Big A

IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
IFBB PROS
JUDGES
Registered
Newbies
First of all, I want to make it clear that I do not blame bodybuilding at all for any of the issues that I have. They are all purely my fault as I made various mistakes. I will never regret doing bodybuilding, because that is what created me.

I have retired from competition in 2001, 20 years ago. Since then, I never trained or dieted what I call correctly for any proper period of time. I basically fucked around with the training and diet as my genetics allowed it. I would easily hold 260 with abs. But since my bodybuilding "career" was behind, I never saw the point of doing things balls to the wall again.

About 18 months ago, both my daughters had dad/daughter dance at school. The theme was "Superheroes". So all the dads were going to wear costumes with plastic muscles and so on. But you guessed the mind set - "I'm going to do it for real!"
So for the first time since I retired, I trained, dieted and geared up properly. At the end of 8 weeks, the dance arrived and I was ready! I bought official DC authorised costume bits and I looked shit hot. See the Superman photos below. I had to wear jeans as in the Superman tights, the detail of my package was too obvious and I did not find it appropriate for a girls' only school, school dance.

The photos were taken an hour before the dance, just as my daughters decided that they were not going because a Superhero theme is "lame". WTF?????????? This was mu moment to shine!!!!! I couldn't believe it!
I just ended up sulking the rest of the evening at home, which was made even worse the day after when I found out that the best costume of the night was won by a dad wearing a fake plastic Batman outfit.

IMG_Superman.jpg IMG_Superman1.jpg

Last edited:
Not long after the above, I reverted back to my usual train and diet when i can be fucked routine.

Two months later, in April last year, I was sprinting. Mid flight, my left hamstring tore off the bone (HOW THE FUCK DOES THAT HAPPEN??).
I was going top speed and I collapsed on my right arm, shattering the two forearm bones, the entire elbow joint and I tore completely the membrane
that holds the forearm bones together and allows you to twist your arm.

I had 4 surgeries over the following 12 months, with a metal elbow joint, pins and braces reconstructing the bones and artificial cables and dead people tendons replacing the function of the membrane.
Good news is that I have 100% function of my arm now. This is unheard off and a paper is written about it.

Below are theatre photos from my second surgery as well as what the arm looked like 2 weeks before the fall and then 12 months later.

AC6.jpg AC7.jpg arm1.jpg

Last edited:
Which brings us to were we are now.
It was expected that I would get totally out of shape. This whole time I was not allowed in the gym apart from doing my rehab exercise for the arm.
I'm the kind of person that is all or nothing, and since I couldn't do it all, I did not do any cardio, diet went out the window, etc.

I finally started training a few months back and dieting seriously not long ago.

And this comes back around to issues due to bodybuilding.

I am back at a stage where my abs are clearly visible when flexed, but relaxed I look 9 months pregnant.
Did a dexa scan and I fell off my chair how fat I was (I was expecting it but it's really depressing when you see it in black and white).
I am carrying 28kg of fat tissue. The freak out factor was that 9kg is visceral fat!
OK, so tons of work to do.
I have a deceiving kind of body. I have veins all over my calves and arms and you can clearly see striations all over my legs and ass, and you can clearly see abs when flexed. But I have a lot of side tit fat, tons of back fat and a fat pubic pouch.

So if I wear shorts and a short sleeve top, as long as I remember to keep my gut tight, all you see are veiny and striated calves and arms. When the clothes come off though, it's a completely different story - your eyes are instantly drawn to all the fat parts and you don't see any of the good ones.

The pregnant looking gut had me concerned though. The doctors were freaking out at the difference between tensed and relaxed.
I had a gastroscopy to see if anything was going in there, as well as a colonoscopy. All came back perfect.
Next was organ ultrasounds to see if anything was enlarged - all normal.

But still things didn't sit right with me because relaxed, my gut deformed too much, like I was giving birth to a watermelon.
So I had a stomach ultrasound.
What was found was that I have diastasis recti with a 4.5 inch separation!!! That's basically unheard off. Pregnant women don't get them that much!
On top of that, the top fascia was split and only the bottom fascia is holding things together. So if that splits (hernia),theoretically, only my skin will hold my organs from popping out.

The diagram below shows what I am talking about.

The cause has been put down to having a weak core throughout my whole bodybuilding career and as such the forces put through where too strong for my abdominal wall to handle so it started tearing. All that was completely my fault - the only thing I hated more than cardio was ab and core work, so basically I never did it. And I am sure that always wearing a belt did not help matters either.
On top of that with my shitty diet the last two decades, I have gained a huge amount of visceral fat, which constantly puts pressure on the abs to expand.

Surgery is scheduled for 29th of July. The recovery sounds SHIT! For 2 to 4 weeks, I will have tubes coming out of me, draining fluid as I recover. And I will be wearing a full body compression suit with just a hole between my legs to piss and shit out of and for the tubes to drain in the catch containers.
That part I am not looking forward to.
I attached photos that I found on the net for what it's supposed to be like.

Diastasis Rectus Abdominis_ChoosePT_frame.jpg
image43-300x219.jpg
0101181732-300x169.jpg

Last edited:
Good luck with this. Sounds like a horrible surgery. I also have diastasis recti but the separation is only 2 inches.

I have diastasis as well. Don't know how wide tge separation is but it's large. Really see a ridge protruding when on my back and attempting to do a sit-up motion.
Do they put in some kind mesh in there? Is heavy lifting over after such a surgery?

Weird that you mention this cause I have the same when lying on back doin sit ups. Anyway good luck with the surgery sir. I try to keep my mind on my blessings (family) while going through surgical recovery. Hang in there.

Best of luck and hopefully a fast recovery.

Which brings us to were we are now.
It was expected that I would get totally out of shape. This whole time I was not allowed in the gym apart from doing my rehab exercise for the arm.
I'm the kind of person that is all or nothing, and since I couldn't do it all, I did not do any cardio, diet went out the window, etc.

I finally started training a few months back and dieting seriously not long ago.

And this comes back around to issues due to bodybuilding.

I am back at a stage where my abs are clearly visible when flexed, but relaxed I look 9 months pregnant.
Did a dexa scan and I fell off my chair how fat I was (I was expecting it but it's really depressing when you see it in black and white).
I am carrying 28kg of fat tissue. The freak out factor was that 9kg is visceral fat!
OK, so tons of work to do.
I have a deceiving kind of body. I have veins all over my calves and arms and you can clearly see striations all over my legs and ass, and you can clearly see abs when flexed. But I have a lot of side tit fat, tons of back fat and a fat pubic pouch.

So if I wear shorts and a short sleeve top, as long as I remember to keep my gut tight, all you see are veiny and striated calves and arms. When the clothes come off though, it's a completely different story - your eyes are instantly drawn to all the fat parts and you don't see any of the good ones.

The pregnant looking gut had me concerned though. The doctors were freaking out at the difference between tensed and relaxed.
I had a gastroscopy to see if anything was going in there, as well as a colonoscopy. All came back perfect.
Next was organ ultrasounds to see if anything was enlarged - all normal.

But still things didn't sit right with me because relaxed, my gut deformed too much, like I was giving birth to a watermelon.
So I had a stomach ultrasound.
What was found was that I have diastasis recti with a 4.5 inch separation!!! That's basically unheard off. Pregnant women don't get them that much!
On top of that, the top fascia was split and only the bottom fascia is holding things together. So if that splits (hernia),theoretically, only my skin will hold my organs from popping out.

The diagram below shows what I am talking about.

The cause has been put down to having a weak core throughout my whole bodybuilding career and as such the forces put through where too strong for my abdominal wall to handle so it started tearing. All that was completely my fault - the only thing I hated more than cardio was ab and core work, so basically I never did it. And I am sure that always wearing a belt did not help matters either.
On top of that with my shitty diet the last two decades, I have gained a huge amount of visceral fat, which constantly puts pressure on the abs to expand.

Surgery is scheduled for 29th of July. The recovery sounds SHIT! For 2 to 4 weeks, I will have tubes coming out of me, draining fluid as I recover. And I will be wearing a full body compression suit with just a hole between my legs to piss and shit out of and for the tubes to drain in the catch containers.
That part I am not looking forward to.
I attached photos that I found on the net for what it's supposed to be like.

View attachment 138299
View attachment 138300
View attachment 138301
Hawkmoon and I both have the same condition. Mine isn't 4 inches though. I've not had it looked at, but mine seems to be about 2 fingers wide. I've also got an umbilical hernia I blew the patch on. My diastasis recti developed right after my hernia surgery. I think Hawkmoon's did too. Some kind of connection there maybe. Did you have hernia surgery?

Praying protection and safety for your surgery and a speedy full recovery! Hang in there Big A!

Weird that you mention this cause I have the same when lying on back doin sit ups. Anyway good luck with the surgery sir. I try to keep my mind on my blessings (family) while going through surgical recovery. Hang in there.
That's it. A big ridge sticking up down the Linea alba .

Oh man, that setup looks just like when my wife had her tummy tuck surgery. Had to squeeze out those tubes a few times a day, I think to make sure the tubes didn't clog. And that compression garment was tough to get on and off. Good luck man. Will not be fun.

Had the same stomach surgery done.

I remember I wasn't on any pain killers in the hospital. When they were releasing me they brought the wheelchair to my bed. I went to move and screamed lol.

They gave me a percocet. First time I've ever had that. Remember standing up eventually and almost passing out.

Anyways take it easy for a few weeks because moving any body part involves use of the abs as I quickly found out!

And for the love of God take it easy when you get back to the gym (if you do) because I definitely felt something tear First time I flexed my abs too hard.

I think I developed something along those lines too after my hernia surgeries. Never had a distended gut before that. Not even when I was 265 lbs

I think I developed something along those lines too after my hernia surgeries. Never had a distended gut before that. Not even when I was 265 lbs
I wonder if anyone knows for sure if hernia surgery can cause it and why it happens. i never had a sign of it before mine, and prior to surgery my abs were always nice and tight. Was your hernia umibilical like mine? I had one of those and 2 inguinal.

Shitty situation but glad you're getting it taken care of.

I can't recall anyone on the board having this surgery and documenting it so I'm interested to see how it goes.

Big A or anyone who's had the surgery, is it repaired with mesh like a hernia?

Hawkmoon and I both have the same condition. Mine isn't 4 inches though. I've not had it looked at, but mine seems to be about 2 fingers wide. I've also got an umbilical hernia I blew the patch on. My diastasis recti developed right after my hernia surgery. I think Hawkmoon's did too. Some kind of connection there maybe. Did you have hernia surgery?
I never had surgery. It just crept up on me over time and when I finally noticed it, it was too late...

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Punisher13420
NapsGear