over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

More reasons to abolish pro BB...

RicPhoenix

Featured Member
Featured Member
I recently watched the Kellogg's IronMan Triathlon Championships on National prime time TV. The event was held on Manly Beach in Sydney. First prize was 50,000 dollars. They did not state what the rewards were for other competitors. However it appeared that they would likely receive many endorsements and support for their efforts.

Later this summer the National Surf LifeSaving Championships will be on and the Telstra swimming championships where numerous cash awards will be given away to the contestants. For a swimming race such as the 100 meter freestyle the athletes win new cars and thousands of dollars and yes...the race is open to all including the numerous american olympic and university swimmers.

The Australian Pro Grand Prix was held here in Melbourne. It is a fun event and awesome physiques are on display. However I noticed that the total prize money is only 20,000 and that is the TOTAL ....which means first prize is more like 10,000. I think you can earn that bowling or playing beach volley ball in a local or state level competition.

Now we have the rumors about restructure within the IFBB. With those rumors come questions, doubts and lack of clarity about where these various organisations are going and what they are seeking to achieve.

This brought to mind some questions:

Why does pro BB exist? It appears to serve no purpose that amateur BB does not already serve. Amateur BB entertains, produces awesome physiques ....all that

There was a time when there was no pro BB and BB survived just fine and in fact was well respected.

Would BB be more respected or draw more interest if people understood that it is done for the love of weight training? (presently, one of the main criticisms you hear people say is...there is NO money in it blah blah blah....but if its all amateur then we already know there is no money, it will be the same as amateur wrestling, olympic weightlifting, swimming or badminton)

I have no data...but I would bet a top amateur BB can be just as popular and earn just as much as most pro BB if they present themselves properly and have the proper PR agency. In fact have you noticed the recent trend in many of the muscle mags where they use amateur BB to feature their products? The average consumer cant tell the difference...all they know is that they like a certain look or style of the advertisers photography.

Does pro BB teach us anything about supplementation, AAS, training or mental preparation that amateur does not? I doubt it...because the people who are pros now...were amateurs first and experimented then too.

Why continue holding this image out to amateur BB that they can make a living being a pro? When the reality is that most pros need to work other jobs...which means they really are not pro?

Can you think of anything that pro BB provides that amateur competition does not?

What do you think...abolish pro BB ?

Pro and amature BB is a very small subculture I think to bring more money to the contest you have to have a bigger public audience, The only thing that is going to do is bring more critisim to our sport. But as far as getting rid of he entire pofessional circut? I don't like that idea one bit!! There may not be enough money but people still compete in it. Though it maybe small the sport still continues to grow and the the shows get bigger but slowly! So why get rid of it?? Maybe phil could give us some more insite as he has the most first hand knowlegde at an elite level of the sport and could give us some better insite??

The issue is not the fans, or trying to bring larger crowds of people to the shows, because there are millions of fans and the shows are usually packed. The athletes get paid so little because the ones running the IFBB know they can get away with paying them bottom dollar. What else are the bodybuilders going to do, go somewhere else. NO, because there is no where else to go. If there is no competition for the promoters then the money will stay the same. People are greedy and it will always be that way. So unless another federation comes along for get about prize money going up.

Also I wish people would stop saying "Why aren't the contests on tv" because they are boring as HELL. Try going to a Ironman and having a good time. It is hard because the line up is always huge but the majority of the competitors are no name bodybuilders from other countries that we have never heard of. The entire evening show sucks, because out of 40 guys there might be 4-5 that people really want to see.

Last edited:
WTF LOL

RICK PHOENIX? WROTE
Why continue holding this image out to amateur BB that they can make a living being a pro? When the reality is that most pros need to work other jobs...which means they really are not pro?

WTF do you meen there really not PROS of course they are , Just because there not making a million dollars sitting on there asses in a Dugout or Bullpin doesnt meen there not the PROS of our sport , there the cream of the crop man and they THEY WORKED THERE FUCKING ASSES OFF TO GET THERE, Its a goal a dream its not all about a paycheck and I bet if you asked 100% of all top PROS theyd say they were in it for their own personal goals not a DOLLAR.

RICK YOU ALSO WROTE
In fact have you noticed the recent trend in many of the muscle mags where they use amateur BB to feature their products? The average consumer cant tell the difference...all they know is that they like a certain look or style of the advertisers photography

WHY do you think theres amateur BBs in magazines and sponsered by certain companys?? Ill tell you why cause Im one of them ,
1st of all we get paid SHIT.
2nd we look marketable meaning decent looking.
3rd because people cant relate to a 300lb man ripped to all hell they can relate to a lean and full 220-245 or even less .

Im a little confused by your post and think its people like you who think BB is about to come to an end that give it a bad name , who cares about the money its about personal goals and fulfillment they all know theres no money in it,,,,,so i ask you why do women compete as BBs ??? the same reason we do because they have love for the sport.

Last edited:
I hope that what was posted caused us to think of other options with respect to our bodybuilding goals and competition plans.

What if there were no pro bodybuilding?

What if it was ALL amateur and there were just various levels or contests within the amateur ranks? Perhaps you had to qualify to do certain top Amateur contests (just as you do now for nationals)? Perhaps some contests would still have height and weight catagories (to prevent the Ruhls of the world going up against the Darrem Charles's of the world...but still having an overall winner catagory?)

Would bodybuilding then be looked upon differently by businesses, magazines and public? Would they be more interested in 'sponsoring' your travel, food and supplement costs?

Are there other options for organising bodybuilding?

whats up with the huge restructuring of bodybuilding craze goin on.....This so called new federation is the first step to bodybuilders getting paid more....I am not exactly sure what it is all about yet but all i know is that more federations means more demand for money......If federations start to sign ceratin bodybuilders then other federations will have to compete financially as well.....highest bidder gets the bodybuilder they want.....Thats how fat ass baseball players get paid so high....I have a feeling that all these changes coming up in pro bodybuilding is going to be good ones.....the sport needs a facelift.....ever notice that when a shitty pro team has been wearin the same ol skool uniforms and they get some new ones it brings them more attention and usually within a few years they are on top....stupid comparison but i think it makes sense

reconstruction huh? thats what my buddy has been hearing about IFSA-PRO STRONNGMAN ORG. they have talked about it for years too. same thing as BB. they dont get paid dick unless you are at the top of the sport. you do it b/c you love to do it not for making money although that is just an extra if you are lucky enough to get to the top like ronnie, jay, dexter, cormier, pudzianowski, kazmaier. prize money for strongman is even more pathetic than BB.

I read this somehwere else too.

WEll since 95% of us will never step onto a professional stage, I feel that we will never have the feelings that one would have beating the best in the world. This is a sport where your own actions determine your outcome...unlike team sports, I think there is more gratification to beat someone one on one like wrestling...you beat your competition either by your own actions.

I know there are about 40% of the people on here that have competed in a nonprofessional show and they always have positive things to say about it...they know it was their hard work and determination that got them their placing...yeah they may not receive the few thousands of dollars like some of the pros, but they do feel a sense of accomplishment. Like PHIL said make it a hobby, and if you can see yourself going some where with then you are a rare breed.

I have heard many times that the supplement companys need to help to increase the prize moneys offered to ALL contestants. I hope the new guy that too WAYNE'S place can see that and have bigger and better sponors. Live shows on TV are very boring, but I have to say being there is pretty cool...like NASCAR not so good on TV, but to be there is exciting.

I just hope somethings change to help our lifestyle out. I think we are one of the most expensive sports out there.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
HughJass
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131