over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Movements you Swore you'd never try

biglizard225

Featured Member / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Verified Customer
When I first started out lifting I power-lifted and did a few accessory moves for arms and what not. I looked at powerlifers as these brute savages who squated until there nose bled and ate tons of junk food to be huge.

Well as the years have progressed and I transitioned to bodybuilding I still stuck to basic barbell movements and got decently thick. Up until the age 24 I refused to do certain excercises because they just looked easy or pussy or whatever you wanna call it and I just figured there's no way those could work because they don't look like they could make me wanna throw up after doing them.

That being said about 2 years ago I started doing more cable and machine movements, stricter form, lighter weight really feeling the muscle contract and let me tell you I've never ever gotten the look my body has now from just free weight movements. Don't get me wrong I still do my free weight movements but I really feel like I've gotten a lot of quality hypertrophy from these "easier movements"

Here's a little list of movements I incorporate now that I wouldn't before. I know some of you may have been in my shoes what's some of yours??

•wide grip pull downs (facing opposite direction, no thigh support) usually done rest pause style or fst-7 style

•quad extension (hated these because for some reason I thought they just didn't work) I've always been a squatter and a leg presser

•rope attachment low cable pulley rows

•cable bicep curls (pretty much any kind)

•adductor machine

•stack loaded cable leg press

•cable crossover tricep extensions

Also I like a lot Dr. Stevensons and Jon Meadows stuff, they have lots of ideas and stay thinking outside the box. Keeps it interesting

Behind the neck smith military.

I used to think I wasn't built for it, but it was more of a flexibility issue. Proper form, and control is key. I really like the exercise.

I used to think I wasn't built for it, but it was more of a flexibility issue. Proper form, and control is key. I really like the exercise.

I love these I alternate them every other shoulder workout with barbell military's to the front.

Have you tried free weight behind the neck barbell? If you have a spotter they work extremely well

^I like John Meadows' cage press movement

but I do it in a seated fashion :headbang:

good thread

Personally, I think, for the most part (think squats for instance) exercising on ‘machines’ have very little
to do with how you look. That, as you know, is determined my muscle insertions, joint size, bla, bla, bla.
And ultimately, the acid test, is diet. Most people would look far far better lighter than they are now.
True story. But I am getting myself off track . . . on to your exercises

•wide grip pull downs (facing opposite direction, no thigh support) usually done rest pause style or fst-7 style
Tried them. I don’t think that wide makes you wide.

•quad extension (hated these because for some reason I thought they just didn't work) I've always been a squatter and a leg presser
This exercise has saved far more knees than it has destroyed. I like it. Knew a guy years and years ago who
did nothing but leg ext. for his quads and they were utterly ginormous. Freakish. Did tons and tons of sets.

Tried it. Can’t use enough weight for it to be of value.

Just did them this morning. Did them very strict, think Roman Fritz who I think one could do worse than by
emulating his training ‘style’.

•adductor machine
That and the abductor. Really good for me before squats. Makes squats far more comfortable.

Depends on the machine. Think ergonomics. Not all machines are created equal. One squat / leg press
machine I use (don’t remember the mfgr.) must have been built with me in mind. Just perfect. Too bad
it has been relegated to gathering dust in the yoga room which is always busy so I don’t use it as often
as I like. It is the only machine in my entire life that I have been able to utilize the entire weight stack on.
Maybe that is why . . . think frequency. Or should I say infrequency. May be on to something here . . .

Never tried it. No opinion.

Just off the top of my head . . . exercises I do, but don’t see others doing . . .

Standing bb press behind the next. Use Dante’s ‘broom stick’ protocol for shoulder flexibility. Saved my shoulders.

Lying reverse grip triceps extensions. This will save your elbows and blow out your tri’s. Thank you prehensile thumbs.

Bent over rows using a trap bar. Try it you will like it. Saved my low back.

Very high rep (50- 100) smith machine, standing, flat footed, calf raises. Thank you Phil Hernon.

Weighted dips and chins. Nothing, in my opinion, beats moving one’s body through space. Look at gymnasts.
I trained with two Olympic (’64?) gold medalist gymnasts a long time ago. They still retained a fine physique.

Incline bench, 45 deg., lateral raises immediately followed by standing lateral raises using the same weight.
Do not let go of the bd’s. This will literally fry your shoulders.

Have fun!

Personally, I think, for the most part (think squats for instance) exercising on ‘machines’ have very little
to do with how you look. That, as you know, is determined my muscle insertions, joint size, bla, bla, bla.
And ultimately, the acid test, is diet. Most people would look far far better lighter than they are now.
True story. But I am getting myself off track . . . on to your exercises

Tried them. I don’t think that wide makes you wide.

This exercise has saved far more knees than it has destroyed. I like it. Knew a guy years and years ago who
did nothing but leg ext. for his quads and they were utterly ginormous. Freakish. Did tons and tons of sets.

Tried it. Can’t use enough weight for it to be of value.

Just did them this morning. Did them very strict, think Roman Fritz who I think one could do worse than by
emulating his training ‘style’.

•adductor machine
That and the abductor. Really good for me before squats. Makes squats far more comfortable.

Depends on the machine. Think ergonomics. Not all machines are created equal. One squat / leg press
machine I use (don’t remember the mfgr.) must have been built with me in mind. Just perfect. Too bad
it has been relegated to gathering dust in the yoga room which is always busy so I don’t use it as often
as I like. It is the only machine in my entire life that I have been able to utilize the entire weight stack on.
Maybe that is why . . . think frequency. Or should I say infrequency. May be on to something here . . .

Never tried it. No opinion.

Just off the top of my head . . . exercises I do, but don’t see others doing . . .

Standing bb press behind the next. Use Dante’s ‘broom stick’ protocol for shoulder flexibility. Saved my shoulders.

Lying reverse grip triceps extensions. This will save your elbows and blow out your tri’s. Thank you prehensile thumbs.

Bent over rows using a trap bar. Try it you will like it. Saved my low back.

Very high rep (50- 100) smith machine, standing, flat footed, calf raises. Thank you Phil Hernon.

Weighted dips and chins. Nothing, in my opinion, beats moving one’s body through space. Look at gymnasts.
I trained with two Olympic (’64?) gold medalist gymnasts a long time ago. They still retained a fine physique.

Incline bench, 45 deg., lateral raises immediately followed by standing lateral raises using the same weight.
Do not let go of the bd’s. This will literally fry your shoulders.

Have fun!

I've actually done all those you listed. And like all of them. I do dips every other chest workout weighted and body weight

One movement I did today was a rope attachment pull down facing opposite from the knee pads. Saw Jon Meadows doing it and I tried FST7 style and it totally fried my lats. Great pump from these. I made sure to pull down to my rib cage to get a full contraction.

Anything involving a kettle bell. I still haven't used one before but I'm debating it for fitness reasons.

Anything involving a kettle bell. I still haven't used one before but I'm debating it for fitness reasons.

I used these on the powerlifting team in high school. We do tricep extensions, these things where you swing them up I guess it's supposed to help explosiveness.

One thing I really want to start incorporating is sled pulls for some HIIT cardio and explosiveness. Anybody ever use these?

Kettle bells are pretty cool. It changes the lever mechanism of your lift and can give a good/unique muscle tension while using lesser weight than you think you should. It also breaks up "same old" of weight lifting. That being said I only use them in my home garage gym in fear of looking like a sissy. Haha.

Just to name a few:

- Good mornings

- Hip adductor/abductor

- Barbell glute bridge

- Straight arm pulldowns (once I got the form down... lats on fire!)

- Single leg press

- Meadow's rows (They were just new to me--love these)

Just to name a few:

- Good mornings

- Hip adductor/abductor

- Barbell glute bridge

- Single leg press

The last 2 I'm not a huge fan of. Tried them and I'm not too crazy about them.

The straight arm pull downs, do you mean like a cable pull over or are these the ones where you just pull your lats down like an upside down shrug almost, with a lat pull down cable? I haven't tried those yet if that's what your talking about I saw victor Martinez doing them to warm up with

Just to name a few:

- Good mornings

- Hip adductor/abductor

- Barbell glute bridge

- Single leg press

I absolutely LOVE the Hammer Strength ISO-LATERAL leg press. I used to NEVER use it but now like I said,,its a love affair.

Bosu ball squats....

Thought i would never try them...
And i never will now...im too old..

:(

I have used kettlbells for lying tricep Extensions and pull overs and both feel really good. Got both ideas from JM

The last 2 I'm not a huge fan of. Tried them and I'm not too crazy about them.

The straight arm pull downs, do you mean like a cable pull over or are these the ones where you just pull your lats down like an upside down shrug almost, with a lat pull down cable? I haven't tried those yet if that's what your talking about I saw victor Martinez doing them to warm up with
The pullover variant. I haven't tried the latter but have been meaning to. If I like it, I might add it into my programming :).

I absolutely LOVE the Hammer Strength ISO-LATERAL leg press. I used to NEVER use it but now like I said,,its a love affair.
It's an amazing machine. It takes a bit of getting used to (almost feels like you're drunk or trying to get your sea legs lol), but man it's killer!

Butt blaster. Hey....gotta look good in my thong....

I know a lot of guys shun BTN presses of any sort, but for me, I think they're great. I can really hit the lateral heads quite well, which is a lot more difficult with their front of the neck counterpart.

I know a lot of guys shun BTN presses of any sort, but for me, I think they're great. I can really hit the lateral heads quite well, which is a lot more difficult with their front of the neck counterpart.

If done correctly....they are safe..

I LOVE them....on the smith....with 1 plate
A side.....do 3 rest pause or drop sets..

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Punisher13420
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws