My Journey, From Untrained at Death's Door to Back in the Gym and Much More

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220726-164022_MyQuest.jpg
    Screenshot_20220726-164022_MyQuest.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20220726-164012_MyQuest.jpg
    Screenshot_20220726-164012_MyQuest.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 1
Some posing after a pull day. Pleased with the symmetry and proportion I'm bringing in. 4 months into the gym, new routine, training is becoming quite challenging. I've gained about 5lbs in 1-2 months and my core looks better and I've gained fullness where I wanted it. My macros are low, especially my protein and I've kept it that way on purpose. Now that training is becoming more difficult and progress in regard to weight lifted is slowing, I will push to increase protein intake.
Screenshot_20220728-142200_Video Player.jpg Screenshot_20220728-142229_Video Player.jpg

Here are my markers from my last week's monthly averages in which I forgot to post

Monthly Average Calories & Macros

Calories = Approx. 2650

Protein = 130.4

Carbs = 331.6

Fat = 87.8

Monthly Average Blood Glucose (Fasted)

124mg/dl

Blood Pressure on the Day (7/24/2022)

110/71 Pulse = 74

Here are this past week's averages

Weekly Average Calories & Macros

Calories = Approx. 3180

Protein = 131

Carbs = 429

Fat = 79

Weekly Average Blood Glucose (Fasted)

159mg/dl

Blood Pressure on the Day (7/24/2022)

115/90 Pulse = 75

I had two high readings upon waking this week after trying to reduce my basal insulin dosage. Since changing my training routine this past week (I am on the second cycle of push/pull/legs just today) my insulin sensitivity has been great but, keeping me at 60-80mg blood glucose with frequent snacking. In order to keep my sugar a bit more steady and at a comfortable level, I reduced my basal dosage a couple units from 30 iu daily to 28 iu for two days and it didn't quite work as my calories have increased (via carbs.) I am back on 30iu daily but, I have actually had to use far less bolus through the day, so the reduction or at least maintenance of insulin has been successful. The new routine is going pretty well, I'm happy with this week's progress pics. Now we will be pushing a bit more protein and keeping carbs and fats steady.

Switching to arms/legs/push/pull is doing me well. I just finished a full 10 days (2 cycles of training and 2 rest days) and I feel great. I've been able to prioritize the exercises in my routine that I really want to progress within (ofcourse progression is the goal overall) and so far, so good. I like the routine so far but, as always I may tweak certain things as I go.

Feeling good and optimistic with how much room I have to push.

Alright, here it is. Rest day posing shots. As vulnerable as I've promised to be. In no way am I happy with my midsection or overall body fat but, I have a goal and a purpose. Allowing myself to thrive in training, gain back all of the muscle I once had and more. All this before I begin to focus on a cut. Since being in the worst place of my life physique wise (Small, fat, skinny, malnourished, ill) I have steadily ramped up training and caloric intake.

Everything is going well, I met with my endo virtually today after a year. I will likely begin using a CGM to monitor my blood glucose for the first time. He would like me to get on a pump, that I will do more research on and contemplate. I do not like the idea of having such a device on me while training daily, being a father of a two year old who is steady keeping me on my toes and overall being active nonstop. I also have found a grove with my insulin usage protocol and I'm thinking in the tune of "don't fix what ain't broke."

Overall, I am VERY optimistic on how things are going. I know I will have something nice to show you guys when I plan to start cutting bodyfat in the fall for a pretty aggressive and focused month.

Why did you choose to bulk instead of cut first?

Why did you choose to bulk instead of cut first?
So I was greatly struggling with a gastric condition related to my type 1 diabetes, Gastroparesis. I had my first scare with the condition in 2020, randomly beginning to vomit one morning, then about 100 more times through the day and ended up in the ICU. I had self diagnosed with gastroparesis as I had stomach issues prior to that but nothing to do with vomiting. That hospital visit confirmed the diagnosis. At the very close of 2021, I had to change my life to do what I truly felt was to keep myself alive. For about 6 months before the close of the year, I was vomiting violently every morning and consuming about 1000-1500 calories on average daily.

Sure I had some body fat, see first page before pic, that is in march of this year. Going from barely being able to consume 2000 calories into a cut, made zero sense to me. This process has been in a natural progression from the start. Slowly increase training and food to fuel the training. I am at the same body fat approx. to when I started, with plenty added muscle. I am now (as you can see via my last weekly update) at about 3000 cals daily.

I am ecstatic at the fact, my body fat has stayed the same, I have gained muscle and have increased calories by 2x. This will have me in a great place to hold onto muscle and probably continue to gain when I start a cut in Octoberish. I lose fat very quickly and looking forward to sharing the whole process.

I would encourage you to follow the log!

Did some posing just now and figured I'd post my weekly update pictures a day early. My training is challenging. I'm having success with my arm training and I feel it shows (they're a big focus of improvement.) My back as I've shared, is probably my most well off body part and since switching routines to include pull days as opposed to just upper, I see development. My back is weak from my front shots, it is a priority and being addressed via the addition of pullovers. I am finding my grove with my leg training and it's taken more trial and error. Hacks do me well but initially wrecked havoc on my knees. I switched in front squats and looking to really focus on them long term, I've also reintroduced hacks and trying to find the right form to keep my knees good.

Weekly Average Calories & Macros (8/1-8/8)

Calories = Approx. 2829

Protein = 134

Carbs = 357

Fat = 77

Weekly Average Blood Glucose (Fasted)

107mg/dl

Blood Pressure on the Day (8/08/2022)

110/70 Pulse = 80

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics