over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Mohamed Makkawy's precontest diet and traning routine

Magnum

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Thought some may find this interesting since this shows how different he trained compared to most guys today. Mohamed actually grew into a show and started his diet first before serious training. This guy was a machine and very disciplined with how he ate and trained.

Mohamed Makkawy wrote this article before leaving to compete in last year's Mr Olympia contest in Munich, Germany. He was placed second to Samir Bannout, but went on to win the Grand Prix that followed the Mr Olympia, an achievement that saw him crowned as Grand Prix champion, and hailed as today's most successful competing bodybuilding star. He is hot favourite to win the title this year. Now you too can follow the routine of the "Magic Egyptian" for success!

As I write this article I am preparing for the 1983 Mr Olympia contest which will be held in Munich, Germany, on September 24th, 1983. September 25th there is a Grand Prix contest in Zurich, then September 27th a Grand Prix contest in Sweden. Then October 1st the final Grand Prix contest in London, England.

Since I intend to enter all these contests in order to try and win the Grand Prix Championship I must train and diet in such a way that I keep my condition for all four contests. Many bodybuilders will enter the Mr Olympia and then give up after that, trying not to compete any more.

It is very difficult to hold a contest peak for even eight days, because at least a week before the contest I am practically starving, living only on special amino acids that I get from my trainer Vince Gironda. When I enter more than one contest, as is the case this time, then I must stay on this diet an extra week.

Since the Night of the Champions in May, I have been training very, very hard, and have turned down many appearances and seminars so that I could train and not repeat what happened before the Night of the Champions. My routine this time has been geared to get me as cut up and defined as possible, and also to place special emphasis on the back. Even though I show only one back routine in this article sometimes I vary it doing additional exercises on alternate days. My body has been responding very well, and I feel I have improved in all areas, but especially the back and arms. When the pictures of the Mr Olympia come out be sure to look at them and see if you agree that my arms are larger and more defined now than ever before.

The reason that I am going for more definition is that I expect my chief competition to come from Frank Zane and Samir Bannout. Both these bodybuilders are very symmetrical and well defined. Therefore the strategy of my manager, Ken Wheeler, and my trainer, Vince Gironda, has been to get me as cut to the bone as possible. But I must also have better development bodypart by bodypart in order to win. That is why, for example, I am doing so much work on my back. Frank and Samir both have excellent backs, so I must have too. Also by emphasising the arms I think I can overshadow them in the arm poses.

My posing routine will still use "Chariots of Fire" as a musical background, but I have made a few changes in it to try and show my back, shoulders and arms more. Vince has worked with me on this routine — I have just come back from training in California with him for two weeks and he says I am ready!

My diet has been the same as it always is when preparing for a contest. In other words I start out by eating only meat, chicken and fish (zero carbohydrates), then as the contest gets nearer I reduce the amount of food and take amino acids and liver tablets instead until in the last week when I live entirely on amino acids and liver tablets and no food.

My exact routine is listed below. However unless you are an advanced bodybuilder do not try and follow it exactly or you will lose muscle size. Notice how many times a day I train! For a better understanding of my recommendations for those who are not yet ready to compete in high level contests, I would like to advise you that I have completed my new training courses that Bob Kennedy has mentioned before in his "Bodypower" gossip column. Details of my courses are available if you write to me at: Super Fitness Centres Inc, 2110 Dundas Street East, Mississauga, Ontario L4X 1L9, Canada.

This is the way I am currently training. Every morning, Monday to Friday I work my legs completely. On every afternoon of these same days I work my back. On Monday and Thursday nights I work my chest. Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday nights I work my arms. And if you think I take a rest on Sundays you're mistaken! As the contest season comes around I do not allow myself this luxury. Most Sundays I will do some miscellaneous exercises, training any area that I feel needs extra attention. Currently I am doing some back and shoulder work during these Sunday sessions.

The last time details of my training routine were published I was performing most exercises for twelve reps each set. Right now I am doing eight reps in most exercises, handling a little more weight than I used to with twelve reps. I am noticing that my calves, as well as my back and arms, are all growing well. Of course this does not mean that eight reps are necessarily better than twelve. It is probably the shock value of the change–over.

I may well go back to higher reps again one day and enjoy yet another growth cycle. I train at a pretty fast pace aiming to keep a good style in every exercise. I do not perform heavy duty style training, neither do I perform forced or negative reps to increase basic power. Remember that back home in Egypt I used to be an Olympic weightlifter, and that's where I paid my dues with endless heavy, power workouts.

As I close this article, I would like to say a sincere thank you to all those who have supported me... my fans are my strength. They make me want to get better and better. Good luck in your training!
Mohamed Makkawy's Olympia Routine:

Chest

* Flat bench press (to neck): 5 x 8
* 20° Bench press (to neck): 5 x 8
* Incline bench press 40°: 5 x 8
* Bent arm pullover: 5 x 8
* Wide grip "Gironda" dips: 5 x 8
* Straight arm pullover: 5 x 10

Back

* High bench rowing: 5 x 8
* Pullups to waist: 5 x 8
* Wide grip chins behind neck: 5 x 8
* Wide grip pulldowns to chest: 5 x 8

Legs

* Hack squat: 5 x 8
* Seated pulley leg squeeze: 5 x 10
* Thigh curl: 5 x 10
* Thigh extension: 5 x 8
* Roman chair: 5 x 10
* Flat thigh extensions: 5 x 8
* Seated calf raise: 5 x 15
* Standing calf raise: 5 x 15

Abdominals

* Lying leg raise: 5 x 15 to 25
* Hanging leg raise: 5 x 15 to 25
* Hanging knee–in: 5 x 15 to 25
* Bent knee situps: 5 x 15 to 25
* Twisting situps: 5 x 15 to 25
* Cross ankle crunches: 5 x 15 to 25

Shoulders

* Wide grip rows: 5 x 8
* 45° lateral raise: 5 x 8
* Kneeling cable raise: 5 x 8
* Bent over cable raise: 5 x 8
* Lateral raise: 5 x 8
* Cable lateral raise: 5 x 8

Biceps

* Incline dumbbell curl: 5 x 8
* EZ Bar curls: 5 x 8
* Cable short range seated curls: 5 x 10

Triceps

* Parallel bar dips: 5 x 8

so if i read that right

40 sets for legs

monday thru friday!!!!!

:eek:

wow

so if i read that right

40 sets for legs

monday thru friday!!!!!

:eek:

He says Mon to Fri not "thru" so I think he meant Mon and Fri. Keep in mind he is including hams and calves too.

I thought he looked incredible too.

That is a tremendous amount of work. Wow.:eek:

He says Mon to Fri not "thru" so I think he meant Mon and Fri. Keep in mind he is including hams and calves too.

He says, "Every morning, Monday to Friday I work my legs completely." Which sounds a lot like, "Every morning, Monday to Friday I work my legs completely."

He says, "Every morning, Monday to Friday I work my legs completely." Which sounds a lot like, "Every morning, Monday to Friday I work my legs completely."

either way

i'm gonna have to refuse to believe this

i have no other choice

:p

either way

i'm gonna have to refuse to believe this

i have no other choice

:p

It is hard to believe. However, frequent high volume was more commonplace back then from what I've read and heard. Kinda makes one wonder a bit.

Training faster with short rest period works the best to me.....I took that advice from magnum.......:) Just forget the weight guy’s...Since the changes I made to my training, I fell much better and defiantly notice some muscle gains...

My diet has been the same as it always is when preparing for a contest. In other words I start out by eating only meat, chicken and fish (zero carbohydrates), then as the contest gets nearer I reduce the amount of food and take amino acids and liver tablets instead until in the last week when I live entirely on amino acids and liver tablets and no food.

A carniverous diet if i ever saw one...

That is a tremendous amount of work. Wow.:eek:

Yeah its.

He was a Gironda disciple. He would come train at Vinces prior to certain contest so Vince could get him dialed in.

Vince said that Mo was one of the greatest guys he ever worked with, which is pretty cool seeing as how Vince usually didnt have anything nice to say about anybody.

Alfresco, thanks for posting that picture.

sharp as a razor

He was in all the magazines I bought when I was much younger. I remember that he looked great, but that picture brings it back with a punch.

he is chiseled for sure. he mentioned in his precontest diet taking liver tablets and aminos. i remember eating hand fulls of them back in the day. does anyone still incorporate them in there supps. they were cheap no so much now. the ultra 40 are like 40 bucks for 500 not quite 3 weeks worth at 25 a day.

Routine and diet have all the Vince G hallmarks: Zero carb, high volume...for those doubting the Gironda volume, look up some of his old articles. Actually, he usually had ppl (including himself) do 8x8 not 4 or 5x8.
Diet was typically shit load of Eggs, meats, heavy cream in homeade protein drinks, veggies. If you see old pics of Vince, his physique and conditioning are amazing for any era, it's little wonder Mo looked so incredible

tried the vince gironda 10x10 routine with his egg and heavy cream, beef, and amino diet but made some modifications (added around 120 grams of carbs) for 4 weeks...

I stayed at the same weight those 4 weeks, got leaner but looked flat...
then 1 week after i put carbs back in my diet and lowered the calories (that heavy cream really packs on the cals) my weight shot up about 12 lbs and people noticed that my back thickness and upper chest came out like never before...

i think vince was on to something, and i really enjoyed all that volume in the gym :D... what a relief to lay off the heavy weights WITH excellect results!

also... i never felt bloated on the diet and was taking upward of 3200 cals (that's a lot of cals for a guy like me... more than 2600 and i get fat)...

so, i believe whatever makkawi wrote and believe that a lot of people are under estimating the power of high volume in "bringing in the definition"... i think we 'de-bunked' a lot of stuff in the past decade that weren't actually bunk...

just my opinion anyway

Yeah I think you're right bro, the way it reads it's every day. I have read everthing almost that there was to read about Mohamed and I don't recall him training legs daily precontest so maybe its a misprint, maybe not.

I wrote Mohamed once about diet and he was nice enough to write back. I'm sure that I still have the letter, it was hand written not typed. Anyway, he said that close to a show he ate nothing but chicken breasts and salad and then 10 days out (I think but maybe 7) he ate 40 liver tabs daily and nothing else. LOL That's insane. He said that if you wanted to get shredded then you had to suffer.

tried the vince gironda 10x10 routine with his egg and heavy cream, beef, and amino diet but made some modifications (added around 120 grams of carbs) for 4 weeks...

I stayed at the same weight those 4 weeks, got leaner but looked flat...
then 1 week after i put carbs back in my diet and lowered the calories (that heavy cream really packs on the cals) my weight shot up about 12 lbs and people noticed that my back thickness and upper chest came out like never before...

i think vince was on to something, and i really enjoyed all that volume in the gym :D... what a relief to lay off the heavy weights WITH excellect results!

also... i never felt bloated on the diet and was taking upward of 3200 cals (that's a lot of cals for a guy like me... more than 2600 and i get fat)...

so, i believe whatever makkawi wrote and believe that a lot of people are under estimating the power of high volume in "bringing in the definition"... i think we 'de-bunked' a lot of stuff in the past decade that weren't actually bunk...

just my opinion anyway

Vince also recommended that you eat a carb meal every third day so I think that you would have found that to be a very productive strategy with this diet.

So his diet was just protein, without any added fats at all?

Thats very interesting...

Does anyone have more info on Gironda type of diet...I know its a keto or pro/fat type of diet...with heavy whipping cream, whole egss, lots of red meat ...

So his diet was just protein, without any added fats at all?

Thats very interesting...

Does anyone have more info on Gironda type of diet...I know its a keto or pro/fat type of diet...with heavy whipping cream, whole egss, lots of red meat ...

Chris **broken link removed** has a good collection of articles and quotes by Vince.

**broken link removed** This is Ron Kosloff's site I believe who keeps Vince's spirit and principles alive.

He's got a few books you can likely find at a library which go into more detail but you've got the general idea. The cutting diet was heavy on steak eggs and liver tabs with a small carb up every 3-4 days.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
12cc
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity