over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

MORE LIES / magazine industry

LATS

Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge
Staff member
Registered
okay, now i openly admit that the magazines lie. the one i write for, i would like to think, is the most honest. but, who knows. i bring this up because of a old weider mag i have circa 1972. it is a article about pete grymkowski and how he trained for the mr america title. (for you young ones who do not know who pete is, he was the owner of golds gym enterprise at one time and considered the heaviest bodybuilder in his era. he won the mr a at 250 pounds.) anyway, the article went on to discribe pete's chest routine for the contest. he stated that pete did 6 sets of bench press, 4 sets incline press, decline press 4 sets , cable crossover 4 sets , dips or machine press 4 sets. the rest of the article goes on to describe how much time he puts into the gym and the 6 day a week split blah , blah, blah,....
this is the exact routine he performed written by pete himself. he trained 3 days a week on monday , weds, friday. read it and weep. monday: nautilus pullover 1 set 6 reps, bench press 1 set 6 reps, seated db press 1 set 6 reps, wide grip chins 1 set 9 reps, incline barbell press 1 set 9 reps, delt rack chins 1 set 9 reps, front pulldowns 1 set 9 reps, 55 degree dumbell press 1 set 9 reps, alternate db laterals 1 set 12 reps, barbell rows 1 set 9 reps, 45 degree incline db press 1 set 9 reps, rear delt raise 1 set 12 reps, low cable row 1 set 9 reps, pec dek 1 set 9 reps , upright row 1 set 9 reps, one arm db row 1 set 9 reps, cable crossover 1 set 9 reps, dumbell laterals 1 set 12 reps.

weds : arms bicep curl 1 set 9 reps, tricep ext 1 set 9 reps (note; the exercises are performed in superset fashion for the arms. it was performed two to three times) barbell wrist curls 2 sets 9 reps.

friday: legs leg extensions 1 heavy set 9 reps, leg curl 1 set 9 reps, leg press 1 heavy set 6 reps. (leg exercises are performed in non stop pre exhaust fashion. a ten minute break is in between the cycles. 2 cycles were performed) standing calf raise 1 set 12 reps, donkey calf 1 set 12 reps.

that is it folks. remeber that when the mags are printing a champions workout......

:D

fuck all that so - called "champions programs" in Flex: if they really did what they say all year long, they wouldn't be able to train all year long...
my question is : why so many bullshit ? aren't they supposed to help their readers instead ?

mike1107 said:

my question is : why so many bullshit ? aren't they supposed to help their readers instead ?

Because magazines are there to sell supplements. A person follows all the advice in the magazines, gets zero gains and then the magazine tells him he's missing one piece - the supplements. So the people buy the supplements hoping that that is the missing piece of the puzle.

i think the article i posted about scientific and logical training touches on it but ive always believed its that they print all the conflicting and down right damn info about shit and then just when u rnot making gains boom u gotta throw in the weider muscle confusion priniciple and switch to another routine. i for the most part believe that the magazines do not want them to progress bc if they did why would they really need the mag anymore?

one thing you must realize is that the mags try to portray these guys as super human. the harder the routine the more super human they become. wouldnt ya hate to find out that your hero actually trained three days a week and did nothing but, eat fast food. (dont laugh, some do just that). have ya ever wondered how every champ goes to failure on every set but, increases the weight each time for the same rep range?? in other words ...bullshit. one king kamali article has him saying that hew goes to muscular failure on each set and only rests 45 seconds between sets. he uses the same weight each time and stays in the same rep range...try it to see if it is possible. i do not blame ka,ali since i am a big fan but, they seldom if rarely write their own article. :(

LATS said:
wouldnt ya hate to find out that your hero actually trained three days a week and did nothing but, eat fast food. (dont laugh, some do just that).

Zuc...

During his WBF years, Troy Zucculotto held a seminar at a local nutrition store. We got two hours of BB honesty. He said, 1) most people don't eat enough of the right things, 2) most people overtrain, and 3) most people overemphasize gear use too early. He was asked about his current calf training program as it had been POSTED in Muscle and Fantasy. He said, I don't do that, I do 2-3 sets that's it. The mag article had him doing 20 sets or so. He said, "I'm paid to use my image, I don't write the articles." And that was the LAST month I bought the trash mags.

SB

I really hate all the B.S. that these mags are publishing. The worst part is people who read it and think they know what they're talking about because they read some f#@king bullshit article in FLEX. AArrrgghhhh..................

patk

All magazines are full of shit, the pics are bad too, or put on some freaky, stupid and deformed person with synthol on the top of the mag, while we are training and taking our sport seriously.

BIGHEINZ:mad:

LATS....THANKS FOR POSTING THAT.

I CAN TELL YOU I WAS ONE OF THOSE YOUNG IDIOTS WHO READ AND REREAD EVERY ISSUE OF MUSCLE AND FITNESS AND THEN FLEX MAGAZINE. I DID THE ROUTINES IN THE BOOKS...RELIGIOUSLY. I TRAINED 6 DAYS A WEEK. INITIALLY I GAINED WEIGHT AND SOMEHOW MANAGED TO GET STRONGER. THE FUNNY THING IS MY GROWTH HAD REALLY SLOWED DOWN BY THE TIME I WAS A FRESHMAN IN COLLEGE. I TOLD THE STRENGTH COACH WHAT I WAS DOING [HE WAS A POWERLIFTER AND HAD A LEGIT 800LBS SQUAT] HE LOOKED AT MY ROUTINE AND ULTRA CLEAN EATING HABITS AND SAID.....'I AM SURPRISED YOU GAINED WEIGHT AT ALL".....HE HAD ME DROP THAT SIX DAYS A WEEK B.S AND I WENT CHEST SHOULDERS TRICEPS, MONDAY...LEGS BACK BI'S TUESDAY..WED, OFF.....THURSDAY [LIGHT CHEST SHOULDERS TRIS, FRIDAY LEGS, BACK BI'S....SAT. AND SUN DAY REST....HE HAD ME PICK ONE BASIC MOVEMENT PER MUSCLE GROUP AND DO 4 SETS OF IT.......IMMEDIATELY I WENT FROM 185- 212LBS IN BODYWEIGHT. I COULD NEVER UNDERSTAND WHY I COULDN'T DO AS MUCH EXERCISE AND GROW... LIKE ALL THE GUYS IN THE BOOKS COULD. LATER ON AFTER I BEGAN COMPETING I REALIZED THAT MANY OF THOSE 'ROUTINES' WERE PRECONTEST, BUT EVEN THE SO-CALLED MASS GAINING ROUTINES WERE MORE THAN I COULD HANDLE. I THINK OF ALL THE MANY WASTED HOURS I PUT IN.....COUNTER PRODUCTIVE HOURS AND IT REALLY PISSES ME OFF. I WISH I HADN'T BEEN SO NAIVE.

I was one of these magazine freaks that read all the crap in the mag when I was 14-17 I trained 6 days a week 2 hours a day alternating upper and lower body. I would also eat everything I could see usually downing about 10 raw eggs a right(what a waist) and those taste like snot! Well one day I read about over-training as I never thought it was possible but I figured that what must be my problem becuase there were guys in the gym that spent half the time there and got twice the gains. As soon as I cut back on the training I went from 140lbs to 195lbs in 4 months time, but I also took my first cycle at this time which was 400mgs of upjohn cyp a week for 10 weeks.

LATS said:
okay, now i openly admit that the magazines lie. the one i write for, i would like to think, is the most honest. but, who knows. i bring this up because of a old weider mag i have circa 1972. it is a article about pete grymkowski and how he trained for the mr america title. (for you young ones who do not know who pete is, he was the owner of golds gym enterprise at one time and considered the heaviest bodybuilder in his era. he won the mr a at 250 pounds.) anyway, the article went on to discribe pete's chest routine for the contest. he stated that pete did 6 sets of bench press, 4 sets incline press, decline press 4 sets , cable crossover 4 sets , dips or machine press 4 sets. the rest of the article goes on to describe how much time he puts into the gym and the 6 day a week split blah , blah, blah,....
this is the exact routine he performed written by pete himself. he trained 3 days a week on monday , weds, friday. read it and weep. monday: nautilus pullover 1 set 6 reps, bench press 1 set 6 reps, seated db press 1 set 6 reps, wide grip chins 1 set 9 reps, incline barbell press 1 set 9 reps, delt rack chins 1 set 9 reps, front pulldowns 1 set 9 reps, 55 degree dumbell press 1 set 9 reps, alternate db laterals 1 set 12 reps, barbell rows 1 set 9 reps, 45 degree incline db press 1 set 9 reps, rear delt raise 1 set 12 reps, low cable row 1 set 9 reps, pec dek 1 set 9 reps , upright row 1 set 9 reps, one arm db row 1 set 9 reps, cable crossover 1 set 9 reps, dumbell laterals 1 set 12 reps.

weds : arms bicep curl 1 set 9 reps, tricep ext 1 set 9 reps (note; the exercises are performed in superset fashion for the arms. it was performed two to three times) barbell wrist curls 2 sets 9 reps.

friday: legs leg extensions 1 heavy set 9 reps, leg curl 1 set 9 reps, leg press 1 heavy set 6 reps. (leg exercises are performed in non stop pre exhaust fashion. a ten minute break is in between the cycles. 2 cycles were performed) standing calf raise 1 set 12 reps, donkey calf 1 set 12 reps.

that is it folks. remeber that when the mags are printing a champions workout......

I too grew up believing that the pros wrote their own articles. I met Pete in Irondiquoit NY and Shane Demora is a friend of mine. They both said Weider used to put their names to articles they hadn't even read yet.

Shane is an expro for injury reasons.

**broken link removed**

I just looked at a Weider book and read how Shane had trouble with his bis and the routine he used to get them bigger. Shane said NOPE all bullshit.

Staff online

• K1
    Blue-Eyed Devil

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
astar
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws