over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

My favorite carb source now gives me problems

02z06

Registered
hello everybody! I just have a quick question for you guys that have been in the game for quite a while. the last 5 years or so of my training oatmeal has been my primary carbohydrate. simply out of ease it was just easier to toss in some water and drink it.

about 6 months ago I noticed that I have uncontrollable bowel movements right after I can see oatmeal. not cool.

for the last 3 months or so I've been using rice, potatoes and meal replacement shakes, as my primary carb source. anytime I have the slightest bit of oatmeal it goes crazy in my system.

has anyone else had this problem? my only thought is possibly the fiber content of the oatmeal but I don't think that that explains all of it.

Doesn't make much sense. Are they plain oats that you sweeten yourself or they are the ones with a lot of sugar?

I use quick organic oats then I use Stevia packets. It's very light on the stomach.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk 2

Crohn's can start out like that, I know many people including myself who as we have aged oats become harder and harder to digest properly.

Crohn's can start out like that, I know many people including myself who as we have aged oats become harder and harder to digest properly.

Very true actually, oats used to be a staple in my diet sometimes 3 times a day. Shortly before I was diagnosed with crohns I found them harder and harder to digest where now I just don't even bother trying. Simply can't consume them. The same happened with a few foods, bananas for one but recently I have found myself able to eat them again.

Consider having a food allergy test done. It is possible that your body has begun to reject oats as crazy as it sounds. Can also look into getting the gluten free oats as maybe you have developed a gluten sensitivity.

Consider having a food allergy test done. It is possible that your body has begun to reject oats as crazy as it sounds. Can also look into getting the gluten free oats as maybe you have developed a gluten sensitivity.

I was going to say maybe try gluten free. Some people are surprised that oats have gluten but they do. And it is very possible for your body to start rejecting a food that you eat all the time. I have heard of that happening to people before, especially in body building where we will eat the same things over and over, day after day.

I never remember of hearing of anyone getting it as bad as you do (uncontrollable bowel) but i have spoke to people who have eaten things all the time and then started getting sick from the same thing.

thank you for all the comments guys! I do just plain whole oats, i don't sweeten anything.

I never thought about Crohn's disease. I will definitely look into getting a food allergy tests taken.

it is very bizarre. About 10 minutes after I consume any oatmeal have to immediately get to the bathroom. And then the rest of the day is very uncomfortable. what made me notice it is that one day I was just thinking and I had not had a solid bowel movement in about 3 weeks. I dropped out the oatmeal and immediately I return to normal.

hopefully this is not too graphic for this forum.

Lots of people here with gi issues. The best thing that helped me was starting taking probiotics, prebiotics, and digestive enzymes. Night and day difference.

I love oats too but sometimes I over do it on the fiber and it can bloat or upset my stomach.

Oats themselves do not contain gluten. It's usually during processing that they are contaminated with wheat,barley or rye which is why they can be harmful to people with celiac disease. Here's an interesting article. It explains why you might have allergy like symptoms to oatmeal. Does Oatmeal Irritate Your Stomach? | LIVESTRONG.COM

See there is the answer. When i found out there was gluten in oats i couldnt believe it, now that makes sense. Damn food processing.

02z06, you gotta get checked out for crohns and colitis. Celiac disease as well. Those illnesses are no joke, and the earlier you get diagnosed with them the better off you will be. I have a cousin who has crohns and colitis and he did not take care of it. He would get a little better, then neglect it for a while. It got so bad he needed to have his colon removed.

So dont play around, get to the Dr.

I have crohns, and I found if I want oats once in a while if I'm not flaring, is just cook them down extra. Same idea with some harder to digest veggies.

I have colitis and it is a gamble if I can handle oatmeal or not, I can eat it for months and then can't touch it for months, it all guessing game, maybe get checked and see what a doc says.

Wow i think we just made some progress. I knew that the symptoms you were having could be crohns or colitis, but i didnt know if oats would cause those problems to flair up. I guess it could based on what Faded and Moose just said.

Im not saying you definitely have one of those, but you should get checked for everything. My cousin was an extreme case, and he had both and neglected it for years and years. They are both treatable, but you need to stay on top of it.

I have IBS and I can't eat oats. Wreaks havoc on my digestive system. I feel bloated and full for hours and get super gassy

Much better option is Quinoa.
Better nutritional value than oats.
Should cause no issues.
But they must be cooked.

-MT

hello everybody! I just have a quick question for you guys that have been in the game for quite a while. the last 5 years or so of my training oatmeal has been my primary carbohydrate. simply out of ease it was just easier to toss in some water and drink it.

about 6 months ago I noticed that I have uncontrollable bowel movements right after I can see oatmeal. not cool.

for the last 3 months or so I've been using rice, potatoes and meal replacement shakes, as my primary carb source. anytime I have the slightest bit of oatmeal it goes crazy in my system.

has anyone else had this problem? my only thought is possibly the fiber content of the oatmeal but I don't think that that explains all of it.

Irritable Bowel Syndrome has very similar symptoms of Chron's Disease.

When I get stressed, I get IBS symptoms so bad that I feel like I'm drying.

Maybe track you stress levels with your workout/diet to see if things match up.

OP, have you decided to go with quinoa over oats?

I'm starting to notice the same irritation. Can anyone suggest other alternatives?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

can you handle 1/2 cup of oatmeal for breakfast only?

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
GFly
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131