over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Need help dieting

lexxdiamons

Registered
Hey guys long time member and even longer time lurker. I haven't posted in a long time because I have been busy with school and life and a string of unfortunate events. Let me give you a little background on my weight situation.

Going back about five years ago I was 210 pounds with about 10 to 11 percent body fat (measured with calipers by a friend of mine who is a NPC competitor).
Right around that time I changed careers, got married and started working the grave night shift, pm to am. When I got off from work I then went to school 5 days a week from 8am to 3pm. This phase lasted 3 years. My weight ballooned to 250 with no training, barely any sleep and a lot of fast food and junk food. At the end of last year I suffered severe back pain due to congenital spinal stenosis, resulting in complete drop foot in my right foot. I had emergency spinal surgery on New Years day 2017. With the prednisone and being bed ridden my weight jumped to 280. By June my weight was down to 270, school was over and I decided to start a no carb diet along with weight training and lots of cardio.

I had my vitamins ready and was good to go. I lost 15 pounds in the first two weeks and was feeling great. Then I got sick with an appendicitis, had an appendectomy, surgery went wrong, they left a piece in and I had a second appendectomy surgery. Lost my job and about another 10 pounds while hospitalized. I was down to about 255. While recovering I gained the ten pounds back, but after a couple weeks I was ready for the gym again. Now I'm 255, back to no carb, cardio and weight training. I dropped 5 pounds in a week but got sick with a sinus infection. Fine...took a week break and came back for more of the same. A week later another sinus infection. I figured maybe the no carb was running me down. I went to a 1800 calorie diet, cardio and lifting. Got sick with sinus infection again. So this past sunday I said to myself let me go no carb and not weight or cardio, maybe the exercise is running me down. Well this week I have stayed healthy, but gained 5 pounds doing a real no carb diet....20 to 40 grams a day.

So here I am, I'm at my wits end. When I was in grade school and high school I was a fat rolly polly. by 11th grade I dropped 60 pounds over the summer, looked great and with a few hiccups never looked back. Any one who can give me some diet and training ideas would be much appreciated, At this point I just want to lose as much weight as possible. I understand I may need to higher someone but funds are low. Any help would be much appreciated.....thanks!

Lean gains/ intermittent fasting....works quite well, especially when counting macros....google it up

You may not like this response, but dieting really is pretty easy you just have to actually want it.

Day in and day out you need to count your calories exactly and eat and exact plan always hitting the same number. You can use a calculator online to estimate your tdee (maintenance cals for your lifestyle). From there start eating at 500 calories per day under that number. Adjust as needed based on results.

You just have to be able to stick to an exact plan and give it a few weeks to see how it's going before adjusting. Those calculators won't be exact but eventually by tracking macros you will Learn your maintenance. From there you just need to eat at a deficit. That's really all that is to it.

Last edited:
Tough life you had the last few years. I'm sorry that happened to you bud.

You may not like this response, but dieting really is pretty easy you just have to actually want it.

Day in and day out you need to count your calories exactly and eat and exact plan always hitting the same number. You can use a calculator online to estimate your tdee (maintenance cals for your lifestyle). From there start eating at 500 calories per day under that number. Adjust as needed based on results.

You just have to be able to stick to an exact plan and give it a few weeks to see how it's going before adjusting. Those calculators won't be exact but eventually by tracking macros you will Learn your maintenance. From there you just need to eat at a deficit. That's really all that is to it.

This is accurate. No one is gonna do it for you. Fitness pal app, start there, fitness pal will give you the amount of cals you need to lose weight and you can adjust your macros as you please. Then you can add the foods you want to eat accordingly.. start with 1g protein per body weight.

Slowly every week adjust. Add 3 25 min cardio sessions for a starter then adjust

All good advice, thanks guys. Im 37 years old now, and it just used to be that when I gained body fat, I would do a hardcore no or low carb diet, kill the cardio in the gym, and viola! Fat melts off in a month or two and I have absolutely no problem putting on size and strength after that. It's just been frustrating that this last year I was hospitalized 3 times and 3 surgeries. I guess fitraver is right...its just I love doing everything fast and hard, but I guess my body just cant take it anymore. Beastmode121 thanks for the sympathy bro....yeah, its been tough. 500 calories below maintenance 3 to 5 30 minute cardio sessions...consistent. Boring but tried and true...thanks guys.

Why are you going to carb right from the start? Do something sensible like

50 grams protein per meal
25 carbs per meal
10g fats per meal

Do this 6 times per day for a few weeks and slowly increase daily cardio by 5 mins every week (start at 20min)

But the key is consistancy.

Example;

8oz chiken
1/2 cup rice
some nuts or a little olive oil (teaspoon)

or shake
2 scoops whey
1tb peanut butter
2 rice crackers

personally id try to get your eating habits rearranged , get your set up to NOT go back to what got you here.

I wouldn't do no carbs right away , learn to read and count your macros then set up meals like listed above , personally I'd leave carbs out of your first and last meals then keep them moderate for the rest. Get plenty good fats from vegetarian fed chicken eggs and grass fed beef and butter as well as coconut and a little olive oil. If these meal are small and don't hold you over for 2-3 hrs then add a cup of green veggies.

Once you are on the right track then go on a "diet" for a few weeks then back to healthy eating so you don't rebound.

Once your eating is in line , start some lifting and increase as needed , maybe 10 min at 75-80% of your heart cardio a couple time a week for heart health

look dude.
1400 mgs tren ew
200 mcg clen ed
100 mg primatene ed

its pretty much the only way.

but in all seriousness go check out BigA's contest prep Article in the Articles forum. That's a good place to see a well planned and detailed cutting diet. I know everyone here is going to tell you to just start and adjust over time but it took me years to be able to do that efficiently enough without help. So i suggest going to that thread and reading and starting there. All opinion

- Air

Hey guys long time member and even longer time lurker. I haven't posted in a long time because I have been busy with school and life and a string of unfortunate events. Let me give you a little background on my weight situation.

Going back about five years ago I was 210 pounds with about 10 to 11 percent body fat (measured with calipers by a friend of mine who is a NPC competitor).
Right around that time I changed careers, got married and started working the grave night shift, pm to am. When I got off from work I then went to school 5 days a week from 8am to 3pm. This phase lasted 3 years. My weight ballooned to 250 with no training, barely any sleep and a lot of fast food and junk food. At the end of last year I suffered severe back pain due to congenital spinal stenosis, resulting in complete drop foot in my right foot. I had emergency spinal surgery on New Years day 2017. With the prednisone and being bed ridden my weight jumped to 280. By June my weight was down to 270, school was over and I decided to start a no carb diet along with weight training and lots of cardio.

I had my vitamins ready and was good to go. I lost 15 pounds in the first two weeks and was feeling great. Then I got sick with an appendicitis, had an appendectomy, surgery went wrong, they left a piece in and I had a second appendectomy surgery. Lost my job and about another 10 pounds while hospitalized. I was down to about 255. While recovering I gained the ten pounds back, but after a couple weeks I was ready for the gym again. Now I'm 255, back to no carb, cardio and weight training. I dropped 5 pounds in a week but got sick with a sinus infection. Fine...took a week break and came back for more of the same. A week later another sinus infection. I figured maybe the no carb was running me down. I went to a 1800 calorie diet, cardio and lifting. Got sick with sinus infection again. So this past sunday I said to myself let me go no carb and not weight or cardio, maybe the exercise is running me down. Well this week I have stayed healthy, but gained 5 pounds doing a real no carb diet....20 to 40 grams a day.

So here I am, I'm at my wits end. When I was in grade school and high school I was a fat rolly polly. by 11th grade I dropped 60 pounds over the summer, looked great and with a few hiccups never looked back. Any one who can give me some diet and training ideas would be much appreciated, At this point I just want to lose as much weight as possible. I understand I may need to higher someone but funds are low. Any help would be much appreciated.....thanks!

A few questions, why no carb diet?>Why 1800 calories? Has anybody done a nutrient summary profile on you?

personally id try to get your eating habits rearranged , get your set up to NOT go back to what got you here.

I wouldn't do no carbs right away , learn to read and count your macros then set up meals like listed above , personally I'd leave carbs out of your first and last meals then keep them moderate for the rest. Get plenty good fats from vegetarian fed chicken eggs and grass fed beef and butter as well as coconut and a little olive oil. If these meal are small and don't hold you over for 2-3 hrs then add a cup of green veggies.

Once you are on the right track then go on a "diet" for a few weeks then back to healthy eating so you don't rebound.

Once your eating is in line , start some lifting and increase as needed , maybe 10 min at 75-80% of your heart cardio a couple time a week for heart health

Why would you leave carbs out of his first and last meals?

Why are you going to carb right from the start? Do something sensible like

50 grams protein per meal
25 carbs per meal
10g fats per meal

Do this 6 times per day for a few weeks and slowly increase daily cardio by 5 mins every week (start at 20min)

But the key is consistancy.

Example;

8oz chiken
1/2 cup rice
some nuts or a little olive oil (teaspoon)

or shake
2 scoops whey
1tb peanut butter
2 rice crackers

Where did you get those numbers?

All good advice, thanks guys. Im 37 years old now, and it just used to be that when I gained body fat, I would do a hardcore no or low carb diet, kill the cardio in the gym, and viola! Fat melts off in a month or two and I have absolutely no problem putting on size and strength after that. It's just been frustrating that this last year I was hospitalized 3 times and 3 surgeries. I guess fitraver is right...its just I love doing everything fast and hard, but I guess my body just cant take it anymore. Beastmode121 thanks for the sympathy bro....yeah, its been tough. 500 calories below maintenance 3 to 5 30 minute cardio sessions...consistent. Boring but tried and true...thanks guys.

How do you know what maintenance is?

This is accurate. No one is gonna do it for you. Fitness pal app, start there, fitness pal will give you the amount of cals you need to lose weight and you can adjust your macros as you please. Then you can add the foods you want to eat accordingly.. start with 1g protein per body weight.

Slowly every week adjust. Add 3 25 min cardio sessions for a starter then adjust

How does fitness pal know what amount of calories he needs?

WOW....a lot of responses...thanks guys. Im 38 years old...Im a natural endomorph and gain fat easily. I've been down this road before. In the past I have jumped right into no carb and have lost tremendous amounts of weight fast. 20 pounds in a month, 30 pounds over two months, but since high school I had never let myself get this far overweight. Again, in the past I would cut carbs, continue to lift heavy and do LOTS of cardio and perform little mini miracles before almost every summer. I have not done this for about five years and it has left me where I am now. For the last four months every time I try this I get sick. The two appendectomies which I think were just bad luck, and the three straight sinus infections, which I think is my body telling me you cant do this balls to the wall shit anymore.

Gunsmith: yeah I've down the calorie count and macro counts before, logged it in my log book opposite page from my weight training (have been following DC training on and off for years). It's effective but not the kamikaze results I wanted.

Airhonn: Hahahahaha....and 600mg of DNP too!!! lol but seriously great advice....I will go read Big A's cutting diet thread!

Man o Steel: No carb because it has been effective in the past, 1800 because I did a calorie estimator (dont remember which one) online and it came back like 2500 a day. I went 700 calories a day less. I figured with 1500 a day in cardio and weights I was looking at approximately 5lbs a week weight loss.

I know this seems extreme its just that it's worked for me in the past. I've lurked this site for years and the information I have picked up is invaluable. Anyone who hasnt tried DC training I suggest buying the DVD from Dante it changed my weightlifting life. It's just this recent stretch has been very disvouraging. I think the best answer is I'm not going to pull off some crazy ass super fast cut.....will have to take it slow and do a more conventional calorie cut and moderate cardio. I guess....unless anyone has any other ideas?

Again....thanks to everyone

Why would you leave carbs out of his first and last meals?

In the morning you are in a fasted fat burning state , why spike insulin and stop that?? In the evening why have insulin present when you're going to bed and there is a better chance for fat storage.

I personally don't feel the carbs are "needed" except for during and directly after training

Archer: Yeah, intermittent fasting works great. I was doing that in conjunction with the no carb and was seeing great results. But I keep getting sick. Maybe I should just go back to the no carb and intermittent fasting and cut back on the training. I would do 1 or two 24 hour fasts per week. Again, weight melts off but I keep getting sick. Over and over. I get so god damn run down.

Gunsmith: I agree with everything you are saying. My best results were DC training combined with a carbless post workout. One carb meal before weight training Mon Weds Friday and no carbs rest of the week. I want to get back to that program but just think that I need to focus more on cutting weight first. I have like sixty pounds to lose. Also I have some serious back problems due to congenital spinal stenosis. I have figured out a good pain free cardio, stretching weight training program. I just need to drop the damn weight. I think typing all this out the problem seems very apparent. I know low carb and intermittent fasting work, I think I just need to cut down on the intense weight training and long cardio. Maybe moderate weight training and 30 min cardio sessions. It's just been very frustrating. Injures surgerys getting sick, chronic back issues. Tough year.

As expected, nobody has put attention to the most important thing while dieting: Nutrition. Health. Without health there is no bodybuilding. Or perhaps you can force it with drugs but don't ask why you had a heart attack at 40 like thousands of others drop in this country.

And this is the single biggest error in bodybuilding in my opinion. Bodybuuliding focus on macro nutrients, but RARELY on micronutrients. Your health has been a roller coaster and that is all traced back to poor nutrition growing up. And Im sure your nutrition is poor today. How many trace minerals you consume per day for example. How much of each essential fatty acid. How many ORAC points of antioxidants. I wouldnt even be surprised if you never heard the term ORAC. Welcome to the USA diet.

And that is why if you are really committed to get in this game while considering important your health, you NEED to hire a coach that will guide you with this plus training. You cant really succeed reading online forums and watching youtube. You need an expert with many years of experience. There are several coaches on this board, I have personally talked to Tenny and Mini Truck and they are what I would personally hire for me. They cover all the health aspects, they have decades of experience, and the investment is well worth it if again, you're committed to enjoy bodybuilding while being healthy.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws