over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Modern or Old school bodybuilders?

wow i did not relise they were just that weight?what hieght are they then as i am 230lbs now but at 6'3 i need alot more size packin on?

I think Mario Sarni (sp?) was 6-1 maybe 6-2 and got 2nd at a pro show in the late 90's (97 or 98 to milos) he was only in the mid 230's or so...I could be wrong, but someone on here would know...LATS, Phil, ect ???

chris

What is amazing that Levrone was useing very little gear.

Whats very little gear ??? Didnt he train all year around then, before he was pro and until his second year (until his pec tear)...I could understand that then, cause he would have the size already...I wonder what he did when he got smaller in the offseason (year's later) and then to grow into a show...

chris

Last edited:
Whats very little gear ??? Didnt he train all year around then, before he was pro and until his second year (until his pec tear)...I could understand that then, cause he would have the size already...I wonder what he did when he got smaller in the offseason (year's later) and then to grow into a show...

chris

During offseasons he would go off totaly of AAS, and he would go back on, close to the show. He was useing last than 800mg per week.

Victor Conte`s book is coming out, in the book you will see (with out names) how much, top pro bbs where useing.

How about more old school like in the early 90's - Levorne at 228 (first pro wins, 2nd at the Mr.O to Yates) Wheeler at 216 (rookie year wins), Dennis Newman at 93 Nationals or 94 USA's, Or even newer guys, like Dennis James at 226-228 winning the USA's in 98 ???

That would be my idea look...

chris

I definately agree that the early 90's was the perfect combination of symmetry and mass.

In my opinion, Dennis Newman is the ideal BB as he had more potential for stardom in the IFBB than any man in history. His marketability was endless and he was well on his way to being the face of the IFBB for years to come.

Attachments

• l_744a0d02cbcb33c3c91cb02de8a38c06.jpg
    l_744a0d02cbcb33c3c91cb02de8a38c06.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 716
I fall somewhere in the middle and like the best of both old and new school...Training and supps have come a long way in the last 20 years or so...I have been bodybuilding for about 25 years and have seen all the changes first hand...As far as gear goes, some old schoolers took way more than some due now...Not the norm, but they were in it for sure...Availability was much easier back then in regards to certain aas...We used to get 50ml bottles of finajet like it was nothing and primo was all over the place...We ate dbol like candy and had alll the good pharma anadrol and Lypho Med deca and Rugby test....Those were the days, but these are the days also in there own right...

I would like to hear from some of you IFBB Judges as to how you would critique the two, and who you would give the Oly to.

I agree...mikeheavypecs needs to chime in on this one in regards to judging

I forgot to mention Cormier at the 94 USA's at around 224lbs...He had a great look...

chris

During offseasons he would go off totaly of AAS, and he would go back on, close to the show. He was useing last than 800mg per week.

Victor Conte`s book is coming out, in the book you will see (with out names) how much, top pro bbs where useing.

Whats the name of the book, he is going to write ??? When is it coming out ???

chris

I like the late 80's and early 90's the best. Most of today's builds I just don't care for. Levrone at the beginning of his Pro career is ideal to me that or Charles Clairmonte.

I held this pole on my site and was very surprized by the results so thought id see how it goes here?
Which do you think is the better ?
99% went with old school when i did this vote?

**broken link removed**

The shot of Arnold and Ronnie is not completley fair.

Arnold's best shot vs. one of Ronnies less pleasing to look at.

Take this same pic of theses guys doing a rear double biceps instead of front and I guarantee those poll results are vastly different.

To me, the Mr. Olympia is supposed to be "the best in the world". Back in the day, Arnold was the best. But now a days IMO, Arny looks like an average NPC Bodybuilder, if that. I want to see the largest and most conditioned men on the planet on a IFBB Pro stage. If those guys from the 70's were to walk up and compete today, I wouldn't even want to watch. Now, I'm not trying to bash those guys whatsoever. Back then, they were a rare breed and give much respspect. If it werent for them, our sport wouldent exist. But as far as what body type I admire more, the current day men are much more impressive IMO. *Puts on Flame suit*

Last edited:
The shot of Arnold and Ronnie is not completley fair.

Arnold's best shot vs. one of Ronnies less pleasing to look at.

Take this same pic of theses guys doing a rear double biceps instead of front and I guarantee those poll results are vastly different.
Ronnie would absolutely dwarf Arny if they were really next to each other like that. To me Arnold looks a normal guy that works out his arms and chest, when he is wearing regular clothes. Ronnie looks like a massive animal in anything he wears.

Whats the name of the book, he is going to write ??? When is it coming out ???

chris

Balco: The straight Dope on Steroids,
is avaible for pre-order on Amazon.com

whats really amazing is to look at a picture of him then and now, talk about insane genetics for getting absolutely huge on a baby dose for a pro...

He's from my area and would pop in my old gym Max fitness
for supps, Now I know guys that new him and some said heavy cycles and
some said moderate. I know when he attended Meade High school
he averaged around 150lbs. Ya and he does blow up quick.

I definately agree that the early 90's was the perfect combination of symmetry and mass.

In my opinion, Dennis Newman is the ideal BB as he had more potential for stardom in the IFBB than any man in history. His marketability was endless and he was well on his way to being the face of the IFBB for years to come.
dennis newman was a genetic gift to this world! I love physiques like a young shawn ray, mike francois, dennis newman, phil hernon, wheeler, levrone, cormier, and i even liked ronnies physique when he was placing no where on the map in pro shows.

Last edited:
I like the late 80's and early 90's the best. Most of today's builds I just don't care for. Levrone at the beginning of his Pro career is ideal to me that or Charles Clairmonte.

I completely agree with your statement. Clairmonte, Ray, Levrone, Cormier, Benfatto, Labrada, Sherman and Cottrell all looked sensational....... now the guys look very bloated and blocky...... no shape whatsoever.

Ronnie would absolutely dwarf Arny if they were really next to each other like that. To me Arnold looks a normal guy that works out his arms and chest, when he is wearing regular clothes. Ronnie looks like a massive animal in anything he wears.

I am very sorry to say this but I disagree....... Arnold looked normal in street clothes but when he stripped down and stepped on the posing dais, he came to life....... small waist, best chest EVER, excellent arms, mind blowing calves, great back and nice overall flow to his physique. Legs were a little under par but other than that, he was the man........ Same with Franco, Robby and Serge Nubret. Coleman is monstrous and on a side note, a wonderful guy who is great with the fans, but he has taken on a look that is much like Fuchs and Ruhl....... too much mass and not enough shape and quality muscle........ in Ruhl's case...... too much synthol in the shoulders and bis...... just like Nasser.

Old school but with sligthly bigger legs..I love the vacume poses.
Mass monsters...I respect them..its an insane ammount of muscle, but it just doesnt look at appealing to me.

To me, the Mr. Olympia is supposed to be "the best in the world". Back in the day, Arnold was the best. But now a days IMO, Arny looks like an average NPC Bodybuilder, if that. I want to see the largest and most conditioned men on the planet on a IFBB Pro stage. If those guys from the 70's were to walk up and compete today, I wouldn't even want to watch. Now, I'm not trying to bash those guys whatsoever. Back then, they were a rare breed and give much respspect. If it werent for them, our sport wouldent exist. But as far as what body type I admire more, the current day men are much more impressive IMO. *Puts on Flame suit*
As you age, you will develop an appreciation for the physiques of the 70s. Remember this, magazines do not do these guys justice. Boyer Coe in person, is totally different than the man you see in the mags. Ask Phil Hernon about his experience with Lee Labrada. He said Lee in person blew his mind but some will say he was only 185-200 but to see him in person is another ball game.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member
  • A50#
    Old School Moderator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member