My dad's heart (aneurysm)

Elvia1023

Featured Member / Supp Guru / Board Supporter
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Board Supporter
Verified Customer
My dad has been through alot of health problems. Nothing ever wrong with his heart. But recently started having problems with loss of breath etc. He had an ultrasound scan.

Anyway the scan detected a small aneurysm... which is a ballooning of his main artery. He has now been referred to a vascular surgeon.

I was just wondering if anyone has been through this or currently has an aneurysm. The main area of concern is the fact it is in his main artery. I would appreciate anyone letting me know what they encountered or if they have any advice. Thanks

I sure hate to hear that! Keep us updated!! Hopefully, the procedure will be a smooth one!! Best of Luck!!!

The main vessel leaving the heart which can develop an aneurysm is the aorta. The ascending aorta which is in need of an aneurysm repair is going to be a dufficult time for ur dad and family. Ur lookin at an open chest surgical procedure which will last for several several hours. Recovery will be long and hard. He will most likely be on the ventilator for a while in the icu with sedation and many other medications. Ur dads surgeon will give u the details and complications. Good luck to u and ur family

Sorry to hear this about your father. I have dealt with many patients that have gone thru this and it is one of the most difficult thoracic surgeries out there. Was he a smoker? This is one of the main reasons along with having long standing hypertension. Needless to say only have this operation done by a skilled surgeon and someone that has done at least a 100 cases. Take my advice.

E,

I Believe in the Power of Prayer.
He has guided me through some difficult times.

I will call upon legions of friends to send many prayers
for you and your Dad.

Peace, my friend,

Mack

sorry to hear about your pop, elvia.

hope everything turns out ok

Sorry to hear of your dads findings, but just be glad that it was found before it ruptured because they are fatal if they do rupture. As explained above the surgery is very similar to that of a coronary artery bypass graft(cabg) if the vessel is actually on the heart. If the vessel can be repaired on the heart then it will be repaired. If its NOT the aorta and if the vessel proves to be too unstable then vessels will be taken from his leg to use in place. If it is the aorta then it will be repaired. Most likely the anyrusm was caused by uncontrolled hypertension, but it is possible that it could just be genetic.

This is very sad news mate, i really do hope he gets the very best treatment and is fighting fit soon....

Sorry to hear about that!! My dad has numerous heart problems that have started in the past 2 years after 60+ with zero health issues. Ofcourse in his situation its almost 5 decades of smoking and heavy drinking with zero exercise that has caused his.

My wife's grandfather is 88 and just had a very large anyrusm repaired about a year and a half ago. It was not that close to his heart but it would have killed him in seconds if it blew. His did not require the chest to be opened but at almost 90 in was very risky either way. He is doing great and recovered fully with no issues. Like others have said I would be certain that the surgeon was very experienced in this type of repair.

thoughts and prayers

Afraid I dont know much about this procedure. Im very sorry to hear about your Dad's condition. I think he will be just fine after its all done but it may be a difficult recovery. When I was in college my cardiopulmonary class professor had his mother and father get hit by a tractor trailer and it nearly ruptured her aorta. they were able to patch her up with a dacron patch and she pulled through ok. She was probably about 80 yrs old plus too. I think if they can do an emergency surgery like that and have things turn out ok then doing a planned surgery like your Dad's should go even better.

Once that is patched up it should be as strong as normal or even stronger.

Thank you for all your kind words. Yes he is 61 and has smoked heavily since the age of 12. He quit smoking after many failed attempts 18 months ago. His blood pressure is on the high side but I don't think it is too bad (will have to check on that). Obviously most people his age have raised bp.

I don't know what they plan to do (surgeon) but will update when I know more. Thanks for all the info it is much appreciated. I don't usually talk about my dad cos I get emotional due to various things but I thought I would post on here cos everyone is like a second family to me. Thanks again.

Just found out that he hasn't got an appointment with the surgeon yet. That will come very soon. He only got the results on Sat. By the sounds of it they may monitor him and not do the surgery straightaway but not 100%. We will find out when he has his appointment. Thanks again.

Just found out that he hasn't got an appointment with the surgeon yet. That will come very soon. He only got the results on Sat. By the sounds of it they may monitor him and not do the surgery straightaway but not 100%. We will find out when he has his appointment. Thanks again.

In a way to me this is good news because if it were really serious they would have rushed him to surgery ASAP. The fact that they are wanting to wait for awhile would tell me that he must not be in any kind of imminent danger.

Just an update. He saw the surgeon. Taking into consideration the size of the aneurysm he said the surgery is too risky to perform. My dad will have to get ultrasound every 6 months to see if it has gotten bigger. In the event of it growing then surgery is the only possibility. So good news in one way but it's obvious that if something has developed and has grown to be small it will only grow larger over time. But I am looking at this in a positive way. Hopefully he can just live normally for a long time. There is no point in thinking about the negatives cos I would rather be happy for my dad and everyone in my life.

My dad is his usual self... wouldn't think anything was ever wrong with him. I know he must have certain thoughts but he has this great quality in always being his usual self... he is a rock... so proud he is my dad. You could say it is denial cos he has been that way through some really bad times but the only alternative is to be down on yourself so his way his the best... always laughing.

Thanks for all the kind words. On with life I suppose... just make sure you let all the special people in your lives know how you feel. Keep them close and have fun with them and cherish everyday you have together.

My father had an aeortic aneurysm discovered two years ago. Due to the twisted, knurled nature of the aneurysm they think he may have had it for perhaps 25 years with it slowly getting larger over time until it became visible (like a hernia) through his abdomen.

Due to his age they decided against cracking him open for fear he'd not be able to recover and instead they placed two stents in. He had some leakage after a year and a stent extension was placed and he's all good now....

My father had an aeortic aneurysm discovered two years ago. Due to the twisted, knurled nature of the aneurysm they think he may have had it for perhaps 25 years with it slowly getting larger over time until it became visible (like a hernia) through his abdomen.

Due to his age they decided against cracking him open for fear he'd not be able to recover and instead they placed two stents in. He had some leakage after a year and a stent extension was placed and he's all good now....

Thats great to know. I hope he gets even better over time :)

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Michael_
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws