over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

My thoughts on Cholesterol - a series

mountaindog1

IFBB Pro / Featured Member / Kilo Klub
IFBB PROS
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Cholesterol seems to always be a hot topic on this board, and with good reason. The subject is very misunderstood, due to some really bad science and studies that supposedly proved certain things. My plan is to make some short, easy to understand posts, that walk you through how the Lipid hypothesis was formed, some of the studies, contradictory evidence, etc. I will probably make one or two posts a week if you guys find this interesting. I actually love the subject. I am a little insane with it actually.

So anyway, I am going to give this a shot, andIi hope you all will like it....if you don't agree..that's ok too, it's a free country.

One thing before I start. Often times when people are claiming certain training principles, dieting principles, people often ask for pics as proof to back their theories. BBoy and Phil do this all the time, and I love it. I think it's a very fair question. I am going to show you my picture....so to speak...here are some recent panels I have done. I sent PDF's to Phil and Shelby, so they can vouch for the last set. I did that because i didn't think anyone would believe my HDL could be 60 now with only diet changes since 2008 and especially RIGHT AFTER A SHOW. Notice this change took a couple of years. It was done with diet though..we'll get into that later...

Here is the recent history..

on 5/21/08 here is my cholesterol panel:
Total - 186 - ok by conventional standards
HDL - 18 - this is horrible. This is so bad. You should be at 40 plus
LDL - 153 - very bad - guideline is to be under 130
Triglycerides - 76 - good should be under 150

Result on 9/2/09
Total - 167 - ok
HDL - 33 - still bad but getting better
LDL - 112 - good now
Tri - 112 - good now

Result on 11/12/10

Total - 199
HDL - 60 - off the chart good
LDL - 112 - in range - good
Tri - 136 - in range - good

I have probably 20-25 more sets of panels going back to the 90's. My point is I want you to see how my panels SUCKED in 2008. Now they are the best of my life. All I did was change my diet theories. So there is your picture.

So post #1 - I want to start off by explaining the basic tenant of the Lipid Hypothesis, and where it all started.

The Lipid hypothesis is basically the premise that if you eat saturated fat the concentration of cholesterol in your blood goes up. When this happens, our arteries narrow. Then lastly, this can lead to myocardial infarction or a stroke. That's it in a nutshell....

Now onto the origin of this.....where it all started....

The work of Russian researchers N.W. Wesselkin and Nikolai Anitschkov

So here’s the story. In the early part of the century, they fed rabbits a bunch of cholesterol, and their blood levels of cholesterol rose dramatically. Autopsies did show formation of fatty deposits in the animal’s arteries. They had indeed found the answer to heart disease. One problem, rabbits are primarily herbivorous animals that evolved on plant based diets. They also had success with replicating this with goats, pigeons and other omnivores.

The next step was to prove it in carnivores such as cats and dogs
(more applicable to us). They tried. It didn’t work. End of story. I call this selective science. They only showed the one set of results, and failed to mention carnivores readily metabolize large amounts of cholesterol based on those studies. Guess which we are?

Tomorrow - onto the pioneering (cough cough bullshit bullshit) work of Ancel Keys proving this theory once and for all...

JM

Last edited:
I look forward to this thread. I believe everyday I have a discussion w/ someone who believes carbs is the way to go as the #1 food source, and we as humans should avoid eating cholesterol b/c it makes our #'s too high. They usually tell me this with bad skin, dry hair, depressed, on a statin, overweight, etc, etc, etc, and yawning in the middle of the day!?!
Always looking for new ways to tell the story and learn more on this topic
Can't wait for more to come and how you spin it.
-c

If I had a nickel for every time I have been told "but the cholesterol" and "well your young you can get away with it" ugh!

If I had a nickel for every time I have been told "but the cholesterol" and "well your young you can get away with it" ugh!

to me they say "but the cholesterol". "you should be more careful in your age..":(

I really enjoyed the article you emailed me and am very interested in this as well! I have pondered this before and wonder how we ever made it as a species if we could not process the meat we hunted.

I look forward to more info!

Cholesterol seems to always be a hot topic on this board, and with good reason. The subject is very misunderstood, due to some really bad science and studies that supposedly proved certain things. My plan is to make some short, easy to understand posts, that walk you through how the Lipid hypothesis was formed, some of the studies, contradictory evidence, etc. I will probably make one or two posts a week if you guys find this interesting. I actually love the subject. I am a little insane with it actually.

So anyway, I am going to give this a shot, andIi hope you all will like it....if you don't agree..that's ok too, it's a free country.

One thing before I start. Often times when people are claiming certain training principles, dieting principles, people often ask for pics as proof to back their theories. BBoy and Phil do this all the time, and I love it. I think it's a very fair question. I am going to show you my picture....so to speak...here are some recent panels I have done. I sent PDF's to Phil and Shelby, so they can vouch for the last set. I did that because i didn't think anyone would believe my HDL could be 60 now with only diet changes since 2008 and especially RIGHT AFTER A SHOW. Notice this change took a couple of years. It was done with diet though..we'll get into that later...

Here is the recent history..

on 5/21/08 here is my cholesterol panel:
Total - 186 - ok by conventional standards
HDL - 18 - this is horrible. This is so bad. You should be at 40 plus
LDL - 153 - very bad - guideline is to be under 130
Triglycerides - 76 - good should be under 150

Result on 9/2/09
Total - 167 - ok
HDL - 33 - still bad but getting better
LDL - 112 - good now
Tri - 112 - good now

Result on 11/12/10

Total - 199
HDL - 60 - off the chart good
LDL - 112 - in range - good
Tri - 136 - in range - good

I have probably 20-25 more sets of panels going back to the 90's. My point is I want you to see how my panels SUCKED in 2008. Now they are the best of my life. All I did was change my diet theories. So there is your picture.

So post #1 - I want to start off by explaining the basic tenant of the Lipid Hypothesis, and where it all started.

The Lipid hypothesis is basically the premise that if you eat saturated fat the concentration of cholesterol in your blood goes up. When this happens, our arteries narrow. Then lastly, this can lead to myocardial infarction or a stroke. That's it in a nutshell....

Now onto the origin of this.....where it all started....

The work of Russian researchers N.W. Wesselkin and Nikolai Anitschkov

So here’s the story. In the early part of the century, they fed rabbits a bunch of cholesterol, and their blood levels of cholesterol rose dramatically. Autopsies did show formation of fatty deposits in the animal’s arteries. They had indeed found the answer to heart disease. One problem, rabbits are primarily herbivorous animals that evolved on plant based diets. They also had success with replicating this with goats, pigeons and other omnivores.

The next step was to prove it in carnivores such as cats and dogs
(more applicable to us). They tried. It didn’t work. End of story. I call this selective science. They only showed the one set of results, and failed to mention carnivores readily metabolize large amounts of cholesterol based on those studies. Guess which we are?

Tomorrow - onto the pioneering (cough cough bullshit bullshit) work of Ancel Keys proving this theory once and for all...

JM

I just received my best labs scores this month that I have documented for the past several years. I get labs at least every 3 months. I don't get it...:confused: When I eat better and train more mine get worse. When I eat crappy and don't exercise they get better. I have not worked-out in 3 months and was home 6 weeks from work eating like crap until last week when I posted a food for the week thread. I'm in the worst shape of my lfe. All I can contribute it to was I was not at work, which is very stressful. Is there a correlation with stress and cholesterol. My HDL was always in 20s and hematocrit 50 or above. For some reason the below s my lab work this month.

The only other thing can correlate t to was maybe my Test levels were very Low. They came back only at 145. Don't know how that is..My doctor switch my test to androgel so i went a few days without any test then started the androgel and been on it for a month.

My Dec. Labs:

Cholesterol Total =151
HDL=41
LDL=89
TRI=103

Hematocrit=47

Last edited:
I just received my best labs scores this month that I have documented for the past several years. I get labs at least every 3 months. I don't get it...:confused: When I eat better and train more mine get worse. When I eat crappy and don't exercise they get better. I have not worked-out in 3 months and was home 6 weeks from work eating like crap until last week when I posted a food for the week thread. I'm in the worst shape of my lfe. All I can contribute it to was I was not at work, which is very stressful. Is there a correlation with stress and cholesterol. My HDL was always in 20s and hematocrit 50 or above. For some reason the below s my lab work this month.

The only other thing can correlate t to was maybe my Test levels were very Low. They came back only at 145. Don't know how that is..My doctor switch my test to androgel so i went a few days without any test then started the androgel and been on it for a month.

My Dec. Labs:

Cholesterol Total =151
HDL=41
LDL=89
TRI=103

Hematocrit=47

There is a HUGE correlation between cholesterol and stress....those rabbits I wrote about...I am not sure..I don't think anybody is...but many think they fed them the corn oil dissolved in fat through a catheter injected into their stomach...stressful maybe? I will have alot more to say about stress....alot more...we are going to look at some pretty cool studies that i think you'll like...

JM

Can't wait to read more about this! Thanks for taking the time to post it up.

John, thank you for the information you bring to this board. As I get older I realize I have a lot yet to accomplish and health and longevity are faaaaarrrrr more important than being 'big'. I have reached a very happy medium thanks to guys like you (and phil, iabadman, etc) here at pm. Over the course of the last year I have consistantly ate more grass fed organic meats along w/ butter/palm oil/coconut oil etc for over a year now and have never felt/looked better. Looking forward to your article.

Thanks moutaindog1. I learned a lot from your last thread, about the digestion of food. I sent it to a friend of mine with diverticulitis, and he has applied a great deal of the information. I look forward to this thread for myself, because cholesterol is a problem for me. Thanks again.

I will be eagerly awaiting your posts. MM

I would like to hear about VLDLs, their relation to certain sugars, and their relation to insulin sensitivity. I have read some but very little info on this new area of understanding about cholesterol.

I read these posts.

I am also very interested in the subject.

I just read some information about how we are loaded with Omega six in this country and dangerously low in Omega three.

Apparentlly the Omega 6 and Omega 3 actually compete with each other.

Like a game of musical chairs with 20 girls [Omega 6] and one guy [Omega 3]. Obviously the guy [Omega 3] isn't going to win very often.

So anyway, the Omega 3 6 9 products are not needed and sort of a waste of dollars.

What I am doing is buying straight Omega 3, eating salmon and walnuts. I will post my blood work as well. I am eating lots of green vegetable and protein sources other than the fish are chicken and protein powder with the occasional steak. :)

Today's post - The work of Ancel Keys

So let's talk about this Ancel Keys character. He is one of the most famous players in this whole tale of cholesterol and the lipid hypothesis.

The work of Ancel Keys – This guy was hell bent on proving the lipid hypothesis. Sometime around 1950 he decided to do a massive study involving 6 countries. He definitely did get results that matched his theory. The results showed a perfectly curvilinear correlation between saturated fat intake, cholesterol levels and coronary mortality. There was one slight problem with this though. He had data available for 22 countries and cherry picked the countries that supported his theory, and deleted all the findings from the other countries. Researchers quickly found this out, and included data from the other countries which at the end of the day, blew away his theory. Keys wouldn’t let go though. He then did another massive study called “The 7 Country Study” where he did THE EXACT SAME THING. He picked Finland, Greece, Italy, Japan, Yugoslavia, the Netherlands, and the USA. He was once again called out by many experts. The bottom line was that had he picked Israel, France, Sweden, etc (other countries), he would have actually proved that the MORE saturated fat and cholesterol one ate, the lower the risk of CHD.

Now here is where this gets even more seedy. Keys was on the nutrition adivisary committe for guess who? Yes, the Amercian Heart Association....well as you can guess, they incorporated his theories into their doctrine, and BOOM....so begins the anti saturated fat movement, based off some horrible studies...

Tomorrow I want to post about some more studies...then we'll start to get into what cholesterol is, and more about it's function within the body...

JM

Last edited:
john great post.

A question does saturated fat quality get affected by what the animal has eaten.

i.e. is the saturated fat in grass fed beef different/healthier than store bought grain fed in terms of its effect on the human body??

i have started eating grass fed ground beef since reading your stuff but i still buy grain fed steak as prices in the UK are still stupid.

john great post.

A question does saturated fat quality get affected by what the animal has eaten.

i.e. is the saturated fat in grass fed beef different/healthier than store bought grain fed in terms of its effect on the human body??

i have started eating grass fed ground beef since reading your stuff but i still buy grain fed steak as prices in the UK are still stupid.

It's not the fat itself, that matters...it's what stores in the fat. Chemicals store in the fat in animals (and humans). These chemicals are endocrine disruptors...you can find some good info if you look up organochlorines....that is why I think that organic choices are good for fattier foods...

JM

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
bg15351
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity