over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Most bang for your buck fish oils?

NY Muscle

FOUNDING Member / Featured Member / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
So I have been taking fish oils and lots of them for ages. Trying to actually run numbers to see what is actually the most cost effective brand. I have Carlson's 32oz which is probably the most cost effective as its cheaper gm pre gm than the pills. But when you actually do the math of how much EPA and DHA it has (which is all that matters) it is not longer the most cost effective.

CARLSONS = 1 tsp = 100 servings:

OMEGA-3 FATTY ACIDS 1600 Mg N/A* (don't know why it says this the math I use is 1300mg - 800+500)
EPA(Eicosapentaenoic Acid) 800 Mg N/A*
DHA(DOCOSAHEXAENOIC ACID) 500 Mg

130gms of Omega 3 = $32.95 = 25.3 cents per gram

From my quick research this is what I find to be the best bang for your buck (if you prefer pills like I do:

NutriGold triple Strength omega 3 fish oil

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Nutrigold-Strength-Fish-Oil-Supplement/dp/B004O2I9JO/ref=zg_bs_10728501_3"]Amazon.com: Nutrigold Triple Strength Omega-3 Gold Fish Oil Supplement, 1250 mg, 180 Softgels: Health & Personal Care@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51Ca6-NwptL.@@AMEPARAM@@51Ca6-NwptL[/ame]

NutriGold triple Strength omega 3 fish oil, $46.78

1 cap =

- Total Omega-3s : 1,060 mg
- EPA : 750 mg
- DHA : 250 mg
- Other Omega-3s : 60 mg

180 caps x 1,060mg = 190.8gms = 24.5 cents per gram of Omega 3.

Another one:

Dr Tobias - Omega 3 Fish Oil Pills (180 Counts) - Triple Strength Fish Oil Supplement

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Omega-Fish-Pills-Counts-Health-Supporting/dp/B00CAZAU62/ref=zg_bs_10728501_1"]Amazon.com: Omega 3 Fish Oil Pills (180 Counts) - Triple Strength Fish Oil Supplement (1,400mg Omega 3 Fatty Acids: 600mg DHA + 800 mg EPA per Serving) - Burpless Capsules with Enteric Coating And Pharmaceutical Grade Essential Fatty Acids - Molecularly Distilled Fish Oil Supplements Including Best Health Bonus (Online Videos With Health-Supporting Exercises): Health & Personal Care@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51YBXZQck-L.@@AMEPARAM@@51YBXZQck-L[/ame]

180 capsules (90 servings).
Each 2 PILLS gives you 2000 mg fish oil with
1400mg Omega 3 (800mg EPA, 600mg DHA)

180 x 700mg = 126 grams of Omega 3 = $28.47 = 22.5 cents per gram

Now this "IS" cheaper but from my research the EPA may be a little more important and Nutrigold has 750mg per cap vs Dr Tobias 400mg per cap so I am going to lean towards Nutrigold as most cost effective.

I used to buy Truenutrition fish oil 1000 caps but they don't list the EPA/DHA content. and its pretty inexpensive. I only found a forum post from 2012 that mentions it has 1000mg caps - EPA = 18% (180mg) and DHA 12% (120mg).

TN: 1000caps = 300gms of Omega 3 at $35 = 11.6 cents per gram. So yeah this is the most cost effective, just have to take like 8-10 per dose.

IF what I found is true that each pill - EPA = 18% (180mg) and DHA 12% (120mg). Then TN has the most bang for your buck. The only caveat is that It does not have any vitamin E added to it - does this even matter?

I didnt know Vit E was in fish oils. TN's brand is "molecularly distilled". As a rule of thumb, all purified and molecularly distilled oils are ethyl esters. This means you have to take 1.5 times as much of the ethyl ester oils to get the same dose of DHA that you’d get from the natural triglyceride oils. This is supposed to be good as it removes heavy metals and toxins but I keep reading a lot of things that say this is not the ideal fish oil to buy. Who knows maybe all the brands above and that I use are molecularly distilled. ( actually that IS the case so its a moot point).

So in conclusion I guess the TN brand is bet bang for your buck as long as you don't mind taking like 15-20 caps a day? I am open to any other opinions but the numbers need to add up to make sense to recommend one vs another brand.

Very interesting. I am anxious to see what others say.

I like Carlson's, tried, tested and always true.

If money was not an option, the one I would potentially go with would be Nordic fish oil.

Chip

I used to buy Truenutrition fish oil 1000 caps but they don't list the EPA/DHA content. and its pretty inexpensive. I only found a forum post from 2012 that mentions it has 1000mg caps - EPA = 18% (180mg) and DHA 12% (120mg).

TN: 1000caps = 300gms of Omega 3 at $35 = 11.6 cents per gram. So yeah this is the most cost effective, just have to take like 8-10 per dose.

IF what I found is true that each pill - EPA = 18% (180mg) and DHA 12% (120mg). Then TN has the most bang for your buck.

Great post NY. Just to confirm, TN's product description actually lists the above information.....

True Nutrition's fish oil capsules each contain 180mg of EPA and 120mg of DHA in a 1000mg softgel

Have you tried puritans pride?

Have you tried puritans pride?

Nice price. 18.4 cents per gram but still low on the % of EPA compared to Nutrigold which seems to blow away the rest with regards to EPA amount.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for doing the research NY.

I use the NOW brand of omega 3. 250 servings or 500 softgels is $16.90
2 grams per serving
EPA - 360mg
DHA - 240 mg

It's pretty cheap per serving as you can see although it may not have the best ratio of EPA and DHA.

But I usually take 3-4 soft gels three times a day.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Ive been using NutriGold triple Strength omega 3 fish oil
for quite a while. Very cost effective & a great product.

Costco Kirkland brand fish oil gel tabs are what I've always used and I have compared them with about ten others and they have the most active ingredients for the cost by far

Sent from my iPhone using tap stalk

[B said:
it has 1000mg caps - EPA = 18% (180mg) and DHA 12% (120mg).
[/[/B]QUOTE]

Those are the most prevalent fish oil capsules in circulation. If I remember correctly there are two maybe three manufacturers and I know one is in Canada. All these American brands get them from them and are the same thing. I think Dante sells them in 1000 capsule quantities.

Edit: yes those are the ones he sells True Nutrition | Fish Oil Complex 1000mg Softgels (1000 Softgels)

Last edited:
Yes seems TN brand is the best bang for your buck. Just have to take a lot of pills but I'm used to that lol

No Nutrigold has the highest.

I use the Vitamin Shoppe Omega-3 Fish Oil. It's got 1050mg omega-3 fatty acids, consisting of 680mg EPA and 260mg DHA per serving.

Can get it off amazon for $10 for 60 soft-gels (one soft-gel equals one serving).

I think its been proven that Fish Oil is over-rated.... and hyped... I believe 2-3g EPA/DHA is all one would need anyways.

I get mine prescribed LEVAZA and $3 month. Try get your doc prescribed them.

Last edited:
I use Vitamin Shoppe liquid fish oil. Barleans makes all of Vitamin Shoppes fish oil supps and every April and September they do Buy 1 get 50% Off all VS brand supplements. I never have to buy anything else.....especially not at retail.

I have never seen anyone on pro muscle talk about this brand. It's a legit good brand been since 1972 so must be doing something good.

I have taken all sorts of fish oil in 16 years in the game on and off from cheapest crap in my younger years full of mercury lol to expensive ones like Carlson's and Nordic naturals . now we get anal rape to buy these two brands from USA . Also I herb has a strict guidelines for us in Europe. EU , UK customs for some stupid reasons seize fish oil coming from USA so can't order direct from USA . so its scary and I don't risk ordering from USA ( whey and fish oils are a no no)

For some reason natures answer is the cheapest one and the best one I can find in the UK. Other two cost a good 15-20 pounds more. Nordic naturals tiny 8 oz bottle is same cost as much as I pay for 500 ml of this !!!! Its a total joke.

Things I like about this ....

1 it has the small deep sea sardines ,mackerel , anchovies fish oil in them so same profile as Carlson's or Nordic naturals really.

2 it has very good taste. I find liquid is always cheaper then gel caps. So taste doesn't bother me and even my wife who is vegetarian can neck this down so win win. 1 bottle cost me 15-18 pounds and it last 1 month for both of us . win win

3) it also has some absorption stuff in it to make it absorb better .

What do you think of this one NY mate or anyone else if you have used it ? this had crazy good reviews on I herb and Amazon and few other sites . agree Carlson's and Nordic naturals gets much higher reviews then this but I don't see the reason to pay more ( at least for us here in the UK). If Americans can get Carlson's or Nordic naturals at the same price then I would say go for those 2 .

Last edited:

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Atomgear
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner