YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Need hernia surgery couple questions about that and also about insurance....pls & ty!

FrancisK

Verified Customer
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Verified Customer
Long story short I have an umbilical hernia. Some days it's fine and some days it bothers me, I can push it in and it feels better but some days it stays in and some days it pops right back out and bothers me. It seems to be very slowly getting worse, I've had it for a long time and I need to get it fixed.

Can anyone with experience tell me what I'm in for here? What questions should I be asking or things i should belooking out for? Besides that what is the recovery like? How long am i bed ridden for, how long until I can go back to the office....how long until I'm back in the gym? I know this is all generally speaking and subjective just looking to get an idea.

Also my insurance sucks! I remember I used to pay $70 a month for full coverage everything because I don't have any issues and go to a doctor once in a blue moon, I even get blood work myself. Well that has certainly changed since the affordable care act, don't think I need to elaborate on that.

Last year I paid about $300 a month for blue cross but it was an hmo with a high deductible and nobody accepted it. How does $300 a month insurance not cover anything?!

Well now I have Molina which appears to be even worse, I pay $320 a month but my insurance guy put me into it because I have a $0 deductible so I won't get killed on the surgery. But what does that matter if nobody takes it?!

The guy I want to see who has glowing reviews that someone at my gym recommended me to doesn't take Molina of course, he also didn't take my blue cross hmo.

So what do I do here? Change my insurance, is that even a thing, or just find someone who takes my garbage Molina? If it's the latter how do I even find someone....just starting googling reviews and see if they accept Molina?

Another wrinkle in this is that my amazing doctor whose father and then mother and now the son were my doctors since I was born just completely shut everything down when his mom got sick. I don't even have a primary care doc to refer me to anyone....

What a mess, thanks for any help fellas!

Your insurance, it sounds like it’s not through a company you work for, correct? Like you’re self employed.

I pay $425/month for me and the chitlins through work! Work pays the other half; not sure what that amount is… With mine being through work I’m locked in for the full year till renewal time comes back around. Mines UMR and I’ve never had an issue finding someone to take mine.

I’ve never personally had any hernias so I can’t help in regards to the surgery. It seems to be a common surgery though. Hopefully you can find a surgeon close by that takes your insurance.

However, it sounds like you’re gonna struggle w/Molina. They (Molina) should have a website where you can find all the doctors that accept their coverage.

Cage

I can't help with your insurance questions but for a repair I had a shouldice technique done with my repair by Dr. Grishkan in Cleveland. Mine turned out good and down time was minimal. (he did butcher Phil's pretty good though).

I was back training upper body in 4-5 days and legs (ham curls and leg ext only in about a week). I waited about 4-5 weeks before I added in some very light high rep leg pressing.

My friend also had a local guy do a shouldice and his turned out well. Both of our have held up for about 3 years just fine. A traditional umbilical repair using mesh will put you out much longer and will be a more painful recovery.

Your insurance, it sounds like it’s not through a company you work for, correct? Like you’re self employed.

I pay $425/month for me and the chitlins through work! Work pays the other half; not sure what that amount is… With mine being through work I’m locked in for the full year till renewal time comes back around. Mines UMR and I’ve never had an issue finding someone to take mine.

I’ve never personally had any hernias so I can’t help in regards to the surgery. It seems to be a common surgery though. Hopefully you can find a surgeon close by that takes your insurance.

However, it sounds like you’re gonna struggle w/Molina. They (Molina) should have a website where you can find all the doctors that accept their coverage.

Cage

Yea self employed, they do have a website but I'm worried they're all low tier doctors.

I don't know if I should go do my DD and pick the best one or if I should be changing my insurance, if that's even a thing I can do on the fly..

I can't give much advice on the insurance.
As far as umbilical hernia repair, I've had 3. On the 3rd one I had the mesh installed. No training for 4 weeks.
The doc then released me due to speedy healing (200mg test enanthate per week).
You will feel the pain when you strain to take a crap.
You will really feel it when you sneeze.
You will have to roll on your side and push with your arm to get out of bed.
Take your time and heal.

I can't give much advice on the insurance.
As far as umbilical hernia repair, I've had 3. On the 3rd one I had the mesh installed. No training for 4 weeks.
The doc then released me due to speedy healing (200mg test enanthate per week).
You will feel the pain when you strain to take a crap.
You will really feel it when you sneeze.
You will have to roll on your side and push with your arm to get out of bed.
Take your time and heal.

Thank you

How long were you bedridden for? How long until you could get around and do something for instance like office work?

Also why did you need 3?

I had 3 because I didn't give myself time to heal. Did the first one (no mesh installed - around 1980).
Back at work after a couple of days. I was walking around normal after about 4 days. Got active 3 weeks later and tore it.
Had the second one right after that (no mesh installed - around 1980).
Again, I was walking around normal after about 4 days. Got active about 5 weeks after that and tore open again.
Waited for 9 years before having the 3rd surgery. I lifted heavy during that time (squatting 500, deadlifting 550). It didn't hurt so I wasn't in a hurry to have surgery.
I decided to start olympic lifting again so I had the 3rd one fixed (had the mesh installed - 1989). Went to the office right after surgery. Could even raise my legs (they must've shot painkillers in my abs). It was out patient surgery and I was walking around pain free.
It did stiffen up for a day. Walking around normal after 2-3 days.
Working out after 2 weeks, mainly shrugs, curls, lateral raises, bench presses with feet on bench, no overhead work, squats, leg presses or deadlifts, nothing that would stretch the abs or build up internal pressure.
Took my test enan 200mg per week. Went to the doc 4 weeks post surgery and he was shocked that I had healed. He released me. The mesh did the trick.
Never bothered me again. That was in 1989. Went on to lift a lot more.
Just remember, sneezing will probably be the most painful. Just tighten your abs before you sneeze.
You will be bent over for a couple of days when walking due to being sewn up at the belly button. No big deal. You'll be fine, especially if you speed up your healing.

I can't help with your insurance questions but for a repair I had a shouldice technique done with my repair by Dr. Grishkan in Cleveland. Mine turned out good and down time was minimal. (he did butcher Phil's pretty good though).

I was back training upper body in 4-5 days and legs (ham curls and leg ext only in about a week). I waited about 4-5 weeks before I added in some very light high rep leg pressing.

My friend also had a local guy do a shouldice and his turned out well. Both of our have held up for about 3 years just fine. A traditional umbilical repair using mesh will put you out much longer and will be a more painful recovery.

I'm going to have Dr. Grishkan do mine in the winter. Reaching out this week to get it scheduled early.

What does he do differently that had you back training so quickly? I've heard the samething from everyone that has used him.

After my umbilical hernia surgery I was doing cardio 3 days later and lifting weights 9 days later. Always wear a weight belt with the wide back part in front over your belly button with a towel wrapped around it for added pressure over the area.
Surgeon told me stay on AAS and HGH. Speeds up healing dramatically. He said no weights for 30 days but I couldn’t do it. I told him I compete and can’t have a scar so he used the thinnest available titanium sutures and definitely don’t get mesh. Mesh can lead to issues and your abs won’t look right if you compete. My hernia stuck out like a finger. I pushed it in for a year but it kept growing and felt very uncomfortable. The surgery was very easy and recovery was quick. I had an incredible surgeon. His son was a bodybuilder so he was comfortable with all the AAS and such. The surgeon is everything. I’ve seen some terrible surgery results from others who compete.

No experience but wanted to wish you the best.

I also need surgery for 2 small hernia. One is an umbilical and the other is a small inguinal on right side of pelvic bone. Both are small but do bother me every now and then. Also the belly button is a bit visible so yeah the aesthetics is an issue. I’m in Cebtral NJ an just moved here and hoping someone may know a doctor in Middlesex County they can recommend. Also to the OP, best of luck with you and hopefully you won’t have to pay a small fortune to get a very routine surgery. Luckily I’m insured but I do have some out of pocket.

I'm going to have Dr. Grishkan do mine in the winter. Reaching out this week to get it scheduled early.

What does he do differently that had you back training so quickly? I've heard the samething from everyone that has used him.

He was able to do a Shouldice for mine just using sedation and local.

When doing general Anesthesia they blow your abdomen up with gas for a mesh repair the recovery is different/longer.

If I remember correctly, we discussed during the consult that he would repair it as he felt was necessary once he opened me up.

I ended up have 3 small hernias and a diastasis rip repaired.

He said if he would have done mesh, the mesh would be stronger than the surrounding tissue and just would have most likely re-tore at the edge where the mesh attached.

Before I went to sleep, I just said "make it look pretty". It turned out good and has been solid for 3 years. Who knows how long it will last but I'm happy so far.

Recovery wasn't bad pain wise. I took 1 pain med in the late afternoon and I hate pain meds and said fuck it as I didn't really need them anyways.

I'm in Michigan a few hour drive at most or a very short flight to Cleveland. Is there any specific reason why I should deal with that headache and go see Grishkan, do you believe he did something that just a random good doctor couldn't also do? Also was he covered by your insurance?

I'm in Michigan a few hour drive at most or a very short flight to Cleveland. Is there any specific reason why I should deal with that headache and go see Grishkan, do you believe he did something that just a random good doctor couldn't also do? Also was he covered by your insurance?
I paid out of pocket.

My buddy used a local guy that did a Shouldice. Same guy also did his gyno. I didn't know his guy did umbilical hernias as I had mine repaired before he developed his so I never asked him.

You could look around for someone local to see if anyone close is doing the Shouldice. It's not that popular as most surgeons will do laproscopic or robotic.

I'm just not a big fan of general anesthesia. I feel that it can lead to early onset dementia and also you can have pain for a few months up to the shoulders after they blow you up with the gas.

Just my .02

I had umbilical hernia surgery 17 years ago by a General surgeon. He put in a mesh plug then double meshed it because he knew I was a competitive bodybuilder. It was actually the easiest surgery I have ever had.

He used 4 staples and I only have a tiny half moon scar. Hardly any pain after the surgery. No pain taking a bowel movement or sitting up. He told me to stay out of the gym for 4 weeks.

He had me come to his office once a week and he would remove one staple. After the last staple he said I was good to go. I have had no problem with it since.

I also need surgery for 2 small hernia. One is an umbilical and the other is a small inguinal on right side of pelvic bone. Both are small but do bother me every now and then. Also the belly button is a bit visible so yeah the aesthetics is an issue. I’m in Cebtral NJ an just moved here and hoping someone may know a doctor in Middlesex County they can recommend. Also to the OP, best of luck with you and hopefully you won’t have to pay a small fortune to get a very routine surgery. Luckily I’m insured but I do have some out of pocket.
Dr David Dupree in Redbank. Do your research on him if you want. Great surgeon and a gentleman. Your welcome.

I had mesh put in back in 2016. Still doing great. Don't sneeze for the first weeks, hurts like a bastard. Also, the colace the give you to not get constipated is worthless. Take something more powerful, last thing you want is to have to strain on the can.

Nawww I'm actually in the market for another one, that or a lambo....
That’s dope. I’m out the super car game for a minute. Working on building a new house in Louisiana and buying a condo in Boca/Delray. Once I get all the mortgage shit settled I might scoop up a M8 coupe. But very happy with just the Denali for now.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131