advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Mixing rep ranges in the same exercise/workout?

How about if we train each bodypart once per week AND use all 3 rep ranges? Best of both worlds? :)

I always train muscles more than once every 7 days so don't know from experience but if I was to train them once a week I would be using all 3 rep ranges, starting from heaviest to lightest to get the best of both worlds, as you put it.

In the big picture, the ranges are just a guide for me to dictate weight and I do not really over analyse it. If I am going for 5-7 and I get 9 I raise the weight, if I get 4 I lower the weight etc..

In the long term as long as my weights are going up within that range it wont matter when that weight I am lifting doubles if I am lifting it for 5 reps or 7 reps.

I mix rep ranges every single work out that's how you hit everything completely . I do however start heavy as I'm strongest . But once I warm up and do the heavier I don't go light again . Say I do bent rows heavy or deads heavy then I do dumbell rows moderate then chin higher then pullovers light. On my heavy section after 6 strict I toss in few partials to extend the set and hit the deep fibers. Some research confirms that this causes hyperplasia / fiber splitting . Meaning to grow you can increase fiber size through heavy weight but you can Also increase total size by creating more fibers . Very common , since 2004 few studyies in Europe , am journal physiology and japan have used emg and MRI imaging to confirm . I personally have been able to add size to certain body parts after years if training . This way and I train clients part time found success . Variety is the key to shocking the body into growing . You need to always trick your body after you've become accustomed to regular training

LICSW/MSW/cscs/ USArmyVet

How about if we train each bodypart once per week AND use all 3 rep ranges? Best of both worlds? :)

No, not at all... Would you rather provide two growth cycles for the muscle by training twice per week or once? If you read previous posts, you have seen that various rep ranges stimulate the muscle differently and provide different levels of stress on the CNS. By using multiple rep ranges and style over the course of the week, you can hit a muscle more frequently and have more growth and recovery cycles...

I am wanting to hit up high rep squats but it just brings my squat down so much. I guess I'm in horrible condition.

I train each muscle 3 times a week and have tried the two following (both logged in my logbook):

1. All 3 ranges in one workout i.e. (first set 5-7) (second set 9-11) (third set 13-15) and that would be the same for Monday,Wednesday,Friday

2. 3 rep ranges but varied through the week i.e. Mon all 3 sets 13-15, all 3 sets Wed 9-11, Fri all 3 sets 5-7

After the same amount of time training on each style, same exercises and same diet #2 has made me much stronger and bigger.

#1 started well but lifting in the heavy range every day took its toll on my joints and progression stopped whilst #2 for whatever reason has me smashing my previous best lifts. It has taken my 5 rep range to the 13-15 rep range for any given weight

Great post bro

LICSW/MSW/cscs/ USArmyVet

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Itisisaysme510
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner