over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Need help w/ post workout meal

Cv215

Registered
Newbies
I get around 3k clean calories over the course of 5 meals daily. I allot myself around 400-600 calories a day for whatever.

Im very happy with my diet, its something I've kind of been tuning over the last decade lol.

The one area that i pretty much disregard is post workout nutrition. I basically just try to get home as soon as i can and eat a whole meal (which is my meal #2). The problem is sometimes it can take me a couple hours to get home because of errands.

I've never been a fan of supplements. I use to manage a gnc and that shit killed it for me.

Back in the day I use to use like 35grams of
whey protein, like 50 grams of dextrose, and i think like 30 grams of maltodextrin, i think some glutamine as well.

Is that what people still use? And are those the proper amounts? I honestly just cant remember. I dont follow supplement nutrition. Also, what "type" of protein is recommended nowadays? Isolate?

If there's any other recommendations for a good post workout shake to bring with me to the gym im all ears.

My old gym had a microwave and i would bring a meal with me, and when i finished training they let me nuke my food and sit at the counter and eat. Now i go to a box gym so that's not really possible.

Thanks.

I can't eat for a couple hours after training so I pop 20 Beverly Mass amino acids tabs and 10 Carnivor beef amino tabs with 5 grams L-leucine ASAP after the workout. Recovery has been great and I can cut down on the amount of protein I eat and still make gains that put a smile on my face

If I know I can't go straight home to eat I definitely pack a shake.
50-60g whey isolate and 50-60g carbs from something simple like Coco Krispy added to the shake.
If it's gonna be a couple hrs before I can eat I'll cut the carbs in half and all some fat from peanut butter.

My go to meal after training though is lean red meat and sweet potatoes

Really simple just make a meal and put it in tupperware. Even without a fridge it will be fine for a few hours. Just do chicken and rice with vegetables. You don't have to reheat it and it will taste just fine. If you cook it before you leave it will stay warm in the tupperware. If that isn't an option then just take a shaker with powder and add water postworkout and drink that. For a shake you could do whey isolate and hbcd's and/or powdered oats. It doesn't have to be complicated and any good quality protein and carb powder will do. If it's going to be a few hours before you eat again you could take some walnuts/cashews and keep them in your car and have them with the shake.

2 scoops whey with your favorite cereal.

Really simple just make a meal and put it in tupperware. Even without a fridge it will be fine for a few hours. Just do chicken and rice with vegetables. You don't have to reheat it and it will taste just fine. If you cook it before you leave it will stay warm in the tupperware. If that isn't an option then just take a shaker with powder and add water postworkout and drink that. For a shake you could do whey isolate and hbcd's and/or powdered oats. It doesn't have to be complicated and any good quality protein and carb powder will do. If it's going to be a few hours before you eat again you could take some walnuts/cashews and keep them in your car and have them with the shake.

Thanks brother, this is actually what i was doing when i first got to my new gym. I have a few of those Isobag food prep bags that work pretty well.

I was doing like 6-8oz tilapia, 3/4 cup jasmine, 85g mixed veggie. I would nuke it at like 75% time before i walked out the door and then throw it in my bag, and it would still be warm by the time i got in my car.

Honestly, i just got lazy and stopped doing it and just started waiting till i get home.

I guess the reason why i was interested in the shake is because my day already feels pretty full when it comes to meals and calories. I kind of liked the idea of using the shake as a means of supplementing a little more protein and calories, however the only time i can see myself drinking a shake is post workout. I would never put it in any other time of the day because I'm already eating whole meals.

I think i should probably just suck it up and add another whole meal and use that as my post workout leave the gym meal.
Protein powder gives me gas anyway.

I was pretty curious to see what everyone else was doing for their post workout meal also.

Thanks brother, this is actually what i was doing when i first got to my new gym. I have a few of those Isobag food prep bags that work pretty well.

I was doing like 6-8oz tilapia, 3/4 cup jasmine, 85g mixed veggie. I would nuke it at like 75% time before i walked out the door and then throw it in my bag, and it would still be warm by the time i got in my car.

Honestly, i just got lazy and stopped doing it and just started waiting till i get home.

I guess the reason why i was interested in the shake is because my day already feels pretty full when it comes to meals and calories. I kind of liked the idea of using the shake as a means of supplementing a little more protein and calories, however the only time i can see myself drinking a shake is post workout. I would never put it in any other time of the day because I'm already eating whole meals.

I think i should probably just suck it up and add another whole meal and use that as my post workout leave the gym meal.
Protein powder gives me gas anyway.

I was pretty curious to see what everyone else was doing for their post workout meal also.

Don't think you are selling yourself short having a shake especially post workout. The issue is just finding a protein and carb source you digest well. That's why I recommended a whey isolate. Although some even have issues with that so they may go the beef, egg or even pea route (don't try pea only protein :eek::D). As you alluded to it's just about effort. Anyone can prepare and have a meal ready but I understand sometimes you just can't be bothered. If that's the case the shake is just fine. I have shakes all the time but at home and they are different to what you would have at the gym. Well unless your gym has a blender you can use. I use a variety of fruit and usually some oats and whey isolate. I may even add nuts or an avocado if I want some fats in it.

Another quick post workout meal is cereal and a whey shake. Cereal is deemed bad by some but certain ones are actually fine for post workout and do the job well. Today I had a large bowl of cereal with coconut and rice milk and 2 scoops of protein in water on the side. Intra shakes are another possibility but quite frankly they digest so fast and you will need to eat post workout anyway. Today I had 30g amino's and 75g HBCD's intra workout and when I got home I had the cereal and whey ioslate straightaway.

If you need a meal replacement that could be taken after the gym you could try something like this...

https://professionalmusclestore.com/collections/meal-replacements/products/redcon1-mre

That is 52g protein, 62g carbs and 7g fat per serving which equals approx 530 calories. It's not like a typical MRP as the carbs are mainly rolled oats and the protein is beef protein isolate, salmon protein, chicken protein etc. It comes in some unusual flavours as well.

Sure, I like whole food, too, but protein powders are there for convenience. Don't worry about carrying a shaker bottle, just bag that whey protein so that it's dry when you want to use it. Mix whatever else you want in there in the powder, have a bottle of water handy and easy peazy lemon fuckin squeezy.

And maybe have a whole food meal later, maybe not. At the end of the day, it's really more about the number of available amino acids.

75 grams cocoa krispies with 50g whey isolate in shaker is my go to on the run PW Maybe throw a drizzle of organic honey depending where you are diet wise.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws