over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Modern or Old school bodybuilders?

Old school for sure....... as big as these guys and gals are today, they really aren't necessarily better than the bodybuilders of yesteryear. Take Larry Scott for example, No one has better arms than him. He has such complete arm development. Pound for pound, Tony Pearson's back is still untouched.

Chris Dickerson still has some of the best calves ever........ Mike Christian still has the best triceps of anyone....... the competitors today, are 50-60 pounds heavier but they lack separation in their quads........ except for maybe Milos and Cormier. I like the physiques from the 70s up until the late
90s. That is when this whole craze started. IMHO

I was talking to Albert Beccles who goes to my gym, he was a competitive bodybuilder in the 60's 70's and 80's, and he told me that the difference is that in the old days you would see a bodybuilder and you'd want to look like him, and you know you could if you trained hard. But today, you see a bodybuilder, and you admire his huge size but his development just seems out of reach for most people. So you think you can never look like that, and you might not even want to.

i agree with beckles totally. the last pro i saw in person was vince taylor many years ago, he was huge to me, the guys today are much bigger, i can't imagine how large they are in person. now there is a guy at the condominium complex that i work at named Rob Terry, who is presently trying to be a star with WWE, he's big as hell, tall too, massive guy

I think the old school look is better, but i also like the freaky comic book look to .

Old school, up to and including the days of Levrone, Ray, and Wheeler.
I met Newman in 1997 and he looked fantastic. Really nice kid too.

The early 90s was the best balance of size and shape.
This is the time I was competing and had a great love for the sport.
While I still find competitive BB interesting, it no longer holds the attraction it once did as the physiques are not as pleasing, IMHO.

did you guys see who is on the latest magazine cover, not sure which one exactly, but its arnold,after all these years and all the guys that have come since...arnold's physique sure has stood the test of time

I believe the guys of the past played to their own specific genetics. Bertil Fox and Sergio capitalized on their thickness while Zane and Dickerson capitalized on their shape and lines. All great in their own rights.

Today its like we have a formula,ie. if your not 6'10"+ you can't be a center. If your not 5'10 280 you can't be a competitive pro. With this mentality i think we miss alot of unique classic builds. Do you remember seeing Brian Buchanan's waist for the first time:eek:? I'm glad he didn't play the size game. How about Robbie Robinson awsome build/conditioning and his fro was huge, not aero dynamic shaved/bald like today.

Ruhl and company are 280-290 on contest day......but they are loaded up with synthol and their guts reach out to the judges.......seriously 40 inch waists in contest shape......and distorted looking delts with enough synthol to drown a small African village.

These guys today have lost their minds......save Dexter....Darrem....Troy.....Dugdale.....Melvin......Mcquay......and Danny Hester.......everyone else seems to have gone the oil route......just my .02!

definitely old school being that I'm old.....er lol:D. their shoulder to waist ratio or v- taper was much better, no hgh gut or ripped pot belly's.

i like the old school look, too. but that's not what bodybuilding competition is anymore...maybe that's why they are bringing in the 'physique contest' for men in the NPC. to add a little more 'beauty' to the freakiness of today.

It seems to me that women LOVED the bodybuilders of the 70s...and...not so much anymore. plus, i've met plenty of guys who would love to have an arnold, zane, etc look. but not many people say that about modern guys...just my observation.

old school guys like Arnold, Mentzer and Nubret up until early 90's Newman, Flex and Kevin.

Think everything changed after thata couple years after Dorian won the Olympia.

Last edited:
If I had to pick one I'd go with old school, just because the waist size was so much more appealing to me. I love that cobra look to the torso.

But the mass monsters are just mind-blowing.

1993 Flex Wheeler at the Arnold and Olympia is ideal for me. Nothing Bigger than that.

5 9' -6' and 220's-230's lbs conditioned is ideal i think...

Attachments

• flex.JPG
    flex.JPG
    40 KB · Views: 8,647
Last edited:
I love the look of the 60s (Reeves, Oliva, Draper, Pearl), 70s (Arnold, Nubret, Zane, Meltzer), & 80s (Paris, Wilkosz, Tinnerino, Scott Wilson). I just think they looked healthier, their condition was more attainable/realistic for the average lifter, and if you were to poll 100 people (men and women), 95 of them would say any one of the above mentioned bbers look better than todays bbers! (most women would say "he looks gross") And probably all of the men would say they'd prefer to look like these "classic bodybuilders" (or close to it). Granted, I admire the physiques of today also but deffinitely prefer/want to look like the old-timers!

Last edited:
I like the late 80's and early 90's the best. Most of today's builds I just don't care for. Levrone at the beginning of his Pro career is ideal to me that or Charles Clairmonte.

I forgot to mention Cormier at the 94 USA's at around 224lbs...He had a great look...

chris

dennis newman was a genetic gift to this world! I love physiques like a young shawn ray, mike francois, dennis newman, phil hernon, wheeler, levrone, cormier, and i even liked ronnies physique when he was placing no where on the map in pro shows.

I completely agree with your statement. Clairmonte, Ray, Levrone, Cormier, Benfatto, Labrada, Sherman and Cottrell all looked sensational....... now the guys look very bloated and blocky...... no shape whatsoever.

How about more old school like in the early 90's - Levorne at 228 (first pro wins, 2nd at the Mr.O to Yates) Wheeler at 216 (rookie year wins), Dennis Newman at 93 Nationals or 94 USA's, Or even newer guys, like Dennis James at 226-228 winning the USA's in 98 ???

That would be my idea look...

chris

Late 80's early 90's hands down. I agree with every one of the pics quoted above but have to add Barry Demay, Mike Christian, Gaspari, Haney, and Strydom. My top physique picks of ALL TIME are:
DENNIS NEWMAN and KEVIN LEVRONE

yes this physiques were and will be the best

Attachments

• rory.jpg
    rory.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 34,371

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
locoslave