over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Need help with general nutrition info

Gunsmith

Featured Member / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
I've looked all over here and not been able to find what I'm searching for , maybe I diden't narrow down my search enough..

The nutritional aspect of dieting is ALOT more complicated than I thought , one of the guys I work with who has been watching what I'm doing and paying very close attention to what , when and why I'm eating what I am started asking me question and rather than say "because I was told to" I got to wondering also.
It started when I was making a meal and put a spoon full of EVOO on my cup and a half of raw broccoli he asked why i was using that instead of ranch dressing , he was looking at the back of both bottles and both are very very close to the same fat , carb and protine content , the ranch has 1 gram more carbs than the evoo that has none , the saturated fats were the same both total and saturated.

So i was wondering my self why coulden't ranch be used , it would sure as hell taste better

Also on the carbs , what makes some carbs worse than others , I know that their are the complex carbs and sugars but what makes say eating a piece of whole wheat bread so much better than a piece of white wheat bread , i've been told to stay away from "processed" foods like pretzles and such , and why are sugars from fruits so much better for you than say breads?

same guy asked me that if the diet called for simple carbs like from a banana or something , coulden't fruit juice be used or canned fruit like peaches?

I'm currently following a diet plan exactly like the "boss" planned it because he is alot smarter with this stuff than I am and I don't intend to deviate from his protocall what so ever but this all got me to thinking so I figured I'd ask

Good questions

I've looked all over here and not been able to find what I'm searching for , maybe I diden't narrow down my search enough..

The nutritional aspect of dieting is ALOT more complicated than I thought , one of the guys I work with who has been watching what I'm doing and paying very close attention to what , when and why I'm eating what I am started asking me question and rather than say "because I was told to" I got to wondering also.
It started when I was making a meal and put a spoon full of EVOO on my cup and a half of raw broccoli he asked why i was using that instead of ranch dressing , he was looking at the back of both bottles and both are very very close to the same fat , carb and protine content , the ranch has 1 gram more carbs than the evoo that has none , the saturated fats were the same both total and saturated.

So i was wondering my self why coulden't ranch be used , it would sure as hell taste better

Also on the carbs , what makes some carbs worse than others , I know that their are the complex carbs and sugars but what makes say eating a piece of whole wheat bread so much better than a piece of white wheat bread , i've been told to stay away from "processed" foods like pretzles and such , and why are sugars from fruits so much better for you than say breads?

same guy asked me that if the diet called for simple carbs like from a banana or something , coulden't fruit juice be used or canned fruit like peaches?

I'm currently following a diet plan exactly like the "boss" planned it because he is alot smarter with this stuff than I am and I don't intend to deviate from his protocall what so ever but this all got me to thinking so I figured I'd ask

This is basic nutrition.....ground level stuff......you need to learn this stuff on your own and not ask your trainer this stuff because it would take up their whole day......every day.....start reading books.....that will help...be pro active.

This is basic nutrition.....ground level stuff......you need to learn this stuff on your own and not ask your trainer this stuff because it would take up their whole day......every day.....start reading books.....that will help...be pro active.

Can anyone recommend some basic nutrition books then?

It'll have to wait till I'm not dieting , theirs no way I can read and fully absorb any usefull info in my current state , and I'm just a big redneck from Mississippi and that can't help right

Mr Hernon , any reccomendations on books or folks to look up to find books maybe to help filter through the mass of info out their?

I've read a ton of stuff here that has helped out alot , but I'm comming from a background where the "science" was if you want to get bigger you eat more , you want to loose weight you eat less and run some.

The more I get into this the more it seems that nutrition is the vast majority of quality size , training properly is up their but less than half and "supplemenets" is actualy a very small amout. In fact from what I'm learning the gains I'd like to make by this time next year are very possible to do drug free , that would sure save some funds and lord only knows what else

It'll have to wait till I'm not dieting , theirs no way I can read and fully absorb any usefull info in my current state , and I'm just a big redneck from Mississippi and that can't help right

Mr Hernon , any reccomendations on books or folks to look up to find books maybe to help filter through the mass of info out their?

I've read a ton of stuff here that has helped out alot , but I'm comming from a background where the "science" was if you want to get bigger you eat more , you want to loose weight you eat less and run some.

The more I get into this the more it seems that nutrition is the vast majority of quality size , training properly is up their but less than half and "supplemenets" is actualy a very small amout. In fact from what I'm learning the gains I'd like to make by this time next year are very possible to do drug free , that would sure save some funds and lord only knows what else

are you trying to get lean or add mass period?

rightnow I'm just trying to shed some bodyfat for a show in a month and i'm about 6-8 weeks out !! so I've got a very short very rough road but I think I can pull it off , maybe

next year I'd like to just ad some quality mass in the places that I'm lacking which has yet to be determined , but the bad news is comming soon. I don't want gain a ton of size cause its pretty hard to find regular cloths that fit half way decient , it seems that the current trend is for people to wear theur clothes very tight (which I'm not a big fan of) and since 2x is the basic biggest size typicaly carried and they fit tight , my cloths are getting tighter !!
and with the current economy I may have to get a second job as a stripper or man whore:eek:

#1 everyone is different, some guys can eat fruit as their only carb sources and get shredded, others can't. Some guys can get away with bread, while others cannot. Some logic behind your question is this; bread is made of yeast/flour, when yeast or flour hits water what does it do? It expands, hence bloats you. It's harder to digest. The ranch would not be a better choice because it has milk in it, generally you want to stay away from lactose or milk products when dieting, actually dairy altogether. If your show is 6-8 wks out, if it were me I would be doing no bread at all, not even wheat. The biggest difference in carbs is simple vs complex. A simple carb such as fruit juice or anything else predominately sugar is going to spike your insulin levels more, and elevated insulin levels have a direct correlation to excessive fat storage. This is why people who drink alot of soda throughout the day but often eat very little are still fat. A complex carb such as rice, potatos, oats, basically allows you to eat less carbs but have more energy throughout the day as these carbs hang around a little longer and you dont get the sudden insulin spike then the drop in blood sugar levels. Your body will convert glycogen stores (even complex) into all the sugar that it needs through its metabolic processes, that whole theory behind people needing sugar because their blood sugar is low, its Bullshit unless you have diabetic issues or are using insulin. I myself, do better off white potatoes and rice rather than brown rice or yams, dont ask me why but I get a harder and grainier look off white carb sources. Everyone is different, but as a rule of thumb if your feeling good at 6 wks out your doing something wrong. Most people def do not feel good as the show gets closer, you actually look your best when you feel the absolute shittiest, hahah

Just a quick tip for you........
All fats are not created equal. Yes fat is fat in terms of calories, but it is not always the same in terms of benefits. Nutrition 101!!

Just a quick tip for you........
All fats are not created equal. Yes fat is fat in terms of calories, but it is not always the same in terms of benefits. Nutrition 101!!

apparently everything else is like that also , differant carbs and how differant people use them , differant protines from differant sources and how differant bodys use them.
Its seems that dieting is a massive mixture of science , art , luck , voodoo , philosiphy and suffering in general.

apparently everything else is like that also , differant carbs and how differant people use them , differant protines from differant sources and how differant bodys use them.
Its seems that dieting is a massive mixture of science , art , luck , voodoo , philosiphy and suffering in general.
Nah, Just a good understanding of macro nutrients and combining. Some trial and error and yes.......lot's of suffering!! LOL

i have always thought that fruits and veggies were faster absorbing and processing carbs, and bread and starches were slower and more likely to store as fat??? therefore cut fat with fruits and bulk with starches?

old fella?

i have always thought that fruits and veggies were faster absorbing and processing carbs, and bread and starches were slower and more likely to store as fat??? therefore cut fat with fruits and bulk with starches?

old fella?

Thats my latest understanding ,but I'm sure that I'll learn somthing new in the next few days that will either scew or off set that line of thought. But 3 weeks ago I was eating all the broccoli , green beans and spinach I could stuff down with a chicken breast thinking that those carbs were free and not to be counted but this week it seems that anything that's not LBA's , EVOO is considered carbs and I'm strickly limited to those , a few weeks ago I would have never counted a 1.5-2 cups of vegies as carbs at the same value as say a banana like this week.

Like oldfella said their has to be alot of trial and error to taylor a diet for each person

If it were easy verybody would look like us (well yall mostly) right?

One name...

Phil Hernon. Gunsmith, you've helped me in a diff. way in the past and I'm letting you know who could do anyone well in this situation...He makes it EZ and takes care of ya for sure man!!!

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Pdx236
NapsGear