over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

No Carbs post cardio

Thebigone

Kilo Klub Member
Lately i've found myself skimping out on cardio. I usually do it after my workouts but lately i've been having an intraworkout shake(carbs/amino's) and if I dont finish it on time I tell myself "well cardio is pointless now b/c im just going to burn off carbs." I had much better results with cardio in the morning in the past but its hard with kids now. What im asking is does the body continue to burn fat for a specific amount of time post cardio and if so should you have no carbs during that period to utilize more fat burning. I get up at 7am and get the kids ready or school at 8:30. So im thinking maybe around 7:30 i'll have a whey shake with 1-2tbsp coconut oil and then do 30min cardio when I drop the kids off which would be around 9 then post cardio I would usually have breakfast(carbs/protein only) but im wondering if its best to wait a specific amount of time before having carbs post cardio? And is the coconut oil 1.5hrs or so before cardio ok b/c its probably burned up by then?

Lately i've found myself skimping out on cardio. I usually do it after my workouts but lately i've been having an intraworkout shake(carbs/amino's) and if I dont finish it on time I tell myself "well cardio is pointless now b/c im just going to burn off carbs." I had much better results with cardio in the morning in the past but its hard with kids now. What im asking is does the body continue to burn fat for a specific amount of time post cardio and if so should you have no carbs during that period to utilize more fat burning. I get up at 7am and get the kids ready or school at 8:30. So im thinking maybe around 7:30 i'll have a whey shake with 1-2tbsp coconut oil and then do 30min cardio when I drop the kids off which would be around 9 then post cardio I would usually have breakfast(carbs/protein only) but im wondering if its best to wait a specific amount of time before having carbs post cardio? And is the coconut oil 1.5hrs or so before cardio ok b/c its probably burned up by then?

I guess it depends on how you're looking at it. Personally, I feel that worrying about how much fat you're burning during a specific cardio session is about as usefull as worrying about how much muscle growth is promoted during single training session.

I used to be a fasted, morning cardio kind of guy but I saw the light. Bottom line is you're body is always storing nutrients and then burning the off. Eating a meal consisting of a couple of hundred calories - mostly carbs with a little protein - equals a far superior cardio session for me.

With pre cardio calories, you may not tap body fat right away but you'll perform better, esspecially at higher intensities. If you're dieting, you're burning most of your calories between meals anyway - not on the cardio machine. The Cardio is just there to spike met rate a bit and accelerate the outcome of the diet (disregarding other benefits of cardio for a moment).

I've always been a super high intensity cardio kind of guy, probably to my detriment. I love sprint work, old Foodball speed drills, Power Skating, hiking, Vomit inducing bike work. Even while dieting, I would always take in at least 50 grams of carbs before doing sprint work. Bottom line: you just can't do it well otherwise (at least I can't).

What's your goal? If it's fat loss, then I would skip the shake and oil.

I personally wouldn't do cardio after having carbs immediately prior to your session (intra workout shake), however the option you mentioned with coconut oil will work, I would try (if possible) to consume another protein and fat/veggie meal after your morning cardio. The key to burning fat is controlling insulin in the body.

I try and get fasted cardio in 4x per week, now in offseason. Ill bump it up to 5-6 in spring. If I cant get fasted cardio in due to schedule, I'll eat one of my afternoon meals at around 2pm, then @ 5pm I'll get cardio in.
My last carb meal is 12noon, so Im without carbs for 5 hours. Insulin level is nice & low.

I try and get fasted cardio in 4x per week, now in offseason. Ill bump it up to 5-6 in spring. If I cant get fasted cardio in due to schedule, I'll eat one of my afternoon meals at around 2pm, then @ 5pm I'll get cardio in.
My last carb meal is 12noon, so Im without carbs for 5 hours. Insulin level is nice & low.
I'm similar. My last carbs are done about noon. I'm carb free the rest of the day aside from salad, and then train at 4:00am. I do cardio after training for 30 minutes or so, then my post workout protein shake. My next two meals typically have oatmeal in one, then a small amount of rice or sweet potato in the other. After that no more.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

When I used to completely anal about every aspect of diet and training the first time I tried prepping for a show, I used to do fasted cardio and did a scoop of whey isolate, 1 cup eggwhites with 10 grams of mct oil as a shake and wait 2 hours before my next meal which would have carbs.

The result? I did get very very lean but I wouldn't say any more or less than if I had carbs afterwards.

Always a fan of fasted cardio if doing it in the morning though. But don't think that's necessary either.

Yes goal is dieting. I don't understand why some do fasted cardio. If you only have protein in your system you will burn fat equally as if you were fasting but at least your not muscle wasting since you more anabolic Fon the protein right? I would think at the very least some bcaa's instead of fasting.

Yes goal is dieting. I don't understand why some do fasted cardio. If you only have protein in your system you will burn fat equally as if you were fasting but at least your not muscle wasting since you more anabolic Fon the protein right? I would think at the very least some bcaa's instead of fasting.

But what's to say that fasted cardio is muscle wasting? Almost all of the literature I've read (say almost since I'm sure I haven't read it all) doesn't show any greater catabolic effects of fasted exercise kept under a 24 hour fasting period.

Plus I'm assuming more than a few people on here aren't natural and some of these supplements are very anti-catabolic.

What kind of cardio? Hiit? Miss? Liss?

Over the course of an entire diet program, all other things constant, there is zero benefit to doing cardio in a fasted state.

If you actually enjoy performing endrance work in a depleted state, go for it. If you're doing it because you think you're burning more fat over an entire diet plan, you may want to read some entry level material on how your body uses energy.

Over the course of an entire diet program, all other things constant, there is zero benefit to doing cardio in a fasted state.

If you actually enjoy performing endrance work in a depleted state, go for it. If you're doing it because you think you're burning more fat over an entire diet plan, you may want to read some entry level material on how your body uses energy.
I agree 100% I'm currently in the process of getting lean for once instead of worrying about being big. At first I tried the fasted cardio sessions and after a few times almost passing out until I slammed some simple sugars I gave it up. I'm now down over 40lbs-still continue to lose body fat eating carbs before cardio.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

I agree 100% I'm currently in the process of getting lean for once instead of worrying about being big. At first I tried the fasted cardio sessions and after a few times almost passing out until I slammed some simple sugars I gave it up. I'm now down over 40lbs-still continue to lose body fat eating carbs before cardio.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Yeah, it's amazing how many people follow bro science on this one. I burn fat the fastest on a balanced diet. I don't go crazy with carbs mind you. I usually stay around 250-300 grams per day. 200- 250 protein and I add just a little bit of olive oil, avacado and almonds. I try to keep everything super lean. I know people afvocate for higher fats but that another concept I don't see any sense in. When trying to lose body fat, eating a bunch of "good fat" just makes it take longer. nothing gets stored as body fat faster than dietary fat.

if cardio is meant to give a metabolic boost and that burns more fat the rest of the day, then why do it fasted?
if u have carbs, glycogen stores are high, u can go more intense for a little longer and that would spike that metabolic rate higher.
when i was younger i tried low carbs cuz i needed to lose 2-3 inches on my fat waist. i road biked and it didnt work at all.
i upped carbs by a bunch and my rides were faster and more intense and i lost 3 inches on my waist in 3 weeks.
maybe doing hit style intervals is different, i dont know. but if ur gonna do 30-45 minutes then carbs is the way. for me, anyway.
and as many studiies as there are that show fasted doesnt waste muscle, there are ones showing it does and even some bcaas b4, maybe whey powder an hour b4 will help.

Yeah, it's amazing how many people follow bro science on this one. I burn fat the fastest on a balanced diet. I don't go crazy with carbs mind you. I usually stay around 250-300 grams per day. 200- 250 protein and I add just a little bit of olive oil, avacado and almonds. I try to keep everything super lean. I know people afvocate for higher fats but that another concept I don't see any sense in. When trying to lose body fat, eating a bunch of "good fat" just makes it take longer. nothing gets stored as body fat faster than dietary fat.

Bro science is speculation, what I am saying and others that do fasted (no carbs) cardio is factual, BIG difference.
Your statement about dietary fat is slowing down the rate at which you burn fat:confused: IS bro science. I diet on a 150-200 grams of fat along 200-250 carbs and I get plenty lean.

Anyways not here to argue about bro science this or that, there are more than 2 ways to skin a cat. what works for joey wont work johnny ;)

Last edited:
Bro science is speculation, what I am saying and others that do fasted (no carbs) cardio is factual, BIG difference.
Your statement about dietary fat is slowing down the rate at which you burn fat:confused: IS bro science. I diet on a 150-200 grams of fat along 200-250 carbs and I get plenty lean.

Anyways not here to argue about bro science this or that, there are more than 2 ways to skin a cat. what works for joey wont work johnny ;)

Not unfair and not argument intended. Just to clarify though. I'm not suggesting that during that specific cardio activity, more fat will not be burned when in a fasted state. I agree that during the activity, you will burn more fat when blood sugar is low and muscle/liver glycogen are relatively depleted. I do realize that this is factual. Never disputed it.

What I AM suggesting is that over the course of say a 16 week diet, take any two guys exactly the same in every way (not that this exists) and I just don't think you'll see any appreciable difference between the guy who did fasted cardio and the guy who didn't.

As for the dietary fat comment. I'm just saying that during a momentary calorie surplus, pretty much after every meal, nothing is stored as fat faster than dietary fat. It doesn't need any conversion. I would rather keep the energy sources lean.

Like you said, cats get skinless either way. In some ways, we are probably saying a simlar thing.

I think a lot of people do it as it has been shown that natural GH levels increase when in a fasted state. I think the studies showed higher and higher levels the longer you went until about the 28-29 hour mark before declining..(I would have to look for them). But elevated GH is supposed to free up FFA's and you need a way to burn them off?

Add supplemental GH into the equation and it changes.

Me...I do it because it's the only time of day that I am at the gym so I get it over with. Also I like to take my gh when my blood sugar is lowest which is right after waking.

But I have done workout and cardio for years without any food in my system. I like it better and it hasn't affected my progress. There have been occasional days where I would miss a workout during the week and do it on Saturday which typically occurred after having 1-2 meals before going.

I just didn't care for it and could never tell any difference in my performance.

I think a lot of people do it as it has been shown that natural GH levels increase when in a fasted state. I think the studies showed higher and higher levels the longer you went until about the 28-29 hour mark before declining..(I would have to look for them). But elevated GH is supposed to free up FFA's and you need a way to burn them off?

Add supplemental GH into the equation and it changes.

Me...I do it because it's the only time of day that I am at the gym so I get it over with. Also I like to take my gh when my blood sugar is lowest which is right after waking.

But I have done workout and cardio for years without any food in my system. I like it better and it hasn't affected my progress. There have been occasional days where I would miss a workout during the week and do it on Saturday which typically occurred after having 1-2 meals before going.

I just didn't care for it and could never tell any difference in my performance.

Whatever works, works. I think people exaggerate the benefits, and pitfalls, of fasted cardio. Bottom line: some guys don't like doing cardio with food in their systems. Also, it's really activity dependant.

If the goal is to do a leisurely, fat ass stroll on the treadmill for an hour, like I see many guys do, nutritional support is probably not required.

If you're hitting the track for a 4 sets of 400 meter sprints or tyring for your personal record on a 4 mile tempo run, being depleted is not going to get you to your goal.

Whatever works, works. I think people exaggerate the benefits, and pitfalls, of fasted cardio. Bottom line: some guys don't like doing cardio with food in their systems. Also, it's really activity dependant.

If the goal is to do a leisurely, fat ass stroll on the treadmill for an hour, like I see many guys do, nutritional support is probably not required.

If you're hitting the track for a 4 sets of 400 meter sprints or tyring for your personal record on a 4 mile tempo run, being depleted is not going to get you to your goal.
Oh...I agree. But to be honest I'm not doing cardio for weight loss as I can do that with diet. I'm doing it for the benefit of heart health among other things as I have gotten older.

I don't do sprints, but do average about three 8-10 minute miles back to back daily while depleted. Gets my heart range up where I want.... Then I'm good.

I just don't do well with food in my system. I train intensely enough, and just feel nauseated if I do.

Oh...I agree. But to be honest I'm not doing cardio for weight loss as I can do that with diet. I'm doing it for the benefit of heart health among other things as I have gotten older.

I don't do sprints, but do average about three 8-10 minute miles back to back daily while depleted. Gets my heart range up where I want.... Then I'm good.

I just don't do well with food in my system. I train intensely enough, and just feel nauseated if I do.

Being nauseated is a common problem for most people. Definitely something that discourages eating too close to a workout, which is also not a great plan.

Hey doing some 3 mile jogs is perfect. very good for the overall healthy benefits.

I'm trying to get back myself. I had a skiing accident a year and a half ago that really screwed my knee up. I completely tore my ACL, PCL and MCL and had Miniscuss damage. I had to have the major ligs completely replaced (cadaver parts). It's been a long road back.

Before that I was a cardio junkie. 10 mile jogs, sprint work, food ball speed drills, skating, biking etc. If my hair wasn't on fire, I didn't consider it cardio. Hitting the anearobic threshold was a requirement for me to get that high that you get. One of my favorite preworkout meals, don't laugh, was 3 slices of white bread, grape Jelly and Fluff. I made a jelly and fluff club sandwhich! LOL

Any compettitve guys reading this are probably laughing their asses off at this dietary debacle but believe me it was good fuel for this kind of work.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
commonplaceconsulting
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131