over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

MMA vs Weight lifter

If anyone ever thinks that they're tough, stop by a gym one weekend for Open Mat and test yourself. You'll be surprised how easily you'll gas. You can't train cardio for grappling with Anything other than grappling.

Yes, that...

I'm testing for my brown belt soon. Grappling since 2009. 250-280lbs, relative to the season.

I got murdered for the first 2-3 years. Now it's difficult to find rolling partners because I have the cardio to roll a half an hour while defending and attacking.

Who do you train under?

250+ Brown,.....I'd be avoiding you like the plague.

point exactly. off course skilled/trained fighters have an advantage. all skills being roughly the same the bigger stronger guy will always have the advantage. this is why we have weight classes.

Only if the stronger guy also has the condition to back up the strength advantage. Many strong guys I have encountered have zero conditioning. From the mount position they are not throwing me off. They gas within a minute or two. Done.

On the other hand, I would easily reverse the big strong guys who started mounted on me. Technique > strength. So yes if all things are equal, the strength advantage is beneficial but the conditioning and endurance must be there.

Last edited:
The last time I fought was in HS. Why anyone would want to fight to prove they are better, or stronger is beyond me. I'm a master trim carpenter. So if you think you can run stain grade crown molding with no experience bring it on. Why do you think someone with no training, would be able to fight someone that's been training for fighting for years. :rolleyes:

The only time I will roll around sweaty with someone, they will have tits and a taco.

It amazes me the amount of powerlifters and bodybuilders that think big muscles means they can fight. We had many come into various kickboxing and MMA gyms over the years. Some would even bring their girlfriends to watch them spar and rough us up. Time after Time these people would be knocked out, choked unconscious, or arm barred fairly easily in front of their girlfriends. There are many videos of buff guys getting dropped outside clubs by much smaller guys. Strength is only one component of what a fighter needs to master. Strength, conditioning, striking skill set, wrestling skill set, submission hold skill sets, reversal skill sets, maintaining dominant position skill set.

Weights don't hit back. Big muscles are false confidence.

That's only partially true. I have done Kenpo for decades and anyone who tells you size and strength don't matter is full of bull. They are not the end all be all, but it sure makes things more difficult.

you only need to watch the Roger Huerta video of him knocking that dude twice his size out to know skill will always win over size (although you dont see the actual fight, just Roger going up to him, and then the big dude out cold)

If you haven't heard the real story behind that it's pretty bad lol. To keep it brief the big guy that gets startched by Huerta was a linebacker at the University of Texas. The guy met a girl and thought the night they dance and kiss; they leave a club and the guy realizes he has been kissing and grinding on a guy that looked like a girl. So the linebacker hits the cross dresser/transgender guy. Huerta thinks this big linebacker is beating a girl up so he comes to the rescue.

Brutal night for that guy

moral of the story is don't mess with anyone :eek:

should teach this shit in grade school

That's only partially true. I have done Kenpo for decades and anyone who tells you size and strength don't matter is full of bull. They are not the end all be all, but it sure makes things more difficult.

And that is exactly why Brazilian Jui-jitsu is far superior to kempo.....the techniques of the former are designed to beat the bigger stronger person. Even in kickboxing you should be able to pick apart and unskilled bigger fighter....if not it's time to get a refund.

Most traditional martial arts are garbage for the street anyways, this was proven in the first 6 UFC'S when it truly was style vs style. Back then groin strikes were legal , everything was legal except fish hooking and eye gouging.

Last edited:
Bobby Lashley is a bad example because he was like a junior college national champion wrestler. Mariusz Pudzianowski is a good example, although he has worked hard and had some success. As for that street fight, by all accounts the fighter is a POS who starts fights all the time and was starting shit all night. They had two little skirmishes before the actual fight and weightlifter suggested they exchange information and meet up at a gym the next day to have a fair fight in a ring when they were sober. I think he finally gave in and squared off, to his detriment. He had a wrestling background and probably was not the kind of big guy who thinks muscle equals badass fighter.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Professional Muscle mobile app

The only time I will roll around sweaty with someone, they will have tits and a taco.

Lmfao

No need for violence unless self defense or protecting your loved ones

And that is exactly why Brazilian Jui-jitsu is far superior to kempo.....the techniques of the former are designed to beat the bigger stronger person. Even in kickboxing you should be able to pick apart and unskilled bigger fighter....if not it's time to get a refund.

Most traditional martial arts are garbage for the street anyways, this was proven in the first 6 UFC'S when it truly was style vs style. Back then groin strikes were legal , everything was legal except fish hooking and eye gouging.

agreed for the most part.. when it comes to "self defense," if you only could pick 1 martial art, you really couldn't go wrong training in either judo or bjj.

That line of thinking was popular when Royce was tearing it up. Strikers caught up and learned to defend.

Regardless, my forte is a nasty wheel kick. I can throw it at any angle and just about any height. I do a lot of breaking. I usually fight super heavyweight which pretty much makes it open to guys topping 300 lbs. Those big guys absorb those wheel kick way more effectively than the smaller guys.

Bigger guys are usually harder to knock down or out than smaller guys. Ever fight a 350 lb dude? Watch how ineffective your body shots are.

Did you wrestle on high school or college? Ever go up a weight class or two? I'd you had you know it makes things tougher.

Last edited:

i would COMPLETELY disagree with a grappling art like bjj is better then a striking art for 95% of street fighting scenarios...sport fighting with a set ring, refs, and no other moving parts, yes, jiu jitsu very very efficient art...but ...how many street fights have you in seen in person won by BJJ as an adult, and how many ended by a good punch???? lol ... sorry man, but BJJ is practically USELESS for where 99% of fights occur in clubs and pubs or confined spaces... for sport fighting, yes, ground fighting submission arts are veryyyyy important... if you are in a FAIR 1 on 1 with good spacing and no fear of others coming in, weapons, etc....... but... when your in confined space and the fights average about 15 seconds to a minute or 2, you want to strike and not get struck the fastest and most violent way possible... most likely scanning the environment for other possible threats as no-one is sitting at the bars and club solo just allowing you a good clean fair fight like in the movies... you aren't going to the ground in the middle of the bar using your rubber guard and gassing someone out lol... ... its as simple as that... hit, don't get hit :lightbulb:

also, if you aren't in mma training, and just pure BJJ... what a fuckin wakeup call it is when you put on some training glove and allow strikes to play apart... all of a sudden most the shit you learn is out the window bc your positioning and rolling all around just leaves your head vulnerable..

.... i am not THAT good at bjj... but you take me to ground and we are in STREET COMBAT fighting for our lives, i will grab a handful of your nuts, bite a chunk out your face, or stick my fingers in your eye socket while ur all trying to gas me (non traditional moves you aren't trained to defend) ... there is nothing much you can do about it bc your trying to not let me have space, just pulling me closer...

Last edited:
i would also have to put a Kenpo practitioner up against your theory of who dominated as Chuck Liddel was a 5th degree Kenpo blackbelt and the LHW champion with quite a few defenses....and was one f the most feared and popular fighters ever to fight in ufc.... when was the last time since gracie that a very strict BJJ fighter who uses his bjj primarily to win like a jacare or damian maia was champion w multiple successful defenses?

Gracie dominated in his era bc no one KNEW WHAT HE WAS DOING... bjj was foreign to 99% of fighters and they had no clue of even the basics... but look at even the best BJJ fighters after him like werdum/bj penn....they were winning off striking then as opponent wears, they'd sub...

Last edited:
Team SAS @ a place called Paper Street. My coach is under Daniel Beleza.

What about you?

NOLA BJJ New Orleans

Very short lineage, instructor and IBJJF World and Pan Am champion, Matthias Meister was awarded his BB by Carlos Jr.

Carlos, Carlos Jr, Matthias and us students. This doesn't make me a better Blue by lineage, I just think it's pretty cool being so short.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws