advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

New Personal Training Job. Stupidity is Rampant.

BigBoyJ

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
I just started a new personal training job at a large gym chain in San Antonio. Now I don't claim to be the world's best trainer by any means. Hell, I may not even be in the top 3 :D , but I have been studying every aspect of fitness for about 16 years now. Physiology, kinesiology, biology, biomechanics, anatomy, endocrinology, nutrition, etc. In other words, I feel comfortable with my knowledge in regards to exercise, diet, etc.

Well, at this new job I started today, there was a period of a few hours when it was a little slow, so all the trainers were standing around talking. The men were your typical looking trainers....skinny, barely looked like they worked out, you know what I mean. Then there were the females. Two had huge asses and pot bellies. Then there was one girl who looked pretty good. Not what I'd call a fitness queen, but at least she wasn't fat.

Anyway, the converstation we had covered many subjects. I didn't talk too much, mostly I just listened. I was interested in what these "experts" had to say. Here's what I found out.

1. People should NEVER use ANY supplements because they will ruin your metabolism and if you get off of them, you won't ever be able to lose fat or build muscle again.

2. Whey protein and creatine are the same as taking steroids...they are all terrible for you and considered cheating.

3. A degree in sociology apparantly qualifies you as an expert in the field of exercise. (this is the only degree or certification one of the trainers holds)

4. Weight lifting has no place in fat loss. In fact, you should quit doing it when trying to lose fat and only do cardio.

5. Being 137 lbs at 5'7 is freakin' awesome because you can really see your abs.

6. Using stability balls is far superior to that "old fashioned" weight lifting equipment.

7. If you give HORRIBLE advice like this to your clients and they don't make any progress, it MUST be because the client is screwing up at home.

I'm not shitting y'all. All this stuff was actually said BY THE TRAINERS. These are the people who are SUPPOSED to be the experts. And this is at a top of the line health club. I was just amazed. I didn't even know where to begin. All I can say is I plan on stealing ALL the clients I want until I can't handle anymore.

our gym recently hired a lot of good trainers finally. I'm trying to break into it but i just lack confidence and second guess myself about a lot of things. Big boy you know your stuff man... i say steal em.

Go load up your client list. As the members of the gym start to see your people make progress you'll add more and more clients. Just keep away from the other trainers. You don't want them to learn anything.

PB

Paul Bunyan said:
Go load up your client list. As the members of the gym start to see your people make progress you'll add more and more clients. Just keep away from the other trainers. You don't want them to learn anything.

PB

i would agree with Paul.
i was a trainer for a 4 years.and it was the same thing what you told here.you dont need to steal,the other trainers clients going to see what you going to do and how you going to work with others.its going to be word of mouth what going to make your money.
i am not saying that i was the best,but i had people comeing in to the gym,and if i am not there,they wanted to make sure that i am going to work with them or they not even signing up for the gym membership.
and in this business,you are on your own.nobody will care what you did or going to do that day.
i am really glad that you starting that job.at least all of us know that some people will be changed in good way.
good luck bro.

BBJ-

First of all congratulations on finally hooking up with the PT position.
Man Ive been so happy with it I cant tell you, doing what you truly love.
It also hinges on having friendly clients, Ive been blessed with that.
All the idiots will try your patience (youre already thin on that!), but will also seperate you from the pack-as will your physique. It may be discouraging for awhile as your client base builds, but hang in there. If you connect with your people it will show on the floor, and if you do a good job the word will spread.
Good luck buddy! Keep us posted.

BiggerStronger, you should teach a class to the trainers at my gym. They'd love you. :D

Saint, you know a lot more than you give yourself credit for. Just be confident with your knowledge, but still open to other possibilities. You'll do fine.

PaulB, I don't even think it would be possible to teach the other trainers anything. Afterall, they already know everything. :p

Jerry, I'm sure people had no doubt you knew what you were doing just by looking at you. You probably made the rest of the trainers look like chubby little girls.

Mikes, I appreciate it. I don't understand though, what makes you think I don't have much patience? :p I know it'll take some time to build up a good clientelle. I'm not real sure exactly how to get the ball rolling. Just time I suppose. If anyone has any suggestions though, I'd be glad to hear 'em.

90% of Trainers Suck

I totally feel you on this, I work as a trainer right now, I love my job. It is a perfect job for a student, low hours, high pay and it applies to my field of study, somewhat. There are so many terrible trainers out there, just like there are terrible people in every field. But training for some reason is full of total idiots, I can't believe the terrible things I hear from trainers and see them do.

There are some horrid trainers that work at my gym, when I first started there they used to give nasty looks and talk behind my back. They still do all that, when they are not copying almost everything I do with my clients. They used to be doing all of this physioball, light weight, exercise band garbage. I bring my clientele in, they are all women, almost all are hot, they all squat, dead and bench as heavy as possible, for reps of course. All of the other trainers look like crap because their clients never get results. So, just try to get a really good clientele that will eat how you tell them and will kick ass in the gym. I have turned down several people to train, mostly heavy ladies, not because I don't want to help, I just don't want to mess my reputation, it would make me look like I would take anyone.

I have noticed that you need to look the part. I have trained with Poliquin, Verstegen and Glass before, they all look the part, the best trainers are very good specimens themselves. It is like teaching someone how to fly a plane if you aren't a pilot, trainers that don't even train themselves suck, I can't believe that anyone would be stupid enough to train with them, but there are.

I agree with you completely, Callgolf. Getting this job has motivated me to really start busting ass again. My motivation has been fading for the past few months, but now I have a reason to look the best I possibly can.

For the past 6 months or so, I was doing about 300 mg total aas per week. Then for the last month, I've been clean completely. Once I start getting a little money coming again, it's time for a full on cycle. I'm gonna get make sure that all anyone has to do is walk into the gym and it's obvious at a glance who the best trainer is. I mean, I'm in better shape than all the others all ready...I just want to make sure I blow them all away though. :D

BigBoyJ said:
I agree with you completely, Callgolf. Getting this job has motivated me to really start busting ass again. My motivation has been fading for the past few months, but now I have a reason to look the best I possibly can.

For the past 6 months or so, I was doing about 300 mg total aas per week. Then for the last month, I've been clean completely. Once I start getting a little money coming again, it's time for a full on cycle. I'm gonna get make sure that all anyone has to do is walk into the gym and it's obvious at a glance who the best trainer is. I mean, I'm in better shape than all the others all ready...I just want to make sure I blow them all away though. :D

on that note... i look forward to reading your post in a few months that will be titled...i just got fired from my job and accused of using juice... :D

Hopefully your PT supervisor will give you some clients to jump-start you.
I have one heavy lady, would take more. If they are dedicated you can work miracles, which of course will reflect great on you. My big lady has changed her life by radically improving her failing health. It, cliche as it may sound, can
give you a lot of pride and satisfaction when you change peoples lives for the better.

Germ, you must know me too well. I get fired from jobs constantly :D . I'm really going to put effort into this one though because it's what I want to do. Plus, the money's pretty damned good...at least for me.

Mike, you're right. When I was training people a few years ago, I worked almost completely with people with special needs. (heart attack, stroke, diabetes, accident's, etc). That was the most fulfilling thing I've ever done. That's the kind of thing I eventually want to get back into. For now though, I'll take anybody.

AMAZING how anyone can be a certified trainer....

It kills me to see these people training others...and they do not know how to train themselves..

I SHIT YOU NOT....my best bud was at 24 hour fuckupness and the trainer asked him what is a lat pulldown. he thought she was joking....nope she was damn serious.

I too do this job

U meet some very awsome people who love to train and love for u to beat the living piss out of them. I can say I have some awsome clients that take care of me well I am very blessed. But I have delt with the other end of the spectrum too. Usually the spoiled princesses that have never really worked for anything in their life that also want the proverbial "magic pill" to allow them to lose 15-20 lbs of fat mass in 2 weeks or less :eek: Yea gotta luv it. They also claim they dont want to get "big and bulky". I had one girl blame me because she couldnt fit into her clothes she thought she was getting to muscle bound, yea right the only place that gained outrageous amounts of muscle was her jaw from whining and from stuffing high calorie food into it. U can only tell someone the samething so many times, but the little ugly word of accountability comes into play and some people like to blame their personal trainers for their inability to adhere to a weight training/diet program.
gooey

GOOEY,

I agree there are some good people that love to see you everyday and get a kick out of each workout...then you get the people well this one trainer said to it this way...or do it that way....all are good ideas, but some are just so far out it blows me away.

And the good clients do take care of you.

It's funny...I believe I know more than 98% of the personal trainers in my area and at one point I wanted to get into the field, but it seems like to go anywhere will cost ya a bit of money. (certifications, working for free basically, etc.) It almost seems like a big scam to me esp. with the big gyms. bally's, 24 hour, etc.

I HAVE A COUPLE CLIENTS.

I DON'T REALLY WANT TO PERSONAL TRAIN BUT STARTED DOING IT SINCE I AM AT THE GYM ALL THE DAMB TIME ANYWAY. THE GYM OWNER IS A COOL BASTARD AND ASKED ME IF I'D BE WILLING TO TAKE A COUPLE. I AM WILLING. YOU GUYS WOULD LIKE MY BUDDY MIKE. ANYWAY....THERE ARE OTHER 'TRAINERS' THERE....AND YEAH, I GET BUGGED BY STUFF THEY SAY AND DO AT TIMES.

HERE IS ONE...THERE IS A GAL THERE WHO TEACHES SPINNING CLASSES, AND DOES 'BODYFAT ANALYSIS'.....HERE IS WHERE I'D BE A LITTLE SHAME FACE IF I WERE HER. SHE'S A BIG HIPPED GAL AND HAS A LOT OF ENERGY DURING THOSE SPINNING CLASSES BUT....GOOD GOLLY SHE'S GOT TO START TURNING THOSE FRIGGING CALIPERS ON HERSELF! SHE IS NOT LEAN......HELL THE AVERAGE PERSON IS LEANER THAN SHE IS!!! HAHAHA...SHE'S A BIG OLD HORSE OF A GAL. IF I THOUGHT IT WAS WORTHWHILE TAKING A CALIPER TO SOMEONE AND WAS A LARD ASS MY SELF....WELL, I JUST COULDN'T DO IT!

LOOK IN THE MIRROR FOR SHIT SAKES....IF YOU ARE FAT IT IS OBVIOUS. GET TO WORK. :)

how about the

trainers wearing spandex with pot bellys walking around eating a protein bar,or the other lil guys that look like they have never touched a weight in there life that shit just kills me,but on the p/t note it sure is a good feeling changing peoples lives for the better actually making a positive diffrence in just 1 persons life makes me feel GREATi will eventually send in my issa test to get my cert

It's always good to see that right when I think the whole world is completely retarded to exercise science, I can come here and find people with brains.

Jethro, that was a funny ass post. :D

It does seem like a scam at first-all the free workouts and time prospecting.
But if you are persistant and patient, you can make it work.
Unless you are an exceptional salesperson (selling your PT) then you will need a couple months overhead to pay bills. Most gyms will only pay minimum hourly rate $6-7hr or so unless you are actually training a paying client.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
locoslave
NapsGear