over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

negative speed of reps

kidstuff

Registered
negative speed has been something i've been giving a lot of thought to recently. I have been reading a lot about low-volume high-intensity routines, such as Big_A's article here, and all of Doggcrapps writings from the original cycles for pennies, as well as some of mentzers stuff.

apart from all of them being low-volume, another recurring theme is slow negatives. anywhere between 3-5 seconds. not a 3-5 count, but 3-5 whole seconds... when you've got 275lbs on the incline, this seems like an eternity. (doggcrapp went as far as reccommending an 8 second negative, which he didn't mean literally, but an 8 counts, which translates to about 3 true seconds.)

now, I also watch a lot of pro training videos. and from what it seems, the pros put NO emphasis on the eccentric portion of the rep. I've got videos of ronnie levrone and king kamali these guys just seem to let gravity drop the weight, a negative of less than 1 second. then videos of guys like cutler, preist, these guys control the weight on the way down, but have about a 1 second negative. THe only pro with a true slow concentric i've seen (in video) is dorian who has a 2 or more second negative on most reps.

now, is this just another example of the pros astounding genetics and how they can pretty much lift any way they want and get the same results, OR is there something else at play.

for example, by not concentrating on the negative some pros can use much heavier weights, with a much more explosive motion, which requirts a far greater portion of the fast twitch type fibers, and thus equals more growth?

this has me scratching my head:confused: :confused: :confused:

Thanks for the link.

lift big weights+food = grow
Big weights are best moved quickly...

You guys complicate this way too much.

My expereince is to control the negative and pause briefly explode back up pause briefly repeat works best for me.
I don't think people should train sloppy, as most of us aren't ronnie and he'd grow bagging groceries.
There are some uses to TUT techniques, especially if you wannna keep the intensity of the exercise (set) up and lower the weight used-but for the most part people should train controlling the weight and not counting secs and lowering.

The above posts sum it up nicely. Don't overthink it. Control the weight on the way down to limit injury chances. Pause to eliminate momentum if you are a BB. Or don't if you have PL goals or other. And perform the concentric portion as fast a possible. It doesn't need to be any more complicated than that.

Spend your time between sets thinking about ways to afford the food you need to eat, not about how fast your rep speed should be.

Girth said:
Spend your time between sets thinking about ways to afford the food you need to eat, not about how fast your rep speed should be.

funny you say that. i usually get panic attacks at night over how i'm going to afford all the food, supplements and drugs i need.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Itisisaysme510
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws