YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

My doctor is recommending cervical fusion…

thebrick

FOUNDING Member / Featured member / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Some of you may recall I have been dealing with some cervical degeneration problems since Christmas. The problem manifest itself suddenly and without warning. To make a long story short, after many weeks of PT I still have tingling and weakness issues on the left side, and now, some atrophy in the left delt and bicep. My surgeon says its time to do a C4-C6 fusion. I am looking at a 6 weeks recovery. I have been told this surgery has a very high success rate and this doctor I am seeing is top-notch.

I was curious if anybody here has had experience with this or know of someone that has this done?

My dad had 3 fusions done ages ago and lived well into his late 80's. You get used to the lack of movement.

My dad had 3 fusions done ages ago and lived well into his late 80's. You get used to the lack of movement.

Thanks for the reply OJS. Yeah, my doctor told me I would notice a slight reduction in flexibility with a 2-level fusion like I am having done. He did say with a 3-level fusion I would have a noticeable loss in flex and ability to turn my head to either side.

Thanks for the reply OJS. Yeah, my doctor told me I would notice a slight reduction in flexibility with a 2-level fusion like I am having done. He did say with a 3-level fusion I would have a noticeable loss in flex and ability to turn my head to either side.

That turning my head part would suck for me. As it is I can't even turn my head even with my shoulders. I'm at about 60% range of motion now. It makes it very difficult to do side tri and side chest poses.

I see them all day long, high success rate and other than the irritated esophagus you should wake up to better neurological symptoms right away.
don't sweat it its a easy procedure and you will bounce back fast. Just remember you do have to take it easy for a while to allow fusion to occur....

good luck....

I do love how everyone has a "top-notch" doctor

I see them all day long, high success rate and other than the irritated esophagus you should wake up to better neurological symptoms right away.
don't sweat it its a easy procedure and you will bounce back fast. Just remember you do have to take it easy for a while to allow fusion to occur....

good luck....

I do love how everyone has a "top-notch" doctor

I appreciate this answer Lex. Tell you the truth, I am a tad nervous. I guess when you start taking about nerves and spine…

This is a small group of doctors that works with the NFL team in my area, so I do feel good about that...

Brick, I also have cervical issues. Hopefully not to the point of surgery yet, but I've been trying to get over it for sometime now so who knows. I've got a couple questions for you below as I'm concerned what I may be facing down the road.

Did the doctors say you would be able to return to lifting after fully recovered? And if so, do you think you'll ever get back to the same level of intensity or will you have to stay light from here on out.

The first 45 degrees of rotation occurs at the C1-C2 level, so while you will lose some mobility overall it shouldn't be to excessive and it sounds like surgery is needed. This is a very common procedure and the most common spinal levels. I wish you a speedy recovery and hope to hear good things!

Brick, I also have cervical issues. Hopefully not to the point of surgery yet, but I've been trying to get over it for sometime now so who knows. I've got a couple questions for you below as I'm concerned what I may be facing down the road.

Did the doctors say you would be able to return to lifting after fully recovered? And if so, do you think you'll ever get back to the same level of intensity or will you have to stay light from here on out.

Anabolicscuba, I am allowed to train now... as a matter of fact the doctor encouraged me to keep training through all this. I am only forbidden from doing any overhead presses at all. That may well continue post op. As far as the amount of weight I push when everything is fused and I am back in the gym, we have not discussed that yet. Really, my mindset right now is that after 30+ years of heavy lifting, I am thinking lighter weight and higher reps will be my new protocol. My goal at this point is to keep lifting long-term, not push my luck too much with really heavy weights risking yet another injury.

The first 45 degrees of rotation occurs at the C1-C2 level, so while you will lose some mobility overall it shouldn't be to excessive and it sounds like surgery is needed. This is a very common procedure and the most common spinal levels. I wish you a speedy recovery and hope to hear good things!

thank you.

you got nothing to worry Brick, this is like having a cleaning at the dentist. Spine guys do this type of case with their eyes closed. Its simple and easy and has great outcomes....stump just had one a while ago and I believe he is all back to normal...

I have a c5/c6 fuse from back in '98 and nothing major yet to report. granted it was due to a fracture and sublux from whiplash in an auto accident, I was told I have 78% range of motion. Is it noticable, I dont think so. Will I have problems when I am older from issues like arthritis etc, maybe.. Will just cross that bridge when I get there LOL

I recall a couple years ago when at the dr for a non related issue, the thought of having the hardware removed randomly came up. I think as if I ever developed any issues with it since as I was told it has been so long that the bones naturally have fused together thru calcification. That was the only time I gave that idea some thought except for now, as passing it on as a possible option for anyone else in the future. As for me, the plate and screws are mine til I'm dead. Remove them ever, no thanks. LOL

you got nothing to worry Brick, this is like having a cleaning at the dentist. Spine guys do this type of case with their eyes closed. Its simple and easy and has great outcomes....stump just had one a while ago and I believe he is all back to normal...

I appreciate hearing these answers. Two shoulder surgeries, two knee surgeries, double hernia repair, elbow spur removed. I am running out of shit to fix LOL

Anabolicscuba, I am allowed to train now... as a matter of fact the doctor encouraged me to keep training through all this. I am only forbidden from doing any overhead presses at all. That may well continue post op. As far as the amount of weight I push when everything is fused and I am back in the gym, we have not discussed that yet. Really, my mindset right now is that after 30+ years of heavy lifting, I am thinking lighter weight and higher reps will be my new protocol. My goal at this point is to keep lifting long-term, not push my luck too much with really heavy weights risking yet another injury.

Thanks for the info. It is interesting you say no overhead presses because that is exactly what flared mine up. I was doing dumb bell should presses and going pretty heavy. That night I woke up with the a stiff neck and shoulder pain which just got worse and worse. Once I'm back I think I'll be on the same protocol as you, higher controlled reps.
Good luck with the surgery and let us know post-op how everything is going.

Thanks for the info. It is interesting you say no overhead presses because that is exactly what flared mine up. I was doing dumb bell should presses and going pretty heavy. That night I woke up with the a stiff neck and shoulder pain which just got worse and worse. Once I'm back I think I'll be on the same protocol as you, higher controlled reps.
Good luck with the surgery and let us know post-op how everything is going.

Same here. I had been doing heavy shoulder presses on the Smith machine. Woke up to intense neck pain that increased and radiated down my left trap, shoulder w/numbness and tingling down my forearm into my finger tips

Same here. I had been doing heavy shoulder presses on the Smith machine. Woke up to intense neck pain that increased and radiated down my left trap, shoulder w/numbness and tingling down my forearm into my finger tips

Brick:

Sorry to hear PT did not alleviate the problem. At least you will now have an answer and a path to recovery. It sounds like you researched your doctors pretty well. I made that an absolute priority with my surgery.

One suggestion will be to ask questions about what they intend to use to "put you under" and what your options are. I think the recovery from the Anesthesia may be as difficult as from the surgery for some, but it sounds like you may already have a bit of experience with it unfortunately!

I know its unrelated but, I was back in the gym at 15 days after hip replacement surgery and feel great and there is zero doubt our fitness levels and strength aid in our recovery. The PT guy graded me at the highest score he had ever given at the three week mark.

While I certainly am not at a "Brick-Like" level on weights and lifts anyway, I have been doing higher reps 12-15 range, and lighter weights for some time now, and quite frankly, for me, feel it is a better choice at my age and my aspirations (none). I have not squatted or dead lifted since my heart trouble four years ago in April.

I think maintenance of existing conditions, and injury prevention trump any other concern at this point, and I'm sure your facing the same decisions.

Getting older is certainly not for the weak and hopefully we have a leg up on that. Good luck to you and please keep us informed.

PWood

My wife has that exact same fusion. It didnt affect her neck mobility too badly at all. She didn't have them all fused at once rather she had 2 separate procedures. They say after the fusion you have a greater chance of getting another herniated disc due to the other discs now taking greater stress. However the elevated chance of another herniation is much better then the issues you are dealing with now. The syptoms may not all go away immediately following the surgery as the spinal cord can still be irritated from the discs having pressed on it for some time but they should be reduced and get better with time. I don't remember who said you'd have a sore throat but he is very correct on that one. That can easily be the worst pain you'll have following the surgery.

Good luck.

Brick:

Sorry to hear PT did not alleviate the problem. At least you will now have an answer and a path to recovery. It sounds like you researched your doctors pretty well. I made that an absolute priority with my surgery.

One suggestion will be to ask questions about what they intend to use to "put you under" and what your options are. I think the recovery from the Anesthesia may be as difficult as from the surgery for some, but it sounds like you may already have a bit of experience with it unfortunately!

I know its unrelated but, I was back in the gym at 15 days after hip replacement surgery and feel great and there is zero doubt our fitness levels and strength aid in our recovery. The PT guy graded me at the highest score he had ever given at the three week mark.

While I certainly am not at a "Brick-Like" level on weights and lifts anyway, I have been doing higher reps 12-15 range, and lighter weights for some time now, and quite frankly, for me, feel it is a better choice at my age and my aspirations (none). I have not squatted or dead lifted since my heart trouble four years ago in April.

I think maintenance of existing conditions, and injury prevention trump any other concern at this point, and I'm sure your facing the same decisions.

Getting older is certainly not for the weak and hopefully we have a leg up on that. Good luck to you and please keep us informed.

PWood

Good advice Pwood. I am very happy to hear you are bouncing back so fast after your hip surgery.

Yeah, I have actually been going to this group of doctors for many years. They are very sports oriented and their goal get you back in the game. I like them a lot. During game season, it can take a while to get in though. Good sign I guess.

I totally agree with your advice. As as I told my PT a few weeks back, at this point, I am concentrating on the long-term goal of staying active at the gym as long as I can. I think trying to beat any previous personal high points would be unrealistic on my part to put it politely.

to failure at 12-15 reps is still pretty intense.. youll gain just fine ;) i also surffer from cervical nerve issues.. get constant "kinks" in the neck which can be quite painful.. no real numbness in hands ect but pain will radiate down trap and into arm.. talk to two dcos and both said i have degeneration at much of the cervical area.. but 6 and 7 are the worse.. both said to wait until you can take it anymore or atrophy sets in.. so far no atrophy (knock on wood):eek:

to failure at 12-15 reps is still pretty intense.. youll gain just fine ;) i also surffer from cervical nerve issues.. get constant "kinks" in the neck which can be quite painful.. no real numbness in hands ect but pain will radiate down trap and into arm.. talk to two dcos and both said i have degeneration at much of the cervical area.. but 6 and 7 are the worse.. both said to wait until you can take it anymore or atrophy sets in.. so far no atrophy (knock on wood):eek:

Hey Lats (or anyone with cervical impingement issues), I'll pass along some advice my PT told me and they had me working on. I am certain you have no lack of strength issues in your neck, but… DO work on neck flexibility if you do not do that already. Do these simple things. Turn your head and look as far as you can to the right (over your shoulder) and hold for a count of 5. Do the same to the left. Now gently tilt your head to the right as far as you can (ear to the shoulder), feel the stretch and hold for a count of 5. Do the same to the other side. Do all these stretches 10-20 times a day if you can. Also, chin tucks are good, neck traction helps. Try to avoid anything in the gym where your head is tilted back, keeping your head/neck in a neutral position is good, and if you can, watch those heavy overhead presses. They tend to add additional irritation to the cervical nerves if there are impingement issues.

Hope that provides a little relief for you. No co-pay involved :)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity