over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Mountaindog Deadlifts w/ Chains - great movement for developing thickness

Shelby

IFBB PRO / Double Featured Member/Kilo Klub
IFBB PROS
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Speed deadlifts - last set - 315 plus 8 chains (about 455 at the top) - YouTube

I used to do these back when I was powerlifting, and John Meadows has been having me do them every so often now in my training plan. They are awesome for developing top end strength in the deadlift and overloading the entire back.

At the bottom of the lift (off the floor) the bar is just whatever your plate weight is, but as you stand up and near lockout, the chains load along with it so the top weight is much heavier.

We did some explosive / speed work today, so just 315 on the bar, but added a pair of chains (35#) per side til we got to 4 chains per side so the top end weight was about 455#. We use special collars to keep the chains away from the plates.

Here was the full workout:
meadows rows - worked up to a heavy set of 8 and did 4 sets of 8 with it

speed deadlifts w/ chains
warmups then
315 + 1 pair chains x 5
315 + 2 pairs chains x 5
315 + 3 pairs chains x 5
315 + 4 pairs chains x 5 (about 455 at the top)

dumbbell pullovers - 4 sets of 12

barbell shrugs - 3 sets of 10 with 2 second contractions

lying leg curls - 6 sets of 10

adductor machine - 4 sets of 10

squats - sets of 6 done explosively, working up in weight, stopped at 315

side squats (adductor movement) - 4 sets of 8 ea. side

Looks like a great exercise for the back. I always wonder about the adductor exercise, this is the one where you press inwards closing your knees together, right? Why is it you don't do abductors where you press the knees outwards? Will they not give some thickness to the outer quads?

Umm, that looks really hard. No thank you. I have those same collars from Elitefitness. They work great with bands as well and the chains from tractor supply. I have a platform and half rack in my basement for when I do the really silly stuff, but my Gym doesn't mind me bringing in chains and bands. I put them in my rolling luggage bag for transport.

Well, once I did.

Shelby, your videos are always creative and inspiring. Always a different twist, like your no lock out squats. Changed how I do them.

^^^^ And that's why your name is in RED Shelby!!!

Looks like a great exercise for the back. I always wonder about the adductor exercise, this is the one where you press inwards closing your knees together, right? Why is it you don't do abductors where you press the knees outwards? Will they not give some thickness to the outer quads?

I just do what John has listed for me for the day. I think that machine will work your hip muscles much more than quads though. Not really a muscle group I want to spend a lot of time developing. It can be helpful for guys that have trouble with their knees coming in during squats though.

I managed to get a pair of 40lb chains and I love them

I prefer chains to bands as I find the tension a bit jerky with bands but chains are a clean gradual increase

A quick tip for anyone wanting chains but find powerlifting ones pricey

Go onto eBay or second hand sites and look for marine or lifting chains that truckers use to Crane items like refuse skips onto the back

They keep them for so long but if they get any damage they get rid....very cheap. Ideal for powerlifting work

Great vid shelby and congrats on your pro status

I just do what John has listed for me for the day. I think that machine will work your hip muscles much more than quads though. Not really a muscle group I want to spend a lot of time developing. It can be helpful for guys that have trouble with their knees coming in during squats though.

Thanks for the answer and what a great tip as I do have problems with my knees coming in during squats.

Awesome stuff from our new ifbb pro. Just goes to show you can row and row and row but every now and then you gotta pull

Thanks for the answer and what a great tip as I do have problems with my knees coming in during squats.

Try doing "holds" on that machine then, where you spread your knees and hold the outer position for a 5-10 count. Do a few sets like that every time before you squat.
You can also do this with a mini-band doubled around your lower quads, sitting on a below parallel box.

Also, when you squat, think of spreading the floor with your knees / feet.

Try doing "holds" on that machine then, where you spread your knees and hold the outer position for a 5-10 count. Do a few sets like that every time before you squat.
You can also do this with a mini-band doubled around your lower quads, sitting on a below parallel box.

Spoken like a true ex-PL

SHELBY you are LIFTING too HEAVY

Dont you know that YOU ONLY grow in the 8-12 REP range?

I see this ALL the TIME. LUCKILY I am here to TELL YOU that if you want A GOLDEN AGE physique like mine, all you HAVE TO DO is STOP lifting so HEAVY and Focus on your FORM... and cut BACK to 2-3 MEALS per DAY

Awesome video bro.

meadows rows - worked up to a heavy set of 8 and did 4 sets of 8 with it

speed deadlifts w/ chains
warmups then
315 + 1 pair chains x 5
315 + 2 pairs chains x 5
315 + 3 pairs chains x 5
315 + 4 pairs chains x 5 (about 455 at the top)

dumbbell pullovers - 4 sets of 12

barbell shrugs - 3 sets of 10 with 2 second contractions

lying leg curls - 6 sets of 10

adductor machine - 4 sets of 10

squats - sets of 6 done explosively, working up in weight, stopped at 315

side squats (adductor movement) - 4 sets of 8 ea. side

Hey Shelby, are the sets bolded above all straight sets with the same weight? So in reality only the last 2 of say 4 sets are really close to failure?

The Adductor, how do you perform your reps? Do you hold and squeeze each rep? I been tossing them into my 2nd leg workout for the week and really like it before the heavier exercises.

Hey Shelby, are the sets bolded above all straight sets with the same weight? So in reality only the last 2 of say 4 sets are really close to failure?

Same weight, but every set is pretty hard. Not exactly "failure" though.

The Adductor, how do you perform your reps? Do you hold and squeeze each rep? I been tossing them into my 2nd leg workout for the week and really like it before the heavier exercises.

Yah we get a good stretch on every rep, then hold the squeeze for a second or so. On the machine, I've noticed that keeping my toes up helps keep the tension on the adductors (rather than teardrops coming into play).

Somewhat off-topic, but have you tried either Monster Strap DL's (Spud) or Chuck V.'s DL + SSB ?

Thoughts on either / bother?

THanks Shelby.

Same weight, but every set is pretty hard. Not exactly "failure" though.

OK, so interesting. I remember when I first started lifting I was only doing straight sets, then I learned about how "all pros ramp to a top set" and thought about how dumb I was when starting off. And now when I try mountaindog training I'll be going back to straight sets lol. It does seem to be a slower way to build strength but I guess that can be different than hypertrophy (although I'm still a strong believer in them going hand in hand).

As for intensity, yea I suppose each would still be fairly hard but if I was doing say 4x10 with the same weight and the last set was to absolute failure then the 3rd set would probably have 1-2 reps in the tank, 2nd probably would have had 2-3 in the tank, and 1st probably 3-4 so only the last 2 were really hard.

Is this to activate more outter quad like 'cupping' does on stage?

What do you feel you get from pullovers other movements can't provide?

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Atomgear
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws