over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Niacin question

Knight9

Featured Member / Verified Customer / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Verified Customer
I have read several times over that you do not want to use No-Flush Niacin because it does not have the same health benefits as regular Niacin.

What I'd like to know is if Slo-Niacin is still as effective? I looked around and could not find much initially, so I decided to ask here-thinking someone would know.

this may not be exactly what you are looking for, but there is still some really good info with regard to liver toxicity..from what i remember, that's the biggest issue with slow released niacin.
Niacin

there are differnent forms of slow release and flush free niacin. if you want the health effects of niacin take NIACIN. just cut the dose back a little if flushing is a problem, but also keep in mind with repeated use the flushing should go away.

niacinamide is a flush free version but not like the others. it is a great sup with lots of benniffits. I use it to help with anxiety. also great for skin. but totally different then niacin.

The flushing is a bit uncomfortable. That is why I take mine right before bed (Shelby suggests this as well). Also the flushing goes away after a while.

something i was suggested to try by a Dr. many yrs ago, was to use the niacin with a baby aspirin...that and to take it with a meal. i rarely ever suffer from any flushing effects. ive personally never used a time/slow release niacin, but i have always been told to stay away from them, and stick with good ol' niacin.

Knight, I had low HDL on some blood work a while back and my Doc was going to put me on the prescription niacin drug (Niaspan), but for whatever reason it was only covered 1/2 under my insurance and it was pretty expensive (pretty sure it's because name brands are only partially covered for me)...

Anyway, as an alternative he suggested I take Slo-Niacin, 500mg with a baby aspirin before bed (only take baby aspirin is you experience flushing he said)... anyway, after doing that for about 3 months, I believe my HDL went up 7 points (I don't have the tests on me, just going by memory). Pretty damn good

So I do think niacin definitely has a place for maintaining healthy cholesterol levels. I stopped taking it because my levels have normalized and have repeated tested fine.

EDIT: Oh, my doc also said there IS a difference between slow release niacin and no-flush niacin. He said the no -flush kind will not work or not work nearly as well for increasing HDL. Also, as already stated, time released niacin has the POTENTIAL to cause liver problems, so be sure to check up them before and during niacin treatment.

Last edited:
I have read several times over that you do not want to use No-Flush Niacin because it does not have the same health benefits as regular Niacin.

What I'd like to know is if Slo-Niacin is still as effective? I looked around and could not find much initially, so I decided to ask here-thinking someone would know.

I mean really...Do you know how to use google? Just type in...

is Slo-Niacin is still as effective as niacin

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

:D

I gave up on niacin because of that stupid flush I'd get in public and people would think I'm having a heart attack because my face turns red

Oh and I can't take before bed, otherwise I can't sleep

What about flush free

What about flush free

I mentioned why no flush is not as good in my previous post, but....

Flush free doesn't have the same benefits as the flushing niacin... slow-release, however, does have the same benefits and there is less of a flush. The down side of slow release is the potential for liver damage

Are you guys talking about regular OTC niacin caps? How much are you taking? I've never experienced the flushing you are talking about... But then again I didn't notice any healthy benefits either.

Last edited:
Started Nialor few weeks ago. The company gives you a starter bottle that you cut the tabs in half. After the starter bottle dose is 1 full tab three times daily. Their website states 90% of people do not get the flush. I do, sometimes, sometimes not. Not sure why. I take a daily baby aspirin and have taken the Nialor shortly after taking the aspirin and sometime I flush and other times not. For me the flush last ~ 30-45 min when it does happen and I feel a small price to pay for helping with my cholesterol. I've read not to drink warm fluids like coffee or tea shortly after taking niacin. I take mine with cold water and sip on the water for at least an hour as sometime the flush occurs 20-30 min after taking the tab.

I got elevated liver enzymes from regular niacin as well so test
Yourself while on it.

I used to take 2-3grams per day split into three doses of Slo-Niacin. Once your body gets used to it the flushing goes away. It will occasionally rear its ugly head. Liver enzymes were fine and improved my HDL by a few points even though I was on stuff (it was still below average). Now I only do about a gram a day. No issues.

Are you guys talking about regular OTC niacin caps? How much are you taking? I've never experienced the flushing you are talking about... But then again I didn't notice any healthy benefits either.

I take 1000mg daily, all at once before bed. I head other people suggest only 500mg a day. Others 500mg twice a day.

Shelby recommends 1000-2000mg before bed.

Here is a study that examines the efficacy and toxicity of extended-release niacin. Only the abstract is available for free but that gives the gist of the study and reports the results. Looks like the study reports positive results for both efficacy and toxicity.

**broken link removed**

I take 1000mg daily, all at once before bed. I head other people suggest only 500mg a day. Others 500mg twice a day.

Shelby recommends 1000-2000mg before bed.

Ah, that explains it. I was only taking 500mg/day. Thanks!

Best solve for most of my patients is Aspirin (81, 325, 300 PR, ;)) 20min prior to a Niacin dose.

I get better blood results on patients with 'regular' niacin. Just anaecdotal here...

Slow release or "flush free" are often malabsorbed by some patients and we frequently get "clunkers" where the caps are found intact in the toilet...

The name "flush free" is ironic, eh?...

Just something to consider.

--Dr. E

Are the slo-niacin liver issues because your body is exposed to it longer? Or does the added ingredient have an effect on liver enzymes?

It seems regular Niacin is best...

What is the advantage to taking it pre workout? Does anyone know? I have heard this a few times

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrcivic
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity