over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

My blood results - kidney question

TNH

Kilo Klub Member
I got my blood tests back, and everything is in range except for two readings on my urinalysis. Protein in urine was out of range, and Specific Gravity was high.

Both would indicate a kidney problem, but all other values were good such as eGFR and BUN.

I am often dehydrated when I wake in the morning, and I am trying to think if I had much to drink before getting my blood test. I am betting that I didn't drink much, and I may have gone in there dehydrated.
I did a search for specific gravity and proteinuria, and both results can be skewed by dehydration.

So if BUN, eGFR, and all other values are in range except for these two, is it safe to assume that my kidneys are fine? Or should I go see a doc?

I am going to order another test and make sure I am well hydrated.

proteinuria can be a feature of many conditions bro, including dehydration. Do you have foamy urine as well? My bloodwork is fine but I have the foam from time to time if my water intake in low or next to absent. Just up your fluids and it should subside.

I would say 25% of the time, my urine is more bubbly/slightly foamy. I have never had REALLY foamy urine.
My first bathroom visit upon waking this morning (after a night of soaking night sweats, dehydrated for sure), it was very bubbly, and I'd say some foam. But the 2nd time I went today, there were zero bubbles or foam.

i had the same problem on my last blood test-my specific gravity came back high-i think it was because i was dehydrated since the test was done in the morning and i didnt really drink anything since the night before- i just had another test a couple of days ago so i should get the results back soon

Do a search. Phil Hernon had a FANTASTIC thread on kidney health. It should be required reading. Many of us are slowly damaging our kidneys. Its unnoticable for years. Then your kidneys dont work.

Read it. I cant do it justice here. Or any where.

I got my blood tests back, and everything is in range except for two readings on my urinalysis. Protein in urine was out of range, and Specific Gravity was high.

Both would indicate a kidney problem, but all other values were good such as eGFR and BUN.

I am often dehydrated when I wake in the morning, and I am trying to think if I had much to drink before getting my blood test. I am betting that I didn't drink much, and I may have gone in there dehydrated.
I did a search for specific gravity and proteinuria, and both results can be skewed by dehydration.

So if BUN, eGFR, and all other values are in range except for these two, is it safe to assume that my kidneys are fine? Or should I go see a doc?

I am going to order another test and make sure I am well hydrated.

How much protein did you have in your urine? Increased specific gravity suggests that you have casts in your urine. This isn't due to dehydration. Do you have any history of diabetes? What is your MCV of your RBC's like?

The lab report just says '1+' for protein, the range is supposed to be 'negative/trace'

MCV was 97, range listed is 80-98

I have no history of diabetes, but a doctor once suggested that I may have neurogenic diabetes insipidus resulting from a head injury. I don't know if that would have any effect on my results. I do know that nephrogenic diabetes insipidus would cause specific gravity to be abnormal, but I am not sure if my condition would.

Last edited:
The lab report just says '1+' for protein, the range is supposed to be 'negative/trace'

MCV was 97, range listed is 80-98

I have no history of diabetes, but a doctor once suggested that I may have neurogenic diabetes insipidus resulting from a head injury. I don't know if that would have any effect on my results. I do know that nephrogenic diabetes insipidus would cause specific gravity to be abnormal, but I am not sure if my condition would.

Well, I think your probably fine. Did you have a streptococcal infection recently? What about a history of a major viral illness like a mononucleosis? Are you allergic to wheat products... do they give you diarrhea? If you answered yes, then this explains it and its transient. However, if not, you might have inflammation of your liver, so back off any gear or stimulants to allow you liver to regenerate and lay off the Tylenol. I wouldn't be surprised if you got a virus either after or close to the time of your head injury which can cause the npi and the virus is causing the proteinuria. Lastly, sometimes when the technician is testing for proteinuria, if they don't do it right, you automatically get a false positive result. I hope this helps.

Well, I think your probably fine. Did you have a streptococcal infection recently? What about a history of a major viral illness like a mononucleosis? Are you allergic to wheat products... do they give you diarrhea? If you answered yes, then this explains it and its transient. However, if not, you might have inflammation of your liver, so back off any gear or stimulants to allow you liver to regenerate and lay off the Tylenol. I wouldn't be surprised if you got a virus either after or close to the time of your head injury which can cause the npi and the virus is causing the proteinuria. Lastly, sometimes when the technician is testing for proteinuria, if they don't do it right, you automatically get a false positive result. I hope this helps.

I have not had strep recently, or any other viruses that I know of. I am not allergic to wheat.
I have had issues with liver inflammation quite a few times, that has got to be it. I was abusing stims badly for a while, but have stopped that and don't use tylenol at all.
My head injury was a long time ago, and I did have some viral infections around that time period. I don't have any symptoms from that virus anymore, but could it still be causing the proteinuria years later?
Thank you very much for your help.

Last edited:

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
BL
NapsGear