over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

nephrologist visit

Killer.7

Registered
Hey guys I figured I would start a new thread. Just saw the nephrologist the other day because we found protein in my urine during my regular checkups. I wanted to investigate it further obviously. I was a bodybuilder for 8 years or so using and abusing peds. I no longer bodybuild but simply workout for fitness and fun as well as trying to maintain my current mass. I am 235lbs now and im running 500 mgs of test a week. I am open to dropping this further.

During my bbing stints i would ignore my bp and largely let it go unchecked. Currently my BP hovers around the high 120s and low 130s over 80ish. Depending. I was taking perindopril 4mgs for a month then came off as I wanted to try to control my BP "naturally" I am in Canada so the drugs are "free" I am willing to go back on if you guys recommend it.

As far as the doctor goes he told me to stay off for now as he does not want to the drugs to mask my results. We are doing more testing in Janurary to see where I am at. He wants me to make lifestyle changes first. Basically he said cut sodium hard and drop your protein intake to 110-100 grams a day which to me seems nuts. Currently I eat around 230-250 grams of protein per day.

Kidney ultrasound came back clean but the doctor mentioned potentially doing a biopsy to check for kidney scarring or auto immune diseases

my 24 hour urine test showed 1.49 grams per day and 0.24 grams per liter. Blood Creatinine is 122umol/l and egfr is 69

All other markers are in range, cholesterol, triglycerides, glucose, liver values ect.

Currently running coq-10, astralagus, chitosan and im going to start NAC.

Hey guys I figured I would start a new thread. Just saw the nephrologist the other day because we found protein in my urine during my regular checkups. I wanted to investigate it further obviously. I was a bodybuilder for 8 years or so using and abusing peds. I no longer bodybuild but simply workout for fitness and fun as well as trying to maintain my current mass. I am 235lbs now and im running 500 mgs of test a week. I am open to dropping this further.

During my bbing stints i would ignore my bp and largely let it go unchecked. Currently my BP hovers around the high 120s and low 130s over 80ish. Depending. I was taking perindopril 4mgs for a month then came off as I wanted to try to control my BP "naturally" I am in Canada so the drugs are "free" I am willing to go back on if you guys recommend it.

As far as the doctor goes he told me to stay off for now as he does not want to the drugs to mask my results. We are doing more testing in Janurary to see where I am at. He wants me to make lifestyle changes first. Basically he said cut sodium hard and drop your protein intake to 110-100 grams a day which to me seems nuts. Currently I eat around 230-250 grams of protein per day.

Kidney ultrasound came back clean but the doctor mentioned potentially doing a biopsy to check for kidney scarring or auto immune diseases

my 24 hour urine test showed 1.49 grams per day and 0.24 grams per liter. Blood Creatinine is 122umol/l and egfr is 69

All other markers are in range, cholesterol, triglycerides, glucose, liver values ect.

Currently running coq-10, astralagus, chitosan and im going to start NAC.

Kidney failure for muscles is more nuts :)

Not trying to be an ass; but be transparent with your doctor, and first listen to his recommendations.

These levels will be skewed due to your size and activity level, I wouldn't freak out too much. And dropping your protein won't make you shrink, just up your carbs and fat.

Take your BP every morning, and periodically during the day with a proper BP cuff, and record the values throughout the week to get an understanding where they sit. Bunch of different things can throw it off; remember we're aiming for chronic values, not acute.

I'm assuming you might do cardio if you train for general fitness; do you have adequate potassium, magnesium, and calcium intake? If the doc needs to put you on BP meds; he will I'm assuming. A cystatin C test might be worth mentioning to your doc.

C reactive protein? Ya we did that, my reading was well in range. We also tested for lupus and rhumatoid stuff. Both came back negative.

Yes I am doing cardio and im willing to do whatever it takes to keep myself healthy obvi. Was just lookig for more input.

What do you guys think of my creatinine/egfr and the protein in urine? Possible scarring from past abuse?

I think there is a very good chance there is nothing wrong with your kidneys and you are having the "standard bodybuilder kidney scare."

Your blood creatinine is pretty normal for someone your size. Several points:

That eGFR is based on a body surface area of 1.72, you are likely over 2, so your eGFR would be much higher.

Blood in your urine could have been normal from working out or a bad reading if it was a dipstick reading. You should definitely get a repeat test on this.

I don't think you are ever going to get the "answers" you are looking for, you are just going to have to proceed cautiously and hope for the best, there isn't any testing that is going to give you a "green light" on the kidneys, I totally get what you are looking for, unfortunately, diagnosing kidney health is in a primitive stage, until you get to VERY low function.

I think there is a very good chance there is nothing wrong with your kidneys and you are having the "standard bodybuilder kidney scare."

That eGFR is based on a body surface area of 1.72, you are likely over 2, so your eGFR would be much higher.

Blood in your urine could have been normal from working out or a bad reading if it was a dipstick reading. You should definitely get a repeat test on this.

I don't think you are ever going to get the "answers" you are looking for, you are just going to have to proceed cautiously and hope for the best, there isn't any testing that is going to give you a "green light" on the kidneys, I totally get what you are looking for, unfortunately, diagnosing kidney health is in a primitive stage, until you get to VERY low function.

Sorry just to correct you. No blood in the urine, was protein. We did a random urinalysis plus a 24 hour urine collection. And will be repeating this tests again in mid Janurary.

As stated above, a cystatin C test wold be a good idea.

Thanks for this info/advice.

I have been going to a nephrologist for several years now. My latest eGFR was 42, which always concerns me. Not once has they done a crystatin C test, it seems being a big guy that this would be a no brainer but I pulled my old tests and do not see it anywhere. I have done 24 hour tests a few times, I did the calculations and the GFR comes out to around 56 (corrected for BSA).
Which is better for a large guy, a 24 hour urine testing or a Crystatin C test for accuracy?

Sorry just to correct you. No blood in the urine, was protein. We did a random urinalysis plus a 24 hour urine collection. And will be repeating this tests again in mid Janurary.

Hi Bro, check out Kidney "STUFF" supplement @
https://www.goldenstandards.com/

There are a lot of really positive reviews.

your brother in Christ,

Lucky

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
jd08
NapsGear