over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Neuter a male yes or no?

comedycentral

Registered
we have rescued a male rott. approx 2 years old.

he was very neglected and underweight, he is coming on nicely and putting on size as i assume his hormone levels are back up and running.

he is pretty good with other dogs however sadly yesterday another dog charged at him, mine on his leash the other off and they ended up fighting.

then today same thing happened again today,

i hate owners that let there dogs just run at other dogs with no control.

im worried now he feels he needs to be on the defensive from the start.

i dont want a dog that fights or shows any tendency for aggresion.

i taking him to classes etc

im not bothered about a big dog or heavily muscled etc i just want a healthy dog thats calm in the house and social settings and likes to go for long hikes in the woods.

please keep bodybuilder (test is best) opinions out of it and tell me what you all think as dog owners will neuter calm him yes/no??

he was very neglected and underweight, he is coming on nicely and putting on size as i assume his hormone levels are back up and running.

he is pretty good with other dogs however sadly yesterday another dog charged at him, mine on his leash the other off and they ended up fighting.

im not bothered about a big dog or heavily muscled etc i just want a healthy dog thats calm in the house and social settings and likes to go for long hikes in the woods.

please keep bodybuilder (test is best) opinions out of it and tell me what you all think as dog owners will neuter calm him yes/no??

Every dog Ive owned 4 Rotts 1 lab and 2 Bullmastiffs (all males except for one of the Bullies) have all been neutered except for the bullie I have now. I didnt see any major differences in aggression (none of the dogs had aggression issues) didnt really see a much calmer dog. When I spoke to my vet about not neutering my dog she explained that many times the vets feel it is best to neuter as the dogs will more than likely get testicular cancer and when they do-the age theyre at makes them poor candidates for sugery. Im not a vet and im just repeating what my vet told me. But as I posted earlier I havent noticed any major changes in all of my dogs. I feel that aggressive dogs will always be aggressive dogs-same goes for hyper dogs. If the dogs is outside with out a leash (sounds like your isnt) then obviously there is the birth control issue-but that would apply to your dog. If it were me I would keep his nuts right where they are.

Just like with humans, a dog who has been charged by an aggressor has the right to defend himself. In a dominant natured breed (like Rott), expect that dog to defend himself no matter what. Shame on the other dog owner. I have to Akitas, they are bred to hunt and kill. They have hurt a few dogs that have charged them, but I have no feelings of sorrow for a person who lets their dogs run around like crazy when mine are always on leash. What happened is not your dogs fault, nor is it a sign of uncontrolled aggression from him.

Neutering will not change this, but you should neuter. To learn more why just Google should I neuter my dog?

thanks guys.

it does bug the shit out of me when people just let there dogs come blasting up no control and they are nowhere to be seen.

the problem in the UK the rottie has a bad enough rep as it is and when people see him growling at another dog they automatically assume its my boy despite the fact he is leashed and the other is running wild.

i will have him done though it looks like it is better for there health. he does show domminant tendancies

neutering your dog does not mean it will not be aggressive.i have a bullmasstiff/pitbull mix and he has his balls.he is not aggressive twards other dogs,untill a dog charges at him,its not your dogs fault,he was defending himself.my dog is good with people,kids,other dogs exc.but if hes provocted he will defend himself.people should keep there fucking dogs on a leash.

If it happened 2x already, that means it is common for you to be out and about with other dogs. I was in the same situation with an un-nutered male. He was not a fighter but other dogs were and would smell that he was intact and attack him. I nuetered him and it solved the problem because he was no longer a male to them and not a threat.

So if you are going to be out and about with your dog around other dogs, it is a good idea. If you decide to do it.....do it sooon before he turns into a fighter from these attacks.

I would chop 'em. We have a french bulldog who I refuse to neuter because of a number of reasons. His temperment is completely different.

Dogs like Rotts, Pittbulls, etc... They may SEEM like great creatures, but they're more likely to remove somebody's hand in ONE blink of an eye. Curbing their aggression is the best thing you can do because it would take a little dog a hundred attacks before REALLY doing some damage. Your Rotty could take ONE thing the wrong way, snip, and now you're being sued.

I would chop 'em. We have a french bulldog who I refuse to neuter because of a number of reasons. His temperment is completely different.

Dogs like Rotts, Pittbulls, etc... They may SEEM like great creatures, but they're more likely to remove somebody's hand in ONE blink of an eye. Curbing their aggression is the best thing you can do because it would take a little dog a hundred attacks before REALLY doing some damage. Your Rotty could take ONE thing the wrong way, snip, and now you're being sued.

I really dont see neutering solving anything for what your describing. You already have the one tract mind that all rotts bulls are monsters. Cutting there balls isn't going to change a dog that is mean into a nice one.. Been there seen that. Curbing aggression comes down to training and environment. My good friend had a rotty from a puppy and had him neutered around 2 years old maybe sooner as well because he has little kids. The dog actually got worse around the kids and eventually they got rid of it. If a dog has that many issues well then maybe its time to get rid of him.

well because i work at a shelter and i see how many animals come thru here because of not being altered i tent to lean more on the side of getting your dog fixed. but as of helping his behavior yes and no. it can to some point but if he is already 2 yrs old then it really does not do anything when it comes to aggressive behavior. that is just going to take A LOT training on your part. and even sometimes thats just how they are going to be for the rest of their lives. does that make them a bad dog, no. he's just not too fond of other dogs lol. but its not going to hurt to get him fixed. :D

i think it is wise just for the cancer reasons. I don't see anything with the aggression. Thats the same thing as roid rage. if you have an aggressive dog he is aggressive with or without balls in fact my more aggressive dogs have all been females.

I am a little late here but here is the only science I have found on this topic. Many of the old wives tales are disspelled.

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

scroll down a bit for this info
**broken link removed**

do not do it

I had both my pits neutered at age 4 cause even though they were not aggressive with other dogs or people about twice a year they would get into each others faces bad had to get stitches every time and after they got done tearing each other up they would lick and clean each other up WTF.. On vets advice I got them clipped but guess what they still do it but now they are fat, lazy, but still love em. My X has one and i have the other now BUT I WISH I would have never had em neutered..

They love people especially kids hell I could not even yell at my own kid without them growlin at me , but just not each other

For health reasons, I wold neuter him. I had a Cane Corso, he was neutered at 6 months, and he was huge 28 inches at his shoulder, 165lbs with a 28inch melon. He was perfect, never got in fights, because he was properly trained and socialized, however, at the parks, other peoples poorly trained dogs would always growl and act dominant towards him and charge him he always came to me when called and I leashed him, if the dog still came at him growling, I gave the owner the chance to call their dog, if it didn't take off, I let Manson go. He would lunge grab and throw dogs around until they submitted and either ran away or laid on their backs on the ground. I'm not letting my dog get bitten by another unruly dog because he is being controlled on my leash, nor am I getting charged (which happened) because I kicked and beat another dog that was attacking me and my dog which was on leash...Training your dog is a responsibility, and if you are not gong to do it properly, then don't bring your dog out in public unless it's muzzled and on a leash. IMHO:cool:

You should always neuter every dog regardless of temperament. There are other health risks and behavior problems that stem from an intact dog. For one, the most obvious is there won't be an unnecessary breeding. If you don't already know about the amount of dogs being killed daily or the amount of dogs without homes, go checkout your local shelter. So please for your dogs sake, don't let them mate. With that being said, imagine going through life without EVER being able to bang a chick or even jerk off. You'd get pretty wild and probably go crazy. Well this is the same thing for dogs. When they are intact, they go into heat which is pretty much like how a boy feels when he goes into puberty. He will hump anything, live or dead. There are a few different medical problems that dogs can go through if they are not neutered. Prostate cancer being probably the biggest and most likely. There are really no advantages to leave them intact other than breeding, which imo should only be done by a reputable and professional breeder. The backyard breeder that is only in it for the money is doing nothing good for the breed or the amount of unwanted dogs in shelters.

So please for your dog's sake, get him clipped.

My last dog was un neuterd and he was as placid as they come.Unfortunatly if he got scent of a female hed leap out the living room window or whatever it took.All he ever thought about were the ladies. There like a horny 17 year old there whole lifes:banghead: If a dog was on heat in the neighborhood he would grizzle all day non stop, quite annoying really. Apart from that he really was a perfect dog.

Last edited:

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner