over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Mike Pulcinella reviews Layne Norton's "Unleashed!" DVD

Mike Pulcinella

Banned
Registered
Layne Norton - “Unleashed”
https://www.biolayne.com/

I find myself torn between wanting to review this DVD from a videographer’s point of view and as a fan of bodybuilding. “Unleashed” excels on both counts!

**broken link removed**

As a videographer I can really appreciate the skill with which Unleashed is put together. Though highly polished and professional, make no mistake, this isn’t a film and makes no attempt to feel like a “movie”. Rather , “Unleashed” is a great example of what I would call a high-energy video style.

Quick zooms, active hand-held camera work and quick cutting all add up to give this DVD a very edgy, modern feel. (Think LOST, with muscles!) Gym footage is crisp and well lit. Interviews are nicely composed. Music is used tastefully and Layne’s voice is clear, whether in interview or live in the gym. In short, this is a top notch production by Paul Glinski and Proedit.

Layne is a natural, in more ways than one. Not only is he a drug-free IFPA and NGA pro bodybuilder, but he is also very comfortable and eloquent in front of the camera. Layne sure walks the walk, that is evident from his physique as seen in the gym and in contest footage winning the NGA Heart of America competition in 2006. But he also can talk the talk.

And talk he does!! There is so much good information about nutrition and training on this DVD that many aspiring bodybuilders may wear out the reverse button on their remote controls! “What did he just say?? I gotta write that down!”

The 35 minute minute main feature is packed with great footage and information. Watching this it quickly becomes apparent that Layne knows his stuff. He’s a graduate student studying muscle protein metabolism, so when Layne talks nutrition, I listen!

Layne’s ideas about training are as in-depth and innovative as his nutrition advice. The gym footage is intense and inspiring all the while infused with Layne’s intelligent commentary. Anyone looking to create a program of diet and exercise to build massive muscles would benefit from owning this DVD and watching it over and over. It’s like a video textbook on the current state of bodybuilding knowledge!

The only shortcoming I found with Unleashed was that even though there was a lot of good scientific information, there wasn’t much of a story. Then I clicked on the bonus features and found something called “Layne vs Nick Katrichis”, a great piece about the rivalry between Norton and a good friend as they train for the same contest. This engaging short video has the same level of expertise as main feature and could easily be on ESPN.

It was very satisfying for me to see Layne more relaxed in a video that had a bit of a story to it. Maybe in future DVDs we can get even more of a day-in-the-life view of Layne’s world and see first hand what it takes to devote oneself to natural bodybuilding and how it affects one’s life.

The Bonus features contain a lot of “unedited” workout footage for those who want a more relaxed peek into Layne’s training style and philosophy. Yet even this footage is not truly “unedited” and it moves along nicely. A few deleted scenes, including a sometimes funny extended interview at a diner, round out this excellent DVD.

Layne is a smart and personable guy with a lot of information to impart. Unleashed presents Layne in an entertaining way but never wanders far from the business at hand, good solid bodybuilding information.

Watch the teaser...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIxM2xA3utc

Unleashed is available from Layne’s website here...

**broken link removed**

Mike Pulcinella
February 17, 2008

Mike Pulcinella is a videographer/digital editor living in Pennsylvania and the creator of the Raising the Bar bodybuilding documentary series.
http://www.mikepulcinella.com/portfolio.htm

Good info. Just curious, do you sell your services as a videographer? Could someone just send you raw footage from training and strongman competitions and you put it together for a kickass youtube video?

Good info. Just curious, do you sell your services as a videographer? Could someone just send you raw footage from training and strongman competitions and you put it together for a kickass youtube video?

I could. But in my experience most amateur footage is not shot well enough to make a good video. Simply cutting together a bunch of clips and layering on some heavy metal music is not what I do and, to be honest, you shouldn't pay anyone to do that.

If instead you want to have me shoot the footage or you would like to improve your shooting skills and then have me put something together, we can talk. But simply working from existing home video? I'd rather not, although you may find novice editors who would love to give it a shot.

Of course, I could be totally wrong about your footage. Send me some samples of your footage if you still want to try this. I get $35/hour for editing.

I could. But in my experience most amateur footage is not shot well enough to make a good video. Simply cutting together a bunch of clips and layering on some heavy metal music is not what I do and, to be honest, you shouldn't pay anyone to do that.

If instead you want to have me shoot the footage or you would like to improve your shooting skills and then have me put something together, we can talk. But simply working from existing home video? I'd rather not, although you may find novice editors who would love to give it a shot.

Of course, I could be totally wrong about your footage. Send me some samples of your footage if you still want to try this. I get $35/hour for editing.

its definately not high quality stuff haha. I just know absolutely nothing about video editing. Are there any cheap amateur video editing software programs that you recommend?

If you have a MAC you already have iMovie. I used iMovie for my first documentary. If you have a PC you probably have Movie Maker. That comes with Windows. Both iMovie and Movie Maker are fun, easy to use programs!

Let me know if you have any more questions.

That's how he rolls!! LOL!

mike great work you do

but you kiss so mush ass over at MD and this is just one more step to get inside the MD an film.. you do a great job love RTB 1 and 2
just a little to much ass kissin when i see u post over there..

Fair enough!

You can criticize my posts at MD but I have to defend this particular review. As I told Layne before I did this, I won't write it if I don't think it. I stand by every word of my review and people who have seen the DVD have agreed that it is accurate.

Just curious, I feel like I'm a guy that speaks his mind. What in particular have you seen at MD that constitutes ass kissing? I have supported MD in the recent controversy over the split of Dave and John. Is that what you are referring to?

it looks interesting..decent quality i guess. I thought the music went well with it for the preview. It could be good donno but id give it the benefit of the doubt by giving it a look see. IMO

mike great work you do

but you kiss so mush ass over at MD and this is just one more step to get inside the MD an film.. you do a great job love RTB 1 and 2
just a little to much ass kissin when i see u post over there..

FWIW this particular review seemed pretty fair... I don't see what this thread has to do with posts on the MD forum ...

Reminds me how small natural guys are. Shit.

i will check out the video. i watched some of his videos and the dude is pretty proud of himself. and pretty cheesy too. storming across the room to do a somewhat dcent set of deadlifts had me laughing. -STEELE

Layne always been stuck on himself ever since he was a teenager with no legs at all LOL.

Even tho I never really liked the kid because he pretty much feels that everyone who uses steroids is a cheater and a fake.

I give him props for turning pro and wish him nothing but the best but I dont think I could sit and watch the whole DVD.

Last edited:
Reminds me how small natural guys are. Shit.

Then again look at the man in your avatar. Extremely ripped for early 1900's, no gear, and what today we'd consider "strange training".:cool: Sandow had some great genetics

He looks natural :D

im not gonna agree or disagree but i do know a kid who i grew up with that weighed 225 lean prolly 8 percent bf at 19 no bs. Drink beer 3-4 nights a week but works out hard with a shit diet and crazy genetics.

The teaser looks good i like seeing how natural pros train, lots of focus and intensity!

Then again look at the man in your avatar. Extremely ripped for early 1900's, no gear, and what today we'd consider "strange training".:cool: Sandow had some great genetics
Didn't mean to sound like an ass. Hell, in a trailer I believe he says he's 230 lbs in the off-season and 195 during competition. I've done a handful of cycles and about 190 at contest body fat, and 215 while bulking.

Layne's got a great physique and it's nothing to scoff at, at all. It's just scary that he's a top-level (right?) natural competitor and he's like half 2/3 the overall weight and size of Olympic competitor.

Speaking of Sandow, wonder if his "strange training" entailed eating lots of cow balls. ;)

Didn't mean to sound like an ass. Hell, in a trailer I believe he says he's 230 lbs in the off-season and 195 during competition. I've done a handful of cycles and about 190 at contest body fat, and 215 while bulking.

Layne's got a great physique and it's nothing to scoff at, at all. It's just scary that he's a top-level (right?) natural competitor and he's like half 2/3 the overall weight and size of Olympic competitor.

Speaking of Sandow, wonder if his "strange training" entailed eating lots of cow balls. ;)

No you didn't seen like an ass at all; just was thinking about how ripped and defined Sandow was. Would be eating rocky mountain oysters be considered "performance enhancement"? Haha. From my experience usually the largest 'natural' guys don't even compete and you will never hear of.

i know, train with, shot video of, and seen bigger lifts with a friend of mine Mike Sheppard.
he is one of those silent types just doing his thing. after spending time with him i realized his diet is not great, workouts are brutal and he looks crazy. without even trying. he became a pro and was too lazy or careless or didn't know to put on tan and he won the overall and got his pro card!
those guys that don't say much are the ones to watch out for. -STEELE

yes looking at his crazyness in the gym might make u think that layne has a few screws loose, but if you read his posts on the forums, he seems like a pretty decent and sane guy..

yes looking at his crazyness in the gym might make u think that layne has a few screws loose, but if you read his posts on the forums, he seems like a pretty decent and sane guy..

I never thought Layne had a crazy bone in his body. I just always thought he did that cheesie shit in the gym for attnetion. Then again I dont even think I would notice Layne working out in my gym.

Staff online

• K1
    Blue-Eyed Devil
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear