over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

new forearm exercise, lat width widowmaker, and rack deads

Cool

Hey, where exactly do you set the rack for rack deadlifts? I have been setting it at mid shin level but feel it's hard to get the heavier weight started without it feeling like my lumbar spine is gonna rip outa my skin.

Does putting it up to knee level still hit the back just as well? If so I will definitely make an alteration in this lift as I love it for back strength/mass.

Thanks and awesome vids!

Hey, where exactly do you set the rack for rack deadlifts? I have been setting it at mid shin level but feel it's hard to get the heavier weight started without it feeling like my lumbar spine is gonna rip outa my skin.

Does putting it up to knee level still hit the back just as well? If so I will definitely make an alteration in this lift as I love it for back strength/mass.

Thanks and awesome vids!

Knee level or lower. All heights have benefits really; work at one for a while, then switch it up.

I like your lat width movement. I often do an almost identical movement, but on a high pulley. I never thought of trying it on a seated row setup like that. I'll try it on my next back day.

One question - I'm short and my gym's rack doesn't have a spot low enough for me to effectively do rack deads. The lowest notch puts the bar above my knee and I can't get any range. Any suggestions? Smith machine maybe?

Last edited:
You could try standing on sturdy aerobic steps or 100 lb plates if you have them.

Knee level or lower. All heights have benefits really; work at one for a while, then switch it up.

Cool videos Shelby.

That lat width exercise is a good one. Vince Gironda came up with that one back in the 60's and called it a Racing Dive Lat pull. Ive seen the high pulley and the low pulley versions, but i prefer the lower pulley as i get a better stretch.

Keep it up bro!

Good Vids

Thanks for posting these. Peace.

deleted

Last edited:
You could try standing on sturdy aerobic steps or 100 lb plates if you have them.

that will get you removed from LA fitness..! LOL

dude I did back last night and i was in agony watch that lat movement. :) Also I was thinking about throwing in rack pulls in to my routine. What would you say the main difference is between deads vs rack pulls. I have never donw a rack pull b4 but it seems like you might be able to concentrate more on the spinal erector at the 1st part of the movement and then at the top concentrate on holding it for upper back/trap thickness. Any help would be appreciated.

dude I did back last night and i was in agony watch that lat movement. :) Also I was thinking about throwing in rack pulls in to my routine. What would you say the main difference is between deads vs rack pulls. I have never donw a rack pull b4 but it seems like you might be able to concentrate more on the spinal erector at the 1st part of the movement and then at the top concentrate on holding it for upper back/trap thickness. Any help would be appreciated.

Rack deads help take a lot of the leg drive out of the movement, and place the brunt of the work on the back (erectors to traps).
There is a bit of variability though, depending on how high the bar is (I recommend somewhere between mid-shin and just below the knee). Experiment and see what height you like best - work there for a while, and when you plateau, try a different height.

Rack deads help take a lot of the leg drive out of the movement, and place the brunt of the work on the back (erectors to traps).
There is a bit of variability though, depending on how high the bar is (I recommend somewhere between mid-shin and just below the knee). Experiment and see what height you like best - work there for a while, and when you plateau, try a different height.

sweet brah. will try in 6 days

I love rack deads, the first ones always the hardest and then after that they come a bit easier my best being 405x10:( your vid is quite inspirational.

Curious about your lat exercise, Shelby. :) I sometimes use the rope on either the high or low pulley, but never in your fashion... do you feel positionning your back almost parallel to the floor increases the focus on width? Or is there some other special reason you do it this way instead of a conventional seated position?

The forearm exercise is interesting, it looks like you are purposely removing the brachioradialis from the movement and making it more just brachialis?

I like the rack deads, I do them myself, I personally think the back should maintain a more arched position at all times when deadlifting, rather than the rounding/arching on your heavier set, your lighter set looked safer. Maybe I'm being too picky, they do look pretty solid, just thinking about your long term disk health, and your obviously and advanced lifter, so they should be perfect.

Curious about your lat exercise, Shelby. :) I sometimes use the rope on either the high or low pulley, but never in your fashion... do you feel positionning your back almost parallel to the floor increases the focus on width? Or is there some other special reason you do it this way instead of a conventional seated position?

It's just an alternate variation, and it gives a different feel from an upright pulldown. It hits the teres and rhomboids really nicely.

Shelby,

That is a new forearm exercise to me,
and I thought I had seen them all. You
obviously feel it beneficial (otherwise you
would not be doing it . . ), talk about it
when you get a chance; did you invent it,
the results so far, things to watch for, etc. . .

Thank you.

I think I read Dat (from this board) recommended keeping the wrists cocked down for some forearm work, so I gave it a try and liked it. It helps me take the biceps out of the movement. That set I did in the video made my forearms more sore than I can remember them being in a long time.

I like the rack deads, I do them myself, I personally think the back should maintain a more arched position at all times when deadlifting, rather than the rounding/arching on your heavier set, your lighter set looked safer. Maybe I'm being too picky, they do look pretty solid, just thinking about your long term disk health, and your obviously and advanced lifter, so they should be perfect.

Yah I always round a bit, but my midback is pretty thick and strong and I've never had a problem with it. Thanks for watching out.

Thanks, Shelby. I always enjoy your videos. They remind me that there is more to lifting a weight than just the concentric part. Spot on!

ive been doing the back width exercise for 8+ months now. Definitely makes a huge difference and thank goodness I learned it from Dante. I think it was in Justin Harris's thread somewhere on another forum perhaps.

on the width movement, does it matter weather or not you do it from a seated row position or can you use a pull down stack?

Some training videos from today - a new forearm exercise (note that I'm cocking my wrists downward as I'm coming up), a lat width "widowmaker" on the rope pulley, and then some rack deads.

forearms:
YouTube - 30 x 17

lat width:
YouTube - 70 x 22

rack deads, 545 x 9:
YouTube - 545 x 9

rack deads, 405 x 18:
YouTube - 405 x 18

Shelby, you always have some good stuff brother. In your lat width exercise are you sitting or keeping your butt up off of the seat to isolate the lats more?

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
GFly
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131