.

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
And, Mike. Honestly I'm not in anyway provoking an argument with you.

Just just bringing simple mistakes present. I make plenty, believe me :)

All I have to say is that I just watched Masters of Sex episode 1 for this season.

If you wanna hear the good word, I'll be giving lectures in Vegas.

I'm picking up what you're throwing down, Lmao.

On a serious note. Your knowledge/input on these fancy-pancy little HSP multichaperones would be greatly appreciated.

:)

My lecture wasn't a lecture it was a discourse not a very interesting one , showing that hsp's could perhaps prevent certain kinds of cancers.

I am in no way as informed or as educated on the subject as any of you guys as its not my field of expertise and my English is limited on those kind of subjects.

No offense taken Stewie, ive long sinced passed having the time to argue with forum members.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
MindMuscle88
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131