advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

MY TOP 10 "OLD SCHOOL" GIMMICKS I FELL FOR BACK IN THE DAY......

JAP426

Registered
I am 43 and have been involved with "lifting weights" for the past 30 years. I had to put my top 10 out here. If you guys could come up with at least one I think we would all get a laugh................

1) Yohimbe Bark: This was probably around 1988. A bodybuilding mag came out and wrote about it. The author claimed it was 22% methyltestosterone!!! Me and my buddies got the courage up to go in GNC (???) and buy it. I hid the bottle away in my dresser drawer and would get it out and look at it everyday. I am not sure that I ever built the guts up to take it. We were teenagers for crying out loud!!!

2) Smilax: very similar to the Yohimbe scenario above.

3) Cybergenics: Oh yeah!!! 60 days to a beach body!!!! It worked somewhat. But trust me it wasn't the cybergenics. It was the 3 hour workouts and the high protein diet!!!

4) Raw milk: An old author in Musclemag preached a glass of raw milk a day before bed. I did it for 2 weeks. Never drank raw milk again.

5) The Bullworker: a piece of metal that had straps on it. You pushed and pulled this thing for 2 hours and you were on your way to 24 inch arms.....Didn't work.

6) Hulk Hogan's very own protein powder "PYTHON POWDER": Similar to the 2 months to 24 inch arms scenario above. It was just milk and egg protein that tasted HORRIFIC!!!

7) HMB: Bill Phillips from Muscle Media touted this as a natural alternative to DECA.....Didn't work.

8) Canthaxanthin: Promised to give me a golden brown tan in 30 days. I turned into an orangish/yellow jaundice type of color. Even the creases of my lips turned to an overly orangish color. This one was hard to explain to mom and dad.

9) Herschel Walker's bodyweight training: Yes 2 hours of push-ups and sit-ups every night!!! This should be fun right??? Wrong. Boring as hell and didn't work.

10) MCT Oil: Yes i know this does have its place in bodybuilding. BUT I took good ol' John Parillo's advice and took about 12 tablespoons a day of his amazing CAP-TRI. Yeah I gained alot of weight. About 10 pounds of fat and 1 pound of muscle.

Honestly, my list could go on and on....But.....you guys get the jist of it.....DAMN I HAVE WASTED ALOT OF MONEY AND TIME OVER THE YEARS!!!

CELL-TECH: I'll admit, as a teen I really thought this creatine was incredibly special because of the alpha lipoic acid additive and all the fancy labeling and marketing, as well as all the crazy statistics they claimed (something ridiculous like 200% increase in x_______ or 4x the x_______ as brand X______)

As for your gimmicks, I actually am a fan of a couple.... yohimbe (the alpha-yo version) is a very effective fat burner for me. There are legit studies showing it helps burn brown adipose tissue, something very few drugs/supps are capable of.

Raw milk is an amazing nutrient source IMO. I had a shop near my house that sold it, I went through a gallon every couple days and felt it was a great addition to my diet. Unfortunately I moved away and have no local source for it. I'd rather not get it shipped and deal with the high cost and possible spoiling. I'm surprised you felt it was gimmicky.

FUNNY

CELL-TECH: I'll admit, as a teen I really thought this creatine was incredibly special because of the alpha lipoic acid additive and all the fancy labeling and marketing, as well as all the crazy statistics they claimed (something ridiculous like 200% increase in x_______ or 4x the x_______ as brand X______)

As for your gimmicks, I actually am a fan of a couple.... yohimbe (the alpha-yo version) is a very effective fat burner for me. There are legit studies showing it helps burn brown adipose tissue, something very few drugs/supps are capable of.

Raw milk is an amazing nutrient source IMO. I had a shop near my house that sold it, I went through a gallon every couple days and felt it was a great addition to my diet. Unfortunately I moved away and have no local source for it. I'd rather not get it shipped and deal with the high cost and possible spoiling. I'm surprised you felt it was gimmicky.

Yeah, cell-tech was a good one. A ton of guys SWORE by that stuff. Pretty much a glorified (or should I say expensive) creatine/carbohydrate/sugar combo I think.

As far as Yohimbe. You are right it turned out to be a pretty effective supplement on its own. It was funny though, because in 1988 they were pushing it as a bonified oral steroid. That it would give you great gains in strength and size. I never did figure out the 22% methyltestosterone statement though. It just never panned out as a strength/size building supplement. I remember even the bottle itself gave it a strange mystique. It was a white bottle with generic lettering "Yohimbe Bark Extract".

Funny shit as a teenager though

One thing to keep in mind about cell tech is that it was marketed yes, as a natty creatine supp, but between the lines known to be a tool in the slin game, for which it works quite well, especially when on upwards of 75-100iu of slin daily.

Haha I like it. I am 50 and also used many of the same. I did grow up on a dairy farm and drank raw milk every meal for 18 years and truly believe it was a benefit to my overall health along with all the grass fed beef, chickens, eggs and veg from a garden.

I
5) The Bullworker: a piece of metal that had straps on it. You pushed and pulled this thing for 2 hours and you were on your way to 24 inch arms.....Didn't work.

I had one of them in 7th grade. Actually, in that it was one of the first things I did beyond body weight exercises it did have a positive effect. A few years ago I was at a Dick's or a store like it and saw the modern version. I can't remember the name anymore, but it was something like XJ 570 (made up the letters and numbers, but I think it was along those lines). The Bullworker will always have a place in my heart.

Don't forget the Anabolic Mega Paks!!!

I'm 50 also. So I used a lot of those.

Boron is another one. But damn Cybergenics was the worst of them all cause it was so damn expensive.

Two of the most hideous tasting supplements I remember taking back in the late 80's early 90's was Hot Stuff and Shark cartilage.

The money I wasted on garbage over the years :banghead:

Two of the most hideous tasting supplements I remember taking back in the late 80's early 90's was Hot Stuff and Shark cartilage.

Yes, Hot Stuff. I almost forgot all about that. Brought a smile to my face when I read that. I used to think that was a big secret! ha.

Careful. You're telling your age :p

Yes, Hot Stuff. I almost forgot all about that. Brought a smile to my face when I read that. I used to think that was a big secret! ha.

How about the Bill Phillips' "Phoenix Experiment"? You got specially selected to participate in the ground-breaking experiment on the greatest new, better than steroids, supplement ever invented (expensive protein powder with creatine added to it). This basically meant you were on the hook to have this stuff automatically sent to you (and charged to your credit card) every month until you jumped through all the hoops necessary to cancel.

The big secret about Hot Stuff....and also the reason that the stuff was flying off the shelves for a while...it had about 10mg of dbol per serving in it. After this was found out it got pulled from the shelves for a while and then came back with a "New and Improved Formula" which of course was complete crap. Most likely had something to do with the fact that it didn't have dbol in it anymore. :rolleyes:

the sad thing is people still fall for the marketing gimmick.
the supplement industry is a 4 billion a year money maker.
you'd think with that many people spending that much money, everyone would be huge and ripped and the chicks would be lean and toned, there'd be models walking around all over.
but nope! i tell people the only stuff that really works is illegal and/or banned by the sporting world precisely because it does work.
everything otc is made from regular food that u can buy cheaper in its original form.

the sad thing is people still fall for the marketing gimmick.
the supplement industry is a 4 billion a year money maker.

I think that everytime Biotest comes out with a new product and hypes it as the end all of supplements.

Yeah, Hot Stuff. I bought some of that. Tasted like shit and didn't do shit.

I also tried Brewers Yeast. The worst tasting stuff ever put in a can.

The banana flavored Hot Stuff lmao. I bought into that one for sure!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The smilax was some nasty crap!!!

i just remember when i was 16 slamming GNC weight gainer drinks all day long doing curls in the basement thinking i would turn into arnold but the only thing i turned into was a fat chubby turd...:eek:

And lets not forget about all the exercise equipment as well.

Thighmaster!!

Shake Weight!!!

LOL Cybergenics, what was that dudes name Frank Santorelli or something like that, "this was me before Cybergenics, and this is me after" lol. I still remember a few of the supplements, one was the anabolic activator, shit I only remember one, yeah definitely wasn't the product but it was that brutal workout, you definitely need a spotter because I remember there being a lot of negatives involved, you would get a positive failure, and negative failure, I did it for a while and Vijaya Ballys where I worked out, are there got tired of spotting me so that was that, I ended up learning how to be a great racquetball player though lol.

ok here was my all time give me I fell for besides cybergenics it was called BORON lol. that was supposed to make me a beast, I used it in conjunction with the sublingual supplement already mentioned called Smile lol. Cool thread bro..

One last thing I fell for, back in the day remember muscle media 2000, the magazine? well in the back of the book there is this guy that used to advertise for antibiotics, you send an envelope with the stamping it and they send you a list, it has all the goodies on there, so you send your cash and the supposed to send you the stuff I remember I ordered Sustanon, deca, and some Dianabol tabs. 1995 I think it was, oh wait a minute that wasn't a gimmick it actually showed up, thank you Mr. IP ;) I almost shit my pants when it showed up,sorry that wasn't really a gimmick hijacking is over, please continue

Who took Boron besides me :confused:

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
GFly
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity