over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Mixed martial arts training...

cal

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Anyone with experience have any advice...

How should I change wt. training ?

What sort of cardio works best?

How much will it interfere with bodybuilding type of training. Seems to be a range of builds...some very muscular some very normal.

Thanks.

First off, what are your goals. Are you going to be training for fun or are you actually going to be stepping into the ring/cage? Always important to begin with the end in focus.

There are a lot of programs out there, but none will use bodybuilding methodology. It's a totally different animal. I'm 33 and in the best shape of my life (I sound like a bowflex commercial:D ) I highly reccomend any of Ross Enamait's stuff. This guys business is combat sports. Check him out at http://rosstraining.com

MMA

Its seems to me that all martial arts in general utilize an explosive speed type of force in a very controlled motion for strikes, and powerful sweeping movements for grappling,groundwork and submissions.
I feel basic bodybuilding training (compound movements like squats, benchpresses, military presses, etc.) with good all around developement and cycling from heavy/low reps (4-6) to medium weight/medium reps (6-8) and then lighter weights for higher reps (8-10) on a weekly basis (heavy all one week, then light the next, then medium in a continuous rotation) along with the roadwork and bag work (like a boxer) for building your endurance should be incorporated into your training. Your style of martial art is the determining factor on the rest of the specialized particulars.....
Don't look to put on much muscle while doing this.
Your diet will also have to be modified to include the energy foods for the speed/endurance training needed for Martial arts training.
What are you interested in?

MMA

Im not looking too far yet, ...just gonna train hard first and then see where Im at.

I realize training like a bodybuilder not ideal...so would more functional sort of things and some cardio etc. I would not be doing it for purely recreational purposes though.

I am not looking to put muscle on, just try and maintain more or less what I do have. Right now, I would be probably too heavy based on ht and wt. 5-8 and 215, with abs, don't know BF. I realize Id have to lose some wt, which is fine...

School i am looking into is Militich approved school...

Hey cal,

If you're just getting your feet wet in a Pat Militech school, the conditioning you're going to run into is going to be eye opening to say the least:)

Realizing that training MMA is a HUGE time commitment, I'd focus my time in the gym on basic full body movements such as the clean and press/jerk and the snatch. If you're new to these movements try and find a qualified coach who can teach you the proper form. Remmember, you only have a limited ability to recover from your total workload, even with the intelligent use of supplements, so it's very important to adhere to the 80/20 rule and spend your time wisely.

I've been around long enough to know the importance of not reinventing the wheel, so again I highly suggest visiting Ross's website. Many people still cling to the old-school idea that conditioning for combat sports is an aerobic endeavor, favoring traditional roadwork comprised of LSD running. The truth is that MMA is an explosive power oriented sport, and as such new training paradigms reflect this. Good luck.

It depends on your philosophy and fight plan. I know gracie beat everyone up when he was small but he also got butt raped by matt hughes. He then put on 15lbs at 40 years old went out and beat another legend and tested positive for deca. Sean Sherk welterweight champ also tested positive and looks like a lightweight bodybuilder. A lot of the bigger guys as well. Lots of mma guys are getting busted for juice. You have to have your cardio, you have to have technique, but being a 300lb monster doesn't hurt either. Personally I would rather be Ronnies size than have lance armstrongs endurance and gracies size and skill. Give me Ronnies size and I will kill Gracie. You want to be a bad ass 195lber fine you may beat the other 195lber but you at 220lbs would kick your ass(assuming same cardio and condition). Be the best you not the best 195lber get huge and train to fight then you are best prepared for battle.

don't have time to write...

but MMAGorrilla's post are dead on. Perfect advice.

Ross Enamait

Im currently training to fight/box competitively and I personally agree with MMAGorrilla and recommend you check out Ross Enamait. I have been training using his infinite intensity manual and I can say I am in much better condition and have improved my punching power and hand speed using some of his training techniques.

It depends on your philosophy and fight plan. I know gracie beat everyone up when he was small but he also got butt raped by matt hughes. He then put on 15lbs at 40 years old went out and beat another legend and tested positive for deca. Sean Sherk welterweight champ also tested positive and looks like a lightweight bodybuilder. A lot of the bigger guys as well. Lots of mma guys are getting busted for juice. You have to have your cardio, you have to have technique, but being a 300lb monster doesn't hurt either. Personally I would rather be Ronnies size than have lance armstrongs endurance and gracies size and skill. Give me Ronnies size and I will kill Gracie. You want to be a bad ass 195lber fine you may beat the other 195lber but you at 220lbs would kick your ass(assuming same cardio and condition). Be the best you not the best 195lber get huge and train to fight then you are best prepared for battle.
You're out of your mind. Gracie was beating people that outweighed him by 100 pounds. It is always better to be the more skilled fighter. Being bigger gets you gassed a lot quicker. If you watch the huge guys in MMA, they get gassed a lot faster than the smaller guys because all that mass requires a lot of energy. It isn't a no brainer to be bigger. Look at Couture, fought heavies and was the champ, then went down to the light heavies and won there. Now back to the heavies and he beat that fat fuck for the title and he must have been outweighed by 40 pounds

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
mp18201
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131