over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Nerve damage recovery ?

Iceman1800

Registered
I am battling a nerve issue right now. C6/C7 in my neck, left tricep is basically useless and right side is getting an epidual next week. I'm not looking for medical advice, been seeing doctors during the whole ordeal. My doc said the left tricep is good to go now nerve wise but the strength has gone from being able to put a 100# db overhead to around a 30# db. Other than the obvious exercises, what else can I do to get the strength back? I just run around 200mg test cyp per week right now.

You just got to keep working bro i broke my neck c-3 - c-8 and my injury level was c-5 asia a for a while i xouldnt even go against gravity the best thing i found that worked for me was doing negatives im now functioning at c-8

Ever since I can remember I haven't been able to feel my reps in my left pec nearly as well as in my right. When I try to flex my left pec most of it stays soft and doesn't contract very hard. I shot some igf-des into it pre and post workout (20mcgs) about 3 weeks ago for 2 weeks and it grew for the first time in months, I don't think it made the nerves grow or anything but it definitely helped it catch up to my right pec in terms of size. While working out I could actually feel a good contraction. Just got another bottle so maybe after a little more experimentation I'll get better results. Hope this helped, good luck.

Excellent subject that is not talked about much

Iceman, I am dealing with the same with my left bicep/delt. I had cervical fusion surgery 3 months ago (C4-C6) to correct bone spurs and disc degeneration. I had a lot of pressure being put on those nerve roots. My left bicep/delt strength plummeted within a day or two after the onset of my symptoms. I went from curling a #50 dumbell on a preacher bench to being barely able to curl a #10 2 days later. Post-op, I am back up to #25-30. I told my doctor that it felt like someone had unplugged the muscle. He said basically that’s what happened. No nerve stimulus, no muscle. Period.

3 things I have gathered to facilitate nerve recovery:
1) L-Carnitine helps nerve regeneration. Even my PT guy tells me this is good. I take 1.5- 2 grams a day spread over three doses throughout the day. TP has this in bulk.
Acetyl-L-carnitine improves pain, nerve regenerati... [Diabetes Care. 2005] - PubMed result

2) Optimal IGF levels are excellent for nerve recovery :)

3) I have a PT guy showing me how to train without putting stress on the cervical vertebrae (no extending my neck out, keeping my head/neck in a neutral position with chin tucked) He tells me that everything does come back, but nerve regeneration is slow, takes time and providing good, consistant stimulus to that muscle is critical for that to happen. Just like jrod says.

Good luck brother. I know exactly what you are saying.

Glad i am not alone (well not glad you guys got hurt too but you know). For me the only thing that worked was time and persistence. My damage was at c4/c5 pain was excruciating. I refused surgery, maybe not the best ideea in retrospect but thats what i did. Has taken me about one year to get back to anywhere near where i was. Its maddening i know that, my right arm went from 21" to 19" in a very short period of time and my pec on the right side just hang off like it wasn't attached. The day after it happened, i could not do one pushup, the day before i was doing sets of bench with 315. In a way it was a good experience in that I realized that at any time this can be taken away so you bettter not bet the farm on it.

Glad i am not alone (well not glad you guys got hurt too but you know). For me the only thing that worked was time and persistence. My damage was at c4/c5 pain was excruciating. I refused surgery, maybe not the best ideea in retrospect but thats what i did. Has taken me about one year to get back to anywhere near where i was. Its maddening i know that, my right arm went from 21" to 19" in a very short period of time and my pec on the right side just hang off like it wasn't attached. The day after it happened, i could not do one pushup, the day before i was doing sets of bench with 315. In a way it was a good experience in that I realized that at any time this can be taken away so you bettter not bet the farm on it.

Morepain, did your pain symptoms hit you suddenly? Mine did. One day I was fine and the next day, I was not fine with intense pain with all the classic nerve damage signals. How did you get your pain under control without surgery? Glad you have made progress.

you have to be real patient and you can do it. you will have to learn to modify your training for a while but youd be surprised what you can pull off with the right focus. i highly recomend IGF-1 for nerve regeneration, it worked wonders for me with results coming in only a couple weeks

Morepain, did your pain symptoms hit you suddenly? Mine did. One day I was fine and the next day, I was not fine with intense pain with all the classic nerve damage signals. How did you get your pain under control without surgery? Glad you have made progress.

everyone told me i would need surgery....even my chiro said that it was prob gonna be necessary. The pain was so bad (and yes it started overnight) that i could not sleep for nearly a week. i actually got to sleep by propping myself up in the corner of a room for an hour or two max. Laying down was actually the worst. I ended up using prednisone dose packs to get the inflammation under control, then just very gently chiro...tons of ice therapy...lots of time...im still not right but the pain is gone. I doubt i will ever get back to where i was strength wise and honestly im pretty much over it. Too many near misses over the last 30 years. From this point forward im just focusing on my health and warding off old age as best i can. If i had to point to one thing that helped most...without a doubt ice massaging and ice packs at night.

you have to be real patient and you can do it. you will have to learn to modify your training for a while but youd be surprised what you can pull off with the right focus. i highly recomend IGF-1 for nerve regeneration, it worked wonders for me with results coming in only a couple weeks

i agree, this is the only period in a long time that i allowed myself to ramp back up the anabolics/GH/peptides...without it i would have shrunk up severely i am sure. I honestly lost very little over all mass. Now that the arm is working again i can get them back to a respectable 20" or so i am sure, but im just not obsessed like i was in my 20's. I always told myself when i hit 40 it was time to drop teh excess size and get healthy. Well that happens in about 4 months so its all good.

IGF, L-Carnitine and NeuroBion will be good. Do some stretching called nerve stretch.

Last edited:
everyone told me i would need surgery....even my chiro said that it was prob gonna be necessary. The pain was so bad (and yes it started overnight) that i could not sleep for nearly a week. i actually got to sleep by propping myself up in the corner of a room for an hour or two max. Laying down was actually the worst. I ended up using prednisone dose packs to get the inflammation under control, then just very gently chiro...tons of ice therapy...lots of time...im still not right but the pain is gone. I doubt i will ever get back to where i was strength wise and honestly im pretty much over it. Too many near misses over the last 30 years. From this point forward im just focusing on my health and warding off old age as best i can. If i had to point to one thing that helped most...without a doubt ice massaging and ice packs at night.

Wow, this sounds like a carbon copy of my situation. I could not sleep at all because of the pain. There was NO position I could get in to get comfortable. My chiro helped some too before I broke down and went to a neck/spine ortho doc. The prednisone pack helped the most for me too. Made a huge difference in the pain. Your outlook on all this sounds like me. Glad you are better.

this is a great thread, i had this happen to me a couple months ago, lost an inch in my arm and my right pec and lat strength went down hill fast, started seeing an Active Release Therapist (ART) and they work specifically on nerve damage and after 7 sessions strength is coming back, also i get massages on a monthly basis and I have had to do a ton of high rep work in my tricep/lat/pec. THe pain has diminished but now it is more of pressure build up on the bench press...definitely needs time and patience

I am a year out from the same exact nerve damage. The strength is 90% back but I still can't flex the bicep or pec properly. Time does heal but I doubt we will ever be 100% again

agreed...it sux but its also humbled me in some beneficial ways. I always try to look at the bright side. I know what you mean though the muscle belly is just not the same , probably never will be

My injury was quite different than many of you who have commented, but nerve damage was a huge part of it. I completely dislocated my knee blowing out all my ligaments, Iliotibial Band, and hamstring....basically leaving my tibia on top of my femur about 8 inches higher than its original location. Well, that obviously caused nerve damage in my leg to a point where I was unable to move any part of my leg for nearly 3 months, but most of it did come back. I still have little to no activity in my Vastus Medialis Obligue, so the leg looks goofy as shit. Nerves regenerate something like 3-5mm per/day depending on the size, so it takes some time. My damage was in the femural nerve, so I had to relearn how to use my leg. Someone mentioned l-carnitine...thats what my PT's put me on along with basic leg exercises, and a tens unit. Basically, there are no special excersises that will help the nerve regenerate faster, so my advice is to work your ass off retraining the muscle and be patient. Oh, one thing I did was use my tens unit while I was doing my leg excersises, which seemed to help me increase the weight and ultimately build that muscle back up. The tens unit will also help a little bit with the pain. Hope this helps!

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws