over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

need help getting kid ready for football camp in 10 weeks

pillar3792

Registered
I am looking for training techniques to maximize combine numbers for bench press.

10 weeks is not long however I would look at joe de Franco west side for skinny bastards.

This routine is ideal for athletes and football players.

Here:

Used this 3 years ago when I was tryin out for D1 football team, just to improve the strength aspect for their combine style training used during tryouts.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How to Crush the 225 Bench Press
by Mike Boyle

BarbellBenchPress.gif (13233 bytes)I can say one thing with confidence about training an athlete to bench 225 for reps.

Throw your coaching techniques out the window.

What does that mean? Lets take a look.

1- Train for Endurance
For most athletes training for a combine-type test, the 225 bench press test is an endurance test not a strength test. It is common knowledge that the relationship between strength and endurance changes as the number of reps increases. I have seen athletes that can bench press 400 lbs do 225 for 20 reps and I have seen athletes who can bench press 350 pounds do the same number of reps. The key point, if you want to get better at reps, do reps.

2- Train for Strength
In point two, I can immediately contradict myself. The other reality is that up to a certain point you need to develop max strength. In the short run more strength actually can lead to more endurance. Sound confusing, not really. The reality is if your maximum bench press is 245 you will be lucky to bench 225 for 2. A 400-pound bencher has a far greater chance of doing 30 reps at 225 than a 300 bencher. What I’m saying is you need to work both ends of the spectrum. To get better at the 225-rep test you must train for both endurance and strength. Your max bench press number determines what you should be capable of. The high rep practice converts strength to useable endurance. Usually on our first pressing day we will work on max strength and finish with one endurance set, on the second pressing day we will work solely on endurance.

3-Practice.
This relates to both points one and two. The eastern Europeans have a saying. “If you want to be a great violinist, practice the violin”. You won’t get better at the 225 test by just lifting heavy. For the six to eight weeks prior to the combine we would perform a set of 225 for max reps at the end of our first pressing day. The goal would be to try to get 1 more rep each week.

4- Work on Technique
Technique matters, but not the technique you’re used to. This is what I meant about throwing out everything you normally do.

- I always tell my athletes to control the weight at all times, except when benching 225. When benching 225, I tell my athletes to go as fast as possible. - I always tell my athletes to lock out every rep, except when benching 225. When benching 225 for reps you want to appear to lock out the elbows after each rep without actually doing so. I call this a “soft lockout”. I instruct the athlete to switch from concentric to eccentric as fast as possible. In the process of switching I instruct them to go up as fast as possible, allow the elbows to extend almost to full extension and immediately reverse the action and get the bar back to the chest. Bringing the bar back to the chest is less of a controlled eccentric and more of a controlled drop. The bar should descend rapidly, using as little eccentric energy as possible but not bouncing off the chest. Lots of contradictions. I know as I said, I teach this a specific event having nothing in common with anything else I teach an athlete about strength training.

In other words, I want the athlete to do as many reps as possible, as fast as possible, with technique that is at best borderline. At no other time in the year would this be acceptable but the reality is that the best performances of this test are done in this style.

Pro scouts will not count reps that are done with a big bounce, an arch, or an obviously short arm action that comes well short of lockout. However, the “judging” of this test is entirely subjective and the best performances I have seen were always on the border of being unacceptable. The key is to learn to walk the line. This means fast reps with just a hint of a bounce, extending the arms almost to a fully locked position but not locking out until you need a rest.

Warm-up Strategies

Heavier loads- some coaches will advocate a warm-up set at a weight greater than 225 for 1 rep to get greater neural excitation. I believe this may work for athletes anticipating more than 20 reps but may be too taxing for those anticipating less than 20.

Lighter loads- I have always advocated a simple strategy based on my powerlifting experience. Two warm-up sets. 135 for 5 and 185 for 2 and then go for it.

The bottom line- Up to a point endurance is proportional to strength. You need to get as strong as possible. At the same time endurance is a skill. You need to work on endurance. The bottom line is to work on strength, endurance, and the specific skill of the test.

Training Suggestions

Lactic acid tolerance is a big factor. Coaches have had success with various forms of endurance training. Some coaches will have athletes train with lighter loads like 185 and 205 lbs. Some coaches will have athletes practice max reps at 235 so 225 will feel lighter on test day. I personally like drop sets on day 2.

Sample Workout

400 lb bench max- current max at 225 – 20

Week 1

Day 1
Bench
135x5
225x3
275x1
315x1
340x5
300x10
225x max

Day 2
Incline
135x5
185x3
225x5

Bench Drop set
225x max 185 x max 135 x max

The key is to understand that your athlete is training to impress a scout, not you. You need to allow technical flaws that are not acceptable at any other time of year or with any other group. Our job is to help our athletes make the best impression possible. Remember, practice, practice, practice.

Michael Boyle is one of the most respected professional strength coach's in the world.

10 weeks is not long however I would look at joe de Franco west side for skinny bastards.

This routine is ideal for athletes and football players.

Thats a good idea as well, dynamic and involves both endurance and power

10 weeks isn't going to make a difference in bench press for an already highly trained athlete, better to work on sprinting form and technique IMO.

Used this 3 years ago when I was tryin out for D1 football team, just to improve the strength aspect for their combine style training used during tryouts.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How to Crush the 225 Bench Press
by Mike Boyle

BarbellBenchPress.gif (13233 bytes)I can say one thing with confidence about training an athlete to bench 225 for reps.

Throw your coaching techniques out the window.

What does that mean? Lets take a look.

1- Train for Endurance
For most athletes training for a combine-type test, the 225 bench press test is an endurance test not a strength test. It is common knowledge that the relationship between strength and endurance changes as the number of reps increases. I have seen athletes that can bench press 400 lbs do 225 for 20 reps and I have seen athletes who can bench press 350 pounds do the same number of reps. The key point, if you want to get better at reps, do reps.

2- Train for Strength
In point two, I can immediately contradict myself. The other reality is that up to a certain point you need to develop max strength. In the short run more strength actually can lead to more endurance. Sound confusing, not really. The reality is if your maximum bench press is 245 you will be lucky to bench 225 for 2. A 400-pound bencher has a far greater chance of doing 30 reps at 225 than a 300 bencher. What I’m saying is you need to work both ends of the spectrum. To get better at the 225-rep test you must train for both endurance and strength. Your max bench press number determines what you should be capable of. The high rep practice converts strength to useable endurance. Usually on our first pressing day we will work on max strength and finish with one endurance set, on the second pressing day we will work solely on endurance.

3-Practice.
This relates to both points one and two. The eastern Europeans have a saying. “If you want to be a great violinist, practice the violin”. You won’t get better at the 225 test by just lifting heavy. For the six to eight weeks prior to the combine we would perform a set of 225 for max reps at the end of our first pressing day. The goal would be to try to get 1 more rep each week.

4- Work on Technique
Technique matters, but not the technique you’re used to. This is what I meant about throwing out everything you normally do.

- I always tell my athletes to control the weight at all times, except when benching 225. When benching 225, I tell my athletes to go as fast as possible. - I always tell my athletes to lock out every rep, except when benching 225. When benching 225 for reps you want to appear to lock out the elbows after each rep without actually doing so. I call this a “soft lockout”. I instruct the athlete to switch from concentric to eccentric as fast as possible. In the process of switching I instruct them to go up as fast as possible, allow the elbows to extend almost to full extension and immediately reverse the action and get the bar back to the chest. Bringing the bar back to the chest is less of a controlled eccentric and more of a controlled drop. The bar should descend rapidly, using as little eccentric energy as possible but not bouncing off the chest. Lots of contradictions. I know as I said, I teach this a specific event having nothing in common with anything else I teach an athlete about strength training.

In other words, I want the athlete to do as many reps as possible, as fast as possible, with technique that is at best borderline. At no other time in the year would this be acceptable but the reality is that the best performances of this test are done in this style.

Pro scouts will not count reps that are done with a big bounce, an arch, or an obviously short arm action that comes well short of lockout. However, the “judging” of this test is entirely subjective and the best performances I have seen were always on the border of being unacceptable. The key is to learn to walk the line. This means fast reps with just a hint of a bounce, extending the arms almost to a fully locked position but not locking out until you need a rest.

Warm-up Strategies

Heavier loads- some coaches will advocate a warm-up set at a weight greater than 225 for 1 rep to get greater neural excitation. I believe this may work for athletes anticipating more than 20 reps but may be too taxing for those anticipating less than 20.

Lighter loads- I have always advocated a simple strategy based on my powerlifting experience. Two warm-up sets. 135 for 5 and 185 for 2 and then go for it.

The bottom line- Up to a point endurance is proportional to strength. You need to get as strong as possible. At the same time endurance is a skill. You need to work on endurance. The bottom line is to work on strength, endurance, and the specific skill of the test.

Training Suggestions

Lactic acid tolerance is a big factor. Coaches have had success with various forms of endurance training. Some coaches will have athletes train with lighter loads like 185 and 205 lbs. Some coaches will have athletes practice max reps at 235 so 225 will feel lighter on test day. I personally like drop sets on day 2.

Sample Workout

400 lb bench max- current max at 225 – 20

Week 1

Day 1
Bench
135x5
225x3
275x1
315x1
340x5
300x10
225x max

Day 2
Incline
135x5
185x3
225x5

Bench Drop set
225x max 185 x max 135 x max

The key is to understand that your athlete is training to impress a scout, not you. You need to allow technical flaws that are not acceptable at any other time of year or with any other group. Our job is to help our athletes make the best impression possible. Remember, practice, practice, practice.

Michael Boyle is one of the most respected professional strength coach's in the world.

wow, thank bro I appreciate the detail and explanation. An increase in strength and explosiveness could make the difference between UMass and Boston College. The kid has the skill set, speed is improving last timed at 4.61. He is 6' 225 mlb

10 weeks isn't going to make a difference in bench press for an already highly trained athlete, better to work on sprinting form and technique IMO.

I agree, he responds really when we change up his routine. Currently working with the track coach concerning 40 start. Thanks for the advise keep it coming. He is like a sponge

you can make changes in 10 weeks, don't believe anything otherwise.

I would concentrate on cluster training with your bench as well as using weights higher than 225.

I hit 32 (225 rep test) my senior year and trained with 255 and 275 for reps.
We also did lots of clusters with short rest periods

225 x 10
timed rest period
225 x 10
timed rest period
225 x 5
timed rest period
225 x 5
timed rest period

I would also make sure he understands the importance of speed of the bar (dynamic part of BP). I would make sure he is trying to really explode off his chest on EVERY REP.

just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
I agree, he responds really when we change up his routine. Currently working with the track coach concerning 40 start. Thanks for the advise keep it coming. He is like a sponge

Plyometrics have the greatest ability to produce the most results in the shortest amount of time, because they condition the nerve to fire more muscle at once. This is an area that even a highly trained athlete might still have a lot of room for improvement.

The problem with plyos is they must be performed properly or they have little effect, you would want to find someone who has experience in this area for training, preferably someone with track and field experience.

1. You have to be "in the box". Are you 6'1" 220+ lbs, you can be and LB but not an OT.

2. You have be "on the board". Colleges needs to see you, so go to every camp you can. 40 and agility drill are what they want to see physically. Film is the biggest thing they will look at so show them your highlights, and then if they're interested they will want to see an entire game, preferably a loss to see how you perform in the 4th qtr.

My boy just signed on Wednesday and after spending the last few years of going through this, I can tell you that they are looking for athletes, not weightlifters.

Enjoy the journey and hopefully the payoff will be there for you...it's a friggin rush.

Thanks bro good insight, I appreciate the feedback. We have been everywhere on the east coast. He has done very well at the camps and combines. Any other info about the process you have would be much appreciated.

With the time frame youre dealing with, I would directly work on speed and acceleration. From a strength stand point, work on hamstring strength and development as well as explosive movements (i.e. box squats with chains, GHR with chains and bands).

Try and put some emphasis on lateral movement as well, not just a 40.

Dude, you're actually seeking advice online as to how to make your kid a better athlete? Why not just let him enjoy the game? Sounds like you're putting a lot of pressure on him.

Wow, you have no idea...

Did you know in the entire state of Texas, it is pretty much standard practice to hold boys back in school (start them late) so that they can be as old as possible their senior year and still play football? Do you know how much money a college football scholarship is worth?

Also, you obviously never played football at any competitive level, "enjoy the game"? Are you kidding me? That is like enjoying the most brutal workout ever, it might be satisfying, rewarding, but not "enjoyable."

Dude, you're actually seeking advice online as to how to make your kid a better athlete? Why not just let him enjoy the game? Sounds like you're putting a lot of pressure on him.

I can appreciate your viewpoint, however the kid has the skill set and the desire(d1 is his goal) to play at a high level. I never pressure him to play sports, he wants to be the best play with best. I want to help him fulfill his dreams. I treat sports the same way I treat academics, if I don't know the answer I will find someone who is smarter than I am to help him find the right answers for school. Thanks for post

Try and put some emphasis on lateral movement as well, not just a 40.

That's good stuff bro, he's has some pretty big legs. He has good hips and quick feet. I appreciate your input. were also working on his 40 start think we shave some time off there. pretty good top end football speed

When my cousin went to combine he went to a place in Texas to train and they did high weight low reps for a few sets then dropped down to 225 and ripped out as many as possible took a minute then did like 10 more..

As a former DI o-lineman I completely agree about the camps....seriously, go to as many as you can. ESPECIALLY if you are interested in that university. Some are padded, some are 1 day non-padded...doesn't matter.

It also has a lot to do with how his junior year went. I had a great junior year (better than my Sr.) in HS and went into these summer camps already somewhat known....coaches had seen my tape so when I performed at the camps, they offered right there....but some kids really have a coming-out-party their senior year. I've seen guys go from being relatively unknown, make an appearance at the camp and blow people away.

like Ulama said, it's a rush. There are highs and lows...he will start getting calls from coaches and then you can kinda see whose really interested.

When people ask for advice about recruiting I always tell them to look at EVERY OPTION. I made the mistake of basically telling everyone East of Colorado that I wasn't interested and I wanted to stay on the west coast....it was my mistake and I probably could have gotten MORE interest from awesome schools out there.

When people ask for advice about recruiting I always tell them to look at EVERY OPTION. I made the mistake of basically telling everyone East of Colorado that I wasn't interested and I wanted to stay on the west coast....it was my mistake and I probably could have gotten MORE interest from awesome schools out there.

This is great advice. With as often as colleges turn over their coaching staffs, you could find yourself offered by one, and then they leave and then the next one pull the offer. Do not limit yourself and if have the slightest inkling that the coach may be volatile, do not commit until signing day

Started the ten week sprint today with speed and agility coach. We got the initial stats down filmed the drills. The coach is identifying weaknesses and implementing a series of workouts to improve explosiveness and speed. Good first day overall.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
systemfiles1
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131