over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

mma fighters

qbkilla

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Has anyone here experience with MMA?

I rarely watch it but its on TV, I see guys 135lbs but their proportions look much better than many bodybuilders even though they are small

Does doing MMA interfere with bodybuilding? I assume yes, recovery

How do these guys eat? They weigh nothing, but can they eat alot due to their hard training? Do they eat like us?

What drugs do they use? These guys are not huge but are ripped and have definition, its not like their arms are sticks, and being so lean and a small waist gives them the illusion of size that would make bodybuilders jealous. I feel like we could learn from them as these are top athletes compared to NFL, NBA, Baseball players whose physiques are completely undesirable

MMA and bodybuilding don’t go together in my opinion.. 2 completely different goals, although of course there are some outliers...

To be successful in MMA yes muscle is needed but not the same kind of muscle if that makes sense, also agility, flexibility and stamina are huge... Also as I’m sure you know there are different weight classes but majority of those guys weigh in and the night of the fight are 10-20lbs heavier, they deplete/dehydrate the shit out of themselves to get the edge in a certain weight class..

As for food, some of the guys I know and have trained with eat like crazy, probably more than some bodybuilders because the workload is so intense, depending if they’re in a training camp or just “cruising” training so to speak... I know guys who compete at 155-170lbs that easily down 7-8k calories a day... But they can run 5-10 miles at a 6-7 minute pace and train twice a day sometimes... Some guys eat “normal” and diet is tightened up and more strict in terms of clean foods and specific to workload needs when a fight is approaching so that the last week is just water weight they’re depleting....

As for drug use a lot of guys obviously opt for short acting drugs that get out of the system quickly, Testosterone, Anavar, Winny, Halo, Tbol, EPO to name a few...

As to them weighing “nothing” yea in terms of bodyweight, but that 135-155lb guy can probably manipulate a “bodybuilder” in a fight like they’re the ones that weigh nothing lol

MMA and bodybuilding don’t go together in my opinion.. 2 completely different goals, although of course there are some outliers...

To be successful in MMA yes muscle is needed but not the same kind of muscle if that makes sense, also agility, flexibility and stamina are huge... Also as I’m sure you know there are different weight classes but majority of those guys weigh in and the night of the fight are 10-20lbs heavier, they deplete/dehydrate the shit out of themselves to get the edge in a certain weight class..

As for food, some of the guys I know and have trained with eat like crazy, probably more than some bodybuilders because the workload is so intense, depending if they’re in a training camp or just “cruising” training so to speak... I know guys who compete at 155-170lbs that easily down 7-8k calories a day... But they can run 5-10 miles at a 6-7 minute pace and train twice a day sometimes... Some guys eat “normal” and diet is tightened up and more strict in terms of clean foods and specific to workload needs when a fight is approaching so that the last week is just water weight they’re depleting....

As for drug use a lot of guys obviously opt for short acting drugs that get out of the system quickly, Testosterone, Anavar, Winny, Halo, Tbol, EPO to name a few...

As to them weighing “nothing” yea in terms of bodyweight, but that 135-155lb guy can probably manipulate a “bodybuilder” in a fight like they’re the ones that weigh nothing lol

Good post, that is alot of running. You would think that would lead to them being less muscular than they are, seeing how skinny Long distance runners are. For people that love to eat, MMA may be a good career choice, id love to have the ability to put down 7-8 k calories.

Out of all the actual sports, it seems like MMA have the best physiques by far. I mean just lean ripped muscle.

And as for bodybuilders and fighting, I personally think bodybuilding has an inverse relationship on fighting skill. I would be more concerned with getting my ass kicked by a street thug than a 200 + lb bodybuilder, stiffness, potential of past injuries, loss of flexibility, lack of cardio, all reasons why I don't think us bodybuilders are very good fighters at all. I don't feel that bodybuilding strength translates at all to functional strength in a fight. Maybe the one thing BBers may have going is just the extra weight, but that is probably cancelled out by lack of cardio and heart efficiency.

we have one big guy here who trains MMA

cant remember his name tho

edit: Big Dave Smith

I wonder how he’s doing after his bicep tear

Daves a wealth of knowledge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:yeahthat: Perfect answer...Touches on everything.

For all intents and purposes, the quoted post highlights many of the basic differences b/n training for bb'ing v. training for MMA/NHB. Don't forget all the interval cross training sessions thrown in for good measure (NOT CrossFit). Furthermore, when prepping for an MMA/NHB fight, an individual is more likely to sustain a serious injury leading up to a match given the nature of the core fighting styles that must be practiced w/sparring partners with varying degrees of intensity (e.g. full contact stand-up and ground sparring w/4 oz gloves, head gear, and mouth piece for 5 x 5 min rounds w/1 min rest b/n rounds at ~75% intensity).

While on this subject, one of the most common mistakes I've noticed over the years made by MMA/BJJ beginners that are bigger, stronger, and built like bb'ers is virtually all start out relying pure strength +/- athleticism to "tap out" someone of similar rank or "win the round" sparring w/another beginner. When these guys don't pick up on the unwritten rules of training at the academy within the first 2-3 weeks and continue steam rolling other beginners and even some less skilled newly intermediate ranked members, he will intermittently get paired with a seasoned and technically sound training partner who is told to "work this guy." Is it a coincidence that these particular training rounds always last about 10 mins instead of the usual 5-6 minutes? :D

What do these guys do specifically to build muscle? Looking at them they either have good genetics or are doing some form of resistance training. But maybe they dont we just see the genetically elite on tv. I feel like these guys aesthetics are far superior to all but thr top 10% of guys I see in the gym and forums, things like arm to waist ratio. A 20 inch arm to me isn't impressive if a 38 inch waist accompanies it.

What do these guys do specifically to build muscle? Looking at them they either have good genetics or are doing some form of resistance training. But maybe they dont we just see the genetically elite on tv. I feel like these guys aesthetics are far superior to all but thr top 10% of guys I see in the gym and forums, things like arm to waist ratio. A 20 inch arm to me isn't impressive if a 38 inch waist accompanies it.

They typically have 2-3 sessions a week of weight training (strength and conditioning) from what I’ve seen.. A lot of power cleans and clean and press, kettlebells and things of that nature, nothing close to a bodybuilding routine...

Yea you do see some guys who look like genetic freaks built in a science experiment like Tyrone Woodley, Yoel Romero and Francis Ngannou but there’s guys like Daniel Cormier who wouldn’t turn a single head in a gym or beach looking tubby tubby but arguably the only person on the planet that can beat him up is Jon Jones lol

I think he said he does BJJ if I remember correctly, which is a part of MMA regardless...

Which is not to say my answer means you can’t be big and get very skillful/dangerous in MMA or a martial art that’s involved in it but I think anything past 2-3 sessions a week and he’d have a hard time keeping that size as that type of training literally incinerates calories..

I think he said he does BJJ if I remember correctly, which is a part of MMA regardless...

Which is not to say my answer means you can’t be big and get very skillful/dangerous in MMA or a martial art that’s involved in it but I think anything past 2-3 sessions a week and he’d have a hard time keeping that size as that type of training literally incinerates calories..

that could be easily compensated for by just eating more.. or having peri-workout nutrition with some insulin

i imagine the real toll would be on the joints/possible muscle tears

that could be easily compensated for by just eating more.. or having peri-workout nutrition with some insulin

i imagine the real toll would be on the joints/possible muscle tears

Mmmm I’m not so sure man..

I say that because doing 2-3 BJJ sessions a week a “bodybuilder” can look at it as cardio as well as other types of training and still do his weights and grow given the food and recovery are there obviously... But doing 5-6 or 2x a day of BJJ and I say it becomes significantly harder to grow, the amount of food needed and the recovery needed might not be feasible, remember on top of those 5-6 sessions that person is going to need 3-4 weight lifting days as well and that’s a lot of training for growing, even for maintenance I see it as a lot...

It would be interesting to see someone do it for a prep though, I can see someone getting in great condition like that and BJJ is a hell of a lot more fun and useful than walking on a treadmill lol

one thought I have, some of these guys are jacked relative to their bodyweight so the recovery can't be too bad from these sessions, although im sure it impacts their ability to lift like guys like us can

but if they can do all this intense non-weightlifting activity and still carry good muscle mass for their weight, maybe it indicates that something like HIIT can be done more often and not impact recovery?

I often hear people say to be careful with HIIT as it impacts recovery and I roll my eyes. a HIIT session can be 15 minutes of sprints. That isn't something that should impact upper body recovery at all and I would argue leg recover for those on AAS and who have average to above average recovery ability

I train legs 2x a week, and do HIIT 3x a week (15 minutes sprint and walk back each time) and my legs lifts are always going up and the HIIT feels great.

one thought I have, some of these guys are jacked relative to their bodyweight so the recovery can't be too bad from these sessions, although im sure it impacts their ability to lift like guys like us can

but if they can do all this intense non-weightlifting activity and still carry good muscle mass for their weight, maybe it indicates that something like HIIT can be done more often and not impact recovery?

I often hear people say to be careful with HIIT as it impacts recovery and I roll my eyes. a HIIT session can be 15 minutes of sprints. That isn't something that should impact upper body recovery at all and I would argue leg recover for those on AAS and who have average to above average recovery ability

I train legs 2x a week, and do HIIT 3x a week (15 minutes sprint and walk back each time) and my legs lifts are always going up and the HIIT feels great.

Definitely have a point but also, how long did you work up to that?

Let’s not forget the guys you’re watching on TV are the elite of the elite... They’ve been doing this the majority of their lives and some guys since they were in grade school... They’ve built up to being able to do 2, 3 and even 4 sessions a day during an intense training camp..

You’re not going to be Joe Lunchbox the bodybuilder (not saying this about you but just in general) who lifts weights 4x a week with some 15 min HIIT cardio and take it to the level these guys do from one moment to the next lol it just isn’t happening..

You are physiologically correct, sir, especially when training for competition. When you're toe-to-toe w/your opponent and the referee - assuming you're at a sanctioned event - shouts "fight" or something similar, one of the last things on your mind is your size +/- arm to waist ratio. :D

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
12cc
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws