over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Niacin

superbigd

Registered
Curious who is still using niacin daily. I have combed through the search here at promuscle and have come across some conflicting information.

If you read threads dating pre2010 it appears that it's a highly recommended supplement to include, in comparison with threads post2010 that reference the Aim-high study stating that it's toxic to liver and homosteine levels.

Has there been change in the opinions of niacian from our promuscle vets?

I go through phases with my consistency but I've heard nothing but good stuff about it. I like to start with 500mg ed and go up to 1000mg ed of Slo-Niacin. It needs to be flush version for it to work from everything I've read. In any case, my HDL did go up quite a bit while I was on it consistently so I'm a firm believer in it.

I've thought about incorporating it but I believe Stewie said something about it increasing hdl but not actually "helping" if that makes sense. Maybe he can come in here and clarify that.
Dr. Steven ogden said his hdl was very low until he started using niacin daily and still swears by it even though it's not recommended by physicians anymore.

I've thought about incorporating it but I believe Stewie said something about it increasing hdl but not actually "helping" if that makes sense. Maybe he can come in here and clarify that.
Dr. Steven ogden said his hdl was very low until he started using niacin daily and still swears by it even though it's not recommended by physicians anymore.

The latest guidelines (AHA, I believe) do not recommend niacin anymore as a therapy. Put simply, studies found that the elevations in HDL from niacin did not lead to any reductions in mortality, but niacin itself is responsible for a lot of adverse events (GI problems, hyperglycemia, some more).

The latest guidelines (AHA, I believe) do not recommend niacin anymore as a therapy. Put simply, studies found that the elevations in HDL from niacin did not lead to any reductions in mortality, but niacin itself is responsible for a lot of adverse events (GI problems, hyperglycemia, some more).

This is what had me a tear clear of it tbh. I don't want to have normal hdl soley because of niacin and think I'm A okay if you know what I mean lol
Also the flush is horrible and never seems to go away even after continuous use.

So there is no benefit whatsoever to start taking niacin? I have a hard time believing that niacin should not be used in any capacity. I am just of the understanding that nician use for HDL qualities is minimal but there are other benefits.

I use niacin in the form of nicotinic acid, which is the only form the seems to work for increase HDL. Look at the studies, some of the studies people had to use up to five grams. Ive been using 750 mgs on cycle

If it does cause liver enzymes to raise which some studies shown it has you could use it on and around cycle and when on trt or off go off of it. 750 mgs isnt a big dose really anyways, or you could drop the dose down to 250mgs. I've been using Tudca for liver enzymes prevention

I don't know if it niacin in the form of nicotinic acid causes liver enzymes to raise or not via my own lab work; although studies seem to indicate it does so take it what its worth.

I think the increase in HDL is not realistic, but it has other nice benefits (skin, energy...).

You can definitively use it year round. Take it before bed.

This is what had me a tear clear of it tbh. I don't want to have normal hdl soley because of niacin and think I'm A okay if you know what I mean lol
Also the flush is horrible and never seems to go away even after continuous use.

So there is no benefit whatsoever to start taking niacin? I have a hard time believing that niacin should not be used in any capacity. I am just of the understanding that nician use for HDL qualities is minimal but there are other benefits.

Also something to keep in mind--quite a few studies have shown that niacin INCREASES insulin RESISTANCE. Not something we want, for sure.

It's simply not worth it. Like others have said, it's shown that the artificial HDL increase doesn't reduce mortality. It will raise lp(a) but will also raise homocysteine. Stay away.

It's simply not worth it. Like others have said, it's shown that the artificial HDL increase doesn't reduce mortality. It will raise lp(a) but will also raise homocysteine. Stay away.

Actually it's used as a therapeutic to lower Lp(a). There's conflicting reports that niacin increases endothelial Lp-PLA2.

Actually it's used as a therapeutic to lower Lp(a). There's conflicting reports that niacin increases endothelial Lp-PLA2.

I meant to say lower Lpa, not higher

So Stewie are there any reasons TO take niacin?

If you're using it as a target therapy for lowering lipoprotein(a), yes I'd suggest it's use. For HDL, no not really.

There's some suggestions (animal models) it may help with synaptic plasticity and axon augmentation. It's regarded as a cofactor for several neurotransmitters, so yeah there could be some perks to it's use.

If you're using it as a target therapy for lowering lipoprotein(a), yes I'd suggest it's use. For HDL, no not really.

There's some suggestions (animal models) it may help with synaptic plasticity and axon augmentation. It's regarded as a cofactor for several neurotransmitters, so yeah there could be some perks to it's use.

what about for clearer skin benefits? If i do supplement with niacian i was reading that the effectiveness of it wears off after a couple weeks. Is this because chromium is getting depleted? Thank you sir!

what about for clearer skin benefits? If i do supplement with niacian i was reading that the effectiveness of it wears off after a couple weeks. Is this because chromium is getting depleted? Thank you sir!

I dunno to be honest. Out of my understanding, I'd have to read up on what you're mentioning.

Sorry

Any other items that are currently recommended for lowering Lpa (other than typical statins)?

I USE NIACIN (500mg NOW brand) I DOSE AT 1500mg ON WORKOUT DAYS AND USE IT ALONGSIDE A CAN OF BANG ENERGY.....BEST PRE_WORKOUT EVER !!! SICK PUMP AND RIDICULOUS VASCULARITY

Any other items that are currently recommended for lowering Lpa (other than typical statins)?

Omegas, Ubiquinol, nandrolone decanoate, SERMS such as tamoxifen and raloxifene have been observed to lower Lp(a). I'm sure there are a few other strategies, these are some off the top of my head that I didn't mention in the aforementioned thread.

There's some good discussion in this thread.

http://www.professionalmuscle.com/f...ed-users-otc-supps-improve-cholesterol-3.html

I believe it's niacin's propensity to raise insulin resistance that off sets the good it does with lipids... That's how it's explained on examine at least. Life extension has an article that says the increase in blood glucose is temporary though so not sure what to think.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner