over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Neck Surgery

infinity1

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Im having neck surgery next week to repair two herniated disks in my neck. I will be having c4-5 and c5-6 fused.

My doctor has told me what to expect in terms of recovery and back to gym times.

I was wondering if any of you guys have had this done what your time away from the gym was and if you had any issues with strength returning to the affected muscle areas. For me Im having severe shoulder pain with loss of strength in my outer bicep and anterior shoulder muscles.

Last edited:
John Cena had very similar surgery done. Keanu reeves as well. Look at Peyton Manning too. They all are doing well. Good luck.

I had it done in in 2007. I don't remember but I think it was C5 and 6. I have the cadauver bone and titanium plate. They went in from the front which was to my benefit since there are fewer muscles in my throat than the back of the my neck. I was in pretty bad shape by the time I had the surgery so I felt much improved the minute I woke up and had my senses. All numbness, strength loss, and arm movement returned the minute the disc was removed. My throat was really sore for a few days so as hungry as I was I couldn't swallow food for a couple of days. Just jello and broth. My recovery was complete and I ended up competing at the end of that year. I competed 7 more times in the successive years after. I did injure my kneck 2 times after in 2009 and 2010. Neither one required surgery though the 2009 one was more painful than all of the others combined and has left me with numbness in my right index finger, thumb, and all the way up that path to my kneck.

Aeliop brings up a point. The above and below disc will degenerate faster following a fusion. So be preventative of this.

Aeliop brings up a point. The above and below disc will degenerate faster following a fusion. So be preventative of this.

Im looking into transcorporeal microdecompression (tcmd) or a disc replacement. As Im in my 30s and dont want my entire neck fused by the time I 60 for this reason. Everyone I know who started getting fusions need another level fused within 10 years.

I figure I get (tcmd) maybe that disc can last 5-10yrs before dries out and need a disc replacement or other option if something news comes out to preserve as much motion as I cab.

I had this surgery done several years ago. Had C4-C6 fused. I had disc degeneration with bone spurs pressing on cervical nerve roots. I had pain on my left side radiating down from my neck, trap, deltoid (twitching) sudden huge drop in strength in my left bicep and to a lessor degree, tricep, numbness and tingling all the way down my arm to my fingertips. PT only got me so far. Had the surgery done as soon as atrophy began. Woke up from surgery with immediate relief from pain and tingling. I found the surgery and recovery much less painful than I expected. Had a sore throat for a few days. Wore a neck brace for 5 weeks. I lost a little neck flexibility which is normal. They thought I was recovering great so I was allowed back in the gym after 8 weeks using extreme care and proper form with my neck to minimize neck strain. One of their PT guys showed me how to do that. My fusion was complete after (6-8 months). Your body has to build a blood supply in the allografts first for bone to be built. Just takes time. I did train through all this and it took a little over a year to get all my strength back and peripheral nerves regenerated. I feel I have had a complete recovery. And yes, you will be watched to see how the levels above (C3-C4 primarily) and below fare over time. I go back in 2 years. This surgery has a very high success rate. The best of any spine surgery.

BTW, not just bad form in the gym can contribute to this, if you sit at a desk for long periods of time, bad form/ strain with your neck will too, big-time. Good luck.

Last edited:
I'm an anesthesiologist and have seen many of these surgeries over the years. As long as the neurosurgeon/orthopedic surgeon do a great job your recovery will go well. The surgeons tell me most of their patients make a full recovery back to their baseline within one year.

Thanks for all of the responses!

My neurosurgeon said that there is always a chance that the disks above and below the fusion may degenerate more quickly bc of the fusion.

My surgeon operates has operated on many NFL players and he said they have been back to work in as little as 6 months.

Good luck brother, I'll pray for a good and speedy recovery for you.

Had surgery Tuesday 730 am went home at 10 am Wednesday morning. Feel pretty fucking good. Esophagus is sore from being tubed and from also having the retractors against them for the duration of the surgery. Went on a long walk yesterday morning and this morning. Took bandages off this morning and will lose the hard collar and will be cleared to drive next wednesday. Should be able to start with some very light lifting by the first week of May.

The severe nerve pain I had has been reduced substantially and have already noticed an improvement in my strength in my shoulder and bicep!

Thanks again for everyones well wishes!

Had surgery Tuesday 730 am went home at 10 am Wednesday morning. Feel pretty fucking good. Esophagus is sore from being tubed and from also having the retractors against them for the duration of the surgery. Went on a long walk yesterday morning and this morning. Took bandages off this morning and will lose the hard collar and will be cleared to drive next wednesday. Should be able to start with some very light lifting by the first week of May.

The severe nerve pain I had has been reduced substantially and have already noticed an improvement in my strength in my shoulder and bicep!

Thanks again for everyones well wishes!

Great to hear. We wish you a speedy recovery.

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
astar
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws