advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

MILKSHAKING for endurance athletes - Give it a try!

ABO-for-2012

Banned
This is a new one that I just read about that will try this week. It is called "milkshaking" and is widely used in the horse racing community, although illegal.

Basically take approx 2 grams of baking soda, some 2 grams glucose and mix with a bottle of pedialyte or Gatoraide. Start drinking approx 2 hours before your event so you don't cramp.

Milkshakes are used to clear the lactic acid produced through prolonged aerobic work. When slow twitch muscles work, the byproduct produced is lactic acid, and the theory is that large amounts of soda will neutralise this, thereby alleviating sore, cramping muscles. While it shaking does work, it is limited to working on distance horses only - anything over a mile.

This is a new one that I just read about that will try this week. It is called "milkshaking" and is widely used in the horse racing community, although illegal.

Basically take approx 2 grams of baking soda, some 2 grams glucose and mix with a bottle of pedialyte or Gatoraide. Start drinking approx 2 hours before your event so you don't cramp.

Milkshakes are used to clear the lactic acid produced through prolonged aerobic work. When slow twitch muscles work, the byproduct produced is lactic acid, and the theory is that large amounts of soda will neutralise this, thereby alleviating sore, cramping muscles. While it shaking does work, it is limited to working on distance horses only - anything over a mile.

when you say sore, do you mean the "burn" or doms?

I've been using baking soda for a while now to help my body deal with the acidity that comes from a hard workout. I use Potassium bicarbonate as well, to balance the sodium.

Hi!!

If you do it frequently you will have some "buffering" capabilities over lactic acid, and you will really notice that (some years ago I did it for a while)!

The only problem with that is that your stomach will be ******up... It is very hard for the stomach. I had to stop using baking soda because every time I drink it I became sick!

Nevertheless, if you can take it, it will get you some results!

Cheers.

I would certainly practice this several times prior to a race. This is fairly hardcore. I have read it works, but how much is the question? It can certainly ruin your race, so know exactly what it does to you, how long it helps, is there a point were it starts to impead performance. Do you take it and throw up in 20 minutes.

I'm suspicious if it's worth the effort - potential max 5% gain on the upside, unable to even race on the down side. Admittedly, I don't know.

So I am 100% speculating here.

Plus how many of you guys do aerobic stuff where lactic acid buildup is a limiting factor? That's not a few mile job, or walking incline on the treadmill.

Very interesting topic tho. I'm loving this change in the same old, same old.

Thank you to the OP!:lightbulb:

Last edited:
I would certainly practice this several times prior to a race. This is fairly hardcore. I have read it works, but how much is the question? It can certainly ruin your race, so know exactly what it does to you, how long it helps, is there a point were it starts to impead performance. Do you take it and throw up in 20 minutes.

I'm suspicious if it's worth the effort - potential max 5% gain on the upside, unable to even race on the down side. Admittedly, I don't know.

So I am 100% speculating here.

Plus how many of you guys do aerobic stuff where lactic acid buildup is a limiting factor? That's not a few mile job, or walking incline on the treadmill.

Very interesting topic tho. I'm loving this change in the same old, same old.

Thank you to the OP!:lightbulb:

Yep... I agree! If you don't try it before, you will be off the race in no time... throwing up all that you have in your stomach!!! :'ood-smil

Nonetheless I felt increases in performance far superior than just 5%! :D

Cheers!

Last edited:
I'm going to give this a try.. I'll post up my feedback in a few weeks .. :sp:rt-smi

I read this on pub med...no first hand experience. I'm medical, and the body is very good at controlling it's PH, my first thought was that the only way to do this would be to go IV with Bicarb, once you hit the wall. Otherwise you would need to have the peak of bicarb hit before/as your body could metabolize it. Cytosports Gatorade mix has a mix of stuff that is supposed to slow down lactic acid, seems to work or me. try it and see. worst case is you shit your brains out, you can then put the box of bicarb in the fridge to freshen it up. lol.....Arginine is good too, that is what is in True nutrition BCAA boost cocktail...that also seems to help.

NTRODUCTION:

Sodium bicarbonate (NaHCO3) ingestion has been shown to increase both muscle glycogenolysis and glycolysis during brief submaximal exercise. These changes may be detrimental to performance during more prolonged, exhaustive exercise. This study examined the effect of NaHCO3 ingestion on muscle metabolism and performance during intense endurance exercise of approximately 60 min in seven endurance-trained men.
METHODS:

Subjects ingested 0.3 g.kg-1 body mass of either NaHCO3 or CaCO3 (CON) 2 h before performing 30 min of cycling exercise at 77 +/- 1% .VO(2peak) followed by completion of 469 +/- 21 kJ as quickly as possible (approximately 30 min, approximately 80% .VO(2peak)).
RESULTS:

Immediately before, and throughout exercise, arterialized-venous plasma HCO3- concentrations were higher (P < 0.05) whereas plasma and muscle H+ concentrations were lower (P < 0.05) in NaHCO3 compared with CON. Blood lactate concentrations were higher (P < 0.05) during exercise in NaHCO3, but there was no difference between trials in muscle glycogen utilization or muscle lactate content during exercise. Reductions in PCr and ATP and increases in muscle Cr during exercise were also unaffected by NaHCO3 ingestion. Accordingly, exercise performance time was not different between treatments.

CONCLUSION:

NaHCO3 ingestion resulted in a small muscle alkalosis but had no effect on muscle metabolism or intense endurance exercise performance in well-trained men.

I read this on pub med...no first hand experience. I'm medical, and the body is very good at controlling it's PH, my first thought was that the only way to do this would be to go IV with Bicarb, once you hit the wall. Otherwise you would need to have the peak of bicarb hit before/as your body could metabolize it. Cytosports Gatorade mix has a mix of stuff that is supposed to slow down lactic acid, seems to work or me. try it and see. worst case is you shit your brains out, you can then put the box of bicarb in the fridge to freshen it up. lol.....Arginine is good too, that is what is in True nutrition BCAA boost cocktail...that also seems to help.

NTRODUCTION:

Sodium bicarbonate (NaHCO3) ingestion has been shown to increase both muscle glycogenolysis and glycolysis during brief submaximal exercise. These changes may be detrimental to performance during more prolonged, exhaustive exercise. This study examined the effect of NaHCO3 ingestion on muscle metabolism and performance during intense endurance exercise of approximately 60 min in seven endurance-trained men.
METHODS:

Subjects ingested 0.3 g.kg-1 body mass of either NaHCO3 or CaCO3 (CON) 2 h before performing 30 min of cycling exercise at 77 +/- 1% .VO(2peak) followed by completion of 469 +/- 21 kJ as quickly as possible (approximately 30 min, approximately 80% .VO(2peak)).
RESULTS:

Immediately before, and throughout exercise, arterialized-venous plasma HCO3- concentrations were higher (P < 0.05) whereas plasma and muscle H+ concentrations were lower (P < 0.05) in NaHCO3 compared with CON. Blood lactate concentrations were higher (P < 0.05) during exercise in NaHCO3, but there was no difference between trials in muscle glycogen utilization or muscle lactate content during exercise. Reductions in PCr and ATP and increases in muscle Cr during exercise were also unaffected by NaHCO3 ingestion. Accordingly, exercise performance time was not different between treatments.

CONCLUSION:

NaHCO3 ingestion resulted in a small muscle alkalosis but had no effect on muscle metabolism or intense endurance exercise performance in well-trained men.

I would think that if it did not work then it would not be banned in the horse racing community. I will be trying this next week or 2 as my GW will probably be out of my system somewhat.

yeah I saw a UK study that said it boosted absolute performance at 90%:D max heart rate about 5%...post up if it works for you. My gut is soft tho....very sensitive. I'd shit my brains out.

I read this on pub med...no first hand experience. I'm medical, and the body is very good at controlling it's PH, my first thought was that the only way to do this would be to go IV with Bicarb, once you hit the wall.

I think the body, under very normal circumstances is able to tightly regulate it's own pH. The exceptions are during extreme exertional stress, and during times of disease.

For example we know that kidney patients will receive an infusion of bicarbonate to help filter the blood if the kidneys are not working properly.

I personally believe that in a short period of time the overload of acidity is so great in athletes, that the kidneys cannot keep up with the demand of bicarbonate to help buffer the blood, so supplementing with it helps to a pretty decent degree.

I only feel strongly about this because I've felt it work, so perhaps I am trying to make science fit my experience, which isn't helpful.

I also think some of us can use some help because we eat way too much goddamn protein. Say what you want about the boogie man and protein and the kidneys - you guys in this sport are eating so much protein that the body has to work like a mofo to counteract the acidity, and there is stress on the kidneys as well.

I think this is where we see the difference between a bodybuilder who gets his other nutrients through fast food, versus the bodybuilder who gets his nutrients through fresh vegetables and fruits - all the alkalinity of those foods help offset the acidity, rather than add to it like the first group's diet.

I've even experimented with a decent sized dose of bicarbonate in the middle of the day after a workout. I was feeling like shit and I thought what the hell. Damnit if I didn't feel tremendously better after ten minutes.

I remember people trying this and a lot just got sick to their stomach. However, i don't understand how this can reduce DOMS as lactic acid or H+ or whatever we want to call it has no connection to DOMS

I remember people trying this and a lot just got sick to their stomach. However, i don't understand how this can reduce DOMS as lactic acid or H+ or whatever we want to call it has no connection to DOMS

I never found it to be helpful with DOMS. I do find it helpful in finishing workouts strong, and just as important: not feeling like dried-out ass after a hard workout.

Interesting you have a link?:)

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
MindMuscle88
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner