over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

niacin

warlord_wrug

Registered
Anyone here have any experience with it?Anybody who has used it did you get bloodwork done? I was thinking of using it for lowering ldl & blood pressure. Also how liver toxic is it?

You don't need to worry about Niacin negatively affecting you outside feeling a little flush

I used Niacin before for my cholesterol and had slightly elevated liver values but of course there was other factors in play. Too much Niacin like what is needed for cholesterol will raise your values but blood work will be the only way you'll know for sure how much. If you have a history of liver problems then I'd stay away.

I took Niacin before and got the "niacin flush"... felt like I had been sprayed by Mace .. no bueno

I used Niacin before for my cholesterol and had slightly elevated liver values but of course there was other factors in play. Too much Niacin like what is needed for cholesterol will raise your values but blood work will be the only way you'll know for sure how much. If you have a history of liver problems then I'd stay away.
I have no existing liver issues but would you recommend against taking niacin while taking a oral like dbol or winstrol?

I have no existing liver issues but would you recommend against taking niacin while taking a oral like dbol or winstrol?

I was on multiple compounds at the time so I can't say for sure how big of a role the Niacin played. My liver values were slightly elevated and my doctor told me the Niacin will do that which led me to read a little more about it online. There are other options. Citrus bergamot, healthy fats, cardio, gw501516. If you do use high doses of Niacin make sure you get the right kind. I believe nicotinic acid is the one. The no flushs don't work. Blood work is the only way you'll know how you're liver is doing. Go with TUDCA or Synthergine for your liver.

There is a good prescription med that many insurance companies cover called Niaspan. Niaspan is a timed released tablet that lasts all day and has very little or no flushing sides at all. I used to take it, 1000 mg/day, but it really didn't raise my HDL much at all. My HDL seems to be low genetically because even now when I am just on 100 mg/wk test it is low.

There is a good prescription med that many insurance companies cover called Niaspan. Niaspan is a timed released tablet that lasts all day and has very little or no flushing sides at all. I used to take it, 1000 mg/day, but it really didn't raise my HDL much at all. My HDL seems to be low genetically because even now when I am just on 100 mg/wk test it is low.

Same here. Niaspan didn't do much and my doc actually stated he stopped prescribing it because he felt it dint do much and didn't like how it increased liver values without much benefit.

MMS: Error

Safety Profile of Extended-Release Niacin in the AIM-HIGH Trial

N Engl J Med 2014; 371:288-290July 17, 2014DOI: 10.1056/NEJMc1311039

Share:

Article
Citing Articles (27)
Letters
Metrics
To the Editor:

The results of the Atherothrombosis Intervention in Metabolic Syndrome with Low HDL/High Triglycerides: Impact on Global Health Outcomes (AIM-HIGH) trial were published in the Journal in 2011.1 This study showed no incremental clinical benefit from the addition of high-dose extended-release niacin (Niaspan, AbbVie) to statin therapy during a 36-month mean follow-up period in 3414 patients who had stable atherosclerotic disease, low baseline levels of high-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol, and elevated triglyceride levels. In that article, we provided data on adverse events resulting in a reduction in the dose or discontinuation of the study drug. These results were largely consistent with the previously established side-effect profile of niacin (e.g., itching, flushing, gastrointestinal symptoms, and increased blood glucose levels). Less common adverse events, including abnormal liver-function tests and myopathy, were also reported.

Because of an excess in certain serious adverse events observed in the Heart Protection Study 2: Treatment of HDL to Reduce the Incidence of Vascular Events (HPS2-THRIVE),2,3 including unanticipated increases in infections and bleeding, there has been interest in whether similar patterns of serious adverse events were observed in the AIM-HIGH trial.4 It is important to note that in HPS2-THRIVE, a different study drug (Tredaptive, Merck), a proprietary extended-release niacin preparation combined with laropiprant, a prostaglandin D2 receptor-1 antagonist, was used to retard cutaneous flushing. Here we describe the rates of serious adverse events in the AIM-HIGH trial. Additional information regarding all adverse events (including both serious and nonserious adverse events) is provided in the Supplementary Appendix (available with the full text of this letter at NEJM.org).

All serious adverse events were recorded on standard case-report forms. Terms were coded with the use of the Medical Dictionary for Regulatory Activities (MedDRA), version 15.0, and classified according to the System Organ Class categorization and MedDRA preferred term. A standardized MedDRA query5 was used to identify serious hemorrhagic adverse events.

Overall, 34.2% of patients who received extended-release niacin and 32.5% of patients who received placebo had serious adverse events during follow-up (P=0.30). There were significant between-group differences in the numbers of serious adverse events in the System Organ Class categories of gastrointestinal disorders (7.4% vs. 5.5%, P=0.02) and infections and infestations (8.1% vs. 5.8%, P=0.008). The overall observed rate of serious hemorrhagic adverse events was low, with no significant difference between the two groups in the trial (3.4% vs. 2.9%, P=0.36) (Table 1Table 1Serious Adverse Events.).

Although the full list of serious adverse events suggests certain similarities with the data from HPS2-THRIVE, particularly regarding serious adverse infectious events, the nonsignificant numerical excess in adverse bleeding events with niacin cannot be considered definitive. Accordingly, there are compelling reasons to interpret these data with caution. The data, and the relevant considerations, are discussed in the Supplementary Appendix.

In summary, in the AIM-HIGH trial, treatment with extended-release niacin was associated with significantly increased rates of certain serious adverse events, as well as increased rates of dose reductions or drug discontinuation related in most cases to known side effects of niacin. Examination of the entire record of all adverse events suggests other possible side effects of this proprietary extended-release formulation. The findings concerning certain serious adverse infectious events associated with niacin have not been previously reported. However, lacking additional clinical and scientific confirmation, we believe that they should be considered to be provisional and exploratory.

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Sickxlost
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws