advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Most ridiculous thing you've seen/heard at the gym?

liftin4life

Registered
Okay...I know this has been done before, but I've been inspired by OUCH's Planet Fatness post and how horrible his experience was. Plus...people always have some outlandish stories....

What's the craziest or most ridiculous thing you've witnessed at your gym?

This isn't a great one...but what gets me is the guys that are 250ish and benching 85's and saying "grrr argggggghhh grrrr" grunting while their 2 buddies spot them. Hahaha...ridiculous.

2 guys in my gym:
Guy A lifts all the time
Guy B spots all the time (also smaller than guy A)
CAPS = SCREAMING

Scenario:
Guy A is doing flat dumbell flyes

RepONE:
GuyA: grrrrrrrrr...arrrrrrrr...hufffff....pufffffff
GuyB: YOU CAN DO IT, YEA, GET IT UP, GET IT UP
Rep2:
GuyA: grrrrrrrrr...arrrrrrrr...hufffff....pufffffff
GuyB: YEA....5 MORE TO GO...YOU CAN DO IT

*Fast forward 4 reps

Rep7:
GuyA: grrrrrrr...arrrrrrrr...huffffff....puffffff
GuyB: YEA, YOU GOT IT, LITTLE BIT MORE
*Rep complete
GuyA throws dumbells as hard as f#$kin possible onto the ground.
GuyB: Whats next
GuyA: You haven't done any sets yet
GuyB: Oh, ok...*avoids doing any sets*

-They do this for every single lift. Honestly, you guys bitch about the Planet Fitness stuff and I think their rules are rediculous too, but I almost wish my gym would implement those type of rules. If I'm in the middle of a lift, I start laughing when these guys do their sets, and I can't workout. No one needs someone screaming while they are spotting them for every single rep, OR AT ALL for that matter. I don't mind people grunting, or encouragement at a decent level from spotters, but me and half the gym can't workout with these guys around b/c were all trying to keep from laughing.

Probably not the craziest thing, but its the most recent.

Last edited:
OK. this is a true story that I witnessed years ago at a hard core gym I went to. To this day, I still can't believe this guy's stupidity or even if it was a bizarre joke. OK, you remember those muscle stimulators that use the pads you attach to your body and they make your muscles twitch and spasm when the electric current hits? Well, one evening, this dude brings in a good 'ol auto battery charger to the gym! Everyone is… what the fuck? Pretty soon he attaches one clip under each arm on his lats, plugs it in and tells his training partner, "OK, when I tell you to turn it on, turn it on". He is standing there and starts a set of dumbell curls, half way into the set he tells his partner to turn it on. Then he starts screaming turn it off! Turn it off! as he drops his dumbells and is frantically grabbing and pulling the clips off. You could have heard a pin drop in that gym as everyone was just standing there and staring. My guess is it burned like hell instead of giving the effect he expected. The dumbass immediately packed his shit and left!

the stupidiest thing that I've seen, is people doing squats while standing on those balls. I just can't get over how dangerous this is and why these people cannot see this? i cringe every time i see someone on that ball and have to walk away because I don't want to see the outcome of the injury that I KNOW, is going to happen. I've complained on here before about that lol

one of the funniest, me and my brother just started cracking up, this guy was sitting on a bench doing curls, and then he throws the weight on the ground and yells "I"M OUT" and he gets up and walks off... we just looked at each other like wtf was that about? lol

there's a lot of funny things I've seen at the gym, just my mind is blank right now lol

there is a guy at my gym who trains soley on the balls justwannebehuge mentions.

the last time i saw him he had invented a new exercise-

he gets in the smith machine and with the assistance of his gf, and i dunno how he does it cause i missed this part, he raises the bar up as high as it will go in the smith and hangs his feet over it so that he is basically upside down with his elbows on the ball.

he then procedes to attempt handstands on top of the ball while in this position- i shit you not.

IF his hands god forbid were to slip off the ball, he would at the least prolly break his collar bone and maybe even his neck.

some guys just dont get it.

BFU

The worst thing I have ever seen was this old guy with frayed Daisy Duke denim shorts that didn't wear underwear. You'd be doing lateral raises in the mirror and he'd lie down on a bench to do lying DB press and you'd have to leave the room to go puke after getting a view in the mirror.

Koevoet said:
The worst thing I have ever seen was this old guy with frayed Daisy Duke denim shorts that didn't wear underwear. You'd be doing lateral raises in the mirror and he'd lie down on a bench to do lying DB press and you'd have to leave the room to go puke after getting a view in the mirror.

Koevoet? You trying to give boom some competition with avatars?

Very nice....:D

littlemack said:
Koevoet? You trying to give boom some competition with avatars?

Very nice....:D
Nah, just trying to make this world a better place, one fine ass at a time.

Well there are several but due to my sadistic nature I get really amused by an early 20'er who WANTS IT and I mean who wants to be REALLY BIG !

One year ago he was benching one plate a side, up to this day he's still benching one plate a side BUT I recently heard him say to the gym owner who spots him that 'its going easier and easier every time'

He will be big, some day .....hahaha

Moen said:
Well there are several but due to my sadistic nature I get really amused by an early 20'er who WANTS IT and I mean who wants to be REALLY BIG !

One year ago he was benching one plate a side, up to this day he's still benching one plate a side BUT I recently heard him say to the gym owner who spots him that 'its going easier and easier every time'

He will be big, some day .....hahaha

Hahahaha, easier every time?!? That's insane. You gotta be joking!

thebrick said:
OK. this is a true story that I witnessed years ago at a hard core gym I went to. To this day, I still can't believe this guy's stupidity or even if it was a bizarre joke. OK, you remember those muscle stimulators that use the pads you attach to your body and they make your muscles twitch and spasm when the electric current hits? Well, one evening, this dude brings in a good 'ol auto battery charger to the gym! Everyone is… what the fuck? Pretty soon he attaches one clip under each arm on his lats, plugs it in and tells his training partner, "OK, when I tell you to turn it on, turn it on". He is standing there and starts a set of dumbell curls, half way into the set he tells his partner to turn it on. Then he starts screaming turn it off! Turn it off! as he drops his dumbells and is frantically grabbing and pulling the clips off. You could have heard a pin drop in that gym as everyone was just standing there and staring. My guess is it burned like hell instead of giving the effect he expected. The dumbass immediately packed his shit and left!
hahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahaha what a jack ass

ah that damn ball is funny.i cant wait to see someone fly off it while trying to squat.......i WILL laugh at that person but i have even seen guys doing dumbell incline presses with the 110's while lying on the damn thing.i just cringe and look the other away.the movement is so unstable they are just asking for an injury.also i have seen the one arm incline dumbbell presses.this is almost as funny......there was this one trainer in my gym and for no other purpose then to be different,started this kind of crap and people think it is ok cause he was a trainer......people are not too smart when it comes to lifting weights.i know we think its common sense but i have seen too many people that just dont get it.

bgmke7 said:
ah that damn ball is funny.i cant wait to see someone fly off it while trying to squat.......i WILL laugh at that person but i have even seen guys doing dumbell incline presses with the 110's while lying on the damn thing.i just cringe and look the other away.the movement is so unstable they are just asking for an injury.also i have seen the one arm incline dumbbell presses.this is almost as funny......there was this one trainer in my gym and for no other purpose then to be different,started this kind of crap and people think it is ok cause he was a trainer......people are not too smart when it comes to lifting weights.i know we think its common sense but i have seen too many people that just dont get it.

People actually do squats on one of those balls? That's frightening! They're gonna kill themselves doing that shit.
I just stick with the old basics. No need to reinvent the wheel!

long sets make muscle longer
short sets makes muscles shorter

sad but true

The BOSU ball training is by far the funniest.....however being a Former PT I can tell you the following.

I lot of corporate Gyms MAKE there trainers do stuff like that for clients at first. I think the idea is to make them "think" they are working harder than they actually are.

I trained for a very well known club in the Knoxville area and they actually required you do some of these dumb things the first couple of sessions.

Its a very sad situation.......

liftin4life said:
Hahahaha, easier every time?!? That's insane. You gotta be joking!

Most definately not, thats the real sad thing about his situation :D

the other day at my gym i seen a guy miss 325 on the bench and he still went for365 missed that to,:) must have been a bad day:)

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
locoslave
NapsGear