over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

My Battle With Kidney Failure

Sorry to hear this. I wish you the best.

Keep us updated.

I feel for you man. My mother was on dialysis for years (due to diabetes) she was fine, life went on as normal (she was not athletic though). She developed dementia and was so far gone, we actually stopped her dialysis and let her die through a controlled death. It sounds morbid but when my father and siblings thought about it, she would not want to live the way she was.
I have been on AAS for 32 years (more on than off) competed for 9 years in the 80s and 90s. I never thought about BP, but I remember the guys would say how red I was when lifting heavy and I am sure the BP was high for years. About 10 years ago, while at work I used one of those BP machines, the reading was 195/115. Went to a nephrologist, been on BP meds since. My most recent eGFR was 42, but still muscular so I know this is not accurate, creatinine was 1.86. I know I am not heading in the right direction and definitely feel for you.
I was just talking to friend today (we were workout partners in the 90s) he had 2 kidney transplants. The first failed because he said he developed cancer from the rejection drugs so his wife gave him one of hers, he is in the gym and seems good. His doctor said it was NOT from steroid use.
You will eventually get the kidney transplant as you are a good candidate, young and not chronic. They would not give one to my mom because of the diabetes. Once done, you will be GTG.
My brother in laws twin brother had 2 transplants as well (along with a new heart), I saw him at Christmas and he seems fine now

Sorry to hear this, I wouldn't wish this on anyone!! You can do a search of my posts to get some of the details of my story, but it is way too long and depressing to post my full story. But in summary, I have been dealing with the same shit for a little over 2 years now; my GFR plummeted in a real short time and the biopsies showed that the immune system attacked the kidneys(but no sign of any current autoimmune diseases and not sure what brought it on).

One thing I can tell you from reading your posts is DO NOT do peritoneal dialysis!!!. I did and almost died because it didn't work. When I finally made it to Mayo Clinic because I was in heart failure and my EF had dropped to 25%; the nephrologist there said that he would never recommend peritoneal dialysis for someone my size because it just doesn't work well with big people. You can do hemo at home with a product called NxStage; in fact that is what I would recommend because, if you still have a decent amount of muscle left, you are going to need more than the normal one size fits all 3 times a week they do in the dialysis centers; and insurance will pay for it at home with NxStage but not in the centers.

My best advice is to surround yourself with a strong support network of friends. I would have given up a long time ago I didn't have so many incredible caring people around me; especially my wife. Also be patient, there are so many hoops you are going to have to jump through and it is tough when you are already worn down.

If you have any questions feel free to ask or PM me.

Do you think your BUN is that low (comparatively for your condition) because of your dietary adjustments?

Best of luck to you!

Sorry to hear this, I wouldn't wish this on anyone!! You can do a search of my posts to get some of the details of my story, but it is way too long and depressing to post my full story. But in summary, I have been dealing with the same shit for a little over 2 years now; my GFR plummeted in a real short time and the biopsies showed that the immune system attacked the kidneys(but no sign of any current autoimmune diseases and not sure what brought it on).

One thing I can tell you from reading your posts is DO NOT do peritoneal dialysis!!!. I did and almost died because it didn't work. When I finally made it to Mayo Clinic because I was in heart failure and my EF had dropped to 25%; the nephrologist there said that he would never recommend peritoneal dialysis for someone my size because it just doesn't work well with big people. You can do hemo at home with a product called NxStage; in fact that is what I would recommend because, if you still have a decent amount of muscle left, you are going to need more than the normal one size fits all 3 times a week they do in the dialysis centers; and insurance will pay for it at home with NxStage but not in the centers.

My best advice is to surround yourself with a strong support network of friends. I would have given up a long time ago I didn't have so many incredible caring people around me; especially my wife. Also be patient, there are so many hoops you are going to have to jump through and it is tough when you are already worn down.

If you have any questions feel free to ask or PM me.

Thank you! I know im far from the only one going through bad shit but i tell you, sometimes it feels so lonely. My girl is there for me through it all but its hard bc she doesnt fully understand. Most nights im so exhausted and drained and she gets upset we dont go out often. I try to explain but as you know, its hard to put into words how it feels. At times it feels like my body wants to quit and i have to fight it mentally. Literally feels like mind over matter. If not for my 2 young boys (9 and 11) i don't know if id be fighting this hard. They are my reason though and as long as i have them ill never give up.

I dont fear dialysis i welcome it at this point. ANYTHING to feel better. Im glad you told me of your experience w it. Gives me options to discuss w my neph on monday. Thankfully im self employed and work from home. So if i have to go to a center, as long as there's wifi ill be good on that front haha.

Thank you! I know im far from the only one going through bad shit but i tell you, sometimes it feels so lonely. My girl is there for me through it all but its hard bc she doesnt fully understand. Most nights im so exhausted and drained and she gets upset we dont go out often. I try to explain but as you know, its hard to put into words how it feels. At times it feels like my body wants to quit and i have to fight it mentally. Literally feels like mind over matter. If not for my 2 young boys (9 and 11) i don't know if id be fighting this hard. They are my reason though and as long as i have them ill never give up.

I dont fear dialysis i welcome it at this point. ANYTHING to feel better. Im glad you told me of your experience w it. Gives me options to discuss w my neph on monday. Thankfully im self employed and work from home. So if i have to go to a center, as long as there's wifi ill be good on that front haha.

I can totally relate with what you are saying about feeling lonely; its like the world keeps going while you sit struggling day-to-day to survive and not really being apart of that world. And while people say that they understand what you are going through; they don't. There is no way can they fully appreciate the extent of how you feel without having been in your shoes and its far worse than they think. My situation is similar to yours as well in that I have a 10 y/o daughter and 14 y/o son and they are my only reason for not giving up.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear