advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

My recent shoulder injury- xray, ultrasound done ( MRI next may be) advice needed

devenidas

Featured Member / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
I Injured my doggy shoulder few weeks ago. I don't even do the bloody overhead presses for good 7-8 months now. Stopped them totally. Saw ortho consultant sat just gone. He took x ray and it didn't look fantastic he said so not a good sign. Had ultrasound today and will be seeing him in next few days to discuss ultrasound results then if needed MRI arthrogram. He mentioned labrum issues as well as a possibility .

I really hope it doesn't turn out to be a major catastro-fuck !

I can rehab it after the initial phase as I have a physiotherapist background. for now issue is management with the ortho , should i go for MRI or not ?

Ultrasound I had was 2 hours ago today. when asked radiology doctor told me this after scanning my shoulder

- I haven't torn anything at all little bit of tendonosis of supraspinatus tendon , bursa next to tendon has bursitis , bursa is buckling which is a sign its impinging on rotator cuff - this is what he basically said.

I might FINALLY at last venture into peptides and use bpc 157 and TBC- 500 so get the healing done quickly . so that is an option in management .

thanks u all gents. cheers

Last edited:
Hey GotGame if u reading this mate please advice. I posted the below in Stealth's labrum surgery thread as a further question to your advice. copying and pasting here. I don't think you have seen it yet. kindly advise . many thanks

This makes me feel better that my consultant has taken the best practice same as u would prefer . just out of curiosity why do you say don't get MRI ''just because you are curious''. Do you say this cos of financial reasons as in MRI is expensive so don't bother or something else ? I was thinking if insurance is footing the bill anyway why not see everything in black & white on MRI for peace of mind to get a clear picture of all these years of lifting damage, surgery or no surgery ? Thank you

Last edited:
If your insurance covers the MRI then it won't hurt to get it done to be certain of your condition

I Injured my doggy shoulder few weeks ago. I don't even do the bloody overhead presses for good 7-8 months now. Stopped them totally. Saw ortho consultant sat just gone. He took x ray and it didn't look fantastic he said so not a good sign. Had ultrasound today and will be seeing him in next few days to discuss ultrasound results then if needed MRI arthrogram. He mentioned labrum issues as well as a possibility .

I really hope it doesn't turn out to be a major catastro-fuck !

I can rehab it after the initial phase as I have a physiotherapist background. for now issue is management with the ortho , should i go for MRI or not ?

Ultrasound I had was 2 hours ago today. when asked radiology doctor told me this after scanning my shoulder

- I haven't torn anything at all little bit of tendonosis of supraspinatus tendon , bursa next to tendon has bursitis , bursa is buckling which is a sign its impinging on rotator cuff - this is what he basically said.

I might FINALLY at last venture into peptides and use bpc 157 and TBC- 500 so get the healing done quickly . so that is an option in management .

thanks u all gents. cheers

Glad you got the ultrasound. Dont worry about the tendonsis. Every person who is an avid lifter has it and pretty much everone over the age of 60. I have lots of rotator tendonosis

What I would do, but this is just me, is id go back to the msk radiologist who scanned your shoulder and have them inject corticosteroids into your inflamed bursa under direct image guidance and not just guessing some like people do. That can be both diagnostic and therapeutic. If your pain is gone immediately after the injection ( from the lido) then you know its your bursa that is causing your pain. The corticosteroids can then also be therapeutic. IF your pain is gone after the shot then id take nsaids around the clock for about two weeks after to really give your shoulder a chance to knock out the inflammation and then id rehab it. Thats how id approach it.

IF it doesnt help then I would get the MRI

Hey GotGame if u reading this mate please advice. I posted the below in Stealth's labrum surgery thread as a further question to your advice. copying and pasting here. I don't think you have seen it yet. kindly advise . many thanks

This makes me feel better that my consultant has taken the best practice same as u would prefer . just out of curiosity why do you say don't get MRI ''just because you are curious''. Do you say this cos of financial reasons as in MRI is expensive so don't bother or something else ? I was thinking if insurance is footing the bill anyway why not see everything in black & white on MRI for peace of mind to get a clear picture of all these years of lifting damage, surgery or no surgery ? Thank you

The reason I say dont just get it for curiosity is i honestly believe in medicine you shouldnt do things unless its going to change your management ( unless its academic medicine). So if your shoulder isnt so bad right now that you are gonna get surgery. Lets say its managable.. not great but you can live with it. Your probably going to avoid the exercises that aggravate it, rehab it a bit, ice it, take some nsaids, and deal with it....what if you get an MRI and it shows a labral tear...your gonna do exactly what you are already doing.. what if it shows bursitis...your gonna do exactly what you are doing..what if it shows a small rotator cuff tear... your gonna do exactly what you are doing.

Sooo many people "just wanna know".I mean we knows it isnt cancer.. we know you fucked it up from being a beast in the gym. The management is gonna be the same no matter what it shows.

With that being said Ive had my whole body MRI'd multiple times lol. But its not like I was looking for something it was just to test out new sequences.

If you do wind up getting the MRI for fun make sure you post up the report so we have continued followed up for discussion.

Dev have you ever had an MRI done? You have had a few haven't you? I got one done on my shoulder once. It was when I had anxiety so it was horrible for me (confined space). In the past it wouldn't have bothered me. The woman actually made a joke when I walked in saying you are big so will be fine (because the last person freaked out and had to get out). I had to have my entire body in the machine. The sound is really loud. They give you headphones and I thought that was just to entertain you so dropped them. Then the sound came on and I couldn't move or reach them so had to lie there for an hour without music :eek::D

Dev have you ever had an MRI done? You have had a few haven't you? I got one done on my shoulder once. It was when I had anxiety so it was horrible for me (confined space). In the past it wouldn't have bothered me. The woman actually made a joke when I walked in saying you are big so will be fine (because the last person freaked out and had to get out). I had to have my entire body in the machine. The sound is really loud. They give you headphones and I thought that was just to entertain you so dropped them. Then the sound came on and I couldn't move or reach them so had to lie there for an hour without music :eek::D

yes mate I have on my right knee. I was fine tbh. I am comfortable in hospital environment while I worked as a Physio we had to go to wards , cardio -respiratory an neuro ICUS . I once had a patient who was involved in a RTA and in coma for months and we basically gave him physio so body doesn't form contractures and keep limbs little bit moving. I never liked those cases as their was not much interactions with patients. you treating someone for months and not spoken a word and l they don't even know your name , some of them just look at u if thy were conscious while u moving their body just a bit weird , you smile at them and they don't just stair! just the eyes stayed open...I really felt bad in those cases terrible things happen around us. I am here complaining about small time shit and this stuff is some next level. I once had a patient who got paraplegia and every day I sent to treat him he would ask me , when would I walk again ? how many sessions more before I can drive ? our consultant Physio had obviously explained to him and his family about the prognosis but he could not believe just a traffic accident he had and now he was being told that's it sorry but u can't walk. he told me people have accident all the time get a plaster for fee months and walk after breaking shit tons bones so why I can't walk . look at me I don't even have a fracture . He just would not get it. I explained to him many times politely and with great empathy and by the discharge time he kind of made peace with it only little bit I think. he thanked me for my patience and efforts which was great feedback and I felt I made some difference .

My personal fev as orhto outpatient Physio clinic , muscles bones physio rehab. no surprise as bodybuilding interested me to learn about musculo skeletal system and tats what fascinated me. :) as part of cardio respiratory training we had to spend time with cardiac surgeons. I have seen few heart surgery and a rib cage cut wide open while I was standing next to it . that was freaky. the surgeon was so chilled out and chatting as if was changing a fucking tyre on his car lol! I remember thinking to me mate stop fuckin talking to me and look their you opening somebody's rib cage. obviously he knew what he was doing and I didn't shall we say lol .

u big massive baby :D that are me laugh sorry . they should have told u headphones are not their Jusy to listen to techno trance but to keep the sound from hitting your ears badly. of course u still hear but its much less. I like calm and quiet so tod them no music just left headphones on . I found it quite peaceful and calm in their lol like I was in a quiet cave on my own.

wonder why they took an hour God almighty that must have been horrible feeling anxiety anyway and on top the sound. they normally give a microphone s u can talk to them and they person doing it can hear you through the glass window as they go on after setting a patient in the unit to operate the MRI control on a monitor.

Last edited:
Glad you got the ultrasound. Dont worry about the tendonsis. Every person who is an avid lifter has it and pretty much everone over the age of 60. I have lots of rotator tendonosis

What I would do, but this is just me, is id go back to the msk radiologist who scanned your shoulder and have them inject corticosteroids into your inflamed bursa under direct image guidance and not just guessing some like people do. That can be both diagnostic and therapeutic. If your pain is gone immediately after the injection ( from the lido) then you know its your bursa that is causing your pain. The corticosteroids can then also be therapeutic. IF your pain is gone after the shot then id take nsaids around the clock for about two weeks after to really give your shoulder a chance to knock out the inflammation and then id rehab it. Thats how id approach it.

IF it doesnt help then I would get the MRI

Hey GG saw the ortho consultant again . he said its good u haven't torn anything but I want to see inside for any damage and ordered a MRI Arthrogram . I did not even ask/push he just went for it. He asked me to remove my shirt and tested me again (physical examination) and said OK we will get MRI Arthrogram and see what's going on inside .

so its booked for next week tueday.

GG what gauge Pin they use for it mate ? and what this dye they inject inside, sure its not cortisone and shit. I checked jt doesn't look like it online bu jut double checking with you. I did tell him I don't want corticosteroids shot in the tendon ( no chance) as I know it weakens it. he agreed and said yes it does weaken it and said 'I would not advocate that for you anyway don't worry. wouldn't be ideal for your goals'. So I have made it clear no cortisone shot in tendon. Don't want a repeat what happened to Dorian , weakened his triceps tendon. fuck that shit. I want to be lifting till my dying day not having to quit cos I made a stupid decision .

tendenosis and tendinitis he said is more or less same thing !

he said will see next week after MRI what it says and if needed do a keyhole surgery and sort it out for u! I thought dear me he is thinking bit 'scalpel happy'. I am pretty sure it wouldn't need surgery . pain seems to be getting better as I am doing some things for rehab and the way I killed back yesterday and if I had a labrum tear first of all I wouldn't have been able to train like that and secondly would have felt pretty bad today but I felt say 8 on 10 so nkt bad at all .

I think it's looking like this MRI is going to be more for fun as u said lol. well at least that's what I am very much hoping for . I will update how it goes on MRI day . the radiology doc pretty much told me all about ultrasound scan report so this is the same guy doing it so I am sure he can tell me on the day whats the crack on MRI Arthrogram . let's see how it goes .

Last edited:
Do you take any joint supps?

Hey GG saw the ortho consultant again . he said its good u haven't torn anything but I want to see inside for any damage and ordered a MRI Arthrogram . I did not even ask/push he just went for it. He asked me to remove my shirt and tested me again (physical examination) and said OK we will get MRI Arthrogram and see what's going on inside .

GG what gauge Pin they use for it mate ? and what this dye they inject inside, sure its not cortisone and shit. I checked jt doesn't look like it online bu jut double checking with you. I did tell him I don't want corticosteroids shot in the tendon ( no chance) as I know it weakens it. he agreed and said yes it does weaken it and said 'I would not advocate that for you anyway don't worry. wouldn't be ideal for your goals'. So I have made it clear no cortisone shot in tendon. Don't want a repeat what happened to Dorian , weakened his triceps tendon. fuck that shit. I want to be lifting till my dying day not having to quit cos I made a stupid decision .

he said will see next week after MRI what it says and if needed do a keyhole surgery and sort it out for u! I thought dear me he is thinking bit 'scalpel happy'. I am pretty sure it wouldn't need surgery . pain seems to be getting better as I am doing some things for rehab and the way I killed back yesterday and if I had a labrum tear first of all I wouldn't have been able to train like that and secondly would have felt pretty bad today but I felt say 8 on 10 so nkt bad at all .

I think it's looking like this MRI is going to be more for fun as u said lol. well at least that's what I am very much hoping for . I will update how it goes on MRI day . the radiology doc pretty much told me all about ultrasound scan report so this is the same guy doing it so I am sure he can tell me on the day whats the crack on MRI Arthrogram . let's see how it goes .

Even if you have a tear, it doesn't necessarily mean you need surgery. If you can rehab it good enough to where you can still do your workouts with tolerable pain, then there really is no point in surgery at this time. Seeing as how fresh the injury is, I would give it some time before electing surgery. There are more than several pitchers in MLB that have torn labrums and are pitching without surgery; so it can be done.

Even if you have a tear, it doesn't necessarily mean you need surgery. If you can rehab it good enough to where you can still do your workouts with tolerable pain, then there really is no point in surgery at this time. Seeing as how fresh the injury is, I would give it some time before electing surgery. There are more than several pitchers in MLB that have torn labrums and are pitching without surgery; so it can be done.

Thank you so much for your input mate. That's very reassuring. Yes I did defo think along those lines tbh. I am confident I won't need surgery it cant be that bad I know that. that's what my gut feeling is. let's see what the MRI says next week. cheers

The cocktail for the arthogram is you inject a little bit of optiray ( or equivalent) contrast just a lil bit and then check to make sure you are in the joint under fluoro. Once you know your in by the way its spreads you take off the optiray and hook up a combo of gad + lido. Generally somewhere in the ballpark of 10-12ccs. Im not 100% sure of the needle size as its not a normal needle is a metal hubbed type needle but id guess its about a 22g that comes in the kit.

They will inject the fluid and your shoulder may hurt when they do that as they are distending the capsule. You cant workout for about 2 days after because its prone to injury until it resorbs.

I wouldnt advocate for corticosteroids into a tendon which some people do who have a tear already BUT if you have bad bursitis I would suggest that before it gets worse and is more difficult to treat. But only if its bad.

Make sure you get a copy of your MRI images for future reference. I mean its "good" that your getting it just for fun and i mean sometimes you just wanna know. I mean as with all aspects of life sometimes you just wanna know even if its not gonna change anything but its not needed unless your gonna act on it. Make sure you post up the results and DO NOT just let them go in there and look around. The MRI will show it. Get the shoulder done on a 3T magnet if you can.

Oh and if it makes you feel any better I have SLAP tears in both shoulders that are a good size. Back in my early 20's I used to do powerlifting and fucked up my shoulders a lot during that time. It still hurts me but not do the point where I would get surgery so I just work around it and treat my shoulders good.

Hang in there! I hope it's nothing serious and doesn't side line you for too long.

Great posts by gotgame.

First thing is you need a cortisone shot in subacromial bursa, this can provide diagnostic info, but more importantly make you feel a lot better and allow you to hit rehab real hard. As a physio, you know rehab is not done in gym. Get someone good to hit you with some serious cross friction and exercises. Maybe some iontophoresis etc. also, make sure you are working on the pec minor. Tight pec minor, rounded shoulders = RC problems.

Good luck!!

I'll give you my experience with a torn labrum just so you have another viewpoint.

Back in 1999, I was lifting 5 days per week at a local powerhouse gym. I was just a hobby lifter, not competitive or anything, but into the lifestyle and serious about my program.

I was only about 190 lbs. and used to do sets of incline bench press for reps with 225 lbs. on the bar. One day I tried to put up 245 for a few sets and on the third or fourth rep of my second set I felt a really really sharp pain in my left shoulder. I had a friend spotting who grabbed the bar and helped me seat it. The pain was very localized in the front part of my left shoulder, and didn't throb. I felt sore and hurt slightly when I moved in in an overhead motion. I figured I pulled a muscle or pinched a nerve. I took a week off from the gym and started taking Glucosamine and Chondroitin every day.

When I went back to the gym, I didn't have any problems with my shoulder in most exercises. Overhead press, shoulder dumb bell work, etc. When I attempted to do incline benches again I noticed that I could do sets with 200 lbs. no problem, but if I went up to 225 lbs. as I usually did, I'd get a sharp pain my my left shoulder in the front center area as I pushed up. As soon as I'd set the bar down the pain went away. I was able to work arms, legs, back, shoulders without any problem, probably because I used lesser weight for those exercises except for legs of course. After another month, I was still unable to push inclines over 200 lbs. without that sharp shoulder pain and I decided to see a doctor.

I was referred to an orthopedic surgeon by a friend who had shoulder surgery a few years back from a football injury. To my good fortune, this doctor used to be the team physician for the University of Georgia Bulldogs college football team. He specialized in sports medicine and surgery, and upon meeting him he told me that he loved working out in the gym four or five days per week. As I told him the story of my injury, he listened and nodded as if he already knew what was wrong. He proceeded to take my left arm and move it in many different motions, some holding my elbow, and he would ask me if each movement hurt and if so exactly where.

Once he finished this physical examination, he immediately and without hesitation told me that he felt that I had torn my labrum. He schedutled me for an MRI and sure enough, the MRI confirmed that my labrum had torn completely off of the bone in my left shoulder. So he said that he could do Arthroscopic surgery on my shoulder to reattach the labrum. He said that there was no guarantee that I would heal as good as new, but the chances were good that I could make a full recovery. So feeling he was a really experienced surgeon in these issues I had him do the surgery.

He ended up putting the scope in from three spots, one in the front of my shoulder, one on the outside of my shoulder, and one on the rear of my shoulder. He reattached the labrum, and while he was in there he told me that he found that a lot of cartilage?? (can't remember the term he used)(it looked like bony tissue that had a few spurs on it) had grown inside of my shoulder socket and he cleaned it out so it wouldn't impede my range of motion later in life. (he said that the growth was normal). He gave me pictures of the procedure showing the labrum before and after the surgery, and the socket before and after he cleaned the cartilage?? out.

I was in an arm sling for about one week. Then I went back to see him and he started me in a physical therapy program a few days later. The day I started the PT was the day the sling came off. I'd only wear it at night for a few weeks after that, on PT days, until it stopped being sore after PT. I went to PT three times a week for two months, and by the end of the PT, I had full range of motion back in my left shoulder. He told me initially after the surgery that it would be about three months before he would like to see me back in the gym, and that I'd have to start out really light and always warm up my shoulder with specific exercises before I worked it. Sure enough about three months after the surgery date he told me I could go back to the gym and go slowly.

I went back to the gym and did (still do) three warm up exercises for my shoulders regardless of what body part I was/am working. My shoulder responded perfectly, almost like it was never injured. I slowly and without any pain worked my weights back up to normal, and I never made the mistake of pushing beyond my limits in any exercise again. After a few years I got my body weight up to 215 lbs. and kept my 32 inch waist size. Now near 50 years old, I still maintain those same body weight and waist size numbers.

So surgery isn't the worst thing in the world, for me it worked wonderfully and I healed quickly. My shoulder is as strong as it ever was, and I have no issues with shoulder pain ever. Maybe I was lucky, but I give my surgeon all the credit. If you do go the surgery route, if possible find an orthopedic surgeon that has dealt with sports players and injury's. I feel that my doctors extensive knowledge in this field and confidence in what he was doing played a large part in my positive outcome.

Good luck with whatever you decide. I hope it all works out well for you.

Last edited:
The cocktail for the arthogram is you inject a little bit of optiray ( or equivalent) contrast just a lil bit and then check to make sure you are in the joint under fluoro. Once you know your in by the way its spreads you take off the optiray and hook up a combo of gad + lido. Generally somewhere in the ballpark of 10-12ccs. Im not 100% sure of the needle size as its not a normal needle is a metal hubbed type needle but id guess its about a 22g that comes in the kit.

They will inject the fluid and your shoulder may hurt when they do that as they are distending the capsule. You cant workout for about 2 days after because its prone to injury until it resorbs.

I wouldnt advocate for corticosteroids into a tendon which some people do who have a tear already BUT if you have bad bursitis I would suggest that before it gets worse and is more difficult to treat. But only if its bad.

Make sure you get a copy of your MRI images for future reference. I mean its "good" that your getting it just for fun and i mean sometimes you just wanna know. I mean as with all aspects of life sometimes you just wanna know even if its not gonna change anything but its not needed unless your gonna act on it. Make sure you post up the results and DO NOT just let them go in there and look around. The MRI will show it. Get the shoulder done on a 3T magnet if you can.

Hi Gotgame

I am posting this terribly late. Sincere apologies. I have been kind of avoiding doing this and just carried on as this is not good news. Perhaps did not want to talk about it. Been depressed with loads of other shit going on in life and this kind of did not take priority. I just carried on training as best as I could as if all is normal sort of thinking of it as a minor glitch.

Sooo here it is kindly advice what u think..

First thing first u asked me to get the shoulder done on a 3T magnet so I asked them but they said we only have 1.5 T . They said it will do the job just fine and apparantly 3T is mostly used in research facilities not much in clinical. May be thats how it is in UK. When I entered the MRI room I saw it in big bold letters on the entrance it said '1.5 T Magnet'.

Anyway so we now have something in common mate ! Its a SLAP LESION TYPE 2. Surgeon asked me what you would like to do and remembering what u had advised me 'dont let them go in and avoid surgery if u can' as u have done personally so I told him i am feeling better ( which I was btw so i didnt just said it to avoid surgery) so he said ok great we leave it at that , we wont do surgery if it gets worse then come back and we will reconsider the management. He did show me on the MRI screen the torn / deattached bit and that this will not heal/attach by itself without surgical intervention ( I knew that bit anyway) .

He was sort of against surgery for me personally. He said rehabbing is a pain especially considering you would like to get back to serious training again. You have to have your arm in a sling , PT etc etc. So he said if you feeling better and can manage, do it without it. So he was not a 'scalpel happy' surgeon I must say which is good. He genuinely advised me to hold off if I could by doing my own rehab and may be not killing myself doing counter productive stuff in the gym.

I have modified my delt training strategy anyway waaaaaaaaay before all this happened. Shame it happened after I had stopped overhead presses. But my right shoulder already had the damage set into it as every year or so it will play up, little pain here and there, crackling ( surgeon btw confirmed that all the cracking /poppoing sound I get even while doing a simple triceps pushdown with a straight cable is because of the labrum tear) .

It has been good 8-10 months since I touched any over heard press movement of any kind
(dumbell, machine, barbell) . I started pairing front and side delts after chest work and rear after back, sometimes doing side twice a week after chest and after back , sometimes doing whole delt by all kind of non overhead presses exe after back. so vareity has not been an issue and iI feel quite fresh and happy with this routine. I am able to train very very hard and hit delt to max without further compromising the injured structures inside the shoulder joint i believe. No pain to speak of. very rarely I have had little episodes of tendeness deep inside but they went away with rehab.

Last 3 weeks I have been doing delts on their own fresh and biceps after them but I am needing to do a lot of weight on my 2-3 modified presses ( These movements are a pure shoudler press for front delts but NOT an overhead press) etc etc to fatigue them to the level I would like to before I call it quits . So I will probably go back to my previous routine of pairing them after chest and back. Dont feel necessary to wake up delts second time in the week other then chest day and put them through the whole ordeal of 1 hour or so of punishment to get the job done.

Kindly see ortho consultants reports (2 reports in total which I have combined into 1) after ultrasound and after MRI arhtrogram and the radiologists finding of the scan and advice what you think of the findings. I will attach them next to this post.

Many thanks for your help as always mate. cheers.

Anyone else please feel free to provide your input. Thank u.

Attachments

• MRI Arthrogram report.JPG
    MRI Arthrogram report.JPG
    84 KB · Views: 76
  • Consultants findings after ultrasound scan & MRI scan.JPG
    Consultants findings after ultrasound scan & MRI scan.JPG
    77.6 KB · Views: 67
I hope everyone can see the attached reports. sorry it's not very clear mainly the MRI report. That's how I got it originally as well. Any issues please let me know and I can do a Google drive web link for this. thanks

Hi Gotgame

I am posting this terribly late. Sincere apologies. I have been kind of avoiding doing this and just carried on as this is not good news. Perhaps did not want to talk about it. Been depressed with loads of other shit going on in life and this kind of did not take priority. I just carried on training as best as I could as if all is normal sort of thinking of it as a minor glitch.

First thing first u asked me to get the shoulder done on a 3T magnet so I asked them but they said we only have 1.5 T . They said it will do the job just fine and apparantly 3T is mostly used in research facilities not much in clinical. May be thats how it is in UK. When I entered the MRI room I saw it in big bold letters on the entrance it said '1.5 T Magnet'.

Anyway so we now have something in common mate ! Its a SLAP LESION TYPE 2. Surgeon asked me what you would like to do and remembering what u had advised me 'dont let them go in and avoid surgery if u can' as u have done personally so I told him i am feeling better ( which I was btw so i didnt just said it to avoid surgery) so he said ok great we leave it at that , we wont do surgery if it gets worse then come back and we will reconsider the management. He did show me on the MRI screen the torn / deattached bit and that this will not heal/attach by itself without surgical intervention ( I knew that bit anyway) .

He was sort of against surgery for me personally. He said rehabbing is a pain especially considering you would like to get back to serious training again. You have to have your arm in a sling , PT etc etc. So he said if you feeling better and can manage, do it without it. So he was not a 'scalpel happy' surgeon I must say which is good. He genuinely advised me to hold off if I could by doing my own rehab and may be not killing myself doing counter productive stuff in the gym.

I have modified my delt training strategy anyway waaaaaaaaay before all this happened. Shame it happened after I had stopped overhead presses. But my right shoulder already had the damage set into it as every year or so it will play up, little pain here and there, crackling ( surgeon btw confirmed that all the cracking /poppoing sound I get even while doing a simple triceps pushdown with a straight cable is because of the labrum tear) .

It has been good 8-10 months since I touched any over heard press movement of any kind
(dumbell, machine, barbell) . I started pairing front and side delts after chest work and rear after back, sometimes doing side twice a week after chest and after back , sometimes doing whole delt by all kind of non overhead presses exe after back. so vareity has not been an issue and iI feel quite fresh and happy with this routine. I am able to train very very hard and hit delt to max without further compromising the injured structures inside the shoulder joint i believe. No pain to speak of. very rarely I have had little episodes of tendeness deep inside but they went away with rehab.

Last 3 weeks I have been doing delts on their own fresh and biceps after them but I am needing to do a lot of weight on my 2-3 modified presses ( These movements are a pure shoudler press for front delts but NOT an overhead press) etc etc to fatigue them to the level I would like to before I call it quits . So I will probably go back to my previous routine of pairing them after chest and back. Dont feel necessary to wake up delts second time in the week other then chest day and put them through the whole ordeal of 1 hour or so of punishment to get the job done.

Kindly see ortho consultants reports (2 reports in total which I have combined into 1) after ultrasound and after MRI arhtrogram and the radiologists finding of the scan and advice what you think of the findings. I will attach them next to this post.

If it were me i would NOT let anyone touch that. So when you are looking for SLAP tear you go to superior labrum and watch the biceps attach and then look for T2 signal going parallel into the biceps from the labrum often with some form of detachment. You barely have that, in fact they were even questioning it based on the signal not being too intense. Given your symptoms its probably torn but not worth going in and doing anything about.

you also have some tendinosis of the supra ( we all do from years of pounding away in the gym) but that doesnt mean much.

My advice... keep doing your modified routine. Do not neglect your rotator cuff. do not put your biceps into a stretch position while under tension so dont be doing incline bicep curls as it will pull on your labrum even more. Try to refrain from doing dips or decline if possible or go light.

Hi Gotgame

GG pretty much summed it up. Its not going to heal itself, but if taken care of properly you can prevent further progression and possibly be symptom-free. The key is to get in with a good physical therapist who can show you what to do to increase strength of the RC and supporting musculature as well as flexibility to keep the tension off. He can also show you what movements are ok to do and what movements to avoid. Then when you get back to your normal lifting routine, you are going to need to listen to your body and learn what movements you can't do; trust me, you will know when you do something you shouldn't. It may take some time, but you should eventually be able to find a routine that works for you and doesn't aggravate things.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • MikeS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Atomgear
NapsGear