YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Muscle atrophy from injections over time?

Gravyv

Registered
Is this something can that happen over time from over use or due to damage from pinning?

I'm not sure if my leg muscles were always this way but I recently noticed my lower outer right quad is under developed compared to my right side. It looks like it's missing a chunk of muscle. It looks like maybe my right side just inserts higher. However when I feel the muscle and contract it feels like they have the same insertions and it just that lower area is underdeveloped.

With that said, I haven't been able to really train my legs hard in a few years due to my lower back problems. I'm going to try to work in some more frequent leg workouts again to see if I can see some growth.

I tried taking a picture but it's kind of hard to see. I took it seated so my left quad looks bigger. But you can see that my lower outer left side is thicker and raises higher. The right side is flatter.
leg.jpg

Last edited:
I would think possibly nerve damage from your lower back would be more likely than from injections. Just a thought. I could be way off. My sciatica in my lower back is causing my left leg to shrink. It’s in horrible pain constantly.

It's probably just due to not training legs hard for a few years. Everyone has some degree of asymmetry, but when you go from trained to untrained it can be more pronounced.

Atrophy from injections could be possible, but I'd think you'd have to hit nerves over and over again for it to happen. Milos Sarcev believed Nasser El Sonbaty's regression in his back was due to too many lat injections.

This same thing happened to me a few years back out of nowhere. I'm not sure what caused it, but about 1-2 months before I noticed it, I had just got over from a super strained lower back injury from squats. I had only been doing sub-q shots at the time and for a year or two prior....so I don't think it was from IM injects. It filling pisses me off to no end though:mad:

There was another guy here at PM that this happened to a few years back. He too made a post on it. I'll bump it up when I get home later.

Unless you tore your quad tendon (I had) it is most likely nerve damage from your back. I have spinal stenosis and was suppose to have surgery. I do notice I am not able to flex my inner calf muscle in both legs anymore. I take R-ALA for nerve issues, I think it helps the pain, of curse there is little I can do on the nerves affecting my muscles.

Wow..same exact thing with me...same factors. Injections there and low back injury. I know I had a bad inj there before..but also herniated l5s1 a few times. Would be interesting to hear if someone "recovered" from it. My 500 lb squat days are over..not because it hurts but because no strength. I try to do unilateral stuff to bring up the weak side..

Sent from my SM-N950U using Professional Muscle mobile app

It seems like maybe nerve issues might explain it. The muscle spasms and instability are probably making me favor one leg more than the other.

My lower back area going down towards my leg starts to go numb and weak from any heavy exercises. Even on leg extensions my legs and lower back will start shaking and go weak.

I also get trigger point injections in my lower back every couple of months. I wonder if they may worsening things. I was getting cortisone shots also initially but dropped them due to potential damage since the minor relief only lasted a couple of months.

I'm trying to avoid needing another back surgery. Any one else with similar issues able to find a work around? I might try getting a belt to see if it'll help.
I was only able to do maybe 1 leg workout a month this year. And it was mostly just bodyweight, and rehab type stuff with a medicine ball.

I have the same issue and its from the superficial layers of the muscle tearing and retracting; an MRI would confirm. I got mine from over-stretching my quads many years ago when using Denkall T-400. The T-400 was brutal and caused a lot of pain and swelling so the muscle didn't want to stretch and slightly pulled away; it looks identical to yours. If it were nerve damage, the entire muscle would be smaller but the correct shape. The nerves in the back don't innervate specific portions of the vastus lateralis; either the whole muscle contracts or it doesn't.

Nerve damage to some degree seems the most likely to me. As I assume that is where my size and strength loss has occurred from the MRI that I have seen.

I have the same issue and its from the superficial layers of the muscle tearing and retracting; an MRI would confirm. I got mine from over-stretching my quads many years ago when using Denkall T-400. The T-400 was brutal and caused a lot of pain and swelling so the muscle didn't want to stretch and slightly pulled away; it looks identical to yours. If it were nerve damage, the entire muscle would be smaller but the correct shape. The nerves in the back don't innervate specific portions of the vastus lateralis; either the whole muscle contracts or it doesn't.

Denkall T-400 now that brings back memories

Is this something can that happen over time from over use or due to damage from pinning?

I'm not sure if my leg muscles were always this way but I recently noticed my lower outer right quad is under developed compared to my right side. It looks like it's missing a chunk of muscle. It looks like maybe my right side just inserts higher. However when I feel the muscle and contract it feels like they have the same insertions and it just that lower area is underdeveloped.

With that said, I haven't been able to really train my legs hard in a few years due to my lower back problems. I'm going to try to work in some more frequent leg workouts again to see if I can see some growth.

I tried taking a picture but it's kind of hard to see. I took it seated so my left quad looks bigger. But you can see that my lower outer left side is thicker and raises higher. The right side is flatter.
leg.jpg

No to your question. Not everyone has nicely equal and symmetrical muscles/instertion points/... It's just your genetics.

.... I'm going to try to work in some more frequent leg workouts again to see if I can see some growth....
leg.jpg

I would work each leg separately on and off,(leg ext/leg press for ex) while adding extra reps for the left leg.

If you favor one leg you may have a pelvic tilt of some sort. I don't have atrophy but I have weakness in one leg. I go to a physical therapist weekly and work on isolating and activating individual muscles. I'm squatting 650..or was. Tore my hamstring three weeks ago which was unrelated, but even after years of lifting I have to revisit the basics. Just some thoughts man.

Sent from my S2_PRO using Tapatalk

scar tissue build up and nerve damage can definitely lad to some atrophy

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear