over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Minimum number of sets/reps to stimulate growth

When applied to the general population, i would have to think everything else staying the same, that high volume as close to failure as they can would be the best for most especially for those new to lifting. As skill increased then lowering volume would possibly be better. On an individual basis i find what people are willing to do often achieves more then what works best for most.

Do you do full body workout Ed or just hit lagging parts that frequently? Different rep ranges, failure every day? If I do it I'll go to failure I hate the idea of using rir but I'd keep reps 20 and up
Full body every day, one set to failure. Different rep ranges throughout the week but never less than 8 reps. Usually 12-20.
I made a thread about it back in June which outlines the exact split and exercises/reps, etc. Best gains I've ever made in my life.
I'm back to DC training right now, but plan on cycling in the full body routine a handful of times/ year. It does take a toll on the joints after awhile.

Full body every day, one set to failure. Different rep ranges throughout the week but never less than 8 reps. Usually 12-20.
I made a thread about it back in June which outlines the exact split and exercises/reps, etc. Best gains I've ever made in my life.
I'm back to DC training right now, but plan on cycling in the full body routine a handful of times/ year. It does take a toll on the joints after awhile.
I think I remember the thread actually forgot it was you who started it but definitely remember. Do you alternate between the two approaches (DC and full body)? Seems like a great way to periodiize training. Which DC split do you run 2, 3 or 5 way?

Simple for me. If I crush a bodypart with high weight to failure 4 or 5 work sets, that muscle is dead to me for 5-7 days (typical 4 day bro split).

If I do lighter weight and leave a rep in the tank on sets or no forced reps or drop sets than I can usually hit that bodypart again in 2-3 days.

This is going to vary hugely from person to person and particularly whether surplus, maintenance, or deficit calories are being consumed. Surplus is quickest recovery, deficit is slowest.

No secret sauce there at all.

I think I remember the thread actually forgot it was you who started it but definitely remember. Do you alternate between the two approaches (DC and full body)? Seems like a great way to periodiize training. Which DC split do you run 2, 3 or 5 way?
Yep, I alternate the full body split with DC 3 way.
I enjoy both styles equally

I made really good calf gains doing calves 2 on 1 off. Day one, straight leg 4-5 sets, day 2 bent knee 4-5 sets. Extremely hard sets.

And when I say terrific…I mean they actually grew some…over that 6 month period.

The problem you run into with high frequency is the connective tissue getting angry at you. You have to make sure to swap exercises and throw out the big offenders. Like, ez bar skull crushers, DB incline skull crushers, overhead DB extensions on a high frequency program would be poor programming for a 35 year old with achy elbows. You’d need maybe a v-bar push down , a Jm press, and rope OH extension to keep the elbow happy

Many thoughts but the predominant one is WHO CARES. I hate questions like that. 1 true working set is enough to stimulate growth but you are not going to walk in the gym do a few warm up sets and do one working set and go home. Just do what you want to do. If you want to do low volume do it because it will work as long as you go to failure and you can still fit in many sets and various exercises in a 30 min session for example. If you are late to the gym the gym before work due to traffic and you only have 20 mins to train then go all out for 20 mins but under any other circumstances why would anyone want to do the bare minimum everyday in the gym.

If you don't have much time because you work loads then sure fast workouts and hit it hard and be out in 30 mins. Although if you are like most other people and enjoy the gym just do what you want to do and what makes you happy. As long as you are not doing failure set after failure set after failure set and spending hours in the gym destroying your body you are going to be just fine. Just adding the other day I was late for the gym and it was closing and I had 40 mins to train and I went crazy pushing it and barely resting between sets and the sweat was pouring off me and I was pretty much done in just over 30 mins and this was far from a low volume workout so you can fit in a lot in a short period but me personally I would rather allocate sufficient time for me to warm up, perform every exercise I want to do with rushing through them and then having time to stretch and go in the sauna and shower.

So whilst some may want to not waste time in the gym who really wants to do the bare minimum because you could stimulate growth effectively in 10-15 mins in the gym (4 warm up sets and 2 working sets for squats for example) but for optimal results doing a bit more and hitting each muscle using different movement patterns (exercises) is always going to better.

Agree. Id guess most cases of guys bringing up lagging parts probably came from..

1. They were undertraing them to begin with then upper volume.

2. They were using bad form not hitting target muscle then changed to good form.

I agree. People can bring up lagging body parts through training alone. Although if someone has been training a while and doing all the basics and everything grew minus 1 bodypart then it's probably never going to be a strong bodypart but it can still be improved. It's usually not a volume thing unless it's something they simply neglected and barely trained which many do for legs or calves for example.

Now I see the bad form thing a lot and it really can make a big difference to someone's results by improving their form and basically not allowing other muscles to take over. I done it myself with my chest and I was bench pressing 5pps with a shit chest for years but I improved my form and my chest grew because I started connecting with it. Once you have that initial connection and growth it makes future growth much easier. It's also very common with backs especially areas such as lats. I see a few guys who have weaker backs and they train their backs very heavy rowing 4pps and deadlifting 6-7pps but I can see 100% they could improve their backs if they modified their training and used movement patterns that actually hit what they want to hit.

When guys have good genetics they can just do all the basics and everything will fire optimally and look great but when someone has a very weak area they have to learn how to make the muscle fire/connect optimally. I must add though I see some bodybuilders and they get trained by what people consider training guru's and they have them doing alsorts of specific and detailed movements and most of the time they look exactly the same because the basics usually cover most and some do overcomplicate the crap out of things when for many it doesn't really make any difference.

Probably gonna ramble a bit so I apologize in advance I’m pretty shot from work and the gym today.

Well I think it’s going to be highly individual. How hard can the individual actually push their working sets and how well do they recover?
If somebody can train so hard that they can for a lack of better words completely destroy the muscle with one working set, then all they’d do with another is create more inroads into recovery.

I’ve grown off of about 2 working sets per body part a week and I’ve grown off of about 15.
I didn’t grow any more from 15 than I did 2.
I was able to train more weeks with 2 than 15 before deloading or taking time off so for me 2 was more productive
I was able to add weight or reps each week on both.

So for me personally the minimum amount was 2.

Many thoughts but the predominant one is WHO CARES. I hate questions like that. 1 true working set is enough to stimulate growth but you are not going to walk in the gym do a few warm up sets and do one working set and go home. Just do what you want to do. If you want to do low volume do it because it will work as long as you go to failure and you can still fit in many sets and various exercises in a 30 min session for example. If you are late to the gym the gym before work due to traffic and you only have 20 mins to train then go all out for 20 mins but under any other circumstances why would anyone want to do the bare minimum everyday in the gym.

If you don't have much time because you work loads then sure fast workouts and hit it hard and be out in 30 mins. Although if you are like most other people and enjoy the gym just do what you want to do and what makes you happy. As long as you are not doing failure set after failure set after failure set and spending hours in the gym destroying your body you are going to be just fine. Just adding the other day I was late for the gym and it was closing and I had 40 mins to train and I went crazy pushing it and barely resting between sets and the sweat was pouring off me and I was pretty much done in just over 30 mins and this was far from a low volume workout so you can fit in a lot in a short period but me personally I would rather allocate sufficient time for me to warm up, perform every exercise I want to do with rushing through them and then having time to stretch and go in the sauna and shower.

So whilst some may want to not waste time in the gym who really wants to do the bare minimum because you could stimulate growth effectively in 10-15 mins in the gym (4 warm up sets and 2 working sets for squats for example) but for optimal results doing a bit more and hitting each muscle using different movement patterns (exercises) is always going to better.
I wasn't advocating for doing the minimum, rather the oppsoite

Say I have weak triceps. I will have my regular tricep day, I can't do it like you and train instinticve or limit my time, I go at a certain time and have a planned routine and make sure I have time to complete all my sets, I just like to log things very careful and ensure im doing the same week to week so I can ensure progress (like DC training). Just how im wired I guess lol.

But anyway, say triceps are weak. So I have a bro-split, with an arm day. But they are weak so I want to hit them more often, but I only have so much time in the week to train. So I throw in a single set, or two sets, of triceps on back day, chest day, and delts day. At the end. Rather than change my routine that I like to now hit them twice, just throw in an extra set each day.

But ive heard some speculate you need at least 4 hard sets for it to even be worth while. But this particular study shows thats not the case.

So a possible way to bring up say,,,triceps, would be to have your arm day in a 5 day split. Then on those other 4 days, bang out 2 high rep sets of triceps after. I think this could be useful for people who like to do a bro split (chest, back,legs, off, arms, delts, off)

I typically do 2-3 warm ups, and 2 working sets per excercise. Last working set might vary between a back off straight set, drop set, or rest pause. I typically do this for 4-6 movements on any given training day. I also do PPL so everything gets hit twice a week with the exception of legs some weeks. Just my .02.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
12cc
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131