over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

New NPC Rules

Muraco said:
Why not? Is he still using duiretics, clen, & T3, (plus other stuff) in the off-season, too? At least they are probably eating somewhat healthier and cycling lower doses of meds in the off-season.
Yes, I KNOW the topic was about the women and not the men. Still, the dry, shredded look is not very attractive, whether its the men or the women. I would rather look huge like a pro in the off-season than how they look onstage. I know the facts are they will continue to reward that type of look.
I guess I agree with Vander.

Do you really think women want to see "big" guys? I just got an e-mail from EF on this and it makes a lot of sense (although I don't agree 100%).

When you are cut, lean and hard, you "appear to be" MUCH bigger than an off-season look. I am still amazed that when I diet down to achieve this look SO MANY people comment on how big I've gotten - and that's after dropping about 30 pounds!!!!

I guess we can agree to disagree.

When I see a "big" guy I wonder
1) is he overweight
2) is he an athlete
3) is he an off-season bb'er

Can you see the point I'm trying to make. :p ;)

xcelbeyond said:
I guess I agree with Vander.

Do you really think women want to see "big" guys? I just got an e-mail from EF on this and it makes a lot of sense (although I don't agree 100%).

When you are cut, lean and hard, you "appear to be" MUCH bigger than an off-season look. I am still amazed that when I diet down to achieve this look SO MANY people comment on how big I've gotten - and that's after dropping about 30 pounds!!!!

I guess we can agree to disagree.

When I see a "big" guy I wonder
1) is he overweight
2) is he an athlete
3) is he an off-season bb'er

Can you see the point I'm trying to make. :p ;)

yes! makes it even more obvious why youll never ever see a off-season bb'er in a mag doing a workout spread

Interesting points...

but has anyone ever actually tried doing a DVD of off season training programs for bodybuilders?

I would bet if they did they would find there IS a market for that especially if the athletes are eating big, living large, doing HEAVY weights and strong man type events. Remember how everyone marveled over the off season Dorian in his DVD and the off season Ronnie in his DVD ? You see those pics ALL over the web.

Sometimes ...just because a magazine decides that the public does not want to see something does not mean it's the case (they have been known to be out of step with what is going on and there are numerious examples of this). Bodybuilding magazines are trying to make money on the advertising...not sales of the magazine and if the advertising is for Ripped FAST (which most ads are)...of course they wont use someone off season.

I would also like to state that with extreme sports such as bodybuilding the mainstream public does not learn how to appreciate it until WE show them how. Then suddenly what was fad or underground becomes more acceptable and cool. Sure a few women at your gym may not like veiny or muscular guys and thats because most of them have couch potato dads...just keepin it real :)

Last edited:
I see your points, no problemo. :rolleyes: Have you seen Dennis James' website? He has some incredible photos of himself 3-6 months out before the Olympia. Really massive and still with alot of cuts for just beginning contest prep. I've seen some pro's while "off-season" in LA and SD doing guest appearances, and even seeing them backstage they are not "huffing & puffing" grasping for every strand of oxygen to get into their lungs. I saw Cutler, Coleman, & Gunter backstage at the Emerald Cup in '03 and they were pretty happy...didn't have their oxygen tanks or kidney machines with them I guess. And I could care less if someone is trying to "guess" if I am fat or not, or in my "off-season." Or if women don't like me because I am "too bulky." To hell with what anyone thinks.

Muraco said:
I saw Cutler, Coleman, & Gunter backstage at the Emerald Cup in '03 and they were pretty happy...didn't have their oxygen tanks or kidney machines with them I guess. And I could care less if someone is trying to "guess" if I am fat or not, or in my "off-season." Or if women don't like me because I am "too bulky." To hell with what anyone thinks.
I too was at that Emerald Cup (along with many other members from this board). Do you really think this was these three guys "normal" off season weight/condition?!? This was one of the biggest guest performances these guys probably did in a LONG time. Hell - they were all in competition for the top spot in the upcoming Olympia and weren't about to let another out do them.

I'm not so shallow as to say that anyone is "less of a person" for not being cut/in show-type condition. But face the facts as I stated them - it's hard to accept. Being "big" is not the end-all to everyone. If you're happy with it then I don't have a problem with it.

Take my current condition. I'm not real fat, but around 12-14% BF at ~210 pounds. I can don a tank and go to the gym (you know - the place where people "workout") and won't get a single look or comment. Now I can get below 7% BF at around 180 pounds and people will be coming outta the woodwork to say how big I've gotten and how much weight I've put on.

Ok, cool, I understand. To drag things on further (and keep annoying...sorry),
What do you guys think about the World's Strongest Woman competition on ESPN? Which gets more exposure on that channel than women's BB, Fitness, or Figure comps. And some of the women look even more "masculine" than in Bodybuilding. And the NPC wants to AGAIN make rules concerning the more masculine women, while their "sister" sport grabs more media coverage with sometimes even more "masculine-looking" women. Interesting. I enjoy the Women's SW comps, it is presented in a positive light.

IMO

Yes some of the women do look, and can look more masculine then some women in BBing, I believe that powerlifting is more readlily acceptable then bodybuidling, when your a BBer, many of the time it is easy to see cause we wear it on our sleeves. I like to make the comparison to soem of the Worlds Strongest Man competitors and football players, one could look at a football player and have no idea if they use drugs or not. An offensive lineman can be a humongous being with a massive amount of muscle tissue and strength but they do not have the negative connotation to the same extent as BBers do with drugs. A large person with much muscle/strength compared to their frame and a low amount of bodyfat will always be stereotyped with as a steroid user. Also look at baseball now, any player that starts hitting 60+ homeruns what do u think the media will start hyping whether is true or not now that there is an association/publicity of homerun hitters and drugs.
Gooey

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Atomgear
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner